Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So just saw an article while scrolling on bookface, and it was about the new EA multiplayer 3v3 dodgeball game Knockout City. I saw it had a trial so I said I'd give it a whirl, expecting very little because it's EA + MP = MT's galore! Some reviews are saying it's a bit of craic. Went to download it on the PS5 and the PS4 version is free if you have EA sub. It's also on Gamepass Ultimate I believe.

Anyone tried it? Just downloaded now so will report back.

Edit: Seems alright. Could take off, and I reckon would be right good with 2 mates working together. Loads of MT's and very little choice at the beginning, but you appear to unlock stuff as you level up so mightn't be too bad. It costs €4.50 for 500 "Holobucks", and that will get you a new head. Had 1 game of 3v3, 3 rounds. We lost 2-1 but was fun. Announcer will get annoying so hopefully he can be turned off. And it's got the typical Fortnite attempt cash in going. Characters all look smarmy and full of themselves. You can't create your own anything, everything has to be unlocked. There's no aiming, you auto aim depending on the ball type. And you either catch, avoid or deflect. You can also charge other people and there's a good 6-level throw and catch system if you're able for it (gets faster/stronger) each time.

I dunno, I don't trust EA to not make a balls of this (pun intended). But it definitely has potential. I think the art style will turn a good few off it, and you just know they're aiming at the young, streamer audience. Like Destruction All Stars, it's new but not extremely exciting and immediately ruined by the in your face presence of MT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”

― Malcolm X

It's really scary when you see a media driven agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gimli2112 wrote: »
    “The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”

― Malcolm X

It's really scary when you see a media driven agenda

What's this in relation to?

What's this in relation to?

I think it's a comment on why more people aren't playing Ace Combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

lol I meant to post that in a completely different thread. I was just in the other thread thinking "why the mods delete that?"
    I rushed to delete it from here but alas was too late. Apologies for the confusion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Any recommendations for hidden gem metroidvanias? I'm jones'ing for a fix but the only suggestions I'm getting via searches are either hits I've played (like Hollow Knight) or ones I bailed on (Bloodstained, a janky mess IMO).

Answering my own post, if only to share what I think might be a hidden gem, might I present to the class Yoku's Island Express. Am always a sucker for a good genre mashup and this is metroidvania-meets-pinball, wrapped in an aesthetic easily described as "Charming". There's even a demo available (on Switch) and been having a blast, for anyone looking for simple pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a new presentation on Unreal Engine 5 starting shortly. Might be of interest to some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

lol the monolith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tried Dread Hunger last night.

I'm really liking these new wave of among us/werewolf style of multiplayer games. Much more in depth mission structure and options for sabotage and an excellent atmosphere really sells the game.

I heard First Class Trouble is similar but playing the Terror as a multiplayer game is way too tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

viraltemperature.com_.jpg

Might I suggest trying Chivalry 2 Beta out now on PC, Xbox and Playstation.

Its awesome...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The latest GMTK cuts to the nub over why I'd love to play Crusader Kings, but absolutely never will in their current state; they are nearly impenetrable in terms of accessibility. Sorry ancapailldorcha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some of the files related to the original (but long-cancelled) sequel to STALKER have found their way online, including art work, XRAY Engine 2.0 source code, and an early build of the game (from Nintendo, uh, Smash).

https://twitter.com/nintennosmasher/status/1399828558323847168?s=20

It's all moot now of course with a new STALKER 2 on the way anyway (although from an entirely different team on a different engine). Incidentally, GSC apparently confirmed the leak as legit on their Discord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played a bit of Inkle’s Overboard tonight - damn it’s good! Like their other games (80 Days, Heaven’s Vault) it’s a text based game with tonnes of branching story paths. This one’s delightfully focused though: you play a woman on a cruise ship who wakes up after murdering her husband the previous night. You spend the time you have left before the ship reaches shore trying to cover up your tracks. The joy is in how many ways the story can spiral off - this truly is properly branching interactive storytelling, with each conversation potentially sending you off on a different path.

Only 15-20 mins for a playthrough, but then the real fun begins as you figure out how to do things differently. Inkle is a hell of a studio, so hope this one does well for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Quoi? What an off-putting premise.
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

pixelburp wrote: »
    The latest GMTK cuts to the nub over why I'd love to play Crusader Kings, but absolutely never will in their current state; they are nearly impenetrable in terms of accessibility. Sorry ancapailldorcha :p

I tried to play CK2 a few years ago and just bounced right off it, recently I decided to try CK3 as it is on Game Pass and it is 10000000% more accessible than CK2. I would give it a go, it isn't impenetrable at all imo, it has a half decent tutorial and even in the normal flow of the game it gives you suggestions for what you should do in the short term and then also suggests 'grand strategy' goals as well that you can aim towards. It's a totally different experience to CK2.

I've only played about 20 hours but feel I have a reasonable handle on it now, playing as Ireland and aiming towards taking over Scotland/England/Wales. And it's really, really good. I had the exact same view as you before but I really wish I'd jumped into CK3 at launch. Victoria 3 is coming to Game Pass as well so will definitely be getting into that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm back playing the first Watch Dogs game again playing Aiden Pearce. I'm looking forward to playing him in Watch Dogs Legion dlc soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I no longer buy games at launch because I'm fupped if I'm spending €120 to get all the content and to be a beta tester. No idea what they're at in Ubisoft, but it's making me download and install a 33 GB patch for a 75 GB game that I literally just downloaded. Must be too busy covering up years of sexual harassment at a senior management level to bother with the basics.

555089.png

But seriously - you shouldn't need to download a massive patch for a 2.5-year-old game when you've just downloaded it from the storefront. This isn't like we're talking about a day 1 patch for a brand new release - which whilst problematic, is at least understandable to me (and I'm someone with 10 years experience in the software industry). AC:Odyssy has been out for however long and was last patched whenever and they haven't updated the installer to include the patched content? This is bad and they should feel bad also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Did you get the Gold or Ultimate version of the game by any chance? If so, I imagine download will be for the additional content those versions come with which, to be fair, wouldn't make sense to include in the download for the base version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

On some platforms/stores they've to pay to get each change certified. So they'd have doubled their cost for each patch as they've a patch an an updated version to certify each time.

Not if this is Uplay then there's no excuse as they make the rules, it'd save them a little money actually doing so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Jebus, what happened to Assassins Creed combat? It's terrible in this compared to the last one I played (Syndicate when it was free on Epic, but I played through Origins too). The controls are so unresponsive and the player character doesn't seem to be able to block anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Always found AC combat terrible. Too floaty, the weapons lack any weight or heft to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I love Odyssey's combat, especially on nightmare difficulty. I have a hybrid warrior/assassin build that shreds enemies in 1 or 2 hits. Before they patched the game and made damage additive rather than multiplicative it was hilarious. The parry window is very small and the game punishes pad mashing. I'm confident you'll get used to it. Gets even more fun when you acquire more abilities and upgrades. Wasn't a fan of Syndicate's combat despite loving the game overall. Animations were goofy looking.

I found Valhalla's combat to be much less fun than Odyssey's, couldn't tell you exact what, but there's something off about it.

In fact, Odyssey is just a better game all round, in my opinion. Valhalla reintroduced a whole load of friction that had been polished out of the last two games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Nextlander: A new podcast and streaming project from Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, Alex Navarro.
    https://twitter.com/nextlander/status/1401940490816208904?s=19

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good to see they're straight back into it, and that the main podcast isn't hidden behind a Patreon paywall. Think I'll probably sign up to it either way. Will be weird seeing them go up against GiantBomb's E3 coverage, especially if they both do a talk-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Signed up at the $10 level, will try it for a month at least. Seems they just didn't want to work for the man/a corporation anymore.

For fans of city builders: this was an itch.io game I played a few times and was super fun & chill. Was picked up by Devolver (cos of course they would), the pixel art replaced with something snazzier. A reverse builder, in effect, in that you must try to rejuvenate the wasteland and restore it to a natural green:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

This has probably been talked to death now but where are people buying games post-brexit? Was thinking of picking up Persona 5 strikers in the next week or two and amazon seems to still be the best price despite the estimated import fees it shows?

Advertisement