Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheists.. pee me off

Options
  • 24-08-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

What is the deal with atheists campaigning for their beliefs and lack of.

Surely if you dont believe in something you just chill out shut up and go by your daily business.

They threat atheism like their new own religion, wanting to squash anything in their sight or their children sight which resembles anyone elses beliefs.

Is it just them thinking they are superior to everyone else and know everything?

I am no holy joe, but these guys pee me off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Thank God I'm an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll chill out once we finally separate church and state.

I couldn't care less what people believe, as long as it doesn't impact me. Currently it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm not a vegan!!!

Athiests don't believe in a god or gods, that's it.

It becomes problematic when you have to pretend you do believe in order to get your kid into a school, or when you have laws preventing you from saying unflattering things, or indeed when your clergy operate with impunity and as a result get away with decades or more of rampant child abuse. That's a bit bothersome, and athiests would like the reverential acceptance of the do as I say and I'll do what I like to be history as that mentality a little wearing in 2017. That kind of thing gets into your space, as it becomes a theme in the society you live in. That's what bothers athiests generally.

I agree that believers should be free to practise and believe anything they want, but it shouldn't affect anyone else. That's the big issue and that's why atheists are probably more peed off than you, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anyone forcing their opinions or beliefs down your throat are morons, be that atheists, theists, or any other label. It's not atheism or theism that's the problem, its people and their own insecurities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When religion and its God-bothering followers can bog off out of our lives, the laws of the land and the uteruses of the women of Ireland then we'll talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're talking about atheists in the USA, separation of church and state is in their Bill of Rights (1st Amendment), so there are potential legal consequences to mixing them up ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

bnt wrote: »
    If you're talking about atheists in the USA, separation of church and state is in their Bill of Rights (1st Amendment), so there are potential legal consequences to mixing them up ...

Unless it's on their money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Surely if you dont believe in something you just chill out shut up and go by your daily business.
    Well, I don't try to get a kid into a local school daily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

That should be the same for Jesus freaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The Catholic Church still has a large say in how our country is run, which it shouldn't seeing as we are a secular state.

They receive a lot of state funding be it from priests automatically getting college chaplain jobs, Catholc charirites receiving large amounts of funding from the state with little accountability or transparency as to how it's spent or indeed the Catholic Church exemption from tax.

Aside from receiving state funds they have a lot of power at local and national level, priests are on a lot of school boards and decide on which teachers should get positions. Then there's the whole baptism requirement to enrol in a school.

They use their influence to affect government decisions, two recent examples being the 8th amendment and the national maternity hospital scandal.

And this is before any mention of the abuse it's respnsible for.

Do Atheists beliefs, of lack of, impinge your life in any meaningful way? No, come back to me when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

In my opinion, people who use the phrase "holy Joe" are very holy !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Atheists do not have religious beliefs. They simply do not believe any of the 200+ documented "gods" are real.

Religion does enough damage as it is. It's great that there is balance to the nonsense/control of organised religion. Atheists tend to be more progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I honestly couldn't care less what people do or don't believe in - to each his own as they say.

What does bother me is this idea some of the more militant atheists have that their lack of belief somehow makes them superior to those of us that do believe in god and who assume being religious means you are homophobic, against having children outside marriage, believe we are all going to hell for our sins and condone child abuse.

Why feel the need to put others down and mock them because they don't share your beliefs and ideas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Atheists do not have beliefs. They simply do not believe any of the 200+ documented "gods" are real.

Religion does enough damage as it is. It's great that there is balance to the nonsense/control of organised religion. Atheists tend to be more progressive.

They can believe in science, and human charity and world peace and such things. All it means is that they don't have a religious belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't have a problem with people wanting nothing to do with religion and not wanting it impacting their lives, that's fair. What bothers me is how naieve people can be thinking that the end of religion would resolve or reduce the human instinct for power, corruption, greed and conflict...

The problem is always people, not the tool they use to justify their actions. All they will do is find another excuse, asides from religion, to believe what they want and use it to justify whatever cause they are forcing people to follow.

Its why nothing changes or changes happen so slowly. Rabble rousers know that change is needed, but instead of focusing on the underlying issue, they pick the easiest low hanging fruit to push optical change . In 100 years time we will look as backwards as the things people did 100 years ago. The hubris of each generation thinking its superior to the generation before them is as consistent as the human species can be self destructive . .

Oh and Atheists are no problem to me, its just that ars%holes exist in all walks of life and there happens to be some who happen to be atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

They threat atheism like their new own religion, wanting to squash anything in their sight or their children sight which resembles anyone elses beliefs.

Is it just them thinking they are superior to everyone else and know everything?

What the Fudge!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Are you annoyed that someone, who doesn't believe the same as you, is annoyed because they don't believe the same thing as someone else? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You should pray to God to get rid of them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Catholic Church still has a large say in how our country is run, which it shouldn't seeing as we are a secular state.

They receive a lot of state funding be it from priests automatically getting college chaplain jobs, Catholc charirites receiving large amounts of funding from the state with little accountability or transparency as to how it's spent or indeed the Catholic Church exemption from tax.

Aside from receiving state funds they have a lot of power at local and national level, priests are on a lot of school boards and decide on which teachers should get positions. Then there's the whole baptism requirement to enrol in a school.

They use their influence to affect government decisions, two recent examples being the 8th amendment and the national maternity hospital scandal.

And this is before any mention of the abuse it's respnsible for.

Do Atheists beliefs, of lack of, impinge your life in any meaningful way? No, come back to me when they do.

This is my issue with the whole situation the poster sincerely believes all of the above most though not all of it is nonsense and they offer no links to back it up either.

What catholic charities get funding with no accountability? for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A large majority of people couldn't care less about religion of any sort except for cultural events like weddings funerals and so on. Bouncy castle Catholics are annoying but so what its their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

What the Fudge!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Are you annoyed that someone, who doesn't believe the same as you, is annoyed because they don't believe the same thing as someone else? :confused::confused::confused:

This seems to be the case with those who get upset with atheists expressing their views. The anti-atheists want a monopoly on the public expression of opinion and want atheists to keep their mouths shut. It's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Academic wrote: »
    This seems to be the with those who get upset with atheists expressing their views. The anti-atheists want a monopoly on the public expression of opinion and want atheists to keep their mouths shut. It's weird.

Is it fear of the unknown? Some people simply need something to justify/explain their existence on Earth. In the past, they simply made it up and others followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

When religion and its God-bothering followers can bog off out of our lives, the laws of the land and the uteruses of the women of Ireland then we'll talk.

You made that up didn't ya??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

danganabu wrote: »
    You made that up didn't ya??

uterus : uteri
    life : lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You could say the exact same for Catholics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

OP, it sounds like you're upset with anti-theists rather than atheists (i.e. those who are not content with not believing in a god themselves, it's important that you don't either). It's very frustrating for atheists to be confused with those arseholes, in the same way I guess that not all christians are klansmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Banjo wrote: »
    OP, it sounds like you're upset with anti-theists rather than atheists (i.e. those who are not content with not believing in a god themselves, it's important that you don't either). It's very frustrating for atheists to be confused with those arseholes, in the same way I guess that not all christians are klansmen.

Its an easy mistake really. Anti-theists are just as bad as God Botherers. Both the same side of the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The thing that gets me about those that complain about atheist being open about their lack of belief is that they give out about atheists 'ramming their beliefs down others' throats', but I've never had an atheist knock on my door and proselytise, atheist newspapers don't get put in my letterbox and neither do envelopes from atheist organisations looking for money, atheists aren't on the national broadcaster at noon and 6pm saying 'There're no gods' for a full minute, I don't believe I've ever seen someone standing on Henry St. in Dublin yelling about atheism, atheists don't go into schools and tell children they'll burn in an atheist hell if they don't believe in the 'right' thing, atheists don't sign people up to atheism without their consent.

So, you want to moan about people 'forcing their beliefs' on others, OP? I've had people trying to shove Catholicism down my throat since the day I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

kylith wrote: »
    The thing that gets me about those that complain about atheist being open about their lack of belief is that they give out about atheists 'ramming their beliefs down others' throats', but I've never had an atheist knock on my door and proselytise [...]

Indeed. As far as I can tell, the thing anti-atheists complain about has never actually happened. They're attacking a straw man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

What have atheists brought Ireland: mostly a debate on secularism.

What have religious dogmatists brought Ireland: shame and self loathing, Magdalene laundries, institutional abuse, forced adoptions, no contraception for decades, no divorce for decades, rampant sectarianism ... the list is endless!

Advertisement