Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

How do we know if it's a
    Dublin based plane?

Can anyone answer this , Im supposed to be flying to tenerife on 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

scwazrh wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this , Im supposed to be flying to tenerife on 12th

Dublin based

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Does anyone know Can you cancel your flight for a refund or is it wait and see what happens?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The next week is likely to be busy on the Ryanair discussion side. Please use this thread for questions about possible cancellations, we'll try to keep the focus on that aspect, and please put discussions about the industrial relations aspects of the strike in the other thread that's been started today.

The same rules apply here as in other threads. No playing the poster, you can agree to differ, but not be obnoxious about another poster, and any inappropriate or offensive comments about airline senior management will be sanctioned or result in a ban. You have been warned

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If people's flights are cancelled due to the strike could they offer then flights the next day ,or next available flight like with bad weather just wondering

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I am supposed to be flying out to Tenerife from Dublin the morning of the 12th of July at 7:05 AM.

Would I be right in saying that this flight will more than likely be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I am supposed to be flying out to Tenerife from Dublin the morning of the 12th of July at 7:05 AM.

Flying out to Lisbon that morning also. Absolute nightmare !

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

That is a Dublin-based aircraft so yes, if it goes ahead it will almost definitely be cancelled/severely delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ZX7R wrote: »
    If people's flights are cancelled due to the strike could they offer then flights the next day ,or next available flight like with bad weather just wondering

If they have seats available on later flights, yes it would be in their interest to do that.

But since this is right in the middle of the busy season, I suspect they will have limited capability to do it.

That is a Dublin-based aircraft so yes, if it goes ahead it will almost definitely be cancelled/severely delayed.

and the likelihood of this strike taking place do we think?

am I best to start looking at alternative flights with other airlines/different dates, etc...

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Are the Ryanair cabin crew going announce today what days they are planning to strike?

and the likelihood of this strike taking place do we think?

am I best to start looking at alternative flights with other airlines/different dates, etc...

Thank you.

You mightn’t find any cheap alternatives at this stage, especially to the Canaries. Take a look on skyscanner.net

Nobody knows if the strike will go ahead - we’ll have to wait and see. Ryanair would be silly to let it go ahead as it’ll cause massive disruption to the schedule, not only on the 12th, but for days after it. I’m sure O Leary would love a hero story of him sorting out the problem as well. However he might be so stubborn as to let it go ahead and not give in, which he said before at the same threat he would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I keep hearing the strike referring to Dublin pilots - is it 'just' Dublin affected, or are Cork and Shannon as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You mightn’t find any cheap alternatives at this stage, especially to the Canaries. Take a look on skyscanner.net

Nobody knows if the strike will go ahead - we’ll have to wait and see. Ryanair would be silly to let it go ahead as it’ll cause massive disruption to the schedule, not only on the 12th, but for days after it. I’m sure O Leary would love a hero story of him sorting out the problem as well. However he might be so stubborn as to let it go ahead and not give in, which he said before at the same threat he would do.

Thank you so much for your replies, and sorry for all the questions.

Can I ask have strikes like this before been threatened? and when they have, have they gone ahead?

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just flying out on the 10th with another airline now. It'll cost me the guts of €500 for the two of us for the flights and 2 nights accommodation.

but if the likelihood is that my flight will be cancelled, I'll get the guys of €300 refunded.

I think it might be better safe than sorry in this situation.

Opinions?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Ive a flight on the next day, the 13th, whats the chances of this being affected?, ie will they have all their planes in the correct locations due to the strike on the 12th? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

How do I find out if my flight is dublin based? Meant to be flying to Madrid on the 12th, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Moreilly wrote: »
    Ive a flight on the next day, the 13th, whats the chances of this being affected?, ie will they have all their planes in the correct locations due to the strike on the 12th? :confused::confused:

Thats what I would like to know as well

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    How do I find out if my flight is dublin based? Meant to be flying to Madrid on the 12th, thanks

if your plane goes DUB-MAD-DUB then it's likely Dublin based. If it goes MAD-DUB-MAD then it's Madrid based. You can usually tell by looking at the schedule - if the return leg is 25 mins after the arrival time then it's returning back to base.

edit: 35 mins in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Chances are that the strike will just ground the Dublin based planes so they will be still in position. However they may move planes or pilots around to try combat the disruption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I’d say most likely it will be fine, but of course the chance of having a problem will be a bit higher than on an average day.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

looking at the schedule, i think the plane is due to land in dublin just before the strike starts late Wednesday night, if its delayed at all taking off im guessing the flight inbound wont go ahead as they would effectively be working during the strike, cant really go on strike mid air i guess !!, so i guess there is a chance of my plane not sitting on the tarmac in Dublin on Friday..... i hope im wrong.... :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

looking at the schedule, i think the plane is due to land in dublin just before the strike starts late Wednesday night, if its delayed at all taking off im guessing the flight inbound wont go ahead as they would effectively be working during the strike, cant really go on strike mid air i guess !!, so i guess there is a chance of my plane not sitting on the tarmac in Dublin on Friday..... i hope im wrong.... :(:(

If the flight lands in Dublin the night before it means it's Dublin based, hence will possibly be affected by the strike.

To be honest, we don't know a). How many flights ryanair will still operate and b). If they'll hire in to lessen impact. We can't say which flights will and will not operate! We also cannot say what your chances of cancellation are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    if your plane goes DUB-MAD-DUB then it's likely Dublin based. If it goes MAD-DUB-MAD then it's Madrid based. You can usually tell by looking at the schedule - if the return leg is 25 mins after the arrival time then it's returning back to base.

Ok.

Mine is as follows, Thur 12-Jul:

DUB-MUC
    1710-2030

MUC-DUB, my flight home
    2110-2240

Now, the turnaround is not the usual 25mins, it's 40 mins??

Have strikes like this one been threatened before?

If so, did they end up going ahead?

How likely is this going by history?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Geuze wrote: »
    Ok.

Mine is as follows, Thur 12-Jul:

DUB-MUC
    1710-2030

MUC-DUB, my flight home
    2110-2240

Now, the turnaround is not the usual 25mins, it's 40 mins??

Dublin is one of only a few airports that still does 25 minute turnarounds, it’s a minimum of 35 minutes in most airports now. Your MUC flight is a Dublin based aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Flights the day after a strike are likely to be affected - thats almost a given

Thank you so much for your replies, and sorry for all the questions.

Can I ask have strikes like this before been threatened? and when they have, have they gone ahead?

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just flying out on the 10th with another airline now. It'll cost me the guts of €500 for the two of us for the flights and 2 nights accommodation.

but if the likelihood is that my flight will be cancelled, I'll get the guys of €300 refunded.

I think it might be better safe than sorry in this situation.

Opinions?

Thanks again.

Better safe than sorry as you said. This will ruin your trip. The day you’ll lose will be made up for if you just fork out the money for your own peace of mind also.

• Advertisement

Have strikes like this one been threatened before?

If so, did they end up going ahead?

How likely is this going by history?

Well they were stopped before Christmas because they took Ryanair’s bluff. That ain’t happening this time around - fooled once not twice blah blah whatever that saying is 😂. I would imagine they’ll go ahead with it unless Ryanair give solid and definite promises, but it’s almost too short a timespan to implement anything solid anyway, so who knows.

Advertisement