Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bishi Bashi Special

Won't be a whole lot on it. Moderately successful in Europe and was a bit of a critical darling but didn't get a US release and therefore might as well have never happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mentioned the Sable trailer as a standout from E3 from what I've seen. Was happy to see a demo drop today and woowww this game has shot up my must play list when it releases in September.

It's pitched somewhere between Journey and the Team Ico games, but with this calm, mysterious vibe all of its own. It might just be the most gorgeous game I've played this year: a brilliant take on the sort of comic book visual style you see from the likes of Moebius and has this lovely twitchy movement that makes it feel even more like an absolutely stunning moving comic. There's the very lovely music, the relaxed storytelling, the neat movement set, the incredible hoverbikes, the curious, grand map to explore... gives off a lot of good impressions in a 45 min session, so I'm very excited to see what the full game has to offer.

The demo's on Steam and Xbox anyway, and really if it looks like your kind of game I'd recommend giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The demo's on Steam and Xbox anyway, and really if it looks like your kind of game I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Also going to be on game pass as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bishi Bashi Special

Won't be a whole lot on it. Moderately successful in Europe and was a bit of a critical darling but didn't get a US release and therefore might as well have never happened.

This is it! I remember a guy used to go around renting games out of the back of his car around my area when I was a kid and I got that for a week and played it endlessly with a friend.

Hindsight is 20/20 because that looks awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    This is it! I remember a guy used to go around renting games out of the back of his car around my area when I was a kid and I got that for a week and played it endlessly with a friend.

Hindsight is 20/20 because that looks awful.

It's not awful. It's an absolute blast with a friend. One of the best multiplayer games of the era.

It reviewed really well and I can remember a lot of the journalists at the time pushing it as a hidden gem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Markitron wrote: »
    A time limit in a game will instantly make me drop it, which is exactly what happened with XCOM 2. Shame as I loved the first.

The ones with a time/turn limit are usually littered with nodes that you can blow up to increase the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Mentioned the Sable trailer as a standout from E3 from what I've seen. Was happy to see a trailer drop today and woowww this game has shot up my must play list when it releases in September.

It's pitched somewhere between Journey and the Team Ico games, but with this calm, mysterious vibe all of its own. It might just be the most gorgeous game I've played this year: a brilliant take on the sort of comic book visual style you see from the likes of Moebius and has this lovely twitchy movement that makes it feel even more like an absolutely stunning moving comic. There's the very lovely music, the relaxed storytelling, the neat movement set, the incredible hoverbikes, the curious, grand map to explore... gives off a lot of good impressions in a 45 min session, so I'm very excited to see what the full game has to offer.

Woah, I've never heard of this game before but it looks incredible. Looks like the artwork of Moebius coming to life!

Is it coming to playstation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Woah, I've never heard of this game before but it looks incredible. Looks like the artwork of Moebius coming to life!

Is it coming to playstation?

Just PC, Mac and Xbox at the moment AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

What do folk make of the Abandoned/Silent Hill/Blue Box Games/Kojima story that's been floating around?
    I'd love for it to be Kojima up to his old tricks teasing a new Silent Hill but it's hard to know. At the very least it's a bit of entertainment after a pretty boring E3

Mentioned the Sable trailer as a standout from E3 from what I've seen. Was happy to see a demo drop today and woowww this game has shot up my must play list when it releases in September.

Also on the windows store. I played on Series X and wow it's stunning. The contrast between the vibrancy during the day and reduced colour palate at night is something.

The dialogue when interacting with NPC's is also unusual in that you get Sable's thoughts as well as the conversation.

Audio is lovely too.

As I said I played on a Series X but I found the frame rate to be an issue. I know the character is animated a certain way and that works really well but panning the camera the frame rates are definitely on the low side. How did you find it on PC Johnny? I might install it on my own now to see if there is any difference.

I'm usually reluctant to invest much or even play demo's of games I know I'll likely get but this one I think hit the sweet sport of showing you enough to know what you are getting into without giving too much away. Took me a little over an hour to get through it.

• Advertisement

As I said I played on a Series X but I found the frame rate to be an issue. I know the character is animated a certain way and that works really well but panning the camera the frame rates are definitely on the low side. How did you find it on PC Johnny? I might install it on my own now to see if there is any difference.

It was a very smooth locked 30 when I played through it, which I assumed was an intentional decision based on that very particular animation style. But they’ve updated it to 60 as of today in a patch - tried the first five mins out of curiosity and seems to run great there too.

It was a very smooth locked 30 when I played through it, which I assumed was an intentional decision based on that very particular animation style. But they’ve updated it to 60 as of today in a patch - tried the first five mins out of curiosity and seems to run great there too.

Was just coming back to post that I'd tried it on PC and it seemed to be locked to 30fps. So windows store version not patched yet.

Roll on Sept 23rd. really did tick the boxes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone else see Fallout London?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone else see Fallout London?

Not until you mentioned it. Looks decent.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just seen base.com only deliver to UK now. Shame, got some good bargains off them the last few years. I believe there's a new ruling re Brexit that companies exporting need to sort the tax at source from 1st July (similar to how Amazon do already), must not be worth their while doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not until you mentioned it. Looks decent.

It does look decent. Those fan made large mods can be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone who knows their indies and is bored

176 Indies

(Link instead of embedding because the image is big)

Tweet from artist
    https://twitter.com/MoskiDraws/status/1407090283687317507

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That is really cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't expect to recognise as many as I did; not sure what that says about me :D Certainly surprised to see what I would have considered unknowns, even by indie standards, like Gato Roboto or Not a Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I don't see anything for Papers Please or Obra Dinn. Can anyone spot anything there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

List of all games and their placements here
    https://sta.sh/014lizcit6wm

Papers Please is listed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

GMTK had its yearly Game Jam; with as usual, really interesting games, some more fully-featured than others. These james always both simultaneously inspire and depress me in equal measure. I've chipped away at an idea for the best part of a year, yet still can't prototype a core gameplay loop worth a damn. How these folk come up with these lovely little ideas, that make a neat wee game, amazes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Goddamn Xcom 2 ****ing rocks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Borderlands 3 cross play is now live on all platforms except Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Borderlands 3 cross play is now live on all platforms except Playstation.

Sonys xenophobia is really starting to annoy me. Could cost them a lot of sales down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sonys xenophobia is really starting to annoy me. Could cost them a lot of sales down the road

In all likely hood it'd go the other way which is why they're doing it, and why MS did it back in the day when they had the larger player base at the start of the 360/PS3 gen.

How many people are going to just bitch and then continue to play on PlayStation as that where their friends are.

What's the main advise people give parents when asking which console to buy their kids.

Which console do their friends have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Varik wrote: »

What's the main advise people give parents when asking which console to buy their kids.

Which console do their friends have?

I know, but wouldnt it be lovely (and to an extend, with the likes of the big guns fornite and Warzone, it already does) - to say 'it doesnt matter, everyone plays together'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Anyone got strong opinions on Wireless Headsets (for PC)? I am trying to keep my life wireless at the moment :) Loving my MX Master Keyboard and mouse at the moment :)

Anyway after looking around PCMag, Toms Hardware, IGN, and a few other sites I compiled these 5 options as the most oft cited in "best of" lists. I am erring towards the 9X.

I do not game for very long periods so amazing battery life is not bad, but not high priority.

Want to use the Mic on Twitch streaming a bit. So Mic should be passably good (I intend later to invest in a separate music quality mic).

So really just good, reliable sound for both music and gaming is the priority here.

https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2305416&cmp=1902460&cmp=2414852&cmp=2336539&cmp=2425311&active=3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone got strong opinions on Wireless Headsets (for PC)? I am trying to keep my life wireless at the moment :) Loving my MX Master Keyboard and mouse at the moment :)

Anyway after looking around PCMag, Toms Hardware, IGN, and a few other sites I compiled these 5 options as the most oft cited in "best of" lists. I am erring towards the 9X.

I do not game for very long periods so amazing battery life is not bad, but not high priority.

Want to use the Mic on Twitch streaming a bit. So Mic should be passably good (I intend later to invest in a separate music quality mic).

So really just good, reliable sound for both music and gaming is the priority here.

https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2305416&cmp=1902460&cmp=2414852&cmp=2336539&cmp=2425311&active=3

If you're going with the 9x for PC, you'll need to buy the seperate xbox wireless adapter dongle thing.

From my own experience, I found it to be hit and miss, it would lose pairing randomly and you'd end up having to reboot the whole pc to get it to re-pair. Also, you cant connect to pc via usb which is a pity.

I've since swapped out to a Hyper X Cloud headset (wired) and use the 9x solely on my xbox.

its a great headset from a sound quality point of view, and works flawlessly with xbox. PC on the other hand - its a mixed bag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement