Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle eastern and Islamic attitudes to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've looked in Google, Bing, Yahoo. Even webcrawler, but I can't find anyone being stoned to death or gang raped and killed in an "honour killing" in Ireland...

we can be thankful for that. hopefully that will remain to be the case that no such acts are caried out in ireland.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

we can be thankful for that. hopefully that will remain to be the case that no such acts are caried out in ireland.

so seeing as its ongoing and common in some countries, you might refrain from trying to compare the treatment of women in Ireland today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

But sure the Huffington Post wrote an article a year ago that said Muhammad was a feminist....

I guess marrying a 6 year old little girl and consumating said marriage when the little girl was 9 makes you a feminist in the warped minds of some of the Far-Left.

The Huffington Post is far left? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

so seeing as its ongoing and common in some countries, you might refrain from trying to compare the treatment of women in Ireland today?

did i compare the treatment of women in ireland today? could you quote where if so?

did i compare the treatment of women in ireland today? could you quote where if so?

there you go:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104549260&postcount=147

you're welcome!

• Advertisement

wrong, that was about how we treated women up until not so long ago. within living memory. try again.

wrong, that was about how we treated women up until not so long ago. within living memory. try again.

You're trying to draw comparisons to the respective treatment of women. youre failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

i would suggest a woman being imprisoned, enslaved, beaten constantly, having their child stolen from them and possibly sold off or adopted, all because they dared to get pregnant out of wedlock would be not far off as horrifying as some of the stuff caried out in muslim countries.
    Is this still happening in Ireland today?
    You are comparing Past in Ireland with Present times of a strict Muslim ideology.
    We as a nation have hopefully moved on and learnt from the mistakes of the past.
    On the other hand, in these other countries they prefer to remain in the past and they make no apologies about how they treat women and impose punishments upon them for the crimes of men by stoning them to death or dragging them out into the middle of a road and cutting their heads off.
    They do not believe in equality, if they did why are men only allowed to pray in the main hall of the mosque and why must women enter the mosque by a side door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Spider Web wrote: »
    i would suggest a woman being imprisoned, enslaved, beaten constantly, having their child stolen from them and possibly sold off or adopted, all because they dared to get pregnant out of wedlock would be not far off as horrifying as some of the stuff caried out in muslim countries.
    I would too. It wasn't normal life for most women though - life was still usually a lot better for women like our mothers and grandmothers than life is for women in hardline islamist societies.
    He must surely know this. It was a bad time for women, it's horrific for women in the Muslim world. They have barely any rights whatsoever. The equivalence is not valid.

End of the road why do you always seem to defend Islamic societies and people being critical of it? I don't know what is outrageous for people to say Muslim women have no rights in these countries. It's rather bizarre.

• Advertisement

You're trying to draw comparisons to the respective treatment of women. youre failing.

i'm not no . incorrect. i'm saying that up until not so long ago, in many ways we weren't much better then the middle east theocracies we are complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

End of the road why do you always seem to defend Islamic societies and people being critical of it? I don't know what is outrageous for people to say Muslim women have no rights in these countries. It's rather bizarre.

I've had a shufti through End of the road's post on this thread and for the life of me I couldn't find the one where he was defending Islamic societies. I wonder could you post it for all of us to see please.
    Thanks in advance.

End of the road why do you always seem to defend Islamic societies and people being critical of it?

i have never once defended islamic or any theocratic societies. theocratic societies do not subscribe to the values we do.
    i have stated however that we cannot force our way of life on those societies as much as we would like to.
    I don't know what is outrageous for people to say Muslim women have no rights in these countries. It's rather bizarre.

i would agree if such was said. but nobody has said it's outrageous for people to say Muslim women have no rights in these countries. it has never happened on here.

I've had a shufti through End of the road's post on this thread and for the life of me I couldn't find the one where he was defending Islamic societies. I wonder could you post it for all of us to see please.
    Thanks in advance.
    By bringing up a false equivalence with Irish women in the early 20th century to women in the Muslim world in the 21st century. It beggars belief that anyone would even try to a comparison.

By bringing up a false equivalence with Irish women in the early 20th century to women in the Muslim world in the 21st century. It beggars belief that anyone would even try to a comparison.

irish women faced those treatments i mentioned into the mid to early-late 20th century.

irish women faced those treatments i mentioned into the mid to early-late 20th century.
    But it's the 21st century, most of those issues if not all have vastly improved for women. Also it was never as bad even then as it is NOW for Muslim women in Muslim countries. Again this isn't a revolutionary thing I am saying.

But it's the 21st century, most of those issues if not all have vastly improved for women. Also it was never as bad even then as it is NOW for Muslim women in Muslim countries. Again this isn't a revolutionary thing I am saying.

it's not that long ago since those things happened. it may not have been as bad as an islamic theocracy, as in people weren't stoned to death, but it wasn't that much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

it's not that long ago since those things happened. it may not have been as bad as an islamic theocracy, as in people weren't stoned to death, but it wasn't that much better.

And may it remain fresh in the minds of Irish society that it never happens again.
    But its in Our past and not part of the learning and awareness fabric of Islamic culture.
    So comparing our past with their present is just typical whataboutery.
    But if you do want to compare, have you ever watched a woman being stoned to death, or being dragged out into the middle of the street to have her head cut off, surrounded only by men?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would it be ok for Jews to just kill 6 million Germans now? Sure I mean just to even it up. That's what some of you are like in here when comparing Ireland then and now.

Thanks in advance.

So he has never actually posted anything that could be even loosely interpreted, in any credible way, as 'defending Islamic societies'.
    The 'false equivalence' argument doesn't hold in relation to my query, for even if he did attempt to make an 'equivalence' between the inherent cruel misogyny of Islam with the deplorable treatment of some women by the Catholic Church in Ireland (all in the past, hopefully) he would still be seen as being highly critical of both and therefore defending neither.
    So whether by accident or design, though I suspect the latter, you've been very unfair with that false accusation that he: ''always seems to defend Islamic societies''.

• Advertisement

Would it be ok for Jews to just kill 6 million Germans now? Sure I mean just to even it up.

no, what's your point?
    That's what some of you are like in here when comparing Ireland then and now.

no it's not. more imaginary nonsense and twisting things to mean something that they don't again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Disgusting the way the women are treated, yada yada yada and yet your first comment is that the newsreader is lovely? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

no, what's your point?

no it's not. more imaginary nonsense and twisting things to mean something that they don't again.
    Dearh is death.

Just cause it has War in front of it does not make it more sexy.

Your posts are medieval thinking. thankfully most people see through the bluffer you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Look, there are no questions to answer re the treatment of women in the middle east and predominantly Islamic countries because the magdalene laundries, don't you get it? NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
    Islam is the SAVIOUR of women. That is why we see millions of women from the west emigrating east every year to enjoy the fruits of Mohammed and leave the tyranny of western oppression behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

pilly wrote: »
    Disgusting the way the women are treated, yada yada yada and yet your first comment is that the newsreader is lovely? Seriously?

Calling a woman lovely... it's right up there with stoning and beheading them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

pilly wrote: »

Yes I fancy Emma Barnett.
    This is not in any way disgusting or demeaning to her.

Women fancy men.
    Men fancy women.
    No disgusting treatment involved.

Thanks in advance.

So he has never actually posted anything that could be even loosely interpreted, in any credible way, as 'defending Islamic societies'.
    The 'false equivalence' argument doesn't hold in relation to my query, for even if he did attempt to make an 'equivalence' between the inherent cruel misogyny of Islam with the deplorable treatment of some women by the Catholic Church in Ireland (all in the past, hopefully) he would still be seen as being highly critical of both and therefore defending neither.
    So whether by accident or design, though I suspect the latter, you've been very unfair with that false accusation that he: ''always seems to defend Islamic societies''.
     Defense of Islam by bringing up Irelands past with women's rights issues. He has done it on plenty of other threads on the subject. Always seems to find a way to dilute the issue.

Defense of Islam by bringing up Irelands past with women's rights issues. He has done it on plenty of other threads on the subject. Always seems to find a way to dilute the issue.

no, never happened.

Attacking the Catholic Church and their former (I hope) grip on Irish governance and society is not defending Islam. Not quite sure that I get your logic, and you still haven't produced any post of his to substantiate your, by now, spurious claim that he's defending Islam.

Only guessing here, but I think his point is 'Get down off your high horse, it wasn't so long ago that some women in this country were treated like shít courtesy of the Catholic Church'
    So your counter argument to a Magdalene Laundry survivor might be: Well you may have been treated cruelly - some might say enslaved - by the Catholic Church but at least you weren't stoned to death on a public street.
    Fair enough I suppose and personally I'll take living in a western democracy over life in a theocracy or emirate every day of the week and every week of the year.
    But you're starting to embarrass yourself now by sticking to this 'End of the road' defends Islam shtick, hell you're even moving the goalposts now with:
    ''He has done it on plenty of other threads on the subject''
    Again, let's see the posts where he ''defends Islam'', even on other threads.
    I'm waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

Yes I fancy Emma Barnett.
    This is not in any way disgusting or demeaning to her.

Women fancy men.
    Men fancy women.
    No disgusting treatment involved.

LMAO, Pilly just go back to your safe space! :D:D:D

Advertisement