Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How do you know this?

Personally know the people above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    She's in this situation and has a 10 week old kid? Wtf happened to personal responsibility?

No doubt she'll have another kid soon to move herself up the housing list.

Parasites like this should be sterilised.

You would have fitted right in to 1930's Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    She's in this situation and has a 10 week old kid? Wtf happened to personal responsibility?

No doubt she'll have another kid soon to move herself up the housing list.

Parasites like this should be sterilised.
    Is that policy on Craggy Island Father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

"Ms Thornton first went on the housing list with Louth County Council when she was 18."

Lola-May though.
    No child deserves that, ginger hair and all.

why it say shes been on it for 12 years then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Cancel sky tv for long time scrougers. Is amazes me when i enter a council estate how many dishes are haning from the wall. Sky is a luxury and expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Tigger wrote: »
    why it say shes been on it for 12 years then?

You're right, it should be 14!

(She might have been off it 2?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

They must have called very early in the morning to take the photograph, poor girl looks to still in her PJs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You're right, it should be 14!

(She might have been off it 2?)

its confusing me

GIVE ME A HOUSE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I believe low paid workers should be helped where possible, those unwilling to work like the person in the article should be pointed towards the ports.

This. A way to do this IMO is support for part time studying, there is currently no support for part time students (you can claim a small amount of your fees back in tax). I started where I work now on low wages but have worked hard to put myself through college and in work, to now, less than 5 years later be taking home almost twice what I started on.

Housing support should be provided for the elderly and the generally ill with a small amount being held aside to help people get back on their feet. My brother has psychiatric issues and is unable to function as an anyway normal person. Cannot work while refusing to take medication and being unable to understand how ill he is. In an ideal world my parents or me or one of my siblings could take him in, but I rent a one bed and my siblings have children so he cannot live with them (nor do they have space for him).

Sense of entitlement in this country with stuff like housing drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

We need to get rid of the welfare state - it's destroying the country.

If you don't work then you should not expect to live at the same standard as those who do. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

If you don't work then you should not expect to live at the same standard as those who do. Simple as that.
    And what party is going to do that? Renua?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The woman child in the article is looking for a free house. Hasn't worked a day in her life, doesn't seem to expect to work again in the future. Her rent could be E188 a week WHEN she gets it, that E188 is free money she gets on the dole. She and the like of her contribute NOTHING, the VAT and tax she pays on smokes, drink and whatever else she buys, is just recycled back out to her next dole day.

it also contributes to other services from which we all benefit. all our tax money is as "recycled" at the end of the day as her dole money.
    At an obscenely pathetic rate and from money they are given without contributing anything.

nope, a lot, if not most, social housing tenants work. the whole point of the system is to provide housing for people who are unable to afford housing from the private rental market or those who are unmortgagible.
    That's the problem with apologists - too much on the rights, nothing on the associated responsibilities.

the rights are vital and benefit us all by protecting us from a state going rogue. the responsibilities are irrelevant to those rights. 99% of people are abiding by the responsibilities they believe they have.
    Disabled man told tough **** yesterday by Tipperary County Council.

Meanwhile a house was recently purchased for a family who had previously defaulted on arrears they owed in a house in Borrisoleigh.

Start of the year a family who wrecked a house in 2001 got an apartment off the council in Thurles.

Person who gave up a home was rehoused 6 months later despite being barred from applying for 12 months.

Single disabled (physically/psychologically) men/women are the most discriminated when it comes to allocations and are the most likely to end up homeless.

I'll shut up about it now.

She needs 80 convictions and a drug dealing boyfriend to qualify.

completely wrong i would agree and people must put pressure on the council down there to help this disabled man out as per their obligations. i certainly wouldn't shut up about this.

we don't need to get rid of the wellfare state it's not destroying the country. it can't be done as it would cost us more long term and cause social and other problems. for all it's faults it's the cheapist option. people on wellfare don't live at the same standard as those of us who work. it's as simple as that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Personally know the people above.

Think my friend in the pub knows them too

littelady wrote: »
    Cancel sky tv for long time scrougers. Is amazes me when i enter a council estate how many dishes are haning from the wall. Sky is a luxury and expensive

You've heard of freeview right?

Yes it's everyone on welfare that's destroying the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

There's no party that brave!

All they're worried about is perks and pensions.

The dole will increase in the next budget then they'll call an election just when the increase kicks in next January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You've heard of freeview right?

Oh I never thought of freeview ....well that should be cancelled too....in fact no tv for all long term dossers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Oh I never thought of freeview ....well that should be cancelled too....in fact no tv for all long term dossers

Nice little police state your planning on introducing.

And radio also let's not forget radio :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Haven't read the thread yet. Has anybody come out in defence of this waste of oxygen so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

Donal55 wrote: »
    And what party is going to do that? Renua?

Who?
    we don't need to get rid of the wellfare state it's not destroying the country. it can't be done as it would cost us more long term and cause social and other problems. for all it's faults it's the cheapist option. people on wellfare don't live at the same standard as those of us who work. it's as simple as that.

Oh, it's you again - the guy that knows literally nothing about economics....hasn't stopped you from spouting your insane anti-science pseudo religion.
    Yes it's everyone on welfare that's destroying the country.

The entire concept of social welfare is a loss as resources are redirected to areas that would not have otherwise benefited. You're paying people not to be productive. In essence, there is an entire class of people in this country that are, for all intents and purposes, leeching and draining dry the productiveness of our economy. It's akin to a festering cancer in the body that is weakening, killing, it's victim and must be removed in much the same way that a snakes head must be removed from the body with one swift blow.

Without the welfare state many young women will remain in education and become productive members of our economy - many men will return to education or be absorbed into the workforce in some capacity where they will obtain experience to decorate their CV for future employment opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

can't be done. free view is free so there is nothing to cancel.
    Without the welfare state many young women will remain in education and become productive members of our economy - many men will return to education or be absorbed into the workforce in some capacity where they will obtain experience to decorate their CV for future employment opportunities.

yes, those who would be planning on doing so anyway would. those who wouldn't won't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Divide and conquer works great in Ireland. A nation of begrudgers. Should we not be more worried as a society of the tax evasion in this country instead of people who are on benefits. The dole and rent allowance costs the country around 10 billion a year, a drop in the ocean compared to big corporations tax avoidance on this island. The aviation industries tax relief alone per annum totals around half a billion a year, then you have European banks getting tax reliefs that are in the billions each year.

It was always going to end this way, citizen turning against citizen. It's what the establishment do "Look at those people over there" whilst they make off like gangsters.

Unfortunately the average Irish voter has an incredibly low IQ and falls for it again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

It was always going to end this way, citizen turning against citizen. It's what the establishment do "Look at those people over there" whilst they make off like gangsters.
    The "establishment" don't make people exploit the welfare system. People are responsible for their own actions and decisions.

How come you're pretty right-wing about everything but suddenly so liberal only in relation to people who exploit the welfare system (and, by proxy, other people) and pretend there is no distinction between them and people who actually need social supports?

Spider Web wrote: »
    The "establishment" don't make people exploit the welfare system. People are responsible for their own actions and decisions.

How come you're pretty right-wing about everything but suddenly so liberal only in relation to people who exploit the welfare system (and, by proxy, other people) and pretend there is no distinction between them and people who actually need social supports?

I'm sorry point out where i said i supported anyone exploiting the welfare system. Also if i don't fit into a little right, left, liberal or what ever box then tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We need more social insurance, for those who paid PRSI.

We need less social assistance, for those who haven't paid PRSI.

Make a bigger difference between SI and SA.

At the moment: JSB = JSA

Cont SP = 238.30
    Non-con SP = 227

You get 11 euro more pw for paying PRSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I'm sorry point out where i said i supported anyone exploiting the welfare system.
    Because you won't accept any criticism of them - and you keep throwing snipes at people who have valid concerns about this type of abuse of the public pot, and you aren't distinguishing between the exploiters and the genuinely needy. You're acting as though criticism of the exploiters is criticism of the needy also. It's not - they are two separate groups.

It's at odds with the views of Trump and Hook and all that crowd you love.

Spider Web wrote: »
    Because you won't accept any criticism of them - and you keep throwing snipes at people who have valid concerns about this type of abuse of the public pot, and you aren't distinguishing between the exploiters and the genuinely needy. You're acting as though criticism of the exploiters is criticism of the needy also. It's not - they are two separate groups.

It's at odds with the views of Trump and Hook and all that crowd you love.

The thread isn't about Hook or Trump.

I won't have everyone on welfare or social housing scapegoated to fit an agenda. There is nothing illegal about claiming welfare btw and it's a tiny percentage of people who exploit the system.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Ah sure why don't we keep bashing people on welfare.

Or even better to be able to post on the forums a current p60 is required.

Not all that are homeless are wasters. Quite a lot work but still cannot afford to rent or buy at the crazy prices nowadays. But sure let's still run them down :(

Good post. In the short time iv'e been on this site Iv'e actually seen posts calling for people on welfare not be allowed vote i sh it you not. Bizarre stuff but like iv'e said before im just glad it's not a fair reflection on society and we remain a people willing to give a helping hand to those less fortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Again I'm fully behind stopping the system being scammed and won't make excuses for someone like the lady in the article

But

Ok let's say in your dream the welfare state is gone

Leaving aside all the elderly, disabled and invalids that will be essentially tossed to the streets

Say we have another recession with what 400,000 out of work, like last time. What happens if their credits run out before they find a job which for the majority was a few years before getting back into employment, might I add a lot of education was provided through welfare state programs

Not only that but no rent allowance or social housing even in hotels, again as the welfare state is gone.

What's your assumption they'll happily sit on the side of the road like famine victims begging for alms?

If I lost my job and had no supports or way of emigrating whatsoever I can tell I won't think twice of cleaning out your gaff after knocking you over the head and the best part is people would actually claim to be shocked when most would do the same.

Don't give me any BS about if their a decent human being they won't cause when the chips are down those that couldn't leave the country and that have a choice between starving while watching their kids starve won't be long turning on you

We don't have British with guns like during the famine or the good old Priests frightening people into bing too honest for their own good as "stealing is a sin lads, now I'm off back to the Parochial house for a cherry and steak and dinner God be with ye"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement