Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an ex-prisoner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Did it take you long to adjust?
    Were you in the same cell all the time?
    What kind of stuff were visitors aloud to bring you?
    What did you miss most?
    What did you look forward to most when you were released?
    What was the biggest change with the outside world that you noticed?

Im still adjusting to a degree, i still have some traits like trying to suss people out etc.
    Just clothes and a radio or a playstation 2
    I miss the routine, camaraderie....theres a community in prison thats kind of something a bit special in a way. Like if say for instance a prisoner had a problem there would be prisoners who could help.
    Women!
    Didnt notice much of a change to be honest, I found traffic a bit daunting, stuff like crossing a road was a bit difficult as stupid as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

Are you treated differently if you are English or a different nationality? Is religion an issue inside? What about ginger?? :)

Are you treated differently if you are English or a different nationality? Is religion an issue inside? What about ginger?? :)

Non Nationals tend to stick together but arent treated any differently, religionn isnt an issue.

There is a special wing for Gingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Do you have much robbing between cells?
    Did anyone ever try rob your playstation?
    Presume if it happens you have to deal with it yourself, can't imagine anyone rats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I have heard that Travellers don't mix and hang out together according to clans. Any truth ?

• Advertisement

phily2002 wrote: »
    Do you have much robbing between cells?
    Did anyone ever try rob your playstation?
    Presume if it happens you have to deal with it yourself, can't imagine anyone rats?

It does happen but no one puts up with it! Landings are policed by the prisoners in that regard! Bullying is not tolerated in prison strangely enough. If someone robs from some one all it takes is some one to speak up and its usually dealt with by the prisoners. Sometimes it might magically appear back in your cell or someone else might just come and hand it to you after a gentle word from someone on the landing.

6541 wrote: »
    I have heard that Travellers don't mix and hang out together according to clans. Any truth ?

Maybe certain sects of travellers dont hang out together but most do!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How would you change the system that allows for a 6 year sentence but you only get to serve 39 months of that sentence, why don't judges just sentence you to 39 months, I don't buy into all this time off for good behaviour etc.

What's your opinion on that? ps tks for coming on here and being honest

Also, any idea on the general feeling about "chain gangs", would prisoners prefer to be out working hard than sitting around all day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 SpliffPolitics

Did you know anyone in there when you went in?

Also can anyone request go on the protection wing or do you need to have a valid reason for going there?

vicwatson wrote: »
    How would you change the system that allows for a 6 year sentence but you only get to serve 39 months of that sentence, why don't judges just sentence you to 39 months, I don't buy into all this time off for good behaviour etc.

What's your opinion on that? ps tks for coming on here and being honest

Also, any idea on the general feeling about "chain gangs", would prisoners prefer to be out working hard than sitting around all day?

Jaysus Vic, yer awful hard!

The way the system works is that a prison year is actually 9 months. 3 months of every year are granted as "remission".
    I did 39 months but I also had to do 9 months community service on my release! I was free in a sense but still not free. I had to do 3 full days community service. So really its impossible to try get a job. If you get a job then they can rearrange the terms of your community service but its not all as it seems. Prisoners need a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. If a prisoner gets sentenced to 6 years but knows if he keeps his head down there is a chance he could get out early! If there was no incentive for him to keep his/her head down then chances are they wont!

Chain gangs??? You mean being a slave?

Some prisoners do get out to work but only if they want to, they arent forced, and shouldnt be either.

• Advertisement

Did you know anyone in there when you went in?

Also can anyone request go on the protection wing or do you need to have a valid reason for going there?

I knew one or two yes!

Protection is available on request, its not nice on protection! If your on protection prisoners want to know why! you need a valid reason but sure you can make one of them up..who is there to argue!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think, broadly speaking, the prison system works?

i.e. The cost is justified, the prisoners are rehabilitated and motivated not to return and it is a suitable deterrent to committing crimes.

If not, what needs to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Did you always have a sense you would get caught one day?

Do you think, broadly speaking, the prison system works?

i.e. The cost is justified, the prisoners are rehabilitated and motivated not to return and it is a suitable deterrent to committing crimes.

If not, what needs to change?

It cost probably €150k to keep me. If they gave me €50k cash and told me to **** off to Oz and never came back id have saved the state €100k :)

This probably sounds wrong but maybe they need to choose who to invest in and who not to invest in!

What can be done differently? Its hard to say, im not a mastermind or genius, if i could change anything it would be to set up schemes with potential employers outside for prisoners on their release.
    There is a programme in place to incentivise companies who take people off the dole. Do the same with prisoners, I guarantee it would bring down the crime rate, save the state millions due to less re-offenders.

Sono wrote: »
    Did you always have a sense you would get caught one day?

No! Im wary of giving the full story but it wasnt a career for me! I always had a feeling Id get caught doing something mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you meet anyone who had served time in a prison abroad, how did they feel the Irish prison system compared?

Did you meet anyone who had served time in a prison abroad, how did they feel the Irish prison the Irish system compared?

I met a few lads who served time in the Uk, from what Im told its totally deifferent as prisoners are categorised over there so you work your way to priviliges etc! Sounds a better set up than here!
    One or two lads who were in Spain who said it was much worse but apparently got conjugal visits!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Did you play the PlayStation 2 much and are there any game titles that have prisoners getting very competitive against each other with?

Are bets placed or something similar? (people will bet on anything!)

..is there some grey bearded prisoner somewhere with a Rainman like knowledge of Final Fantasy tactics.. :D

Amalgam wrote: »
    Did you play the PlayStation 2 much and are there any game titles that have prisoners getting very competitive against each other with?

Are bets placed or something similar? (people will bet on anything!)

..is there some grey bearded prisoner somewhere with a Rainman like knowledge of Final Fantasy tactics.. :D

I mainly played Tiger Woods and Fifa! Few little punts alright! kept me in Amber Leaf many a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Would you consider giving talks to young people about your experience? Maybe help them not end up in prison like you did? I can only wish it's onwards and upwards for your life now. Best of luck with everything in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Whats the craic with yere ''wages''? Were ye actually given money or was it a chit/account system in the prison tuck shop?

What were the various ways a prisoner could earn money?

Could ye have money sent in from relatives and if so was there limits?

Are the items in prison tuck shop cheaper than in a normal shop?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Whats the craic with yere ''wages''? Were ye actually given money or was it a chit/account system in the prison tuck shop?

What were the various ways a prisoner could earn money?

Could ye have money sent in from relatives and if so was there limits?

Are the items in prison tuck shop cheaper than in a normal shop?

There was a few little odd jobs cleaners could do for tobacco etc, clean the gym etc little nixers!
    Money could be left into your prison account! no cash just figures in a book!

Toiletries were an absolute robbery!!

KKkitty wrote: »
    Would you consider giving talks to young people about your experience? Maybe help them not end up in prison like you did? I can only wish it's onwards and upwards for your life now. Best of luck with everything in the future.

Dont know if its my kinda thing to be giving talks and the likes!

Thanks for the wishes!

What are the top 3 items that would lead to a riot if they ran out of them in the tuck shop for a week?

What are the top 3 items that would lead to a riot if they ran out of them in the tuck shop for a week?

Tobacco or cigarettes, tea cakes and coffee. Doubt the last two would cause a riot though but they would be sorely missed!

Are there any female PO's in Male prisons?

Are there any female PO's in Male prisons?

There was a few, even a Lady Gaga lookalike! A nose so big, she could smoke in the shower!

There was a few, even a Lady Gaga lookalike! A nose so big, she could smoke in the shower!

Nothing at all wrong with Gaga!!

As a general rule did the female PO's tend to be easier or harder on ye? Or the same as their male colleagues?

If it kicked off in there, were they any use in subduing male prisoners?

Do you know of any ''inappropriate'' friendships between PO's and prisoners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Firstly OP, fair play to you!! I've a very good friend of mine who ended up in a very similar position to you, scarely similar so I could very well be talking to my mate here but I think you may have been in different places.

What it tells me is that good decent people can make mistakes and its how you deal with those mistakes that makes you and from what I have read so far you are a decent chap that made a mistake, learned from it and are making a go of things now and that is to be commended!! Myself and my other friends often said that going to jail was the best thing that happened to our friend as he came out a better person (no addictions, got an education etc)

Now its time for my question...from watching various tv shows and docs about prison, was there someone in the prison that would provide "comfort" for the other prisoners if you catch my drift? As in another prisoner that would provide a service to the other prisoners??

Did the prisoners make prison hooch? Was there much homemade alcohol in there?

Also I think someone asked before about the whole pick on the biggest guy on day one to show that you aint to be picked on, did you ever see that happen on someones first day and how did it end up?

Thanks again for your candor, very eye opening!!

• Advertisement

Nothing at all wrong with Gaga!!

As a general rule did the female PO's tend to be easier or harder on ye? Or the same as their male colleagues?

If it kicked off in there, were they any use in subduing male prisoners?

Do you know of any ''inappropriate'' friendships between PO's and prisoners?

Im a handsome bugger so generally the females were fine with me :) but as a rule I dont think there was much of a difference in attitude. They are approached differently than male PO's though.
    Females were just as handy as the male!

Inappropriate relationships?? Its a bit like a school playground with rumours etc but I couldnt say for certain!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement