Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an ex-prisoner

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

tomofson wrote: »
    Haha cool, was there any prisoners who where psychically dirty or didn't wash ect?

There were a few yes, whether they were like that outside i dont know but isnt the same out here that there are people who would be fairly lax regards personal hygiene.

gramar wrote: »
    Did you smuggle the phone in or buy it off someone inside? How much did it cost if so?

Eh......I didnt buy it.....I acquired it :)

Phones could fetch a grand for a nokia block depending on how available they were in the prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Is there such a thing as solitary confinement in the Irish prison system and if so do you know anyone who was in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

How are people with mental health difficulties treated? Is there a special wing in there for them? Do other prisoners avoid or bully them?

gramar wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as solitary confinement in the Irish prison system and if so do you know anyone who was in it?

There is solitary confinement yes, it called "the block", I do stand to be corrected on this, maybe Omackeral could jump in here. I know a few lads that went to the block but not sure how solitary it is there!
    tomofson wrote: »
    How are people with mental health difficulties treated? Is there a special wing in there for them? Do other prisoners avoid or bully them?

Again there would be some with mental issues that would be in general population, bullying generally does not go on in prison strangely enough! Not as much as one would think! If they are really struggling with mental issues they could possibly be sent to an institution or the medical wing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Fascinating thread, thank you so much OP.

Just some advice on the dating front from a more mature lady, I've dated many different men in my time and at least one who was in prison.

It would all depend on man's attitude tbh. I've met men who take no responsibility for their actions and just give you the sob story, "I was hard done by, I shouldn't have got caught, so and so stitched me up, blah, blah." Straight away I'm not interested, don't want to know.

Someone who on the other hand says "yeah, I did such a crime, I'm sorry I did it but I've done my time and that's the past" is a totally different matter.

Also if I'm honest if the crime was of a sexual nature then it's too much of a risk for me to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just a basic enough little phone, no internet or anything!

If you are going to the length of smuggling in a phone or acquiring it or whatever, why not make it a cheap smartphone with internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Fantastic thread. Well done, OP & continued success on the outside. Re your question about dating an ex-offender, I myself would certainly consider it, however, (and I'm finding it difficult to explain this to myself), if my daughter came home and told me her new bf had done time, I would be very uncomfortable. Go figure! But, as I say, you seem like a decent chap, and I wish you all the very best.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

If you are going to the length of smuggling in a phone or acquiring it or whatever, why not make it a cheap smartphone with internet?
    Size matters! For various reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Is there many foreign lads in prison? I wouldn't imagine racism would be much of a problem in Irish jails.

Going back to my earlier point, I'm assuming if a prisoner was particularly unhygienic the other prisoners would have no problem ordering him into the shower especially if he smelled really bad...

That question actually stemmed from a story my uncle told me of a prisoner back in the 80s who was refusing to wash and smelling up the landing. Apparently a few fellas literally dragged him into the shower one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm going to hazard a guess at this one....ever try stick an iPhone where the sun don't shine? Can imagine a smaller basic phone would be easier ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭popcornbowl

What were you allowed to bring in with you? Did you have a bag packed that you brought to court or how does it work?
    What do you do for clothes inside or is there a prison uniform in MJ?

What were you allowed to bring in with you? Did you have a bag packed that you brought to court or how does it work?
    What do you do for clothes inside or is there a prison uniform in MJ?

No, clothes are left in by family or friends, there is a set day for each landing to go to reception to retrieve things left in, its normally a straight swap as your only allowed 3 sets of clothes!!

There is a uniform for new prisoners, a red shirt and jeans. They were these until reception day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

frag420 wrote: »
    I'm going to hazard a guess at this one....ever try stick an iPhone where the sun don't shine? Can imagine a smaller basic phone would be easier ha ha

But to what end then? I doubt many phone calls were made, so was it just for texting? Playing snake? Taking pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

No, clothes are left in by family or friends, there is a set day for each landing to go to reception to retrieve things left in, its normally a straight swap as your only allowed 3 sets of clothes!!

There is a uniform for new prisoners, a red shirt and jeans. They were these until reception day.

If you got a nice new pair of runners would there be a chance someone would take them off you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

But to what end then? I doubt many phone calls were made, so was it just for texting? Playing snake? Taking pictures?

Running the Cartel obviously.

Idea stolen from Narco's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The rear end obviously 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hiya OP, fair play to you for turning it around. Not sure if you're still answering questions, but what is the funniest thing that you remember from prison, something that would still make you chuckle if you thought about it now?

On the relationship thing, having been to prison wouldn't be a no-go for me but as many have said it would depend on both the person and the crime. I'd be livid if you strung me along and didn't tell me though, while it may not be 1st date material it'd have to come up in 2nd or 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My mate (really) reckons if he was ever sent to prison, when he got to the canteen for the first time he'd stand on a table and announce to everyone that he'd "perform fellatio" on everyone. Even 2 at a time. His reasoning is that prisoners would never take him up on his offer because they only want it from prisoners that weren't "easy", like in the shawshank redemption.
    1. How bad of an idea is this?
    2. What would happen if he did this?
    3. Does my mate have "issues"?

Cienciano wrote: »
    My mate (really) reckons if he was ever sent to prison, when he got to the canteen for the first time he'd stand on a table and announce to everyone that he'd "perform fellatio" on everyone. Even 2 at a time. His reasoning is that prisoners would never take him up on his offer because they only want it from prisoners that weren't "easy", like in the shawshank redemption.

YES! He has serious issues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

All plans can backfire but this one could backfire spectacularly , I would stitch your mate up for something to see if its true !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There is solitary confinement yes, its called "the block", I do stand to be corrected on this, maybe Omackeral could jump in here. I know a few lads that went to the block but not sure how solitary it is there!

In Mountjoy they have the Controlled Behaviour Unit, or the CBU. This is for prisoners who have temporarily lost all privileges for violations of discipline or else they're there under the Governor's order indefinitly for good running of the jail.

It's basically 8 cells segregated from the rest of the prison. They are entitled to 1 hour of fresh air exercise and are fed directly at their door. No mixing with any other inmates is permitted. All their family visits are behind a glass wall,normal visits are not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What was the first day of your job like as it's hard enough being the new guy?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Are you actually serious?

Ok so this has been great and I have really enjoyed it. I think it has run its course now so its time to say goodbye. I have no problem with the odd PM if anyone wants to ask me anything. I hope you all have a better perspective of prison life and have some understanding that maybe not all prisoners are all bad people but some are good people who did bad things!

Again from the bottom of my heart I thank you all!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thanks GypsyByName, this has been a fantastic AMA

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Ok so this has been great and I have really enjoyed it. I think it has run its course now so its time to say goodbye. I have no problem with the odd PM if anyone wants to ask me anything. I hope you all have a better perspective of prison life and have some understanding that maybe not all prisoners are all bad people but some are good people who did bad things!

Again from the bottom of my heart I thank you all!

Thanks very much GypsyByName for a fascinating, honest, and insightful AMA. It's been a great read!

And thanks everyone for your questions too. Hope you all enjoyed.

I saw a request that the thread be kept open for discussion, but it's better to keep a discussion to its own thread and leave this thread focused on the Q&A.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement