Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an ex-prisoner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

how did you get caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has your experience put you off going to prison again our is it a bearable experience?

How did your family cope with you being in?

Did you get in trouble with the drug suppliers for losing their stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What did you get locked up for?

Do you feel serving half your sentence was justified?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    What's the grub like ? Would love to see a weekly menu? Any choice? Any hope of KFC?
    You are guaranteed fish on Fridays!! It wasnt actually that bad.
    Sunday was normally chicken wuth potatoes and carrotts.
    The other days were Sausages and mash, pasta bolognese, coddle, stew, gammon steak and potatoes with cabbage, curry both chicken and beef. im probably missing one or two dishes. It was done on a 30 day cycle if I remember correctly.
    Tea time was normally sausages and beans, burgers(we called them brake pads!), pies etc. oh **** me we got these gammon disc things that were more like pink frisbies!
    McCrack wrote: »
    Which prison were you in & did you get transferred?
    Served half my sentence in Mountjoy and the other half in Loughan House in Cavan
    McCrack wrote: »
    Did you get TR, did you do work/classes?
    I got released on a Community release scheme where I had to do community service for the remainder of my sentence (in my old secondary school!!)
    how did you get caught?
    Fairly convinced I was "grassed on". As for actually being caught I was lying on my bed naked watching telly when they burst in(true story)
    Has your experience put you off going to prison again our is it a bearable experience?
    It really depends on your mindset if I am totally honest, there are days when I actually miss the place! It was bearable to an extent. I dont want to go back though.
    How did your family cope with you being in?
    EHHHhhhmmm I dont know its hard to tell, I think my father was more concerned about what people would say rather than actually giving a **** about me If I was to be blunt, hurt my mother a bit though.
    Did you get in trouble with the drug suppliers for losing their stuff?
    Nope, they disappearred!

I don't have any questions for you but just would like to wish you all the best for the future.

We all make mistakes but it seems you've made the best of the situation doing the LC, business course etc and getting out early and of course settling back into life without crime. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Did you feel like your living conditions were below acceptable standards? Did you have to slop out or had functioning toilets.

What are you allowed in your cells for entertainment (if you like) during lockup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If you were to reform the prison system, what would you do?

Fair play for pursuing education further.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

Thanks for doing this - very intersting
    Here's a couple of questions off the top of my head...

After sentincing, did you have much time to "Get your affairs in order"?

How do you learn the ropes when first going to prison? Like, the schedules of when to eat, where to go for exercise, etc. Are you just thrown in and left to fend, or does someone tell you what to do?

How do prisoners shave? are they allocated a razor each? What else are they allocated when the start? Is there a prison barber?

Did you get a wage or allowance? What could you spend it on?

Whats the most horrible or violent thing you ever saw in there?

How do the guards deal/break up voilent incedents?

What are the prison guards like? Would you like the job?

How often to you get to contact family/friends? Whats visiting time like for prisoners & thier families? How are prisoner's familys treated?

How long in advance do you know when you are leaving?

How are you prepared for release?

Did yu make any firends in there? Is there anyone you'd like to meet on the outside?

What changes to the prison system based on your experiences would you make?

Thanks
    John

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How much bum buddy stuff goes in while lads are doing long stints?

What did you get locked up for?

Do you feel serving half your sentence was justified?

thanks
    Eh well look if I am totally honest which I will always try to be....I seen some prisoners and repeat offenders at that getting released early. I was never going to back to crime...I played the game in prison and never got involved in anything I shouldnt. I had a mobile phone but thats my own business, but I was never caught with it, in fact an officer gave me a heads up before a search once! :) I was well liked by officers and prisoners alike because I was my own man and didnt get involved in stuff or didnt rub anyone up the wrong way. I earned my early release.
    Augeo wrote: »
    I don't have any questions for you but just would like to wish you all the best for the future.

We all make mistakes but it seems you've made the best of the situation doing the LC, business course etc and getting out early and of course settling back into life without crime. Fair play.

Appreciate that mate! Still a cross I have to bear, i play a game sometimes whereby when i meet new people i will chat to them for a while before telling them I have been in prison just to see how their attitudes change towards me.
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Did you feel like your living conditions were below acceptable standards? Did you have to slop out or had functioning toilets.

At first I was on a wing where I had to share a cell and slop out 3 times per day, it was sick! try wiping yer arse with yesterdays newspaper, rolling it up in a plastic bag and launching it out your window!

