Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

Big Gerry wrote: »
    No idea I'm not "anti vax" per say and I have no involvement with either of those two individuals.

I Just don't understand how people can think vaccines carry no risk and we should believe without question whatever Doctors or the HSE tell us as if their infallible.

Its like during the boom if you questioned mainstream economists you were seen as some sort of crank.

Really the image you posted last night came directly from gems Twitter, and as for Barrett etc people can view your post history and decide.

Also plenty of people on here actually do research on topics like this and don't just rely on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

kylith wrote: »
    Nobody thinks that vaccines have no risks.

We recognise that the minuscule risk posed by vaccines is worth it compared to the much, much larger risk posed by vaccine preventable illnesses.

So why do the drug companies enjoy immunity for damages that may be inflicted on those that react against their products??. Ill tell you why , there is no such thing as vaccine damage in THIS country .

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

mountai wrote: »
    So why do the drug companies enjoy immunity for damages that may be inflicted on those that react against their products??. Ill tell you why , there is no such thing as vaccine damage in THIS country .

Because no one gives them millions when they prevent a disease.... If there was no immunity they would be out of s job fairly quickly, if one person dies from an adverse reaction while the product saves 100 lives from a preventable disease they have done their job perfectly. Some anti-vax nutter should not be allowed sue especially considering how many expensive safety related hoops those companies had to get through to even get the product on sale in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

guyfo wrote: »
    Because no one gives them millions when they prevent a disease.... If there was no immunity they would be out of s job fairly quickly, if one person dies from an adverse reaction while the product saves 100 lives from a preventable disease they have done their job perfectly. Some anti-vax nutter should not be allowed sue especially considering how many expensive safety related hoops those companies had to get through to even get the product on sale in the first place.

The only thing wrong with this post is the number used "100 lives from a preventable disease", the number of lives saved by most vaccines is measured is thousands, 100s of thousands, millions or in the case of Smallpox perhaps billions.
    The side effects of most "might possibly" be an unproven couple of dozen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

paul71 wrote: »
    The only thing wrong with this post is the number used "100 lives from a preventable disease", the number of lives saved by most vaccines is measured is thousands, 100s of thousands, millions or in the case of Smallpox perhaps billions.
    The side effects of most "might possibly" be an unproven couple of dozen.
    Puts on anti-vaxxer hat: so what you're saying is that Edward Jenner is actually responsible for dozens of people dying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Puts on anti-vaxxer hat: so what you're saying is that Edward Jenner is actually responsible for dozens of people dying?

The Smallpox vaccine is a live vaccine based on the Vaccinia (Cowpox) virus. Poxviruses are incredibly large and complex but contain some proteins which are highly conserved between species hence Vaccinia serving as a suitable candidate to protect against Variola (Smallpox).

However, the vaccine was based on a live virus and therefore could on rare occasions cause severe side effects including death and viral encephalitis.

I wouldn't say Jenner was responsible or anything so daft but the story of how Smallpox was eradicated is well worth familiarising yourself with.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Yeah, I remember learning about it in secondary school history. It was such a positive discovery.

The Smallpox vaccine is a live vaccine based on the Vaccinia (Cowpox) virus. Poxviruses are incredibly large and complex but contain some proteins which are highly conserved between species hence Vaccinia serving as a suitable candidate to protect against Variola (Smallpox).

However, the vaccine was based on a live virus and therefore could on rare occasions cause severe side effects including death and viral encephalitis.

I wouldn't say Jenner was responsible or anything so daft but the story of how Smallpox was eradicated is well worth familiarising yourself with.

Story of Smallpox is the single greatest achievement in human history. It outwieghs everything else we have done, including the wheel, agriculture, fire, electricity, computers, space travel.
    I think the last poster was being delibrately ironic and exposing the antivax for what it is by comparing a dozen to the 100s of millions saved. Jenner (and the Turkish physicians who preceded him) have liberated humanity.

paul71 wrote: »
    I think the last poster was being delibrately ironic and exposing the antivax for what it is by comparing a dozen to the 100s of millions saved. Jenner (and the Turkish physicians who preceded him) have liberated humanity.

Apologiess - I was (unsuccesfully :() attempting to highlight the utter stupidity of the anti-vaccine brigade's arguments

Apologiess - I was (unsuccesfully :() attempting to highlight the utter stupidity of the anti-vaccine brigade's arguments

I did get that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But what about those 12 people, they had a right to risk dying of Smallpox like everyone else

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mea culpa. I posted quickly without reading properly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Feel better,i have not resorted to insults i think in reality my knowledge is too much for the regular subjugated human,i'm a free man with a free mind take care off yourself man don't forget to bring your son to have his anti puberty meds if he decides hes a girl.

Firstly, just WOW!! If that is what you consider an insult, I would question these experiences and open mind thinking. Your other point doesn't even warrant a reply regarding the bible.

You are more than condescending, telling about your open mind and as you say above claiming others here are subjugated.

That quoted point above was a tad random. I don't have kids, but did you not read my point where I used meditation, exercise etc. and not meds to get through the issues. I do believe there are cases for meds too and bother methods can work together.

Also, If my kids (if I do ever am fortunate to have them) end up being transgender, I would hope that they would like to think they could be open with me. I am not saying kids don't hide stuff, of course they do, but would hope they know they could trust me. Only time will tell I guess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like an 'anti-vax mom' went to one of those anti-vax misinformation sites because her kid had the flu, had had a seizure, doc prescribed Tamiflu. Didn't fill the prescription, it being nasty evil medicine and all that, got advice from the group - peppermint oil, tea, etc..

Followed the advice. Kid died.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-anti-vaxxers-pushed-mom-not-give-her-son-tamiflu-n1131936

FWIW, personal experience with Tamiflu is that it's really a wonder drug, as long as you begin the brief treatment early on.

But, hey, why not ask FB anti-vax groups for general medical advice. Such experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seems like an 'anti-vax mom' went to one of those anti-vax misinformation sites because her kid had the flu, had had a seizure, doc prescribed Tamiflu. Didn't fill the prescription, it being nasty evil medicine and all that, got advice from the group - peppermint oil, tea, etc..

Followed the advice. Kid died.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-anti-vaxxers-pushed-mom-not-give-her-son-tamiflu-n1131936

FWIW, personal experience with Tamiflu is that it's really a wonder drug, as long as you begin the brief treatment early on.

But, hey, why not ask FB anti-vax groups for general medical advice. Such experts.
    IMO, the anti-vaxxers in that group are culpable in the death of that child.

Yes, the parents deserve the lion's share of the blame, but the advice from that group for a child that had already had febrile seizures was criminal. The parents had obviously fallen hard down the anti-vaxx rabbit hole, and their poor child paid the price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

kylith wrote: »
    IMO, the anti-vaxxers in that group are culpable in the death of that child.

Yes, the parents deserve the lion's share of the blame, but the advice from that group for a child that had already had febrile seizures was criminal. The parents had obviously fallen hard down the anti-vaxx rabbit hole, and their poor child paid the price for it.

I completely agree that the advice the people on the group have should all be in court for the death of the child and the parents. I have zero sympathy for parents that put their child in harms way due to their idiotic views on Vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I'm just in awe of this nut.

He's running as a Donegal TD, the Dail would be an amazing, magical place with him & the Healy-Raes in it. It would be like Game of TD's. He also believes Dev was a spy for Britain for his whole 90 year life (or how ever long it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Seen this and made me think of this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Seen this and made me think of this thread :D

So measles is beating unvaccinated kid and essential oils is going to put a stop to it?

• Advertisement

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    So measles is beating unvaccinated kid and essential oils is going to put a stop to it?

Look at the face on "essential oils" again

Edit:I am pro vax

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Look at the face on "essential oils" again

Edit:I am pro vax

I know you are. So am I. Just pointing out that it could be used by either side!

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    I know you are. So am I. Just pointing out that it could be used by either side!

Let them try :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

These Anti-Vaxers seem to not know history. When the Europeans went to North and South America, they brought diseases we natives didn't have. Now I know back then no vaccines were available as there is now.But for some people to go back to that ignorance is just baffling to me.Being self entitled will never justify putting other people at risk,IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

These Anti-Vaxers seem to not know history. When the Europeans went to North and South America, they brought diseases we natives didn't have. Now I know back then no vaccines were available as there is now.But for some people to go back to that ignorance is just baffling to me.Being self entitled will never justify putting other people at risk,IMO.
    They've decided to igonore all common sense we've learned over the last couple of hundred years.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,350 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm just in awe of this nut.

He's running as a Donegal TD, the Dail would be an amazing, magical place with him & the Healy-Raes in it. It would be like Game of TD's. He also believes Dev was a spy for Britain for his whole 90 year life (or how ever long it was).

Video doesn't work, but Donegal has a history of electing nutter TDs. They once elected a guy whose entire platform was about preventing the shutdown of illegal TV 'deflectors'.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Was sent this earlier, not really a fan but like this one he has his moments

https://youtu.be/YqJ7KoygkC4

Stolen from YLYL

• Advertisement

kbjazkn7lng41.png

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement