Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Isn't extreme difficulty / unfairness basically the defining characteristic of GnG?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As a big fan of the GnG games, there's actually nothing unfair about Ghouls n' Ghosts and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. Might seem that way as they are fairly brutal in terms of difficulty but they can be learned. The PSP game though was just not fun because of the randomness.

As for resurrection, I kind of want to go back to it. I watched famed speed runner The Mexican Runner speed run the game at a GDQ and even he died a huge number of times (the guy is a god at old school NES games). I kind of found it a bit unfair as well unlike the originals. I'll have to give it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe Retro Studios would do a proper tribute to GNG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Playing Humanity on PS5. Such a fun game. Wasn't sold on it from trailers, but it's a great little puzzle game, pretty much a pared down and less punishing version of Lemmings (doesn't matter how many of the f*ckers die, you only really need the few golden guys in each level).

Just started the Green Orb sections. Really enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I finally got a chance (ie didn’t have the time to boot up Zelda) to try the full version of Humanity last night, after playing the demo previously. It’s a delight to just see in motion, with these glorious waves of colourful people flying through the air in beautiful patterns. Puzzles are great fun too. Quite the opposite of Zelda in that it feels like it’s best consumed in nice short sessions.

Also a rare game when cosmetic items are a joy to unlock. ‘What if the humans had goofy little hats?’ - I mean, absolutely!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a quick go to re-familiarize myself with the game. The game defaults to the Legend difficulty but this is absolute unbalanced nonsense. The game is more balanced to the next difficulty level down and is a much less annoying game.

Saying that it has all the issues that annoyed me about the PSP game. The game floods the screen with randomly spawning enemies. I had awful trouble getting through the first stage. Some set pieces are also just plain mean. There's a real lack of understanding about the mechanics that made the original games great. Sure these had randomly spawning enemies but they also let you kill them as they spawned on to the screen and while their damage boxes aren't active. In this the enemies are invincible until they spawn in. It leads to plenty of unavoidable hits. Even at that there's just some flat out unfair bits when they place enemies in areas just to make them annoying.

I actually don't mind the art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Played a bit more tonight with the young lad & he was getting very into it.

It's even better in VR as you are more "in the space" if that makes sense? If you have a chance to play it on PSVR2

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

I’m getting to the end of Ghostwire, just mopping up some achievements. The two main characters are very likeable, and the graphics are awesome. I found it quite repetitive though, and hard to forge any connection with the location, as many of the areas looked similar to me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm dipping in and out because of the repetitiveness, but still liking it when I do play it. I'm getting used to the place now, but I still have a good bit of the map to unlock so maybe I'm not yet seeing the similarites as much. I will finish it!

But I wasn't feeling it last night, so I went and downloaded Watch_Dogs 1 for a spin, having recently tried and disliked Legion. It's like chalk and cheese. For a 2014 PS3 game, which did get a bit of an overhaul for PS4, it still looks really good, but it trumps 2 and Legion for gameplay. The biggest example I can give is the driving. Every vehicle in 1 feels different, feels real, has realistic acceleration and handling depending on the model. It's fun to drive, unlike Legion where everything felt floaty with no connection to the ground, and they all had 14+ gears. Can't understand how they got the driving so wrong in Legion. The first game was peak Watch_Dogs, and it was all downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Forever Skies looks class. Earth is in ruin, build and pilot your airship and venture below the toxic skies to look for a cure for a mystery illness. Serious subnautica vibes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know I liked them all and they were all different. Brilliant games all of them. The drone and RC car in 2 was great and then the spider bot in Legion and the large drone you could travel on in Legion also was pretty cool. I used to scope out a place on one and then send in the spider bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was out bounty hunting in Red Dead Online when this happened:

I don't get the hate for the Microsoft store. We have 2 gaming PC's and 2 Xboxes in the house and never have any issues sharing games across all of them. We can all play game pass games on PC and Xbox and all at the same time. Likewise MS store bought PC games.

Went to play a game on Steam and got the message "this library is not available to share". Was shocked that you can't play any games at the same time from a shared library. I now have to consider buying Miles Morales twice if I want to be able to play it uninterrupted. It's maddening.

I'll definitely be purchasing on the MS store first wherever possible. I know there are grumblings about the search functionality, but I honestly havew never had a problem searching up and finding games. I think a lot of it is just fanboi anti MS hate. Good luck to them, in the meantime my family all get to share a library and all play across devices at the same time.

You had me at Subnautica and yes I totally agree I'm getting the Subnautica vibes. Great find, looking forward to this one.

Sorry, the Microsoft store and Xbox app are very poor compared to the other major launchers. They’re just about functional, but the way they handle social elements, login, updates, screenshot integration etc are really weak. The Xbox login that pops up every time you play a game, for example, is just unnecessary when you’ve already launched the game from the dedicated launcher. Even something like turning on a frame rate counter is an unnecessary faff compared to Steam. I’ve encountered endless glitches and oddness with the Xbox app over the years.

Again, not unusable by any stretch, and I still use it for GamePass. But the ease and fluidity of Steam is several steps beyond what Microsoft is offering despite the Xbox stuff seemingly being integrated at system level.

Its just an initial point of purchase. I just download the game, add it to playnite (for sunshine/Moonlight streaming) and add a shortcut to my start menu. At that point forward, where I purchased the game is forgotten except as I said when we want to play games at the same time.

Not having to buy duplicates of games in the same household wins any argument hands down for me. With Steam it's not just that you can't play the same game, you can't play ANY games at the same time.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

If the game sharing works well for you and your family, great - I can’t argue with that :) But for many PC users, the Xbox app is an objectively buggier, more restrictive app with more intrusive DRM, a much more limited feature set, clunky & slow user interface, and - in my experience - various baffling glitches.

For what it’s worth, I have issues with Steam too, especially its offline mode on the Steam Deck which I find rather messy. I also think it’s preposterous that someone would choose to not play a game they wanted to play just because it’s not on Steam - that’s a sentiment I’ve heard expressed before and one I find hard to comprehend. But the Xbox app has a bad rap in the PC gaming scene for pretty fair reasons, and it’s not just fanboy bias :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Microsoft store and xbox main issue for me is that it's too integrated into windows. Other stores keep everything together in their launcher.

You can't uninstall in the store/app you've to go to the main windows uninstall page in settings/apps & features.

You can't choose where each game get's installed from the store, it's again going to the main settings/apps & features and either change the default which effects everything or move individual items to different drives.

If the game didn't update itself or you're trying to get an update quickly on update day it's not in the Xbox app it's back in the store.

There are some games that don't allow you to choose an installation location, I'm guessing it's related to when they were added to the store because it's been fixed for a while now, you can choose a default install location and have it prompt each time.

I'm not here trying to big up the xbox app or MS store. I'm just saying Steam Library Share is wholly inadequate to the point it's a real stretch to call it a library share.

Personally I'd recommend Playnite as a library manager/launcher and just buy games where the deals are or in my case where they allow proper game sharing.

But again the problem is you opened this argument by suggesting criticisms of the MS Store / Xbox app are “fanboi anti MS hate”. If the library sharing features work for you, great - personally it’s something I’ve never used in my life on any device, whereas in my experience the Xbox app has real stability and usability issues relative to other launchers. Nor do I think Steam is perfect - it’s also just a bloody launcher at the end of the day! Not everything is a console war :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre game is looking class, this is from a recent tech test.

Frictional Game's The Bunker is getting great reviews.

Stupidly good few weeks for games.

It's not a case of working for me, it's about having something that works for everybody. I take your criticism on board. Fanboyism is a bit extreme. That comment was to reflect the lack of criticism of Steam but I could have just said that instead of launching into the fanboy argument. Sorry 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The latest episode of Cold Take, hits the nail on the head for me regarding online MP. I agree with everything, especially where these games are not presenting a game, they're expecting you to make your own fun.

Finished Humanity. What an absolute gem of a game. Some real headscratcher puzzles in it (though more often than not the answer is blindingly obvious once you figure it out and usually takes longer due to over-thinking), but always just a fun, engaging time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm playing it with the 5 year old. I'm here scratching my head and he has it all figured out. Walks it through backwards in his head then tells me how to lay it out. left here, right there, jump there etc. I'm left looking at him like wtf. It's the early stages but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just started it tonight and loving it so far. Done the prologue and ghalf way through next chapter. It's thoughtful but forgiving, great little fun puzzler

Overthinking is definitely the biggest challenge you face. There were two puzzles that had me completely stumped because I had one idea in my head and was sure that's what I supposed to do, and just couldn't get it to work.

Getting back into Psych-Odyssey (the epic Psychonauts 2 development documentary) after only watching the first two episodes when it was first released. It really is an exceptional documentary about the everyday reality of game development - the ups, the downs, the mundane, the spectacle. More than anything it really helps underline the teamwork nature of game development. It's easy to fall into the 'auteur' trap when talking about game development, especially when you have someone as influential as Tim Schafer involved as director. But really it's great seeing how a game comes together based on the input of a lot of different people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Remember Ring of Pain? Well, here's the latest game from the same developer. And it's quite... the thing.

Advertisement