Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone got strong opinions on Wireless Headsets (for PC)? I am trying to keep my life wireless at the moment :) Loving my MX Master Keyboard and mouse at the moment :)

Anyway after looking around PCMag, Toms Hardware, IGN, and a few other sites I compiled these 5 options as the most oft cited in "best of" lists. I am erring towards the 9X.

I do not game for very long periods so amazing battery life is not bad, but not high priority.

Want to use the Mic on Twitch streaming a bit. So Mic should be passably good (I intend later to invest in a separate music quality mic).

So really just good, reliable sound for both music and gaming is the priority here.

https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2305416&cmp=1902460&cmp=2414852&cmp=2336539&cmp=2425311&active=3

This is the same mic that I use, you can connect a wired headset directly into the back of the Mic, and you can balance the volume levels for your stream using the build in mixer.

https://www.adverts.ie/microphones/elgato-wave-1-all-accessories/23771347

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Actually I just read about the pairing issue somewhere else too. So that has moved down my list a lot.

Erring more towards the 670 and the mobius now.

https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2414852&cmp=2336539&cmp=2266629&active=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I use a Sony wh-1000xm3 and an Antlion wireless modmic.

Both wireless and top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I suppose I should not be TOO picky either. I am no audiophile :) I have been playing GTAV and Mass Effect Legendary using my work allocated Jabra 930 PRO which is a one ear office head set.... and to be honest the sound is not TOO bad if a bit too low.

So if something like that is passable..... a decent gaming headset is probably going to be a revelation to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If people are looking at bluetooth headphones or headsets make sure they've aptX Low Latency and that whatever your connecting to either console/PC directly or through some bluetooth transmitter has it too, audiophile or regular joe if you're seeing something on screen but only hearing it after the fact it'll really ruin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thinking about a Series S to get Gamepass and then thinking ah, i wouldn't be able to play Fight Night Champion or Skate 3 as there's no disk. Then seeing both are on Gamepass....

Could i use the streaming gamepass xcloud thing on my absolute shyte pc? Do i just need good internet to avoid any lag? My plan is to see what the series s sales on black Friday are like before going the console route but if i could stream to my laptop, that would be ideal. I've read about it working on chromecast and Android boxes but lag is supposed to be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Thinking about a Series S to get Gamepass and then thinking ah, i wouldn't be able to play Fight Night Champion or Skate 3 as there's no disk. Then seeing both are on Gamepass....

Could i use the streaming gamepass xcloud thing on my absolute shyte pc? Do i just need good internet to avoid any lag? My plan is to see what the series s sales on black Friday are like before going the console route but if i could stream to my laptop, that would be ideal. I've read about it working on chromecast and Android boxes but lag is supposed to be bad.

Try it on your phone. Sign up for a month of game pass ultimate and Connect your PS5 controller via blue tooth and give it a blast. It might be enough to scratch that itch.

Laptop should be okay. But it is harder to judge. You can play on your chrome browser so technically it should be like watching Netflix. But you would still need it to be capable of streaming video content.

I think you can get your first month for 1euro at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Doesn't XCloud only have some of the Gamepass library?
    And would it have the PC Gamepass library or the XBox Gamepass library as some games appear in one but not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its €1 for 3 months right now. Gamestop are selling used Series S' for €250.

I bought a Series S, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much for not having a Series X at the moment as the big Series X games haven't started coming yet. It obviously ain't a future proof system but as a second system its fine.

Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 4, Grounded, Master Chief Collection and Gears Tactics all run at 60fps on the Series S. Indie games work fine too and are the real stars of Gamepass as whoever curates them knows what they're doing. The storage ain't much on the Series S so you can't stack up on games but I've not had a problem with it yet as I just let stuff install in the background or when I turn it off and the Halo MCC lets you choose which campaigns/multiplayer you install individually(thank god). You do miss a disc drive though as it literally is just a gamepass machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sound lads. Gaming on my phone would drive me mad and eat my battery at the same time and the chance that streaming to my laptop would be laggy would be a risky investment i think. Plus, as Castor said, not a full library and i just checked, xcloud doesn't have fight night or skate so my interest has dwindled. The Series S looking like the best option for me as i only want gamepass and new Indies so would suit me grand. Will wait for end of year though. If it's already 250 2nd hand, might it get it cheaper by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ You might be playing Forza Horizon 5 by the end of the year then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,452 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sound lads. Gaming on my phone would drive me mad and eat my battery at the same time and the chance that streaming to my laptop would be laggy would be a risky investment i think. Plus, as Castor said, not a full library and i just checked, xcloud doesn't have fight night or skate so my interest has dwindled. The Series S looking like the best option for me as i only want gamepass and new Indies so would suit me grand. Will wait for end of year though. If it's already 250 2nd hand, might it get it cheaper by then.

I was going to get a Series S, but talked myself out of it, as I felt the Series X would be worth it for the extra money.

Then I was going to buy a Series X, but talked myself out of it, as I felt I probably couldn't justify spending the money on it when I'd still be playing more on the PS5.

So yeah, my new gaming PC should be here in a week or so, because I'm a f*cking idiot.

I also hear the Series S/X are good emulation machines as well if you want to go that route

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Series S also gives you access to ninja gaiden black, arguably the finest action game ever made and much better than the sigma version they are touting at the moment. You can also get the best version of ninja gaiden 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s just a few too many compromises on the Series S for me, even though I think it’s a smart product from MS’ perspective and definitely has an audience. The performance gulf seems pretty large - especially if you’re playing on a 4K TV. More importantly though I have a tonne of old Xbox and 360 games on disc that’d be going to waste, some of which I’d definitely be keen to revisit.

Curious how well it’s performing. The fact that it’s readily available when both the Series X and PS5 are sold out suggests it’s not flying off the shelves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think a lot of games not having the full visual feature set of the series X games is a bad look. Makes it more like fancy one X.

I'd say that's just teething issues that hopefully won't continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Penn wrote: »
    I was going to get a Series S, but talked myself out of it, as I felt the Series X would be worth it for the extra money.

Then I was going to buy a Series X, but talked myself out of it, as I felt I probably couldn't justify spending the money on it when I'd still be playing more on the PS5.

So yeah, my new gaming PC should be here in a week or so, because I'm a f*cking idiot.

I mean, a PC is an Xbox but way better so a good decision was made lol

Except you can't play the afore-mentioned Ninja Gaiden Black, you can only play a smelly port of Sigma. So actually, maybe send it back for a Series S instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I mean, a PC is an Xbox but way better so a good decision was made lol

Id rather have a xbox series x then a mid range gaming pc myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,452 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Greyfox wrote: »
    Id rather have a xbox series x then a mid range gaming pc myself.

It was more so because I realised my PC is 8 years old (though installed an ssd in it last year so it's no slouch) but felt I may as well just upgrade it, future-proof myself in that regard. I might still pick up a series s/x later in the year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm holding out for a Series X, I just can't justify spending 3/5's of the price on an inferior machine. And while I could upgrade the PC, meh, too much effort and too much fecking about to get the game to play perfectly on your own system. Console wins: Insert/load game, play.

• Advertisement

Pretty handy to get games working well on PC. I find the user experience on PC a lot better on PC especially now I'm booting off NVME's now. Not tried the new console UI's but have heard some bad things about the PS5.

The real issue with PC now is getting a graphics card. It's just not worth especially with the console being well specced this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I honestly havent had issues with my pc in like a decade now, back in the 90's and early 2000's, SOME games might have required tinkering to get going, but you dont get that anymore, havent had to do any of that kinda crap in well over a decade, heck id say its more close to two decades now..

If i had to do all my gaming on a console id have lost my mind long ago, having to constantly install/uninstall games to fit them on to play. Tedious as heck..

My current rig is like 5 years old and probably still more powerful than a ps5..

I am itching to get a new rig but its proving difficult to get the ball rolling with all the graphics card shortages :(

I'm also not massively tech savy, ive picked up bits over the years but have never made my own rig/pc. I've had some friends generously help me with builds over the years, but im hoping to go solo on the next build. It honestly doesnt look too difficult after you watch someone else do it..

Saying that, with the gfx card shortages im at the end of my tether waiting and might just order a rig off a site. Where did you order from Mr Penn?

Also, i still cant get a bloody PS5 either, wtf is with all the shortages these days? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

nix wrote: »
    Also, i still cant get a bloody PS5 either, wtf is with all the shortages these days? :P

Its strange to see even gamestop only able to say keep checking the website.. ive never seen them not try to get a deposit before. When to people think getting a console will get much easier or is that how long is a piece of string territory?

So what new releases are you looking forward to playing this year? For me: Forza Horizon 5 and Far Cry 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Greyfox wrote: »
    Its strange to see even gamestop only able to say keep checking the website.. ive never seen them not try to get a deposit before. When to people think getting a console will get much easier or is that how long is a piece of string territory?

Yeah, the girl in store last week, when I asked if I could trade the Pro in against a Series X and I don't care how long it takes to be available, she said she could put it on my card so it could be used online when they're available. Previously, I would have had to fight to get out of there without doing it there and then for in store. Just a sign of how uncertain the market is due to the semiconductor shortage and GameStop maybe learning from their PS5 pre-order deposit debacle.

Re: console, I'm able to build a PC, have built one for myself and 3 for the brother and 2 of his kids (gamer and animated design student). And I have heard it's a lot more straight forward now, but what was getting to me back when my rig was new and able to run a good few games on high (ultra was always over budget), I was always noticing something that I could maybe improve with a bit of tinkering, and discovered I was nearly spending more time on trying to get the game to look right than playing it, and I felt it took too much away, whereas with console there's nothing you can do so you just get on with it. Could just be me though.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    So what new releases are you looking forward to playing this year? For me: Forza Horizon 5 and Far Cry 6.

For me:

Kena: Bridge of Spirits
    Riders Republic (with SSX Tricky trepidation)
    Battlefield 2042
    Stray
    Dying Light 2 (hopefully)
    Sifu
    Horizon: Forbidden West (with a hopeful release this year)

I'm also keeping an eye on Guardians of the Galaxy, but will need something good to convince me to get it, even though they're separate to the Avengers crowd, I don't trust Square with the licence yet. Oh, and Hades, but that's not new, it's just coming to the PS finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

July - Orcs Must Die 3
    August - 12 Minutes, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Aliens Fireteam
    September - Deathloop, Sable, Severed Steel
    October - Back 4 Blood, Stray
    TBC - Atomic Heart, Tunic, Warhammer 40K Darktide, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Aiko's Choice, Sifu, Dying Light 2

All review/feedback dependent of course. And if I get my Switch back from my nephew you can add another shedload of games to that.

Oh, and Hades, but that's not new, it's just coming to the PS finally!

And Xbox. Which leads me to whether I'll put it on my Xbox or PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And Xbox. Which leads me to whether I'll put it on my Xbox or PlayStation.

You can buy it on PlayStation or just play it on Game Pass.

Metroid Dread is probably the only one I'll pick up at release.
    No More Heroes 3 will be keeping an eye on

• Advertisement
Advertisement