Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheists.. pee me off

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Ipso wrote: »
    My issue with teaching religion (Catholicism really) is that they are bloody children, you could teach them that the moon is made of cheese at that age and they will believe it.
    Most adults haven't a clue what it means to be a catholic so why bother pretending with children?

Eh, I think it's called indoctrination.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'll chill out once we finally separate church and state.

I couldn't care less what people believe, as long as it doesn't impact me. Currently it does.

In what way is religion effecting your life?

Just give us the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In what way is religion effecting your life?

Just give us the headlines.

Education being the obvious one like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ipso wrote: »
    My issue with teaching religion (Catholicism really) is that they are bloody children, you could teach them that the moon is made of cheese at that age and they will believe it.
    Most adults haven't a clue what it means to be a catholic so why bother pretending with children?

The bolded part is the important part. Other's can't help you with that. You need to figure that out for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The bolded part is the important part. Other's can't help you with that. You need to figure that out for yourself

The catholic part wasn't saying I have a problem with catholicism but that teaching religion in Ireland is really just teaching catholicism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lawred2 wrote: »

Education?

When I was in secondary school some years a go all manner of religions were taught and it was a Catholic school. I'd say it's changed even more since then.

I'm just wondering how this is negatively impacting people's lives.

The OP is hardly still at school we can safely assume.

If it was the 80's it would be far more understandable.

This is just the Irish disease of needing something/anything to moan about.

lawred2 wrote: »

This appears to be an important subject to you. Can we ask what particular failings/difficulties in your life do you attribute to the teaching of religion during your schooldays?

Let me guess, you would have won the Nobel prize in medicine for curing cancer if the time spent in religion class had been spent on biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This appears to be an important subject to you. Can we ask what particular failings/difficulties in your life do you attribute to the teaching of religion during your schooldays?

Let me guess, you have won the Nobel prize in medicine for curing cancer if the time spent in religion class had been spent on biology?

Lets put alchemy and astrology on the curriculum then instead of religion as we have never had an Irish pope.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lets put alchemy and astrology on the curriculum then instead of religion as we have never had an Irish pope.

I was simply asking the poster how religion affected his education. I don't think he was trying to become Pope. I don't know for certain but you never know. Kids and their crazy dreams eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Sure what harm is there in a bit of alchemy or a spot of astrology, ok so they're not as convoluted as religion but what else would you doing in school, learning biology and chemistry so you might end up curing cancer or some such scientific shíte....

• Advertisement

Sure what harm is there in a bit of alchemy or a spot of astrology, ok so they're not as convoluted as religion but what else would you doing in school, learning biology and chemistry so you might end up curing cancer or some such scientific shíte....

Yeah its not like there are researchers in trinity and ucd etc doing research into actual diseases who went through the irish school system...

Probably they should just be holding hands and having a novena though.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Are you telling me that our Lord Jesus Christ is the same being as Lord Brahma?
    That's crazy stuff. The former is a kindly bearded man who got into a spot of bother with the Romans a couple of thousand years ago, give or take. He's now ensconced 'upstairs' for his sins in that great nightclub in the sky, and good luck to him. While the latter has five fúcking heads for christsakes, or certainly did have till Shiva lopped one off leaving him with a paltry four. So there's one major difference right there....or three if you will.
    And ok so they both share the first name 'Lord', but that doesn't make them the same, what if they both shared the surname 'Lord' would that make them ''the same being'', eh, I don't think so.
    Think journalist Miriam Lord and up and coming American country singer Billy Lord, are they the same person...well maybe but that's the exception proving the rule.
    My argument still holds, I think...Billy and Miriam Lord notwithstanding.
    Raise your game.
    I would raise my game but right now im watching a fab show on Netflix and don't have time to debate, goodnight oh and God bless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Isn't a atheist some one who doesn't believe in a god or gods.
    Also doesn't believe in intelligent design or creationism?

Instead believes that everything came from nothing and spontaneous life.

I have always tried to keep an open mind. In my opinion, an all seeing god, everything from nothing and spontaneous life all require an equal amount of faith.

I choose the path of Christianity, as it most in line with how I'd like to live my life.

I think it's foolish for either side to dismiss the others belief as they are all as likely or unlikely as the other.

Nabber wrote: »
    I think it's foolish for either side to dismiss the others belief as they are all as likely or unlikely as the other.

I agree that the Christian god is as likely to exist as Zeus.

But given that the universe we observe shows absolutely zero evidence of supernatural deities... it is illogical to suppose their existence is as likely as their absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

We might never have the answer to that question but smarter people than me are making educated guesses about it rather than saying 'god done it, job done want to knock off early and grab a pint?'.

Also as an aside an atheist doesn't believe in God, literally everything else is up for grabs. One atheist might believe the world was created by cats the other might believe it was created by dogs and they'll argue about who created the dogs and cats first between each other.