What are you allowed in your cells for entertainment (if you like) during lockup?
    Musical instruments, a tv, playstation 2 with no internet function and a radio etc..books obviously.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If you were to reform the prison system, what would you do?

Fair play for pursuing education further.

Its really difficult to say because I think some prisoners wouldnt want it changed but there needs to be more courses and access to education. I think there should be an incentive for prisoners to get involved in education rather than it just being there if that makes sense.
    Larry Bee wrote: »

How do you learn the ropes when first going to prison? Like, the schedules of when to eat, where to go for exercise, etc. Are you just thrown in and left to fend, or does someone tell you what to do?

How do prisoners shave? are they allocated a razor each? What else are they allocated when the start? Is there a prison barber?

How often to you get to contact family/friends? Whats visiting time like for prisoners & thier families? How are prisoner's familys treated?

Did yu make any firends in there? Is there anyone you'd like to meet on the outside?

Thanks
    John

A couple of questions he says............Jaysus John!! Il need a coffee and a roll up before I tackle that list!

• Advertisement

How much bum buddy stuff goes in while lads are doing long stints?

Never heard of any. Genuinely! I do know someone who had a fist up their bum but it wasnt for sexual pleasure! it was to get something out that didnt belong to him, or maybe it did but the "fister" wanted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Do you have kids?
    If so, did they come visit you?
    What is your opinion on kids being brought in to prison to visit a parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What kind of supports is there when you are released? Do you have someone to help you adjust and get yourself sorted or are you left high and dry?

How are you adjusting to life on the outside?

Fair play for doing the AMA and getting your life back on track.

Do you have kids?
    If so, did they come visit you?
    What is your opinion on kids being brought in to prison to visit a parent?

I had no kids when I was in prison, its another tricky one, it all depends on the age of the child and the length of sentence I guess.

Funny Story..........Im on a visit with my mother....Another prisoner in his 50s beside me with his daughter and grandson..

Grandson: Granda I thought you said you were in the army
    Prisoner: I am son why ya ask?
    Grandson: Ah Granda, yer a spoofer! It says prison on the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

A couple of questions he says............Jaysus John!! Il need a coffee and a roll up before I tackle that list!

:D

eviltwin wrote: »
    What kind of supports is there when you are released? Do you have someone to help you adjust and get yourself sorted or are you left high and dry?

How are you adjusting to life on the outside?

Fair play for doing the AMA and getting your life back on track.

You are pretty much left high and dry, i had to spoof my way through life for the first while, was a single man being released....do you tell a girl straight away or do you lie at first??? Do you put it on a job application and hope the interviewer takes a chance on you? or do you take a chance and hope they dont find out? I tried all the scenarios and somehow managed to land on my feet after all. only through a good friend who maybe released I wasnt the lying scumbag thieving bastard I was pretending to be all along :)
    Larry Bee wrote: »

Straight to prison, no hanging about!

You follow everyone else, someone will always appraoch you to find out who you are etc, see if your a threat so to speak or if they can get anything from you. you learn as you go along.

You buy blades in the shop and they are kept in the office, if you want to shave you can get it from the officer on duty, bring back your old one to get a new one etc.
    Theres always a few lads on each landing that cut hair for tobacco!

Sweets and tobacco

Witnessed a fella getting cut from ear to ear, i could see his back teeth through his cheeks!

en masse!

Its a horrible job..there are scumbags in uniforms and gentlemen in uniforms as much as there are scum in tracksuits as well as gentlemen

Id a girl come visit me once...an officer said to her " your not gonna wait for him are ya?" that might give you an insight.

Visit is one 30 min visit per week but ususlly runs to 45 mins depending on the officers discretion or how busy it is.
    One phone call a day for 6 mins

I knew a few months in advance but not the actual date, they came to me on a wednesday and told me id be getting out on the monday!

I got a few weekends out before my eventual release. thats about your lot, no preparation really.

I met one or two people only one real friend id say, hes dead now.

Answered this above i think

Thanks
    John

You are pretty much left high and dry, i had to spoof my way through life for the first while, was a single man being released....do you tell a girl straight away or do you lie at first??? Do you put it on a job application and hope the interviewer takes a chance on you? or do you take a chance and hope they dont find out? I tried all the scenarios and somehow managed to land on my feet after all. only through a good friend who maybe released I wasnt the lying scumbag thieving bastard I was pretending to be all along :)

Sorry i made a dogs dinner of that....questions are in the quote :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How prevalent are drugs in the Irish prison system? How easy/hard are they to get? How many prisoners are heavy users in prison?

My prison knowledge is limited to US TV and movies and they show that a lot of corruption from the prison officers smuggling in contraband. Is there corruption among Irish Prison Guards? And how are the prison guards in general?

Again another US TV and movies influenced question, is there any prisoners still running their outside "business" from their cell?

Is there illegal market for contraband in the prison? If so, how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Have you read the prison officer AMA on this forum? Did it change your thoughts on officers or the running of a prison, or confirm any guesses you had?

I see you only registered this year so you may have missed it, it's one of the earliest ones if you're interested.

Hope everything is going well for you now!

• Advertisement

What are the most basic rules you had to learn when you got into prison to stay out of trouble with the other inmates?

I was watching an american reality show called "60 Days in" where regular people went into prison for 60 days undercover to see what it was like. One rule was you could never call somebody a bitch or mention the word bitch in front of somebody or you would have to fight them on the spot. American prison I know, but it was the first rule the "prisoners" were taught in their training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Hazys wrote: »
    How prevalent are drugs in the Irish prison system? How easy/hard are they to get? How many prisoners are heavy users in prison?

My prison knowledge is limited to US TV and movies and they show that a lot of corruption from the prison officers smuggling in contraband. Is there corruption among Irish Prison Guards? And how are the prison guards in general?

Ehmm Im not too sure about the prison officers being corrupt but the law of averages says there has to be, its not a highly paid paid job in fairness and in every profession Im sure there are a few who flirt with the law. There have been a few prosecuted hasnt there?
    Again another US TV and movies influenced question, is there any prisoners still running their outside "business" from their cell?

Is there illegal market for contraband in the prison? If so, how does it work?

There is definitely business run from inside the prison, drugs fetch much bigger money inside than they do on the street so its fairly lucrative!
    A nokia block phone would fetch anywhere from €500-€1000 believe it or not!
    Conchir wrote: »
    Have you read the prison officer AMA on this forum? Did it change your thoughts on officers or the running of a prison, or confirm any guesses you had?

I see you only registered this year so you may have missed it, it's one of the earliest ones if you're interested.

Hope everything is going well for you now!

I have read it and im fairly sure I know exactly who it is too. My opinion on officers will never change! there are good and bad in every walk of life. Some are very bitter but some are great. It depends on how long they are in the job I find. The fresh ones were grand, the older ones grand but the ones who were there a middling length of time were generally the worst!
    What are the most basic rules you had to learn when you got into prison to stay out of trouble with the other inmates?

I was watching an american reality show called "60 Days in" where regular people went into prison for 60 days undercover to see what it was like. One rule was you could never call somebody a bitch or mention the word bitch in front of somebody or you would have to fight them on the spot. American prison I know, but it was the first rule the "prisoners" were taught in their training.

I watched that too! Dont call heroin addicts junkies! other than that, dont involve yourself yourself in stuff you dont need to. It really is another world in there, much like outside it has the same principles.

....... wrote: »

Definitely! The weak and vulnerable can be preyed upon. Most likely it was a threat that carried no weight!

....... wrote: »
    Your tax paid for my Open University course :)
    Medical is free but dental is not, its just extractions I think and only in emergencies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey GypsyByName!

Very interesting AMA, thanks for your answers.

Ahm wondering about mental health in prison. Is there councilling? Or is it up to the individual? While you mentioned the options to pursue education etc, there is a lot of locking up time for people to be left with their thoughts. And the awful violence you mentioned above - even reading it gave me a jolt!

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Hey GypsyByName!

Very interesting AMA, thanks for your answers.

Ahm wondering about mental health in prison. Is there councilling? Or is it up to the individual? While you mentioned the options to pursue education etc, there is a lot of locking up time for people to be left with their thoughts. And the awful violence you mentioned above - even reading it gave me a jolt!

Mental health is a huge problem in prisons, I suffered with it too for years before during and after, so it didnt begin in prison but it certainly didnt help. I think there is some form of counselling but really really hard to get access to, it would have to be from a doctors referral. its a big hullabaloo to get anything like that.
    I sought it when I came out, along with help for a gambling addiction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Hows it going GypsyByName

Fair play on getting your life back together, must of been hard so hats off to that.

If you could give any advice on a young lad heading into prision what would you say?

What's your plan for the future?

Is there a head prisioner guy in the section you were in where lads had to get permission to start dealing etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement