Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an ex-prisoner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What, in your experience, was the most realistic prison movie you've seen?

Thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Do you think chain gangs and hard manual labour would be more productive use of time for inmates than allowing to so much idle time if they are not involved in study? in your opinion would it work to encourage prisoners not to re-offend?

Well done by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What was the arrest like. Was the interview hard. Where you ever tempted to skip bail and go on the run here or overseas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

What was the arrest like. Was the interview hard. Where you ever tempted to skip bail and go on the run here or overseas

Don't want to answer this wrongly or hijack the brutally honest & bloody brilliant thread by the OP.

I'd imagine all arrests vary and depend on the crime, their family/relationship/employment situation.

Also factors like no matter the crime, if it's your first time, what the peelers're like etc.

I've been arrested. 2wice.

Once by appt. when I went down the local barracks so no fuss; nobody knew who I was or why I was going in behind the scenes.

Searched/patted down, empty pockets.

Asked why're you carrying X, Y or Z (knives in my case; a work thing; nothing dodge); sign for what they took, custody record.

Then brought down interview rm., statement/s read out, asked if anything in it from the complainant/s you disagree on.

I just sang like a canary; agreed with everything, said yes to all of it & gtf out of there.

Wasn't even put in a cell.

No solr. with me but as it was my second arrest & I was on home ground I knew the score; a solr. was appointed alright but he was happy enough to let me do it alone on my own.

Interview rms.'re not the most attractive; carpet's rough as sandpaper; chairs (3; 1 for you, 2 for them) are bolted to floor so no leaning back trying to play it all Cagney & Lacey or Jake & the Fatman like.

Second one happened before the first as it happens.

Bit different. Was in the scratcher; a fellow tenant let the f*****s in instead of saying I wasn't in/at home like he'd been instructed to.

No time for niceties like shower & shave or first trip of the day to the loo; not even breakfast.

Dopey eyed I got dressed, ponied up equipment to be seized (electronic stuff; phone/laptop) and was put into cage in back of a mini paddy wagon.

Driven away off up road then for two hours before being brought in & processed.

Photo taken against a height measure; left, right & centre.

Fingerprints not done but they were done in other arrest; both barracks in different districts.

That time I was put in a cell alright; remand one, presumably they don't double up in 'em even temporarily as only one single concrete (?) bed; not even an itchy blanket.

Had nothing to read only the arrest protocols/prisoner rights on a sheet.

Belt & shoes & jacket left outside of the door on the floor; not even a locker the cads. :)

When being taken out for questioning I don't think I was let put them back on even temporarily.

Was awarded/supplied with a duty solr. (FLA) from a list; think it was a case of Eenie-Meanie, Miney Mo (or however you spell that!) who'd to travel 45 mins.

He sat in with me (me wearing an Anger is an Energy Tee-Shirt!), had to sign the video recordings (2) after statements taken/given.

Yes sir, no sir, two bags full sir.

Put back in then and let out shortly after; twelve hour detention if necessary; got out within 3-4 hours as it was straight-forward.

One thing I was told at first arrest was I'd be given a breakfast/lunch from nearby McDonalds; lads I'm still waiting!

Was also told I'd be dropped back home that evening; I fell hook line + sinker for that one.

What that did though, and I wonder did the OP experience something similar here, was that I found out who my friends were..........or weren't.

I was in a panic; had no phone since it was confiscated so had to go down the old-fashioned route.

Used a hotels reception desk phone but they quickly ran out of patience there; I was trying to figure out what to do, who to call etc., how I was getting home.

Rang someone who was working 30 mins. away; said I needed a lift & explained situation; they were going my way anyway three quarters of it any road and I would've made my way there.

Said they couldn't (wouldn't!) because they were already carrying 1-2, maybe 3 others to & from work that week.

It'd've been a once-off, I'd've bunked in, hunkered down for the hour and halfs journey or so.

Suck it up buttercup as they say but nope, no. Learnt a valuable lesson that day.

One thing for the OP & indeed Mark25 and anyone else with experience reading these posts.

Cell I was in there was a rectangular flat, built into the floor, stainless steel (?) type jacks.

Was this for urinating in only or.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was there loads of line dancing like in the Podge and Rodge video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Don't want to answer this wrongly or hijack the brutally honest & bloody brilliant thread by the OP.

<snip>

I'm hooked! When's the novel coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

What was it like being away from then internet for 3 years? Were there any lads inside for so long they never knew what the internet was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks for all your honest replies - really interesting read.

You wrote briefly about mental health. Were prisoners with illnesses like schizophrenia housed in a seperate area or were you all mixed together? How were prescription meds organised? Did people conceal them from the nurse then sell them on?
    I saw this happen on 60 Days in and it was scary. I know that's an American jail etc but I wondered if it could happen here.

One more question- do you like watching prison films/ documentaries now or do you avoid them like the plague?

Good luck for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Such an interesting AMA, thanks for being so frank about it all. You have a brilliant sense of humour and it sounds like you did the best you could in prison to improve your circumstances and when you got out, it must be difficult to adjust.

As for your question about dating, I actually did have a brief fling with a guy who'd been in prison for about three years. I knew he'd been in prison and I wasn't the one to end it, we were really young though and he was just recently out so I think he needed to have some fun. Now that I am older it would depend on the crime, especially if violence was involved, and if the person was remorseful or likely to end up in prison again. For example, if I met you and went on a date with you and you told me your circumstances then I don't think it would put me off, I respect the efforts you've made with regards to your education, work and addiction issues. It's just my opinion but if I were you I'd probably wait a few dates in, so they have an idea of whether they like you or not but you are not in too deep yet, as it might feel like a betrayal finding out six months down the line. Best of luck for the future :)
    As I'm married it's not something I've ever given thought to but if I was single and if I really liked the person and what they were in for hadn't harmed another person then I would consider it. Maybe not something to throw in on first date but if it's going somewhere tell then
    Very interesting read
    fmpisces wrote: »
    Wow what an endearing read! I applaud you for your candidness in respect of all your replies. It's great to see that you are getting your life on track.

Dating someone who has been in prison is not something I ever actually thought about, but me being me, I like to give people a chance. Have to say that someone being completely honest about their past upon first meeting might throw me a little at first, and I'd quite possibly stumble out a few awkward questions to find out a bit more (but better to get that out of the way) and take it from there. Being upfront is huge to me but then so would be the nature of the crime. There'd be some crimes that I just could not overlook, no matter how repentant the guy was or how reformed he is now. Just my 2 cents.

But fair play to you, and I wish you all the best in the future! :)
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Great ama. I'm imagining you as a brooding Wentworth Miller type- you did say you were good-looking :P

Il just answer all these ones at once! Im really delighted to get your feedback on the issue, its really an eye opener. It is something Ive struggled with. I normally take the tact off holding off for a few dates first but it can back fire so to speak, or they use another excuse but I always know the real reason.

As for the Wentworth Miller comment....Im probably slightly better looking :) but maybe you will never know or............

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ha great, we might get a Boardsie couple out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Great AMA by the way, thanks OP.

I think people are extremely misinformed (or ignorant) about drug use and demonising drug addicts (or alcoholics) because they can't control their compulsions only isolates them and makes it harder for them to come back into society.

I have visited the mountjoy training centre for support groups. Was there New Year's Eve once and nearly got locked in because we couldn't find a Gard to let us out!

One thing I learned from a hard looking and sounding prisoner is that some people are born into crime. He told me stories about how he was brought up to hate the police and it wasn't until this support group (where a police officer was trying to help him ) that he realised that police are people too...

I find it sad that people jump on the "lock em up " mantra without thinking if long term consequences or benefits of doing that. It's quite a religious stance "eye for an eye" whereas rehabilitation, re integration and support would possibly yield greater results for everybody.

Sorry, I digresss.... (I use that word when I want to sound intelligent)

My question is, what do you think about Portugal decriminalising personal drug use ?

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Firstly fascinating thread, fair play to you and glad that you managed to turn your life around. I'm sure many of us have made mistakes and done silly things in our younger, more reckless days and perhaps more through luck than judgement got away with it, so there's an element of "there but for the grace of (insert deity of choice) go I".

Speaking of religion, now comes my question. You touched on religion earlier and said it wasn't an issue, so perhaps this isn't relevant at all - and if so that's a good thing! However it is depicted in the media and the phenomena of "convenience Muslims" is mentioned in the Wiki article below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_to_Islam_in_prisons

Is there an element of religious coercion, pressure to convert to certain religion(s) by force or manuipulation, to fit in or in order to benefit from special food and privileges?

In other words, on release do some people have a beard and a different imaginary friend? :)

I didnt encounter any converting, maybe they didnt want me in their sect!! Sure I was bad enough at going to mass never mind jumping down to my knees a few times a day and carry around a mat!
    dj jarvis wrote: »
    Snitches get stitches i presume

Yes! Rats get thier ears cut!
    Did you ever cry/get very upset in prison or would other prisoners be emotional?

How did your family find out you were caught?

Im not ashamed to admit I shed some tears at times. Still get emotional today too. Im a big softie really but being on oyur own with your thoughts can be tough. I was a ****er for beating myself up!
    Is there a hierarchy of prisoners in relation to their crimes? If so, how does that work out on a day to day basis?

Also, do you think it's all about prisoners just trying to minimise the effect of their crime, relative to what they see is a greater crime committed by other prisoners?

No hierarchy really regards offences, there is just a hierarchy!!
    They say Prisons are Universities of Crime. Did you learn anything while you where there?

Just had a mad thought. How do think a unisex prison would work? (Prison Officer could answer this as well!!) :)

Unisex prisons???? Does yer man still wanna give that €50k???
    It would be madnesss!! It would be like a giant baby making factory!

As for it being a universtity. People meet people...people get ideas. People hear stories and try recreate them.
    snowflaker wrote: »
    My question would be- what would you say those "lock em up and throw away the key" type posters on boards?

Id say I hope your son/daughter is never a bold boy!
    Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Going to have fun reading both the questions and answers here so fair play fella (I think that can be assumed?) for doing this.

Do you feel the stigma associated with being a convicted person, much less a prisoner is unfair?

I'd be of opinion you treat people according to their crime and don't rule them out of all employment & voluntary roles.

How've you fared in relation to your work life and have you tried for voluntary roles?

Yes you don't let someone with a conviction for paedophilia work with children no matter how far in the past it was or how much they've rehabilitated (though some may argue under supervision and if they underwent chemical castration & the/ir urges lessened, it should be a remote possibility under certain circumstances.....).

But I know of say, a volunteer centre in Ireland who say any offences against State or Person is automatically excluded.

Appeals're pointless; box ticking exercise.

Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut is that.

I think with employers as much as people its a case of they maight want to give you a chance but are afraid of what people will think of them for being associated with you!
    Arghus wrote: »
    What, in your experience, was the most realistic prison movie you've seen?

Thanks for taking the time.

Not quite sure theres bits in all of them I genuinely have a giggle at for being so ridiculous !
    Do you think chain gangs and hard manual labour would be more productive use of time for inmates than allowing to so much idle time if they are not involved in study? in your opinion would it work to encourage prisoners not to re-offend?

Well done by the way!
    Whatever way you look at that it is exploitation!

Terrifying, and Id forgotten my Mickey Mouse Tshirt!
    In fairness at the time I was frightened but still didnt think I was going to jail!
    Jobs OXO wrote: »
    What was it like being away from then internet for 3 years? Were there any lads inside for so long they never knew what the internet was?

Who said I didnt have a phone for most of it :)
    Thanks for all your honest replies - really interesting read.

You wrote briefly about mental health. Were prisoners with illnesses like schizophrenia housed in a seperate area or were you all mixed together? How were prescription meds organised? Did people conceal them from the nurse then sell them on?
    I saw this happen on 60 Days in and it was scary. I know that's an American jail etc but I wondered if it could happen here.

One more question- do you like watching prison films/ documentaries now or do you avoid them like the plague?

Good luck for the future.

Ah prescription meds were not really sold I dont think, quite strictly policed because they have to be taken in front of the medic.
    Some prisoners who go off the rails are sent to Dundrum! They generally come back after a while, excuse the pun but.....its mad!
    Some would be kept apart from general population.

Im intrigued by prison documentaries!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Great AMA by the way, thanks OP.

I think people are extremely misinformed (or ignorant) about drug use and demonising drug addicts (or alcoholics) because they can't control their compulsions only isolates them and makes it harder for them to come back into society.

I have visited the mountjoy training centre for support groups. Was there New Year's Eve once and nearly got locked in because we couldn't find a Gard to let us out!

One thing I learned from a hard looking and sounding prisoner is that some people are born into crime. He told me stories about how he was brought up to hate the police and it wasn't until this support group (where a police officer was trying to help him ) that he realised that police are people too...

I find it sad that people jump on the "lock em up " mantra without thinking if long term consequences or benefits of doing that. It's quite a religious stance "eye for an eye" whereas rehabilitation, re integration and support would possibly yield greater results for everybody.

Sorry, I digresss.... (I use that word when I want to sound intelligent)

My question is, what do you think about Portugal decriminalising personal drug use ?

I am not nor have ever been a drug addict!! But if you have seen The Wire it worked in Hamsterdam!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am not nor have ever been a drug addict!! But if you have seen The Wire it worked in Hamsterdam!

My apologies if you thought I was suggesting you were an addict, that was not my intention...

I suppose my question should of been did you encounter any people in prison who you felt didn't really have a chance because of the way society chooses to "rehabilitate" and treat them?

Drumpot wrote: »
    My apologies if you thought I was suggesting you were an addict, that was not my intention...

I suppose my question should of been did you encounter any people in prison who you felt didn't really have a chance because of the way society chooses to "rehabilitate" and treat them?

I met many people who I thought didnt have a chance, and many who have given up too! There are people who want to rehabilitated and some sont, the ones who want to be rehabilitated are halfway there to being rehabilitated already I think just because they want it!

Society does and always will look down at the rung below them, maybe if everyone just reached down to the man on the rung of the ladder below them, starting from the top down, we will all get ahead but it doesnt work like that!

Peoples views need to change, if we all just looked at someone and said how can i make that persons life better, even just a little bit wouldnt the world be a better place!

Not sure if thats answering your question but just thought Id voice that little nugget!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Il just answer all these ones at once! Im really delighted to get your feedback on the issue, its really an eye opener. It is something Ive struggled with. I normally take the tact off holding off for a few dates first but it can back fire so to speak, or they use another excuse but I always know the real reason.

As for the Wentworth Miller comment....Im probably slightly better looking :) but maybe you will never know or............

It's not an easy topic to discuss let's face it, but it's also a bit of a "shock" thing to hear in that I think the fairly normal reaction would be to be thrown a bit. But no one gets to a certain point/age in their life without some baggage or having had gone through some sh*t and at least it makes for more conversation if the person hangs around. If not, was it really a loss to begin with?
    When's the right time to bring up the topic? I don't envy you being in that position but it takes a certain amount of bravery (and maybe a few drinks) :P
    From a lady's point of view, I'd prefer to be told on date #1. Have you tried that?

It's not an easy topic to discuss let's face it, but it's also a bit of a "shock" thing to hear in that I think the fairly normal reaction would be to be thrown a bit. But no one gets to a certain point/age in their life without some baggage or having had gone through some sh*t and at least it makes for more conversation if the person hangs around. If not, was it really a loss to begin with?
    When's the right time to bring up the topic? I don't envy you being in that position but it takes a certain amount of bravery (and maybe a few drinks) :P
    From a lady's point of view, I'd prefer to be told on date #1. Have you tried that?
    I dont need to tell you now!! :)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

When it comes to having the conversation in future maybe you should show them this thread... I think any girl reading this can see that you are a decent chap that just fcuked up.

When it comes to having the conversation in future maybe you should show them this thread... I think any girl reading this can see that you are a decent chap that just fcuked up.

Thought about that when I was swiping right on Tinder earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

I would second that. You've come across really well in this. Good sense of humour.

Is it ok to ask how old are your kids?

I would second that. You've come across really well in this. Good sense of humour.

Is it ok to ask how old are your kids?

Ive two boys one early teens the other pre school!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

maybe if everyone just reached down to the man on the rung of the ladder below them, starting from the top down, we will all get ahead

This should be the slogan for the next trocaire campaign.

very good ama, cheers Gypsybyname.

It would seem to me that you went into prison a good guy who done some bad things and so rehabilitation was somewhat straight forward, whereas someone of lesser character may have come out just as bad as they went in. your ability to self reflect seems to have served you well.

My question is, were you presented with opportunities in prison to go down another a path and continue with crime, if so what form did they take? do you still rub shoulders with some of these people nowadays?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There are a lot of things that turn me off a fella- but I definitely wouldn't run a mile straight away if they mentioned prison (again, depending on the crime... and the man!)
    So long as he likes animals and Christmas, I can overlook what's happened in the past! Sure we all have one!

