Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an ex-prisoner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Im a handsome bugger so generally the females were fine with me :) but as a rule I dont think there was much of a difference in attitude. They are approached differently than male PO's though.
    Females were just as handy as the male!

Inappropriate relationships?? Its a bit like a school playground with rumours etc but I couldnt say for certain!

Had you seen Oz before going inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What does prison smell like? I'm guessing a cross between school, hospital, and a public toilet.

Is there like the equivalent of a HR department? Like, if you had an issue with someone bullying you, or a prison officer treating you unfairly, was there anyone you could go to? Or was that frowned upon as "grassing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

frag420 wrote: »
    Firstly OP, fair play to you!! I've a very good friend of mine who ended up in a very similar position to you, scarely similar so I could very well be talking to my mate here but I think you may have been in different places.

What it tells me is that good decent people can make mistakes and its how you deal with those mistakes that makes you and from what I have read so far you are a decent chap that made a mistake, learned from it and are making a go of things now and that is to be commended!! Myself and my other friends often said that going to jail was the best thing that happened to our friend as he came out a better person (no addictions, got an education etc)

Now its time for my question...from watching various tv shows and docs about prison, was there someone in the prison that would provide "comfort" for the other prisoners if you catch my drift? As in another prisoner that would provide a service to the other prisoners??

Did the prisoners make prison hooch? Was there much homemade alcohol in there?

Also I think someone asked before about the whole pick on the biggest guy on day one to show that you aint to be picked on, did you ever see that happen on someones first day and how did it end up?

Thanks again for your candor, very eye opening!!

Candor.... what a lovely word!!

Cant say I came across anyone that gave "comfort".
    Hooch...Rife!! Especially at christmas! Drank it on many on occasion!!

As for picking on the biggest guy....the biggest guy normally has more friends in there than you do so its not a wise move in my opinion!

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Had you seen Oz before going inside ?

Nope! Is it on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cant say I came across anyone that gave "comfort".

Sorry, cant but laugh at this bit,maybe he was no good at giving comfort?:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

How many times a day are the snooker balls counted?

Sorry, cant but laugh at this bit,maybe he was no good at giving comfort?:D:D:D

That was intended!! Been sitting here waiting for someone to bite!

John_D80 wrote: »
    How many times a day are the snooker balls counted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Nope! Is it on Netflix?

Don't think so. Thought it would have been infamous with inmates. Late 90s early 00s prison drama from the US

What does prison smell like? I'm guessing a cross between school, hospital, and a public toilet.

Is there like the equivalent of a HR department? Like, if you had an issue with someone bullying you, or a prison officer treating you unfairly, was there anyone you could go to? Or was that frowned upon as "grassing"?

HR as in a prisoner version? or are you the one in the office who asks to be moved because your colleague is eating egg and onion sandwiches :)

It smells like hospital a little bit I guess, often a smell of bleach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

HR as in a prisoner version? or are you the one in the office who asks to be moved because your colleague is eating egg and onion sandwiches :)

It smells like hospital a little bit I guess, often a smell of bleach!

No I mean is there a formal complaints process for things like that? Or do you just have to put up with it?

No I mean is there a formal complaints process for things like that? Or do you just have to put up with it?
    There is but Id guess there inbox is fairly empty!

You've got 15 minutes to make a shiv using only items in your cell. What would you use and how?

That was intended!! Been sitting here waiting for someone to bite!

From reading your replies I can see that a sense of humour is a big help in prison and well needed!! If you are ever in London, would love to buy you a pint and some chowder and hear more about your experience in there!!

You've got 15 minutes to make a shiv using only items in your cell. What would you use and how?

Lighter and toothbrush! Melt it and shape it! If theres bladed in your cell, let toothbrush solidify around the blade.

Easy! Never needed to do it tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

whats the longest prison sentance someone you know well in there has?.... how do they deal with the fact that they wont see the outside world for a long time?

From reading your replies I can see that a sense of humour is a big help in prison and well needed!! If you are ever in London, would love to buy you a pint and some chowder and hear more about your experience in there!!

I can send you my Iban and you can send me €7.80. Il be in Temple Bar tomorrow night!! :)

Just joking! I will be in London in the new year funnily enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Describe Christmas Day if you can? I imagine it must be a difficult time in prison if you celebrated it outside.

Any special treatment on your birthday from other prisoners or even officers?

jobless wrote: »
    whats the longest prison sentance someone you know well in there has?.... how do they deal with the fact that they wont see the outside world for a long time?
    I know plenty of "lifers" from my time in there! No choice but to accept it really, their day will come. Just tick them off one by one really!

Irish94 wrote: »
    Describe Christmas Day if you can? I imagine it must be a difficult time in prison if you celebrated it outside.

Any special treatment on your birthday from other prisoners or even officers?

Christmas Day is the same as every other day except you get a bit of a fry for breakfast instead of cereal and you get what looks like a Christmas dinner!

SSSHHHH most of us got baloobas on hooch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You may have answered this but have you felt/seen any impacts with respect to being barred from anything now that you've such a record.

Travel to US for example.

I can send you my Iban and you can send me €7.80. Il be in Temple Bar tomorrow night!! :)

Just joking! I will be in London in the new year funnily enough!

Pint is in the pot for you...just reach out!!

You may have answered this but have you felt/seen any impacts with respect to being barred from anything now that you've such a record.

Travel to US for example.

Ive not looked into it but I do know someone who was in prison for a similar offence and he was at McGregor-Mayeather! need to look him up!!

But if im barred, im barred. Just gotta accept that too I spose. I cant change anything. Try not to worry about things I have no control over now!

Can you tell us some of the most famous/infamous criminals that were on your landing/block?

Any high profile murderers like Joe O'Reilly or that Dwyer lad?

Can you tell us some of the most famous/infamous criminals that were on your landing/block?

Any high profile murderers like Joe O'Reilly or that Dwyer lad?

Afraid not!

Afraid not!

Perfectly understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭derdider

What was it like when you it first hit you that you would be going to prison for 6 years ? Whether that was when you were arrested or when the judge told you you would be going ?

What was the scariest part, first being arrested and realising the trouble you were in or walking into the prison for the first time ?

I can image for some people the whole thing would be terrifying and for others who may have been around plenty of prisoners on the outside or who may even know a few that they would meet inside it would be far less daunting

Are the gym bunnies allowed have protein/supplements?

And do they ever smuggle in steroids and hormones?

Some guys come out of prison in phenomonal shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Imagine that you were in a position where you thought you were going to end up homeless. Now that you have a prison conviction, would you consider engineering your incarceration as an alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

Great aul AMA!

I'd just like to ask what passes your mind when you see a Garda on the street or what do you think of members of An Garda Síochána in general? A lot of prisoners/ex-prisoners seem to justify there actions and blame the Guards for getting caught rather than themselves.

Hope your able to answer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement