Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aaaahh I tried a couple of them recently and couldn't get into them. Might just go back to Xcom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You'll be able to play Gears Tactics when you get your Xbox.

Post edited by Mr Crispy on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo Direct tomorrow.

Probably Pikmin 4 but loads of rumours about a SNES 2D HD remake from square, chrono trigger or FF6, a new complete version of SMT5 (which will be multiformat, this is quite likely as it was in the geforce now leak, leaked today by a chinese source but might not be tomorrow) and of course Metroid Prime 4 which I think will get it's own direct if it's coming.

Probably will be Pikmin 4 and chrono trigger Mii fighter costumes for smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Can't imagine it being FF6 remake with the pixel remaster of that game on 4 months old. And Chrono trigger is one of those games that really can't be improved upon, so I'd be wary on that remake. Bring on a new Mario platformer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Give the people what they want, a Wii 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They really did miss a trick not calling the first one Wi and the next one Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

He can also play all the Halo games which are really good too. And the Halo War games even though I never played them myself. They are real time strategy games keeping in line with the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I'll die on the hill defending the Wii as an great console. And we all laughed at the name only for it to outsell the 360 and PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Pointer control on the Wii is still the fastest and most precise aiming mechanism on consoles. Also, Super Mario Galaxy. The best game ever, one one disk, with zero patches. The number of people who had Wiis but never played or even heard of SMG is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

*looks at my Wii and my copy of Escape from Bug Island*

*Feels shame*

That game is such a laugh with friends. The storyline is such a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Do people still argue the Wii was a bad console? Even if the shovelware puts you off, which it shouldn't, the value proposition of having the Wii and Gamecube libraries available to you off-the-bat puts it on the docket as an all-timer. Granted, not if you got one of those later models that yanked out the GCN support.

There's so much good stuff on the Wii. It's got an incredibly rich library and most of it is pretty obscure and weird which means it's a fantastic library to go back and explore.

There's people fighting online fighting over the worth of mich worse consoles like the N64, original Xbox and PS4 😜, and the Wii just trounces them all but people dismiss it because hurr hurr carnival games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I admit the Wii had some good games, but better than a PS4? Tongue firmly in cheek there I'd imagine! It was a grand console. Great at parties. Galaxy was amazing. But Nintendo pricing put me off a lot of it, and yes, the shovelware was horrendous and actually put me off searching, just like the easy plat games are putting me off the PS Store! People who buy these games just to get an easy plat should have their profiles deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Wii was an awful console. Terrible controller, Under powered, gimmicky, over priced, terrible UI and UX.

There isn't a single game I can think of that's better for being on the Wii. The Wii U was much better all round but just came too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Square Enix SNES game you say...

Super Mario RPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Where the Wii excelled was in casual gamers, I worked for Nintendo when the Wii was out and used to set up booths in game stores and shopping centres and the amount of blatant non-gamers who'd give Wii sports tennis or boxing a go was incredible. Yeah it wasn't really competing with the hardcore groups against the PS3 or X360 but if you wanted a group of people playing games or if you wanted something to entertain someone who never got into gaming, you'd get an hour at least out of the Wii.

Sure it was rough around the edges but it was revolutionary for what it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The Wii had a fantastic library of great games. It Really did. it's biggest problem was that they were burried under mountains of shovelwear $h!t€ and heavily downgraded versions of PS360 games.

• Advertisement

I actually would rate the Wii higher than the PS4 but mostly because there's way more unique experiences on the Wii whereas the PS4 library can mostly be played on the Xbox or pc. Take that out of the equation and the PS4 has the better library but it's kind of a very.... Bland console.

However it was very much the second console to own next to a 360 and/or a PS3. But if you didn't have one you were missing out on some of the best games of that generation.

I would put the wii and it's library way above other highly regarded consoles like the vita, GameCube, original Xbox, N64, master system off the top of my head. There's so much weird and wonderful stuff on it along with a few games like Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, last story, sin and punishment 2, DKC returns, that were best in class and the PS360 had absolutely nothing that came close to them in their their genre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Super Mario Galaxy was IMO a definitive case in favour of ‘better on Wii’. The little flick of the Wiimote to launch from one planetoid to another… *chef’s kiss*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Forget about the Super Mario RPG, it’s not happening.

Everyone knows that Waluigi deserves that honour instead:

AI art really is a godsend. We could only have dreamt such things a few years ago.

SMG: run and jump effortlessly in 3d space, with all kinds of weird gravity tricks and still it was effortless.

AND you could point, shoot and collect stuff with the pointer at the same time !

I think this might be the reason SMG2 is not on Switch ... because you need to control Yoshi as well, and gyro controls are not enough for that quick precision.

Also, the soundtrack on SMG is incredible. Even the optional levels have a great soundtrack.

I still consider it the best Mario game.

Looking forward to hopefully a 2D Mario reveal today. They'd be nuts not to, given the success of the movie ... and there is a new 2D Sonic game out at the end of the year that looks pretty great. So, just like the 90s 😁

The 2D Mario games are also massive sellers for Nintendo. We all laughed when Reggie said NSMB Wii would outsell COD:MW2 and in the end it did. They've been exceptional platformers as well, if you discount the first phoned in DS NSMB game. Although I really, really hope they do something more inventive with the visuals than the bland NSMB aesthetic.

I could not handle another NSMB game.

I love the Super Mario World art style, and Super Mario Maker 2, had 16:9 levels with that style. Also the 2.5D versions of Super Mario 3D World were pretty nice looking in Mario Maker.

A new game would have to have graphics and gameplay way way beyond what people can make in Mario maker ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given how strong Nostalgic the base is, and the 16 bit Mario identity remains, I'm somewhat surprised Nintendo hasn't released an unabashed modern spin on that style (with some unique modern gameplay twist or idea). You'd imagine it'd sell like cakes wot are hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having played Okami on the Wii, I don't think it would've been as enjoyable on the PS2.

Wii also had its own version of Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands. So if you weren't aware of that and are looking for a new PoP game to play, there you go.

Think at the time the Wii actually had one of the games with the most violence and the game with the most swearing in MadWorld and HotD Overkill respectively. Or I remember seeing reports about that.

The PAL version of madworld was unfortunately ruined by being 50hz only.

As for hotd overkill it was incredibly sweaty and I believe subsequent release have toned down and bleeped out the swears.

Also has the best version of no more heroes. Just not the same if you don't have to **** off the Wiimote to recharge your sword.

• Advertisement

39/40 for FF16 from Famitsu

Then again it's from 'we take bribes for reviews and have no qualms admitting that' Famitsu.

Advertisement