As for actually being caught I was lying on my bed naked watching telly when they burst in(true story)
    Please tell me you were allowed to get dressed before they carted you off!!
    2.15 School, workshops or recreation yard
    What's the recreation yard like? Is it just a concrete yard?
    Were there any 'outdoor' activities available, like gardening, or would that really just be an open prison thing? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just so the OP knows I would date somebody who was in prison and I would continue the friendship.(For your offence anyway) I am a fairly boring git when it comes to drugs and they wouldn't be for me but it wouldn't turn me off you as a friend/partner. The only thing that would bother me would be neighbors gossiping about did you hear what he did and look at him with him. They must be up to no good but these people would be gossiping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

Interesting read fair play!

Just so the OP knows I would date somebody who was in prison and I would continue the friendship.(For your offence anyway) I am a fairly boring git when it comes to drugs and they wouldn't be for me but it wouldn't turn me off you as a friend/partner. The only thing that would bother me would be neighbors gossiping about did you hear what he did and look at him with him. They must be up to no good but these people would be gossiping anyway.

The thing is, people will always find something to talk about, good, bad, or indifferent. Let them! You know the saying, "those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter". Fe** them!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The thing is, people will always find something to talk about, good, bad, or indifferent. Let them! You know the saying, "those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter". Fe** them!

I hope the OP knows I'd take no notice of them gossiping. That's what I meant when I said these people would be gossiping anyway.

I hope the OP knows I'd take no notice of them gossiping. That's what I meant when I said these people would be gossiping anyway.

Sorry freshpopcorn, I read that wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

Still finding this an amazing read and see so many things the same with my own time inside. Most realistic and honest discussion about prison in Ireland I ever seen.

I've had the same experience with dating too. Prison wouldn't be something I'd bring up straight away but like the OP I found it to be a dealbraker. i was getting pretty serious with one girl not so long ago and wanted to come clean but put it off but she found out before I got to tell her myself. I'd cover my tracks by saying I was in Australia for a while but that only got me so far. That really destroyed things for us and she said it was more about not being honest with her rather than prison but I don't think that was the case. She was a bit younger than me and was close to her family so I can't imagine they would have been thrilled to see their princess dating an ex prisoner even if she could get over it. And also I was in for a "violent" crime so that is different to the OP. There were others I dated who had a problem with it - maybe not directly break up over it but I knew it was an issue. There were a few though who seemed to find it exciting - maybe like dating a "bad boy" but nothing serious became of those.

OP did you move away from where you were living after getting out? I went back home after getting out but felt a bit paranoid that people who knew me were judging me - probably a bit paranoid but that was the way I felt. Partly because of that I decide to move to the country and also to go back to college, It was like trying to make a fresh start and getting away from things and people I wanted to avoid.

You seem to say that your son didn't know you were in prison - how did that work out? Because of things with my ex he knew and he came to visit me and that was so tough for me. he was young but as a Dad I felt like I had let him down big time and he found it hard to understand. We agreed that it was better ge didn't see me in there after a while. I know some other lads had different stories for their kids like having to go away or being in the Army but wondwe how you dealt with that?

Memories of the Christmas morning fry! I was in over 2 Chritmases - first one was hard and you are thinking so much about what you are missing at home (esp my son)and imagining people having a great time when you are stuck in a cell. I got TR for the second Christmas so got a few days at home and away from prison. It was great but so hard to go back when it was over. When you were out some weekends coming up to release did you find it hard going back or were you counting down to getting out and just went along with it?

It was good of the prison officer to post and what he said. I think people would be surprised that alot of prisoners "get on" with the officers and you can actually end up having a decent chat with them. I found that most were sound with you as long as you were sound with them as long as you weren't giving trouble. They do have a tough job I realise that and they don't want any more trouble either. It can be sort of like home for them too. Obviously you don't get too friendly but it's no harm having somebody to support you if you are looking for a job/move or to get something done.

When I was in Wheatfield I came across an officer who I had been in school with and lived in the same estate as kids. I hadn't seen him for a while but knew him straight away. It just goes to show that you never know how life is going to turn out and what happens because of the things we do. Never would have expected to meet him again in prison although he was an officer and I was a prisoner. Anything similar happen to you?

Anyway good luck with answering all the questions. It is a great read and I think for anybody reading this thread will have a different view of prisoners and prison and that is a good thing you are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement