Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4Chan with another brilliant trolling social commentary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What is it with After Hours being overrun by these alt-right eegits? The forum is being destroyed with their continual posts about "muslims" this and "feminazis" that. I am posting here twelve years and it has never been so bad. Imagine thinking 4Chan users are clever?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lux23 wrote: »
    What is it with After Hours being overrun by these alt-right eegits? The forum is being destroyed with their continual posts about "muslims" this and "feminazis" that. I am posting here twelve years and it has never been so bad. Imagine thinking 4Chan users are clever?

All from new accounts with only a handful of posts who seem to disappear after a couple of weeks only to be replaced by other brand new accounts with a distinctly similar posting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Political violence is always wrong when people I disagree with do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

I repeatably said the white supremacists are scum and so are antifa. Some people seem happy to give the alt left a free ride ( they only attack nazi's, they don't attack women ) so pointing out the hypocrisy is always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Left wing. Ring wing. A bunch of willie arses if you ask me. Who's with me?

I'm sorry Jacksie the correct answer to that question for was C : Chicken wing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheCatSpangler

Spider Web wrote: »
    Not in favour of any violence unless it's in self defence or sometimes to teach an extremely violent person a lesson (e.g. someone terrorising their neighbourhood) and I really dislike this "Punch a nazi" thing for their beliefs alone. Talk about giving them ammunition. It is only going to make them more entrenched in their views, and could help them to recruit. It's quite dangerous really when considering the bigger picture.

Particularly when they have such an incredibly loose definition of the term Nazi.

Donald Trump? Nazi. Republican? Nazi. Conservative? Nazi. Wear an American flag? Nazi. Served in the US armed forces? Nazi. But... I fought in WWII, you know, against the actual actual Nazi's? Nazi. Rich? Nazi. Don't believe in reparations for black people? Nazi. Don't believe transgenderism is completely devoid of a psychological or environmental influence? Nazi. Aren't ashamed of being a straight white cisgender male? Nazi. Don't support Black Lives Matter for any reason? Nazi. Don't believe in the patriarchy hypothesis? Nazi. The Rolling Stones? Just a band. The Beatles? Just a band. Disapprove of politically motivated violence in any form? Oh you better believe you're a ****ing Nazi.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Noel82 wrote: »
    I repeatably said the white supremacists are scum and so are antifa. Some people seem happy to give the alt left a free ride ( they only attack nazi's, they don't attack women ) so pointing out the hypocrisy is always fun.

can you define that or is it just a catchy buzzword? See "alt-right" has almost clear definitions in regards to what they stand for and who their figureheads are (Katie Hopkins, that Milo guy etc). But there seems to be this very lazy, unintelligent labelling of groups like antifa or whatnot as "alt-left". To me it shows a complete lack of education and such a narrow perspective on these issues and is almost used as a convenient way of dismissing them. I feel the same way about the term "alt-right" in a lot of ways but then you have very clear champions of that cause that use the term....

and that bit at the end "pointing out the hypocrisy is always fun." See that sums up a lot for me. the want to aggressively troll. Its amazing how thats such a common trait for people against 'snowflakes' and 'SJW's' and whatnot. Its like they constantly need to annoy and troll in order to justify themselves. There are probably a lot deeper things going on tied directly to identity and online attitudes that have become distorted into to real life but its just amazing how similar the want and need to troll is. Yes we know you are there, we are aware that you have an opinion that is quite edgy and yes, it still has no weight or education behind it and just because you are loud and angry it still doesn't mean squat. I say that with Donald Trump as President, so yeah, maybe it does mean something after all. Maybe it means biting your nose off to spite your face.

BMMachine wrote: »
    See "alt-right" has almost clear definitions in regards to what they stand for and who their figureheads are (Katie Hopkins, that Milo guy etc).

Katie Hopkins is alt right now?

psinno wrote: »
    Katie Hopkins is alt right now?

shes not? I've spent a lot of time ignoring her. In fact searching for her name in that previous post I typed in "Katie Tomkins". Last I saw of her was on the Late Late Show and yeah, she was spouting the usual edgy/retarded alt-right crap

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Particularly when they have such an incredibly loose definition of the term Nazi.

Donald Trump? Nazi. Republican? Nazi. Conservative? Nazi. Wear an American flag? Nazi. Served in the US armed forces? Nazi. But... I fought in WWII, you know, against the actual actual Nazi's? Nazi. Rich? Nazi. Don't believe in reparations for black people? Nazi. Don't believe transgenderism is completely devoid of a psychological or environmental influence? Nazi. Aren't ashamed of being a straight white cisgender male? Nazi. Don't support Black Lives Matter for any reason? Nazi. Don't believe in the patriarchy hypothesis? Nazi. The Rolling Stones? Just a band. The Beatles? Just a band. Disapprove of politically motivated violence in any form? Oh you better believe you're a ****ing Nazi.

Get over yourself. You sound hysterical. what you posted is just stupid. And no, I don't need to justify that comment, it's perfectly evident.
    BTW, those guys in charlotsville were Nazi's and Neo Nazi's.
    can you define that or is it just a catchy buzzword? See "alt-right" has almost clear definitions in regards to what they stand for and who their figureheads are (Katie Hopkins, that Milo guy etc). But there seems to be this very lazy, unintelligent labelling of groups like antifa or whatnot as "alt-left". To me it shows a complete lack of education and such a narrow perspective on these issues and is almost used as a convenient way of dismissing them. I feel the same way about the term "alt-right" in a lot of ways but then you have very clear champions of that cause that use the term....

That's the thing. There's a small group in the US called the Antifa (I had to google them and they're not nice). However anyone who protests against the alt-right is getting labeled with this. As you say, it's a throwaway comment that they use to dismiss and disparage someone. Most people would have called me a lefty, even though by european standards, I'm pretty much a centrist. I'd never heard of antifa until I saw it on a right wing website. Now it's everywhere and if I protested against anything right wing I'd be a "Antifa".

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Get over yourself. You sound hysterical. what you posted is just stupid. And no, I don't need to justify that comment, it's perfectly evident.
    BTW, those guys in charlotsville were Nazi's and Neo Nazi's.

:D well that's me told. Its just a song bro. Do you even song?

Stop being so hysterical and posting stupid things. You can tell they're stupid by how I just said they were stupid just then. What things did you post that were stupid? The stupid things. Don't be so hypocritical. How are you being hypocritical? By like, all the hyposcrisy, maybe? Isn't that obvious to you? Its obvious to me, and everyone. Everyone but you. Whoopah! So evident.

That makes us 1-1 I'm guessing? Let the battle of the debating geniuses resume!

Grayson wrote: »
    Now it's everywhere and if I protested against anything right wing I'd be a "Antifa".

I don't think I have heard it used against protesters unless they are violent or are covering their face. Usually both.

:D well that's me told. Its just a song bro. Do you even song?

Stop being so hysterical and posting stupid things. You can tell they're stupid by how I just said they were stupid just then. What things did you post that were stupid? The stupid things. Don't be so hypocritical. How are you being hypocritical? By like, all the hyposcrisy, maybe? Isn't that obvious to you? Its obvious to me, and everyone. Everyone but you. Whoopah! So evident.

That makes us 1-1 I'm guessing? Let the battle of the debating geniuses resume!

see what I said about the need to troll. Its part of the identity "bro"

see what I said about the need to troll. Its part of the identity "bro"

Look, this isn't your first day on the internet. You know as well as I do that calling someone a troll is the trolliest thing someone can do. "" ing something they said is the second most. So put down the stones there pal, or you're going to be picking that glass out of your hair for the rest of the night.

Look, this isn't your first day on the internet. You know as well as I do that calling someone a troll is the trolliest thing someone can do. "" ing something they said is the second most. So put down the stones there pal, or you're going to be picking that glass out of your hair for the rest of the night.

good old "I know you are but what am I", a classic.
    Fact remains though, that there is a direct correlation with alternative/edgy views on current western social events such as neo-nazi's and Trump and peoples want to troll. You are right, I've been online since about 1995 and over the past 8/9 years I've seen a marked increase in cultures of trolling and identity politics. People taking the edgiest view in order to define themselves. People constantly labelling everything so they can pretend to understand it (Victorian ideas of 'labelled and known'). And of course people constantly agitating on things like feminism, racism, immigration etc.

This site and this forum in particular are small amounts of evidence in a much bigger problem. Trolling has changed a lot over the years and now its tied far more directly into politics and society rather than a niche of online dribblers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Fact remains though, that there is a direct correlation with alternative/edgy views on current western social events such as neo-nazi's and Trump and peoples want to troll. You are right, I've been online since about 1995 and over the past 8/9 years I've seen a marked increase in cultures of trolling and identity politics. People taking the edgiest view in order to define themselves. People constantly labelling everything so they can pretend to understand it (Victorian ideas of 'labelled and known'). And of course people constantly agitating on things like feminism, racism, immigration etc.

This site and this forum in particular are small amounts of evidence in a much bigger problem. Trolling has changed a lot over the years and now its tied far more directly into politics and society rather than a niche of online dribblers.

Well, there is a full blown culture war taking place now. And about 95% of it has been coming from one side i.e. radical elements within the schools, colleges, academia, and media.
    And I don't see this ending, ever. They're NEVER satisfied, no matter how much appeasement they receive.

Case in point: It was reported today the Gone With The Wind is the latest victim of political correctness: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/29/theatre-in-memphis-pulls-racially-insensitive-gone-with-the-wind

Just what are these people trying to achieve, exactly?

I agree with everything you just said here. Reasonably well articulated, too.

I'm not trying to troll anyone though. I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin, sow disruption, or saying anything I don't believe to be true. I just see the absurdity of the situation and the people and attitudes and ideologies involved. That's all. And I'm not adverse to reflecting posts I feel are lacking self awareness. I'm a humanist, maybe the last humanist, Kevin.

95%

why not 94%? or 90%?

how about - 50%?
    What about 20%?
    oh wait I know, 96%

Where is this culture war taking place? Is it a digital culture war or a culture war on the streets? Evidence for both I suppose. Is there a problem with whats happening in reality bleeding over and becoming distorted online and visa-versa? I'd say there is a 95% chance that there is, I did the maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Even the Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin , who turned a blind eye when Antifa were attacking innocent people, is doing a quiet 180 degree turn now that Antifa have started attacking media and bystanders:
    BERKELEY (CBS SF) — Mayor of Berkeley Jesse Arreguin on Monday said it is time to confront the violent extremism on the left by treating black-clad Antifa protesters as a gang.

A large number of masked Antifa activists were seen jumping the barriers at a largely peaceful demonstration in Berkeley’s Martin Luther King Civic Center Park on Sunday.

Some began attacking Trump supporters at the rally.

I think we should classify them as a gang,” said Arreguin. “They come dressed in uniforms. They have weapons, almost like a militia and I think we need to think about that in terms of our law enforcement approach.”

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/08/28/berkeley-mayor-classify-antifa-as-a-gang/

Better late than never, I suppose. I'm just astonished that anyone (including the media) could possibly have considered Antifa as the 'good guys' for a short period of time. Reality wasn't long setting in...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont advocate violence of any kind. Antifa are absolute retards but at the same time it wouldnt keep me up at night knowing anyone who subscribes to nazi ideology gets seven shades of **** knocked out of them

• Advertisement

'good guys'

why is there so much focus on antifa? Its like football fans who chant racist slurs or that kinda thing and then going "all the fans from that club are racists!"
    Antifa seem pretty small. I had no idea they existed up until recently and nor do I care much about their existence or what they are doing.

What I do care about though is the surge in hard right ideals akin to those of Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy & Spain etc. I think we all care far more about that kind of inhuman scum rearing its head again than 'anitfa' or internet memes like 'punch a nazi'. Taking the edgiest angle to approach these troubling subjects is just a big distraction that people shouldn't concern themselves with.

I'd be more than a bit annoyed if I was a battered woman who was then portrayed as being a nazi and in some way deserving of the battering, to be honest.

More than likely just an actress. but yeh

why is there so much focus on antifa? Its like football fans who chant racist slurs or that kinda thing and then going "all the fans from that club are racists!"
    Antifa seem pretty small. I had no idea they existed up until recently and nor do I care much about their existence or what they are doing.

What I do care about though is the surge in hard right ideals akin to those of Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy & Spain etc. I think we all care far more about that kind of inhuman scum rearing its head again than 'anitfa' or internet memes like 'punch a nazi'. Taking the edgiest angle to approach these troubling subjects is just a big distraction that people shouldn't concern themselves with.

White supremacy groups are laughably small in numbers throughout europe and north america. Any white nationalist rallys are massively overwhelmed by anti fascist groups time and time again. its complete scare mongering to say theres a huge spike in right wing extremism . Racism still is socially unacceptable across the vast majority of western society, even more so any kind of 'dangerous' forms of racism..as in physical harm

wakka12 wrote: »
    White supremacy groups are laughably small in numbers throughout europe and north america. Any white nationalist rallys are massively overwhelmed by anti fascist groups time and time again. its complete scare mongering to say theres a huge spike in right wing extremism . Racism still is socially unacceptable across the vast majority of western society, even more so any kind of 'dangerous' forms of racism..as in physical harm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40915356
    While I agree that the more radical far right elements aren't growing as much as you would be led to believe, what worries me more is the growing attitudes that lean towards their line of thinking which certainly is on the rise (see Brexit and Trump - both won with big elements of racism at play). This empowers those groups and they are growing, albeit not at that great a speed.

As I said on this thread before, there is an overwhelming surge in this spiteful, troll-y culture which is especially prevalent on the internet. People like Katie Hopkins and Milo C*ntbagtrollopolis would have been laughed off the stage 10 - 12 years ago but are now almost constantly in the media and have a very strong following. Doing their work for them by "exposing" small groups like antifa and deflecting everything away from the problems of this nasty, isolationist, bigoted culture isn't a good thing. But as I also said, people want to be edgy as their identity needs them to be so they'll be all "ooooohhhh man feminism is a lie and antifa are awful and I hate SJW's" and blablabla not realising they have exactly the same attitude as the people they hate just focused in a different way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

People like Katie Hopkins and Milo C*ntbagtrollopolis would have been laughed off the stage 10 - 12 years ago but are now almost constantly in the media and have a very strong following.

The reason Milo wotsits isn't being laughed off the stage is because the identity politics idiots he's lampooning are so ridiculous that he just can't lose.

identity politics was always meant to polarize people and drive them towards an extreme, the f***king idiots in the US who saw it as a valid tactic have now seen it blow up in their face with trumps election

Although the hard core marxist gob****e will see that as the tactic working.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

While I agree that the more radical far right elements aren't growing as much as you would be led to believe, what worries me more is the growing attitudes that lean towards their line of thinking which certainly is on the rise (see Brexit and Trump - both won with big elements of racism at play). This empowers those groups and they are growing, albeit not at that great a speed.

As I said on this thread before, there is an overwhelming surge in this spiteful, troll-y culture which is especially prevalent on the internet. People like Katie Hopkins and Milo C*ntbagtrollopolis would have been laughed off the stage 10 - 12 years ago but are now almost constantly in the media and have a very strong following. Doing their work for them by "exposing" small groups like antifa and deflecting everything away from the problems of this nasty, isolationist, bigoted culture isn't a good thing. But as I also said, people want to be edgy as their identity needs them to be so they'll be all "ooooohhhh man feminism is a lie and antifa are awful and I hate SJW's" and blablabla not realising they have exact

As I said on this thread before, there is an overwhelming surge in this spiteful, troll-y culture which is especially prevalent on the internet. People like Katie Hopkins and Milo C*ntbagtrollopolis would have been laughed off the stage 10 - 12 years ago but are now almost constantly in the media and have a very strong following. Doing their work for them by "exposing" small groups like antifa and deflecting everything away from the problems of this nasty, isolationist, bigoted culture isn't a good thing. But as I also said, people want to be edgy as their identity needs them to be so they'll be all "ooooohhhh man feminism is a lie and antifa are awful and I hate SJW's" and blablabla not realising they have exactly the same attitude as the people they hate just focused in a different way
    "" antifa are awful ""

• When Antifa target right wing people in general, pick on people in wheelchairs & target fathers & young sons attending a peaceful rally they score own goals of their own.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/902848844035174400

https://twitter.com/huitz_warrior/status/901928497622409216

"" People like Katie Hopkins and Milo C*ntbagtrollopolis would have been laughed off the stage 10 - 12 years ago but are now almost constantly in the media ""

People need to sit back & ask why is this the case ? If Milos speaking engagements weren,t disrupted with violent riots in the streets + if Katie Hopkins media appearances weren,t the subject of calls for " no platform " how much publicity would they get if they were ignored instead of acknowledged ? Reverse psychology. 

Think back to last winter when Katie Hopkins was invited to appear on the late late show certain left parties started a social media campaign to try pressure the late late show to cancel & " no platform " Katie Hopkins , guess what the end result was ? higher ratings for the late late show that night following all the publicity certain left parties gave Katie Hopkins whereas if they hadn,t of thrown such a hissy fit she prob wouldn,t of getting extra publicity with higher ratings for the late late show, think about it like this " Controversy Creates Interest " .

https://www.goss.ie/tv/ratings-katie-hopkins-late-late-appearance-revealed-88576

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

tigger123 wrote: »
    I abhor all types of violence, except punching Nazis.
    I'm not racist but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

You might be correct that alt-right does have a tighter and more extreme meaning than many people realize, in fact AFAIK that was the point of the term to some extent, to detoxify actually white supremacists/race realists/white separatists (delete as appropriate).
    However you then go on to mention two people who aren't part of the narrower definition of alt-right so I am not sure if you should be talking about lazy and unintelligent labeling.
    It doesn't matter if you like them or think they are satan incarnate, neither Katie Hopkins or Milo fit the original alt-right thing at all- they might fit the misrepresentation of alt-right but if this case your arguing against exactly that type of thinking :confused:

I would classify Hopkins and Milo as alt-right. Different shades of it, but they are in there no matter how much they deny it. I see them as perfectly fine non-political figureheads and spokespeople for that branch of thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I would classify Hopkins and Milo as alt-right. Different shades of it, but they are in there no matter how much they deny it. I see them as perfectly fine non-political figureheads and spokespeople for that branch of thinking

And here lies the problem those individuals might be disagreeable but they wouldn't fit with the original alt-right seriously look at a few articles about the "early" movement.
    People are skeptical of the whole violently resisting a Nazi ideas precisely because of this, they see how the definition just expands to include anyone disliked by the hard left.

Advertisement