Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's daily terror attack location is Belgium.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another attack soon

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Today's daily terror attack location is Belgium
    Wikipedia lists 158 terrorist incidents for August 1-25, slightly more than 6 a day. You might put on your glasses to see what is happening in the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_August_2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Another day, another attack on western society by the religion of peace.

I see the resident AH Islamic apologist hasn't yet began their defense of all things Islam, which is surprising.

Can't be long though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭FraR

The attacker was a Somalian refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bobbyss wrote: »
    If same happened in Ireland, what would unarmed Garda do?

Dunno but I can imagine some peoole will run onto AH to gloat.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nobody would gloat about a terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

FraR wrote: »

Great way to thank the country that takes him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nobody would gloat about a terrorist attack.

No. Never.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

FraR wrote: »

Excuse me, mentally ill Somalian refugee who massive wacist, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Or maybe just you know to discuss it, as it's you know a discussion site :rolleyes:

I tell you what when/if it happens we'll ignore it just so you are happy. Now repeat after me, fluffy white clouds, fluffy white clouds......

• Advertisement

scooby77 wrote: »
    So after reading various (reputable eg bbc) reports of Belgium attack the gist is:
    A guy with a KNIFE ran at ARMED SOLDIERS shout Allah Akbar
    Should I even bother with knife to a gunfight...
    Month python couldn't make it up.

Hardly qualifies for Virgins etc?

It is getting back to one per day in Europe averages.

It's about a quarter or a third of what it was in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Some people sure do love hysteria. Even 5 years ago this wouldn't have even made the news outside of the local media in Brussels.

Must be awful needlessly living your life in fear while most people just go about their daily business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Merkel did most certainly not do the right thing. Europe will be a much darker place because of her actions in the future. As a parent of two girls her policies have me worried about their future.

Why? Are you thinking of converting?
    MysticMonk wrote: »
    People like you are part of the problem.

I thought Islam was the problem.
    bobbyss wrote: »
    If same happened in Ireland, what would unarmed Garda do?

Call the armed Gardaí.
    BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Or maybe just you know to discuss it, as it's you know a discussion site :rolleyes:

I tell you what when/if it happens we'll ignore it just so you are happy. Now repeat after me, fluffy white clouds, fluffy white clouds......

So discuss it. What's your solution to the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Indeed but presumably you're including Northern Ireland in those figures.

Terrorist attacks have risen significantly in Europe in recent years. I just had a quick look through Wikipedia at terrorist attacks since 2014, here are the figures (and it includes perpertrators who were killed as well)

2014 5 killed - notable attack Museum in Brussels
    2015 199 killed - notable attacks Charlie Hebdo, Tunisia Beach attack (not Europe, but vast majority of victims were British or Irish), Bataclan and general attack on Paris.
    2016 213 killed - Ataturk airport, Brussels airport, Nice attack, Berlin Christmas market
    2017 132 killed - Istanbul nightclub, St Petersburg underground, Manchester arena, Barcelona.

Before 2014 what was the last major terrorist attack in Europe? 7/7?

The obvious factor is the Arab Spring which has led to all kinds of instability and that has spread into Europe. I think with the inevitable defeat of ISIS in Iraq and Syria we will see an initial spike in attacks in Europe (maybe happening at the minute) and then eventually they will filter out over time as ISIS becomes a distant memory. Maybe that's wishful thinking but it will become much harder for the, to coordinate and inspire.

Libya is a concern though and that seems the next big problem after Syria.

bilston wrote: »
    Indeed but presumably you're including Northern Ireland in those figures.

Terrorist attacks have risen significantly in Europe in recent years. I just had a quick look through Wikipedia at terrorist attacks since 2014, here are the figures (and it includes perpertrators who were killed as well)

2014 5 killed - notable attack Museum in Brussels
    2015 199 killed - notable attacks Charlie Hebdo, Tunisia Beach attack (not Europe, but vast majority of victims were British or Irish), Bataclan and general attack on Paris.
    2016 213 killed - Ataturk airport, Brussels airport, Nice attack, Berlin Christmas market
    2017 132 killed - Istanbul nightclub, St Petersburg underground, Manchester arena, Barcelona.

Before 2014 what was the last major terrorist attack in Europe? 7/7?

The obvious factor is the Arab Spring which has led to all kinds of instability and that has spread into Europe. I think with the inevitable defeat of ISIS in Iraq and Syria we will see an initial spike in attacks in Europe (maybe happening at the minute) and then eventually they will filter out over time as ISIS becomes a distant memory. Maybe that's wishful thinking but it will become much harder for the, to coordinate and inspire.

Libya is a concern though and that seems the next big problem after Syria.

In 2015 Europol reported that 50% of all European terrorism was committed in Northern Ireland.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/half-of-all-eu-terror-attacks-in-northern-ireland-europol-report-1-7027215

Mortars, letter bombs, shootings are rampant in NI already. Why wouldn't it be included in figures on terrorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I supposed we've progressed in finding a solution to the Islam Problem when the contrarians have moved from blaming ourselves for the attacks to "you know what? it's not too bad".

We're getting there lads. Just need a few more hundred dead.

I supposed we've progressed in finding a solution to the Islam Problem when the contrarians have moved from blaming ourselves for the attacks to "you know what? it's not too bad".

We're getting there lads. Just need a few more hundred dead.

Don't worry, you'll have something close to that amount dying in car crashes today in Europe alone. You can update the thread then later tonight with the hysteria and solutions to the mass production of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Don't worry, you'll have something close to that amount dying in car crashes today in Europe alone. You can update the thread then later tonight with the hysteria and solutions to the mass production of cars.

You know what theh did in Ireland to reduce road deaths? They jacked up insurance prices for young people to get them off the road. Maybe we should follow suit and have a Muslim tax. Great idea mate.

You know what theh did in Ireland to reduce road deaths? They jacked up insurance prices for young people to get them off the road. Maybe we should follow suit and have a Muslim tax. Great idea mate.

Surely it would be a Terrorist Tax? Could get everyone in Northern Ireland to pay it too. Sure they are all terrorists up there. Every single one. Close that border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Just for balance, I wonder how many innocent Muslims were killed by western democratic supported terrorists over the last few years?

• Advertisement

How would you go about identifying who is Muslim?
    Surely it would be a Terrorist Tax? Could get everyone in Northern Ireland to pay it too. Sure they are all terrorists up there. Every single one. Close that border.

Build a wall!
    RustyNut wrote: »
    Just for balance, I wonder how many innocent Muslims were killed by western democratic supported terrorists over the last few years?

Shhh. You'll upset the narrative.

As long as the terrorists are as dumb as those others, then I'm sure we'll be fine.

"I'll just walk with a knife outside one of the possibly most heavily guarded places in London, if not the entire UK".

8 people dead in a crash on the M1 in the UK this morning. Everyone needs to cover themselves in cotton wool and stay in doors until these murderous vehicles are banned from Europe. Send them back to where they were built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The tabloid newspapers have asked them to stop this, as Gary in Graphics dept is tired of updating the map and said he is running out of space.

e-uu.jpg

Can we have a map of the Middle East with all the attacks by westerners on it?

Be an interesting comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Zebra3 wrote: »

How about a middle eastern map with all the attacks on middle eastern countries by other middle eastern countries

How about a map of middle eastern countries who gladly take western money and weapons to attack other middle eastern countries,
    That would be interesting

How about a map of what the Middle East would look like if they didn't have oil! (hint, Central west Africa)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Oh it's the car crash comparison again. Only second to the peanut allergy comparison in the 'what's the dumbest way to play down terrorism' competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

How about a map of what the Middle East would look like if they didn't have oil! (hint, Central west Africa)
    West Africa has oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

wakka12 wrote: »
    Police officers attacked outside buckingham palace this evening, minor injuries. Attacker arrested. Further info needed but almost certainly terror related given the location, the chosen victims and the number of recent attacks across europe in the last week

At least he was a green terrorist as he was driving a Prius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

8 people dead in a crash on the M1 in the UK this morning. Everyone needs to cover themselves in cotton wool and stay in doors until these murderous vehicles are banned from Europe. Send them back to where they were built.
    Do cars hate us for not being Muslim? No
    Do they want to destroy our way of life? No
    Do they want use to live in submission? No

Have car manufacturers made great strides in terms of car safety? Yes
    Are there car manufacturers who are setting dates from which their cars won't be involved in a collision that leads to a fatality? Yes

Your comparison is a bunch of whataboutery, deflection driven nonsense.
    Zebra3 wrote: »

Care to list off a few attacks by westerners in the Middle east?

Advertisement