Also as an aside an atheist doesn't believe in God, literally everything else is up for grabs. One atheist might believe the world was created by cats the other might believe it was created by dogs and they'll argue about who created the dogs and cats first between each other.

Thats obvious. It was some sort of proto catdog common ancestor sharing both canine and feline characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Ironic username to be honest. [*1]

Teach art as part of history too. [*2]
    Sure aren't all the famous painters in the past? :pac: [*3]

But at least we appeared to have reached a consensus that the "atheist view" on completely removing anything to do with religion from the curriculum is a stupid idea. [*4]

[*1] You seem not to know what the word 'irony' means.
    [*2] You've never heard of 'art history'? That's truly sad.
    [*3] Everything —art, science, medicine, technology ... — has a history. But you actually believe that because of that there can't be any current practitioners. So you believe, according to you, that there are no current physicians. Again, sad.
    [*4] Only if you can grasp the distinction between teaching religion and teaching about religion, which you claim you cannot do.

Academic wrote: »
    [*1] You seem not to know what the word 'irony' means.
    [*2] You've never heard of 'art history'? That's truly sad.
    [*3] Everything —art, science, medicine, technology ... — has a history. But you actually believe that because of that there can't be any current practitioners. So you believe, according to you, that there are no current physicians. Again, sad.
    [*4] Only if you can grasp the distinction between teaching religion and teaching about religion, which you claim you cannot do.

Poor attempt.
    2/10

Poor attempt.
    2/10

What a typically meaningless response. Sorry kid, but you've been hoist on your own petard.

I do believe this is checkmate.

Yeah its not like there are researchers in trinity and ucd etc doing research into actual diseases who went through the irish school system...

Well, I can guarantee you that the effects on the vast majority of those researchers who went through the Irish system of having to spend time on religion is inconsequential.

Their second level education was more likely being hindered by having eejits in the class slowing down the teacher. The effects of those eejits would only have been more pronounced had extra classes been devoted to Maths/English/Irish/etc.

The Nordie and Brit students only do a couple of subjects for their A levels. Therefore they cover a few more topics. It gives them a minuscule advantage if they then go to study in Ireland. And that advantage disappears within a couple of months. Second vs third level if very different. Feel free to ask anyone who attended a proper university studying a serious topic....what you might learn in a term in second level can be contained in a single lecture at third level.

If everyone's classes change uniformly then it's not going to change your relative performance in the class. Exams are graded on a curve. So the person at the top of the class when you do 3 hours a week of maths is still going to be up there when everyone is doing 6 hours a week. And the person at the bottom is still going to be at the bottom. They will each do better in an absolute sense relative to the 3 hour a week case but the university is still going to set it's level at the top X% of students in that subject.

• Advertisement

Academic wrote: »
    What a typically meaningless response. Sorry kid, but you've been hoist on your own petard.

I do believe this is checkmate.

Ah sure ignorance is bliss. I'm glad that you can be happy :)

Logic isn't a strong-point for a lot of people. It's ok. I'm not trying to make you feel bad.

I think that I'll take a break from this thread for a while. The thread is like trying to play squash against a wall made out of sponge

I think that I'll take a break from this thread for a while.

Mind the door on your way out, kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have always tried to keep an open mind. In my opinion, an all seeing god, everything from nothing and spontaneous life all require an equal amount of faith.

I choose the path of Christianity, as it most in line with how I'd like to live my life.

Nope that is not what an atheist is. Some atheists believe the universe came from nothing but most would say we don't know and may figure it out. To put in an answer before we know doesn't make sense.

There is no faith involved in atheism what so ever.

Faith is a belief without evidence and they are not equal in possibility. It doesn't matter to the faithful as they don't require any evidence. It is foolish to say they are as valid as each other because some of them clearly aren't true and are just stories. Garden of Eden simply isn't true nor is Noah.

As for following Christianity, highly likely you really don't nor know what you are following. Probably choosing which bit to follow ignoring some while being ignorant of parts. Highly doubt you class thinking a deed is anywhere near as close to doing an action of the deed.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    [...]

There is no faith involved in atheism what so ever.

Faith is a belief without evidence.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    They most certainly were not just as much to blame, but they did have a role to play.
    The fault lies primarily with the church though, and I dislike attempts to deflect this. Yes there were those families who sent their pregnant daughters away unfortunately - and there were also those families who were poor and powerless and the local priest organised taking children of their hands (because the church run institution would of course get money for their keep).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sam Kade wrote: »
    They are similar to vegans that don't eat meat but they can't fcuking stop talking about it.

No shortage of people who eat dead animals who can't stop going on about it.

Posting pictures to social media of the dead animal they're eating.

Going on about the dead animal they ate the other day but always using a different phrase to describe the corpse.

Advertisement