Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

Because the very idea is absurd.

How so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

mikeorange wrote: »
    How so?

There's nothing in the vaccine that would enhance the mutation rate of the virus. The vaccine is designed to manipulate the human immune system.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

To certain groups

Kids?

To all groups if the health service collapses as a result .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

To certain groups

Kids?

It's more deadly than flu, transmits faster and it has threatened to overwhelm national health services around the world.

There's nothing in the vaccine that would enhance the mutation rate of the virus. The vaccine is designed to manipulate the human immune system.

No offence man, but like me, you don't have a clue what you are talking about and not qualified in anyway to answer questions about the immune system

What are your medical qualifications by the way?

Bloody nobel prize winners think the vaccines could be causing selective pressure on the virus to mutate through mass vaccinations and you disregard it as impossible. Madness

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    To all groups if the health service collapses as a result .

It's like a flu to kids, health service collapsing is besides the point

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No offence man, but like me, you don't have a clue what you are talking about and not qualified in anyway to answer questions about the immune system

Bloody nobel prize winners think the vaccines could be causing selective pressure on the virus to mutate through mass vaccinations and you disregard it as impossible. Madness

I presume you can provide a link to those nobel scientists saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

To certain groups

Kids?

In a post above, you claimed to be a nurse in a nursing home.

But you don't think Covid is a greater risk than the flu.

This doesn't compute. One of these two sentences is a lie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes, I do. I've been in research for a long time now. You asked me questions and I answered them so now you're getting snippy because I'm rejecting your anti-vaxxer nonsense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I presume you can provide a link to those nobel scientists saying that?

Can't link

Nobel Prize Winner French Virologist Professor Luc Montagnier talks about it and a few others who are cast as crackpots now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes, I do. I've been in research for a long time now. You asked me questions and I answered them so now you're getting snippy because I'm rejecting your anti-vaxxer nonsense.

It's not my nonsense, it's nobel prize winning virologist that you rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can't link

Nobel Prize Winner French Virologist Professor Luc Montagnier talks about it and a few others who are cast as crackpots now :rolleyes:

ah right, I thought it was somebody serious who said it.

It is your nonsense. Just saying that someone who won a nobel prize agrees with it means nothing whatsoever.

I've published multiple papers on T cell biology so, yes, I do know what I'm on about. By all means, post some data. Otherwise, I'm going to dismiss this as the latest installment in this series of anti-vaxx scutter.

H. H. Asquith

It's like a flu to kids, health service collapsing is besides the point
    Health service collapsing is precisely the point!

You are looking at a scenario where accident victims who could be saved with surgery not being able to have the surgery because there are no intensive care beds, equipment or staff available to treat them post op Likewise, heart attacks and strokes. Your kid is sick with meningitis? Well, too bad if their condition deteriorates and they require ventillation. If only they'd only caught the COVID.....Other services having to be cancelled because almost every available bed would be occupied by a COVID patient, staff getting ill and not enough of them to provide even basic treatment and care.... The knock on effect to wider society would be felt very quickly

Can't link

Ah Luc Montagnier. To repost this:

https://science.thewire.in/the-scien...pseudoscience/
    The Indian study Montagnier referred to had been authored by a team from IIT Delhi, among others. They had uploaded their manuscript to the bioRxiv preprint repository only to quickly take it down after commentators pointed out numerous errors in their analysis.

An article published more recently in the journal Nature Medicine analysing the new virus’s genome concluded thus: “Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus.”

What Montagnier called the “elements” of HIV were short cis-acting elements that scientists had discovered in the genome of coronaviruses in 2005. They are required for genome replication and are shared by many coronaviruses. So if what Montagnier said is true, the whole family of coronaviruses – which originated over 10,000 years ago – would have to be lab-made, and this is obviously nonsensical.

Many experts have already pointed out this obvious flaw in Montagnier’s argument. As Étienne Simon-Lorière, a professor at the Institut Pasteur in Paris, said, “If we take a word from a book and it looks like another word, can we say that one has copied from the other? This is absurd!”

It is surprising to have a scientist of Montagnier’s stature utter such questionable statements – although Montagnier himself is a controversial figure. Among other causes, he has supported anti-vaxxers, homeopathy and a silly claim that DNA emits “electromagnetic waves”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

GT89 wrote: »
    Clearly a good thing until they start saying a second dose isn't good enough you need a third and so on and the covid vaccine becomes annual.

I don't understand how people make up silly arguments like this based on zero evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

A quick search of that particulars Scientist's wikipedia shows that he has been controversial for some time.

Just one example

Although fellow Nobel prize winners – who view homeopathy as quackery – were left openly shaking their heads, Montagnier's comments were rapidly embraced by homeopaths eager for greater credibility. Cristal Sumner, of the British Homeopathic Association, said Montagnier's work gave homeopathy 'a true scientific ethos'."[29]

Health service collapsing is precisely the point!

You are looking at a scenario where accident victims who could be saved with surgery not being able to have the surgery because there are no intensive care beds, equipment or staff available to treat them post op Likewise, heart attacks and strokes. Your kid is sick with meningitis? Well, too bad if their condition deteriorates and they require ventillation. If only they'd only caught the COVID.....Other services having to be cancelled because almost every available bed would be occupied by a COVID patient, staff getting ill and not enough of them to provide even basic treatment and care.... The knock on effect to wider society would be felt very quickly

Your talking about triage now

In your scenario they'd toss you out of the intensive care bed and give it to the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Luc was wrong as were lots of experts , India took no action and they are f**ked

In your scenario they'd toss you out of the intensive care bed and give it to the kid.

Seasonal flu hasn't threatened that scenario, the Covid pandemic has

• Advertisement

No, I'm not talking about triage. And no, they would not turf someone off a ventilator and give it to someone else.

It is your nonsense. Just saying that someone who won a nobel prize agrees with it means nothing whatsoever.

I've published multiple papers on T cell biology so, yes, I do know what I'm on about. By all means, post some data. Otherwise, I'm going to dismiss this as the latest installment in this series of anti-vaxx scutter.

How could you possibly know it can only mutate in the bodies of non vaccinated people and can't mutate in the bodies of vaccinated people?

Didn't we get mutations because of using monoclonal antibody treatment?

Do you not believe in selective pressure that causes a virus to evolve?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776039

No, I'm not talking about triage. And no, they would not turf someone off a ventilator and give it to someone else.

Of course they would and rightly so

How could you possibly know it can only mutate in the bodies of non vaccinated people and can't mutate in the bodies of vaccinated people?

Didn't we get mutations because of using monoclonal antibody treatment?

Do you not believe in selective pressure that causes a virus to evolve?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776039

I thought you couldn't post links?

You're going to have to provide evidence there, chief. The virus mutates because of the poor fidelity of RNA replicaton not whatever anti-vaxxer tosh your peddling.

Did you read the JAMA link or is this yet another dump?

H. H. Asquith

Luc was wrong as were lots of experts , India took no action and they are f**ked

They were all wrong, our local hero Luke O'Neill told us all to wash our hands for months on end when the thing was airbourne and said Boris had made up the UK variant and not to fear, Fauci is back and forth constantly, another wrong expert

They were all wrong, our local hero Luke O'Neill told us all to wash our hands for months on end when the thing was airbourne and said Boris had made up the UK variant and not to fear, Fauci is back and forth constantly, another wrong expert

Ah. The old "both sides" line. There's being wrong because of insufficient data and being wrong because you believe in monumentally stupid nonsense like homeopathy.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Selective pressure and the rate of mutation are two different things, what one might do is cause a variant to become more prevalent, but it does not increase the rate of mutation, it also does not put selective pressure for a worse or better variant. Also the increasing evidence that most of the vaccines are effective in regards most of the variants so far would seem to allay that fear for the moment. In fact, effective vaccines should in theory lower mutation rates in regards most viral transmissions, although if vaccination rates are not high enough, we run the risk of selective strains coming to the fore which are a bit more resilient.

As an internet forum though, I have found plenty of people with no qualifications that they admit too, to be just as knowledgeable as those with PhDs in the area but since we are in a pissing contest.

Qualified Biochemist, 15 years industry experience in genetics, 2 masters and currently working on two virus related projects, one specifically related to Covid 19. Not published as much as ancapailldorcha though

CramCycle wrote: »
    ualified Biochemist, 15 years industry experience in genetics, 2 masters and currently working on two virus related projects, one specifically related to Covid 19. Not published as much as ancapailldorcha though

You're well ahead of me. I've only the few recent papers.

H. H. Asquith

Of course they would and rightly so

That's not how it works. Withdrawing treatment that you have already commenced, based on clinical assesment that the treatment is potentially life saving and currently working on the basis that someone else needs it now is unethical and criminal

• Advertisement

Ah. The old "both sides" line. There's being wrong because of insufficient data and being wrong because you believe in monumentally stupid nonsense like homeopathy.

There's being wrong and there's lieing.

Do you really believe Fauci, O'Niell etc didn't know it was airbourne till last summer and washing your hands was useful?

Your an intelligent guy, when did you realise it was airbourne and hung around the air like passive smoke?

Jan/Feb 2020?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement