Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheists.. pee me off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Anybody know where I can get the Michael Jackson popcorn gif?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Your Face wrote: »

I much prefer this one

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Depends on the atheist really. The seperation of church and state badly needs to happen. Constantly calling religious people stupid doesn't need to happen. I'm of the former variety.

An atheist should also ridicule all religions and not just the ones that are trendy to pick on. E.G the Catholic church.

It's also false to say religion or religious orders offered us nothing. The Catholic church for all it's faults gave us the following:

Albertus Magnus, Dominican monk and patron saint of the natural sciences,
    Roger Bacon, Franciscan friar and founder of the modern scientific method,

George Coyne, Jesuit priest and astronomer, best known for his work on Seyfert galaxies,

Johann Dzierzon, priest and father of apiology, who discovered parthenogenesis in bees,

Gabriele Falloppio, priest and inventor of the condom, after whom the Fallopian tubes are named,

Andrew Gordon, Benedictine monk and inventor of the first electric motor,

René Just Haüy, priest and father of crystallography,

Ányos Jedlík, Benedictine priest and inventor of the electromagnetic dynamo,

Athanasius Kircher, Jesuit priest and the first to link disease to microbes,

Monsignor Georges LeMaitre, Jesuit priest and mathematician, propounder of the Big Bang Theory,

Gregor Mendel, Augustinian monk and father of genetics,

Julius Nieuwland, Holy Cross priest whose work on synthetic rubber led to the invention of neoprene,

William of Ockham, Franciscan monk and propounder of Occam’s Razor,

Andrew Pinsent, priest, collaborator on DELPHI at CERN, currently researching autism, and almost definitely on the list of Smartest People Alive Today,

Louis Rendu, priest and propounder of the mechanisms of glacial motion,

Nicolas Steno, bishop and father of geology, one of the first people to identify fossils for what they were,

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Jesuit and palaeontologist, discoverer of Peking Man,

Ferdinand Verbiest, Jesuit and designer of the first self-propelled vehicle,
    Erich Wasmann, Jesuit and evolutionary entymologist, best known for Wasmannian mimicry,

Francesco Zantedeschi, priest and possible discoverer of electromagnetism and why the sky is blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gw80

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Depends on the atheist really. The seperation of church and state badly needs to happen. Constantly calling religious people stupid doesn't need to happen. I'm of the former variety.

An atheist should also ridicule all religions and not just the ones that are trendy to pick on. E.G the Catholic church.

It's also false to say religion or religious orders offered us nothing. The Catholic church for all it's faults gave us the following:

Albertus Magnus, Dominican monk and patron saint of the natural sciences,
    Roger Bacon, Franciscan friar and founder of the modern scientific method,

George Coyne, Jesuit priest and astronomer, best known for his work on Seyfert galaxies,

Johann Dzierzon, priest and father of apiology, who discovered parthenogenesis in bees,

Gabriele Falloppio, priest and inventor of the condom, after whom the Fallopian tubes are named,

Andrew Gordon, Benedictine monk and inventor of the first electric motor,

René Just Haüy, priest and father of crystallography,

Ányos Jedlík, Benedictine priest and inventor of the electromagnetic dynamo,

Athanasius Kircher, Jesuit priest and the first to link disease to microbes,

Monsignor Georges LeMaitre, Jesuit priest and mathematician, propounder of the Big Bang Theory,

Gregor Mendel, Augustinian monk and father of genetics,

Julius Nieuwland, Holy Cross priest whose work on synthetic rubber led to the invention of neoprene,

William of Ockham, Franciscan monk and propounder of Occam’s Razor,

Andrew Pinsent, priest, collaborator on DELPHI at CERN, currently researching autism, and almost definitely on the list of Smartest People Alive Today,

Louis Rendu, priest and propounder of the mechanisms of glacial motion,

Nicolas Steno, bishop and father of geology, one of the first people to identify fossils for what they were,

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Jesuit and palaeontologist, discoverer of Peking Man,

Ferdinand Verbiest, Jesuit and designer of the first self-propelled vehicle,
    Erich Wasmann, Jesuit and evolutionary entymologist, best known for Wasmannian mimicry,

Francesco Zantedeschi, priest and possible discoverer of electromagnetism and why the sky is blue.

And don't forget those good monks at the buckfast monastery;)

• Advertisement

I much prefer this one

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Is this an atheist thing or can we all eat popcorn; i'm hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

The church in this country weren't armed they didn't force people to give up children send pregnant women away etc it was the idiots in this country who followed them that were the problem, the idiots who voted for the politicians who allowed the church to have a say in things.

People need to remember that before going to the easy angle of blaming the church for everything, it just makes people feel better because they can blame the church rather than blaming their parents and grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Albertus Magnus [...]

I don’t think anyone would deny that over the centuries religious people have done good things. The question is, rather, did they do those good things because they were religious—that is, was being religious a necessary condition for doing good things? I think not.

Other people have contributed to science too. It just happened that early in our history the church was the main institution capable of supporting the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Is this an atheist thing or can we all eat popcorn; i'm hungry.

POPCORN FOR ALL !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

utmbuilder wrote: »
    What is the deal with atheists campaigning for their beliefs and lack of.

Surely if you dont believe in something you just chill out shut up and go by your daily business.

They threat atheism like their new own religion, wanting to squash anything in their sight or their children sight which resembles anyone elses beliefs.

Is it just them thinking they are superior to everyone else and know everything?

I am no holy joe, but these guys pee me off.
    They are similar to vegans that don't eat meat but they can't fcuking stop talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Are there really that many atheists who constantly spout on about it and make fun of religious people?

Or are some people taking the extreme examples of a*seholery (see Ricky Gervais) and applying that to all atheists?

At this stage I know very few people who aren't atheist or at least not very religious. I'm not even sure of that statement as it literally never comes up in conversation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I wouldn't say bad people, probably the most boring imaginations in society though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

The church in this country weren't armed they didn't force people to give up children send pregnant women away etc it was the idiots in this country who followed them that were the problem, the idiots who voted for the politicians who allowed the church to have a say in things.

People need to remember that before going to the easy angle of blaming the church for everything, it just makes people feel better because they can blame the church rather than blaming their parents and grandparents.
    Haha what? Are you actually trolling or do you believe what you've just written? Because if you do, I feel sorry for how indoctrinated you are. The church is almost wholly to blame for the Magadelene Laundries. Like, let's look at what happened if you got pregnant out of wedlock.

You had 2 options. Either a. enter the laundry or b. be shamed, have no support, be brought up as a sinner and basically be shunned by your community. Believe it or not, the church had massive sway over each and every parish at the time. It wasn't until the 70s that this power started to wane. These women had no choice.

That's not to mention what happened in these institutions, the way dead babies were put into mass graves, how the mother would most likely never see her child again. Those weren't the fault of parents or grandparents, but the church. Finally, sexual abuse against young children by priests definitely is no-one's fault but those priests, and the cover-up is wholly on the church.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    They are similar to vegans that don't eat meat but they can't fcuking stop talking about it.

I don’t see the similarity.

“God exists” is an existence claim, and thus by definition empirical at its root.

“It’s wrong to eat animals” is a moral claim, necessarily contingent on some conceptually prior argument starting with an initial statement of ethical principle.

The only thing the two have in common is that they often annoy many of the same people. Which is rather telling, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    That's not to mention what happened in these institutions, the way dead babies were put into mass graves, how the mother would most likely never see her child again. Those weren't the fault of parents or grandparents, but the church. Finally, sexual abuse against young children by priests definitely is no-one's fault but those priests, and the cover-up is wholly on the church.

Exactly. Religion didn't help to prevent these abuses carried out by ordained members of religious orders ... so I conclude that it's not an essential part of our moral architecture.

We've had 2500 years to try to get monotheism right. We've failed miserably.

On a spiritual level, if people want to keep an open mind, and find not enough light in the thought of a universe without higher powers in it, then they should keep an open mind on > 1 god.
    If people have looked to god for answers, and found only the abyss staring backing at them, and can live with being a firefly in the night... then atheism is for them. No one said it'd be easy.

But we need to separate entirely this idea of religion having anything to do with morality, or of one particular god having the right answers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Academic wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone would deny that over the centuries religious people have done good things. The question is, rather, did they do those good things because they were religious—that is, was being religious a necessary condition for doing good things? I think not.

Other people have contributed to science too. It just happened that early in our history the church was the main institution capable of supporting the work.

I'm not saying that being religious led to these things at all.

I'm not saying that being religious led to these things at all.

Agreed. It was simple historical happenstance that there were for so long comparable institutions capable of supporting sustained and often shared research programs.

Agreed. It was simple historical happenstance that there were for so long comparable institutions capable of supporting sustained and often shared research programs.

You dont know that, their faith could have driven them, motivating facture like Newton and God as the masterful creator. Many of these people believed Science and Religion could complement each other.

So we can thank organised religion for one thing I suppose.

You dont know that, their faith could have driven them, motivating facture like Newton and God as the masterful creatures. Many of these people believed Science and Religion could complement each other.

If you read what I wrote you'll see that I never said anything about anyone's motivations. I was talking about institutional support.

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Haha what? Are you actually trolling or do you believe what you've just written? Because if you do, I feel sorry for how indoctrinated you are. The church is almost wholly to blame for the Magadelene Laundries. Like, let's look at what happened if you got pregnant out of wedlock.

You had 2 options. Either a. enter the laundry or b. be shamed, have no support, be brought up as a sinner and basically be shunned by your community. Believe it or not, the church had massive sway over each and every parish at the time. It wasn't until the 70s that this power started to wane. These women had no choice.

Or the third option could be that the parents of the girl that got pregnant could stand up for her and actually look after the girl herself.

The people who went along with the church were idiots it's just people don't want to admit the large role their parents and grandparents played in giving the church such power and allowing them to do this stuff so they just blindly blame the church for everything without ever questioning why the church could do such things in the first place.

If you read what I wrote you'll see that I never said anything about anyone's motivations. I was talking about institutional support.

But it went hand in hand, they were men of their time.

The people who went along with the church were idiots it's just people don't want to admit the large role their parents and grandparents played in giving the church such power and allowing them to do this stuff so they just blindly blame the church for everything without ever questioning why the church could do such things in the first place.

Maybe you should start questioning why a church which is supposed to be dedicated to love, mercy, patience and understanding, of brotherhood and sisterhood... is capable of such abuse.
    You are holding the church to a human standard, as if they were the mafia or a political party or some semi-state entity.
    They are supposed to be the representatives of an all loving moral supreme being on earth.

If that is the best that religion can do ... we have no need of it for moral purposes.

But it went hand in hand, they were men of their time.

As is everyone, at all times. So what?

Look, I get it. You want to talk about "motivation." I'm not interested in that and won't comment further.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Maybe you should start questioning why a church which is supposed to be dedicated to love, mercy, patience and understanding, of brotherhood and sisterhood... is capable of such abuse.
    You are holding the church to a human standard, as if they were the mafia or a political party or some semi-state entity.
    They are supposed to be the representatives of an all loving moral supreme being on earth.

If that is the best that religion can do ... we have no need of it for moral purposes.

But the priests,nuns etc are humans so they should be held to a human standard.

The People of Ireland allowed the church the power they had in this country and nobody wants to admit it.

But the priests,nuns etc are humans so they should be held to a human standard.
    The People of Ireland allowed the church the power they had in this country and nobody wants to admit it.

No. The priests and nuns claim to be the representatives on earth of their all loving all wise supreme being. They must be held to that standard.

All the religious instruction they had... The Bible... None of it prevented them abusing the power that the people of Ireland placed in their hands.

We should have been able to trust them with this power, if religion had the power to engender moral behaviour. We cannot. Because their religion must be useless for moral purposes if so many of the annointed representatives of the religion can be moral degenerates.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No. The priests and nuns claim to be the representatives on earth of their all loving all wise supreme being. They must be held to that standard.

All the religious instruction they had... The Bible... None of it prevented them abusing the power that the people of Ireland placed in their hands.

We should have been able to trust them with this power, if religion had the power to engender moral behaviour. We cannot. Because their religion must be useless for moral purposes if so many of the annointed representatives of the religion can be moral degenerates.

They're human, they should be judged by that standard.

As is everyone, at all times. So what?

Look, I get it. You want to talk about "motivation." I'm not interested in that and won't comment further.

lol :pac: :rolleyes:

Then do not comment & you dont 'get it'

They're human, they should be judged by that standard.

By the standards of their own religion, they were abject moral degenerates.
    That should have been the only standard that mattered to them.
    And it should have been the standard that mattered to their superiors in the church.
    Instead their superiors turned a blind eye or shuffled them off to a different place to continue abusing when too many people asked difficult questions.

Conclusion, given that the church ignores its own moral teachings, so the rest of society has no need of the moral standards of any religion, nor should we believe that the professed moral standards of a church has any connection to its actual behaviour. Human standards are all we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Or the third option could be that the parents of the girl that got pregnant could stand up for her and actually look after the girl herself.

In a country ruled by fear of burning in hell and being shunned by your community? Was never going to happen. The church ruled through fear and having hands in the Government, it's not as simple as standing up for the girl. Girls could be ordered to go to a laundry, or have you forgotten that?

The blame falls almost entirely on the church for what they said. I'm sorry, but if you don't think that you are delusional and are just trying to find a reason why the church shouldn't shoulder the blame.

Advertisement