Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I love a good retrospective, especially when it's for something I remember quite vividly and in a particular light when growing up. This was a game I followed throughout development as a kid, read about with wide eyes in the pages of TOTAL! and I'm pretty sure watched on Bad Influence at the time. I eventually got to play it thanks to a rental from Xtra-Vision and, well **** me, it was awful.

The Fall of Rise of the Robots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

gizmo wrote: »
    I love a good retrospective, especially when it's for something I remember quite vividly and in a particular light when growing up. This was a game I followed throughout development as a kid, read about with wide eyes in the pages of TOTAL! and I'm pretty sure watched on Bad Influence at the time. I eventually got to play it thanks to a rental from Xtra-Vision and, well **** me, it was awful.

There's a game I haven't heard about in a LONG time. It was a bad game, though I kinda enjoyed it. Can't read article due to Work Network restrictions.

Loved the cover art on the box.

rise_of_the_robots_special_edition2%2B%25281%2529.jpgsnes_rise_of_the_robots_p_rmby0e.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gizmo wrote: »

I always loved the look of that game and was similar to yourself in that I followed it for ages before actually getting to play it and of course it was ****.

There's a game I haven't heard about in a LONG time. It was a bad game, though I kinda enjoyed it. Can't read article due to Work Network restrictions.

Loved the cover art on the box.
    The cover art on the SNES box haunted me for months when I was trying to rent it. It was second only to Lethal Enforcers in terms of games that were almost permanently checked out. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I guess I was still quite cynical as a kid as when I saw Rise of the Robots I wasn't convinced and thought it had stinker written all over it. I was impressed by the cutscenes but thought the game looked like absolute garbage. It was so flat and the animation was jerky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Playing GTA: The Lost and Damned at the moment. It's excellent.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I guess I was still quite cynical as a kid as when I saw Rise of the Robots I wasn't convinced and thought it had stinker written all over it. I was impressed by the cutscenes but thought the game looked like absolute garbage. It was so flat and the animation was jerky.

We had it on the mega drive, in two player mode only player 2 could use other robots which was kind of crap. We thought it looked amazing at the time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I remember almost buying Rise of the Robots when I was younger - back in the days when I used to just buy games based on box art rather than attempt to find out if the game was actually any good.

Thankfully, my uncle in the know warned me off buying it and I got Eternal Champions again. That was actually a really solid beat 'em up, sort of hybrid between Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

Rise of the Robots was an absolute turd. Good write up posted above. Mad to believe that some publications gave it 90% - how embarrassing. I would say at best it deserved a 3 or 4 out of 10, and all of those points awarded solely for it being visually impressive for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

One of the prison architect games, it's ****ing terrible :pac:

How dare you. Prison Architect is class. I spent hours refining my prison to try and stop people digging their way out.

ZiabR wrote: »
    How dare you. Prison Architect is class. I spent hours refining my prison to try and stop people digging their way out.

I just couldn't get into it tbh!

• Advertisement

One of the prison architect games, it's ****ing terrible :pac:

And no I didn't buy RE4 after complaining about it yesterday for the 8th time.
    ZiabR wrote: »
    I just couldn't get into it tbh!

I think you mean The Escapists 2?

Prison Architect is far better.

I think you mean The Escapists 2?

Prison Architect is far better.

thinking-face-google.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beneath a steel sky sequel announced

https://youtu.be/mg8Lk9Sinm8

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's not a sentence i ever expected to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Playing Slay the Spire on the Microsoft PC gamepass thing at the moment.

It's good but it's also bonkers that the game normally costs 25 quid. I'd feel ripped off if I'd paid that much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Playing Slay the Spire on the Microsoft PC gamepass thing at the moment.

It's good but it's also bonkers that the game normally costs 25 quid. I'd feel ripped off if I'd paid that much for it.

I feel like I've ripped them off. Have had a few hundred hours out of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I played it for an hour or so last night. I'm enjoying it but I really couldn't see myself playing a hundred hours, let alone a few hundred. Does it change much in later levels?

Pitchford again, oh dear :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Jim Sterling acting entirely reasonable is how I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AVGN hits 3 million subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Crazy stuff. World has gone mad. With all that has happened with EA backed games in recent years, they still don't get it. Its shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jim Sterling acting entirely reasonable is how I see it.

Interesting that that guy when reading Jim Sterling's response, chose to omit the word "homophobic". Seems like an important word given the context of the argument. I mean, he read out the other guy's much longer posts almost word for word, yet left out the word "homophobic" in Sterling's one-line response even though it's a key part of what he's saying.

Also, disagreeing with some of Youtube's policies regarding fair use and the ever-changing TOS which limits content-creators doesn't mean you also have to support certain content creators who engage in homophobic harassment.

That guy also says he used to watch all Sterling's videos but won't any more due to this. Also says he didn't know Jim was LGBTQ. Yeah right. That guy is at best being purposely disingenuous.

Would a rose by another name still give a 0.0001% of unlocking Lionel Messi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »
    That guy also says he used to watch all Sterling's videos but won't any more due to this. Also says he didn't know Jim was LGBTQ. Yeah right. That guy is at best being purposely disingenuous.

I didn't know anything about Jim Sterling's sexuality based on the videos I've seen of his posted up here. Is there any reason why I should have?

Penn wrote: »
    Interesting that that guy when reading Jim Sterling's response, chose to omit the word "homophobic". Seems like an important word given the context of the argument. I mean, he read out the other guy's much longer posts almost word for word, yet left out the word "homophobic" in Sterling's one-line response even though it's a key part of what he's saying.

Also, disagreeing with some of Youtube's policies regarding fair use and the ever-changing TOS which limits content-creators doesn't mean you also have to support certain content creators who engage in homophobic harassment.

He also left out the latter part of the "lispy queer" insult Jim gave as an example of behaviour that he deemed indefensible.

Hambly's, as you rather accurately suggest, disingenuous stance on this isn't the least bit surprising not only due to prior form on the subject but also since it was his own similarly ****ty behaviour that saw Wizards of the Coast ban him from competitive Magic The Gathering a few years ago, an event which unfortunately led to him shifting his grift attention primarily to the videogame space.

I didn't know anything about Jim Sterling's sexuality based on the videos I've seen of his posted up here. Is there any reason why I should have?

He mentions it or at least alludes to it in his intros and outros of the Jimquisition videos every so often. If you only watch a few of his videos here and there you might not pick up on it, but the guy says "I watch basically every video Jim puts out". I think anyone who would have done that for say 6-12 months would be fairly sure he's at best not straight.

• Advertisement

The Quartering, being disingenuous and selectively picking out quotes and facts to push their agenda? Well I never...

Advertisement