Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I didn't think she would be into games but then I remember she is a big trekkie and closet nerd.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anyone is allowed to make a 3D version of QWOP / Getting Over It, it's Bennett Foddy, the creator of QWOP / Getting Over It :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First Whoopi Goldberg.

Now Nicholas Cage outed as a massive videogame nerd

Also amazing taste in videogames music. Bomberman Hero has a techno soundtrack that absolutely slaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That a glow up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And yet, based on the first game, there’s a very high chance the remake will feel a lot more limited and constricted than the original ever did.

I know I'd rather play the original than that first remake. Way more fun.

The Precinct, coming soon to PS, PC & Xbox, looks absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Supraland Six Inches Under. What a game. I finished it a few days ago but I'm still doing end game content and just about an hour ago I found a new area that was hard to get to and you would never even know it was there if you stopped playing after credits rolled. And like I do in some games I have to find all hidden items like chests, bones and trophies(not PS trophies).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps confirming what's already somewhat obvious, albeit from an American perspective: approx. half of gamers are women, with the slight majority of Switch owners being female.

It's kinda nonsense, just from a basic commercial perspective, that it's still seen as a minor controversy (exaggerated toxic shítshow that is Twitter) if AAA games feature women in prominent roles or avatars.

• Advertisement

Citizen Sleeper was one of the best games of 2022, so delighted to see a sequel on the way:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think the conversation was about the industry, not its product. There are great female characters, Jessie from Control and Selene from Returnal being among the greatest, and then there are the not-so-great ones which were clearly created to appease "modern" audiences like that one from Forspoken. And now imagine DOOM without Doomslayer and Days Gone without Deacon & Boozer.

I've found that female's taking up videogames as a hobby has dramatically shot up in recent years thanks in no small part to the DS which introduced a lot of them to videogames. It really helped normalised the hobby. However the hobby still has a toxicity issue which means I suspect a vast number of girls would be very secretive about their hobby or wouldn't play online as they'd be singled out for abuse or targeted by incels.

These figures do also show that there's a major issue with representation as well. I really didn't think representation was such a big deal until recently. I recommended Cobra Kai to a Venezuelan co-worker and I honestly didn't expect her to be so enthusiastic and excited after starting it because one of the main characters was latino. There's way too many cackhanded attempts at female representation in games where it's just a kick ass female to fill in for a male avatar like the recent tomb raider reboots, or else just a male gaze fill in. Hell, even for the first mass effect they never even bothered to mo-cap a woman for the female protagonist leading to some really awkward (but funny) animations. It really shouldn't be that difficult with a good writer on board. Returnal has been mentioned as a good example and I'd also put forward Bayonetta for the more ridiculous side with a female protagonist that just totally owns and revels in her own femininity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There are stats that back that up: in the original (kotaku) article that shared the results of those stats, a large percentage of female gamers intentionally hide their gender when gaming - simply because, as you say, they're singled out and bullied. Clearly women play video-games but the ásshole quotient in the culture still reins supreme. Christ I stopped playing multiplayer because what value has a hobby where you gotta consciously filter out the díckheads screaming down a mic at you?

My own teenage daughter and her friends are all playing, but it's pretty much all multiplayer/social media games like Fortnite, Valorant and Genishin Impact. No AAA single player games, they don't have the time and patience for that.

Public online gaming, like any public online space, was like that since forever. And arseholes aren't even the biggest problem, there's much more sinister kind of persons out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A lot of children would have grown up with their parents playing games too and having consoles in the house already, so it would make sense that a lot of women nowadays are gamers compared to previous generations.

It's finally happened and it's all been started by Ubisoft.

May I present to you, PS360 piss filter nostalgia:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That doesn't look like the piss filter I remember, but there was a phase back then where games and movies had a weird blue-ish or greenish hue.

Can't we already do that using the drivers / Nvidia Experience options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I got the first game (Supraland) free on EPIC, and loved it. SIU was an instant buy when I found out about it. However I'm still stuck on the last few portions of the after Credits game. Fantastic games.

Nate

Pacific Drive looks so interesting. Garage as homebase, build up, customise and repair your car before hitting the road. No idea how the road gameplay will keep you engaged, if it's just looking for parts to survive or if story focused but definitely on my list.

Why the **** did nobody tell me there's a gorgeous looking Moomin game coming out with sigur ros music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Why the **** is this the first I'm hearing of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not ashamed to say I don't understand the question. Moomon, sigur ros... Off on a Google I go!

Edit: Finnish Icelandic band and Finnish cartoon. I think there's your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Icelandic band actually

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes they are such good games. I only found out about the first over in the Xbox Gamepass a couple of years ago after someone mentioned it. Tbh I didn't know what it was about at first, just little dudes running around but man it sucks you in. And yes SIU is just as good. Missing the god mode jump though of the first, well unless you can still get that but I haven't found it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That moomin game looks purty

Not been officially announced but that awesome looking Atlus RPG Metaphor from the Persona team that was shown at the Xbox showcase is more than likely coming to Playstation as well.

• Advertisement

Microsoft seem to have some strange 48-hour announcement exclusivity with Atlus, where they announce the games at an Xbox event and then just announce two days later they’re actually coming to everything else as well. Happened with the Persona rereleases too AFAIK.

Advertisement