Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Winnie the pooh coming out of copyright triggered countless nightmares

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The team behind the Final Fantasy 9 fan remake, the Memoria project released their supposed final video today after 3 years in the making. It's just a a video of the first act in the story but have to admit, this is exactly how I imagined a PSX Final Fantasy remaster to behave rather than the Final Fantasy 7 one that came out. There's a lot of charm in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Might be a dumb question but here goes. I have Spider-Man the 2018 video game for PS4 on disc and a PS5 I have inserted the disc and loaded in the game both from disc and online.

PlayStation shows me a purchase option to upgrade to the PS5 version for €10

How does that work? Is it a completely separate digital only version of the game or do I need to put in the PS4 disc to play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

You get a full digital download for ps5 game but need to have the disk in to play it. That how it works for ff7 remake and other games at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure why I draw a line between something like this & say the many (many) memes involving Thomas the Tank Engine: but the fact that the predominant instinct with Winnie the Pooh since it became Public Domain appears to be making it scary or corrupted, is a bit depressing to me. This looks a tad more interesting than Blood & Honey but still: I'd love to see something more wholesome done with the now-liberated property.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Things in videogames that baffle me #1034:

The fact there are people that like the Assassin's Creed games so much that not only have they played all the games but they are also invested in the lore of the series.

Things in videogames that baffle me #1035:

People want Days Gone 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

I want Days Gone 2. I liked it, it wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Things in videogames that baffle me #1: people who enjoy AC7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Admittedly the later games completely lost the run of themselves (and I think even Ubisoft gave up trying) but the original run of games' stories were fascinating (particularly how it intertwined with history) as was the original Desmond story (until they threw in the towel). People liked the story and got invested in it. Not really sure why that's baffling.

My only complaint (story-wise, pre Odyssey) was that in hindsight, it seemed as if the writers never really plotted a conclusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think "lore" in general has become this weird point of deep obsession in pop culture fandom; it's not just the assassin's creed franchise it's everything really. Canon junkies who seem to love it when myth is more labyrinthine than normal, pour themselves into what's seen as a puzzlebox. they're the fanbase most suffocating of IPs now IMO but that's a separate rant altogether lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Things in videogames that baffle me #1035: Nobody will play AC7 despite me being obnoxious about how good a game it is.

Actually it's more a thing that upsets me :(

I think that there are varying levels of engagement from the gamer who enjoys the lore and the backstory and is curious up to 'canon-junkies' who as you say detrimentally overwhelm the IP. Nothing wrong or baffling though about gamers buying into the story outside of the 20+ hours that they're fed in the games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Another thing too is there are many Ace Combat games, and only one D**s G**e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is pretty bleak:

It's a bit unclear what exactly is 'AI-assisted' - Cyan Worlds says there were actual voice performances that were then changed using VR, but the article suggests the actors aren't actually credited? And then a lot of things that should've been written or drawn by humans - including in-game portraits that backers paid substantial amounts of money for - are 'AI-assisted' instead. Again, some ambiguity around exactly how much 'work' the AI did.

AI is a messy topic, and there are lots of ethical concerns around the current models as they're often based on 'copying' existing art. I do see there may be some limited use for the tech in the future, especially for smaller studios that may not have the typical resources. But man, this definitely seems to go much further than is reasonable: the idea that much of the game's writing and world-building is just generated 'content' rather than something a human being put effort into is a grim thought (not to mention the concerns around the labour impacts).

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is the lore in Assassin’s Creed not just….….actual history? 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exactly. Story & lore etc should always be an additive; something which can enhance your playthrough and experience of the game depending on how much you wish to engage with it. It'll never match TV/film etc, but it can still all be enjoyable.

I did enjoy the lore and overall story to the Assassin's Creed games and did get pretty invested in it. The story had some great moments, and any game that makes you feel completely justified in wanting to kill the Pope is at the very least quite interesting. That said, the lore and overall story got completely Ubisofted and they stretched it out to the point that it broke.

So the lore in the AC games really hasn't been relevant in quite some time. And while I'm on the subject, because Ubisoft are f*cking cowards who can't just have a female protagonist, they've tied themselves in knots trying to explain "The canon character is female... but the Animus is confused and so you can be male if you want and the trailer will have the male version of the character and the cover art for the game will be the male version.... but the female version is the canon one, honestly...."

That was an alternate history DLC if I remember right. Didn't actually happen in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Friday 13th Game, due to the absolute mess of Friday 13th licensing court case, will no longer be for sale from December 31st, 2023. You can still play it up to at least end of 2024. Price dropping to a fiver. It's part of PS Plus Extra, not sure if it's still on Gamepass, but I reinstalled it a couple of days ago as I'm looking forward to their new game in August, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and it's still a lot of fun. Randoms can be very weird though either helping Jason kill the counsellors or all ganging up to try kill Jason, neither of which is a fun way to play the game.

Let me know if anyone fancies a game some night, the multiplayer gameplay is brilliant in a private lobby.

• Advertisement

Please don't ruin my grand sweeping generalisation about a series I've not much experience with with your lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And you’re trying to tell me that wasn’t historically accurate?

Yeah and Rodrigo Borgia didn’t have magic powers….okay pal. 🙄

Christ almighty, its exhausting isn't it? I really don't care if my character is a male or female. And its beyond irritating that I feel like I've to search "which is the better protagonist" before I really get into it. They're so terrified of offending.

The first few games 'lore' were how the fictional characters existed in the shadows throughout actual history so it was always interesting to see how fact and fiction intertwined, it wasn't just plain history. I loved Roman history so seeing historical characters and locations appear through the Ezio trilogy was really interesting and fun to play through.

Exactly. They were getting called out for never having a main female protagonist after so many games, but didn't want to be accused of going woke or annoying crybabies by only having a female playable character, so twisted themselves in knots to try play to both sides. Promising that the female character was the canon one, but always predominantly using the male version in advertising/trailers for game sales. Then forcing in bullsh*t in-game explanations as to why the Animus, which can let people experience the lives of their ancestors throughout history, suddenly has a sh*tfit and can't remember if your ancestor was even a man or woman.

Which is a shame because Kassandra was by far the better of the two in Odyssey and everyone should have just been forced to play as her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Truth telling contest obviously he can not tell a lie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is why piracy will never disappear :D The stupidity of a game disappearing because of licencing would almost make you think devs would consider open-sourcing their game

Been trying Street Fighter 6 with the Classic controls. Yeah, there's no way I can control it that way. Some of the moves are fine, but I got stuck in the tutorial trying to do the move with the Double quarter forward command. Just not happening, and I know even if by some off chance I did do it, I'd never be able to pull it off consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Baby Steps, releasing 2024. This looks hilarious!

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Playstation controllers are terrible and Capcom fighting games really highlight how awful they are. Special moves really should be consistent and very easy to pull off but it's not possible with a poor controller. It's not going to get any easier unless you get a better gamepad honestly or try the modern controls.

It's unfortunate we have had such awful d-pads for so long.

• Advertisement

Yeah I tried a bit with the modern controls and it felt much better. I believe the trade off is some attacks won't be as powerful and you won't be able to link as many combos, but trying to hit some of those moves with the classic controls I'm bound to just get my head kicked in, even against the CPU (don't really plan on playing online).

Not a game I'm going to bother getting a gamepad for anyway. In fact I might go and give Diablo 4 a try instead considering the huge hype about it at the minute. Whoopi Goldberg was apparently even mad she can't play it on her Mac.

Advertisement