Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It must have been set to the easiest dip switch. Any arcade I was in the arsehole arcade operator had the games set to the highest difficulty and if you weren't good at the game you weren't cheesing any fight and probably were stopped by the second fight you got (and god help you if one of them was guile as the AI cheated so much since the AI didn't have to charge any of his attacks).

It did seem ridiculously easy. Definitely wasn't that easy back in the day. But another possibility is that I'm just too damn good in my old(er) age 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd be mostly Playstation alright, but it was the 360 I had SF4 on if I remember right. I was alternating trying to use the D-pad and analogue stick but could never get proper consistency with either. Only SF I played before that was SF2 on Megadrive.

But as a filthy casual, yeah the control systems for Tekken and MK for me are far easier to pick up and learn quickly than SF. And like I said, I find the controls for special moves in the last few MK games (and Injustice) to be pretty intuitive and well-designed. I definitely don't deny SF is likely the best fighter of them all, but for the level I tend to play at I tend to enjoy MK and Tekken (well, earlier Tekken games and later MK games).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Street Fighter 6 create a fighter and story mode is interesting. I don't bother with fighting games as like said above, it's mostly competitive online focused and you need to know bolloxing framesets and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The single player story modes from the Mortal Kombat and Injustice games are really great. The only downside to them is they make you play as one character for about 4 matches, then another character, then another. It's the way the story is designed and works well, but means you're just getting into the flow as one character before being shunted to the next. But considering they're fighting games, the story modes are pretty good. Even the Injustice ones might be worth a quick play if you're interested enough, easier to get into and understand than all the characters and references for Mortal Kombat games, and you're not fighting against someone who does know framesets and all that craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yuck, the 360 pad is the only thing worse than the Sony pad for fighters. I'd have been pretty decent at Capcom style fighters and found the 360 pad near unplayable, playstation pad I'd drop moves regularly but it was horrible on 360. Got one of the fightpads which were reviewed as being as good as the saturn gamepad. They were a travesty. Totally unusable as well so settled for a fightstick which took a long time to get used to. At least SF4 was great and the 360 had some really great fighters to use the fight stick on.

Just thinking, it could well have been a rainbow edition cabinet. It was an unlicensed rom hack with absolutely ludicrous special moves. The dragon punch shot out twin fireballs on top of the punch and you could teleport and swap characters at will. Absolute unplayable nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is widely seen as a Fable tease, but can I just say I can't watch this video without thinking what an utter nightmare it would be to clean up the glitter seen in this video. Glitter everywhere for **** months on end.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pretty sure that's the Fable music playing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Pretty much all the replies to the tweet that I read just said the same thing about the glitter. No mention of what the game might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten Playground games were attached to the upcoming Fable!

I was gonna take a stab in the dark and suggest that it be developed by Rare. I would have looked pretty dumb 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Injustice is the only fighting game I've played and I only played that for the story.

Played one match online and quickly realised; "I don't belong here."

I remember the ranked matchmaking in SF4 worked very well but on the lesser populated games and when a game matures you need to git gud or git out.

Jesus **** Christ. I just cleared Mafia on classic difficulty and the made man trophy never popped. I was going to continue on to get the plat but it would mean playing through the whole game on classic again including the race. I googled it and fitted for other people as well. I didn't change the difficulty once. I've never deleted a game so fast.

Ah well, still a cracking game and a brilliant ending. Got a coffee for The Crew Motorfest beta so gonna give that a spin next.

oh man, I'd have poured bleach on the hard drive too, to get rid of it for sure 😒

And as for the other thing, you can't talk about that man 😉🤐

I'm pretty sure the faq days you can say you are part of the beta but not discuss the game. Oh wait, knock on my door and a Ubi van parked outside.... uh oh.....

Etrian odyssey collection getting some very good reviews and write ups.

Unsurprisingly really as they could well be the best RPGs of the last 20 years and I don't say that lightly. Give them a shot if you are interested in them. I had no interest in first person dungeon crawlers but these games made me really enjoy the genre. The only issue is that these games are so much better than any other dungeon crawler that every thing else can't match them.

Wait, there's a burrito van outside the job!

I hope it's not Ubi in disguise 😆

Jakey goes over why FromSoftware's game design is game changing. Fantastic watch.

That man took way too long a break from making videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jakey is the best. Class music too.

Dog bless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had almost forgotten, but they've finally liberated We Love Katamari from the PS2 and are making it widely available on modern platforms tomorrow. IMO one of the greatest, most joyous video games of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know. I remember playing a tiny bit of that game on the 360 but never liked it. Or it never clicked so I just abandoned it.

The original creator left namco after the second game and everything after including the 360 game was a soulless cash in.

Honestly katamari dramacy and even more this sequel we love katamari is one of the most joyously brilliant experiences you can have from videogames. I still go back to play them and love introducing them to people and watching as their expression goes from 'this looks like ass' to 'im in love with this game'.

So gave We Love Katamari a go on PC. Another stellar port other than booting in window on the first boot.

I'll have no one argue with me that this game doesn't have the greatest soundtrack of all time.

Personal fav from the race track levels. The chorus 1 minute in sparks joy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was thinking Capcom are powering along with the new Resident Evil games, Streetfighter ... and cross platform too.

Can we please have a proper Ghosts and Goblins next gen game and not that last GnG game that surfaced.

A BOTW kinda GnG or maybe even a Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze kinda GnG.

GnG resurrection was highly regarded by the fans though? I only played a bit of it and it reminded me too much of the bad PSP games but apparently I should give it another try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Think it's supposed to be very difficult/unfair. Also the art style just looks flat, cheap and off to me.

Advertisement