Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Giant Bomb have announced some of their future plans following the recent departures, including various shows with Danny O'Dwyer, Dan Ryckert, Tamoor Hussain, Lucy James and Jeff Grubb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

megaten wrote: »
    This has probably been talked to death now but where are people buying games post-brexit? Was thinking of picking up Persona 5 strikers in the next week or two and amazon seems to still be the best price despite the estimated import fees it shows?

Haven't bought a physical game in years, but with amazon you can order from their European sites with zero hassle as well, so you can avoid any brexit related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This has probably been talked to death now but where are people buying games post-brexit? Was thinking of picking up Persona 5 strikers in the next week or two and amazon seems to still be the best price despite the estimated import fees it shows?

For new games, its generally Smyths for me. It's very hard anymore to find value from UK sites with import duties. Amazon are great in that they calculate the import fees but it generally brings the prices in line with Smyths.

When it comes to games that aren't new, Amazon are great as you'll get the full price up front. I used to swear by TheGameCollection but they just don't deliver outside the UK anymore and by the time you route it through Addresspal, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you see a good price on amazon.co.uk buy it there because the price you see there now is the price you'll pay. They calculate all the taxes and whatnot for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If you see a good price on amazon.co.uk buy it there because the price you see there now is the price you'll pay. They calculate all the taxes and whatnot for you.
    AT CHECKOUT.

They will show the price as per uk vat rate(20%) when browsing. Only when you checkout (with address etc.) will the correct price be displayed (23% vat rate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With the rumour of the xcom style marvel game to be revealed at E3, i decided to look up Xcom 2 which gets raved about. I like the sound of everything about it but I'm not into RTS. As Johnny Ultimate said recently though, it's not really an RTS and worth a go.

Since i have it free from PS Plus, gonna give it a lash. I hope i like it as it really does sound interesting with base building, squad building with deep customisation and tons of missions with repercussions. Not liking the sound of the intense difficulty though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    With the rumour of the xcom style marvel game to be revealed at E3, i decided to look up Xcom 2 which gets raved about. I like the sound of everything about it but I'm not into RTS. As Johnny Ultimate said recently though, it's not really an RTS and worth a go.

Since i have it free from PS Plus, gonna give it a lash. I hope i like it as it really does sound interesting with base building, squad building with deep customisation and tons of missions with repercussions. Not liking the sound of the intense difficulty though :)

I'd recommend playing the last 1 first. (Enemy Unknown) Still a fantastic game and 1 of the best strategy games available on console.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'd recommend playing the last 1 first. (Enemy Unknown) Still a fantastic game and 1 of the best strategy games available on console.

Only xcom 2 on PlayStation 4/5 and i have it free so gonna just go with that. Must look up a recap video for enemy unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Only xcom 2 on PlayStation 4/5 and i have it free so gonna just go with that. Must look up a recap video for enemy unknown.

Xcom2 is fantastic. Especially when you try Ironman and make a balls of a mission

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I loved Terror from the Deep on PS1, there was some bug in the game (mine anyway) that put you in a neverending loop around 75% in. I still played it and played it and played it. Only completed it on a computer years later.

The manual that game with it was about 100 pages long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I love xcom 2. Played it on PC, again on Switch, and each time I played the normal game through then started it again with the War of the Chosen DLC.

It has some annoyances but it is just so addictive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terror from the deep is a pain on pc. The difficulty in the first game is bugged so they upped the difficulty in terror and it's an utter nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

tbh the amount of times I hard reset a mission when things went wrong and sat through 5 minutes of loading screens to go again were immeasurable

you could save at various stages of a mission (another time consuming event) so step by step you'd get there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I love xcom 2. Played it on PC, again on Switch, and each time I played the normal game through then started it again with the War of the Chosen DLC.

It has some annoyances but it is just so addictive.

Absolutely love it. More games like this please.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Absolutely love it. More games like this please.

Mutant year zero , road to Eden. if you haven't played it, it is similar. But the out of combat bits you walk normally around the level.

Great game. I played it on switch, it looked like garbage and crashed about 200 times but I still really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm really liking the idea of Lemnis Gate - a turn based first person shooter! Has a smack of Frozen Synapse off it, which I put hundreds of hours into.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks really interesting. Wonder if it would get old after a while.

Xcom 2 is actually really great. Tutorial level had me very interested in the mechanics and then my first mission, boom, everyone dead and I'm playing on rookie :pac:. 2nd try, everyone dead again. 3rd try, ran out of turns and the objective blew up. I finally passed out on the 4th try, got there with my very last turn but got a 'flawless' grade as no one died. The very first mission on the lowest difficulty should not give you that kind of buzz but it did.

Your HQ research and tigress are a bit overwhelming as are some mechanics so i need to watch a few YouTube vids for tips. The overwatch mode where you press triangle and your guy will auto shoot an event if they cross their line of sight when you are no longer concealed, do you need to activate that everytime you think it's gonna happen or can you press triangle, take a few turns and it will auto happen then when an enemy runs in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Kiith wrote: »
    That looks really interesting. Wonder if it would get old after a while.

Yeah, that's my worry at the moment. Fortunately it's going to be cheap enough (in around the €15 mark, iirc) though, so might be worth taking a punt on if reactions to the beta are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Xcom 2 is actually really great. Tutorial level had me very interested in the mechanics and then my first mission, boom, everyone dead and I'm playing on rookie :pac:. 2nd try, everyone dead again. 3rd try, ran out of turns and the objective blew up. I finally passed out on the 4th try, got there with my very last turn but got a 'flawless' grade as no one died. The very first mission on the lowest difficulty should not give you that kind of buzz but it did.

Your HQ research and tigress are a bit overwhelming as are some mechanics so i need to watch a few YouTube vids for tips. The overwatch mode where you press triangle and your guy will auto shoot an event if they cross their line of sight when you are no longer concealed, do you need to activate that everytime you think it's gonna happen or can you press triangle, take a few turns and it will auto happen then when an enemy runs in front of you?

Overwatch needs to be activated every turn you want to use it. Definitely watch some YouTube vids as theirs a lot of mechanics to get the hang of. It's an excellent game and I'd suggest customising your squad to make it a little bit more personal. Losing someone to permadreath who you've put a lot of work into is hard to take but the game is better for it. It is buggy though so I wouldn't suggest playing ironman but at the same time try not to save scum.

• Advertisement

When you are moving try to move within the first area and get into cover for each character. Then do the second move. It might seem overly cautious but it gives you a chance to shoot if you get ambushed. I lost so many by sprinting as far as I could only to end up split up and isolated in an ambush.

The best thing to build is the guerilla tactics school and get the squad size increased. That one extra body on the battlefield can make a huge difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The time limits in most missions in xcom 2 mean you really have to choose between overwatch creeping and taking territory.

Overwatch creep was a little too effective in the first game even though it felt great.

Good stuff thanks lads. Yeah, have customised my squad after my friends, definitely adds in a personal touch with more on the line. Basically plays like a puzzle game with how you need to complete certain objectives in a certain number of moves, such a great feeling killing an enemy as it feels like if you miss or don't do enough damage, then there's a good chance you're toast on next turn.

I will be finished Mass Effect 3 in next couple of days and have a backlog of about 5 games to play next but this has definitely moved up the list. I only wanted to play the 1st mission once to see how it plays but i couldn't stop until i cleared it, definitely addictive as you said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The time limits in most missions in xcom 2 mean you really have to choose between overwatch creeping and up territory.

Overwatch creep was a little too effective in the first game even though it felt great.

A time limit in a game will instantly make me drop it, which is exactly what happened with XCOM 2. Shame as I loved the first.

Markitron wrote: »
    A time limit in a game will instantly make me drop it, which is exactly what happened with XCOM 2. Shame as I loved the first.

There's mods to get rid of it but once you do it's a much lesser game. I find the time limits give you more than enough time to finish them but just enough anxiety to keep them exciting.

I do understand where you are coming from though I know a lot of people that didn't he same and I dropped the game a few times because the time limits were such a psychological hurdle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The time limit stressed me out, as a serial overwatcher during my entire playthrough of the first game. It is fairly generous though, and isn't ever really a massive issue.

I still save scum all the time like the save scummer that i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's mods to get rid of it but once you do it's a much lesser game. I find the time limits give you more than enough time to finish them but just enough anxiety to keep them exciting.

I do understand where you are coming from though I know a lot of people that didn't he same and I dropped the game a few times because the time limits were such a psychological hurdle.

It is probably tied into the reason that I don’t play multiplayer games very often. Games are a pastime that I use exclusively to relax, I can’t relax with a time limit no matter how generous it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Does anyone know of a game on PS1 or PS2, can't remember which, where it's just countless minigames. It was very Japanese but it was just full of bizarre minigames.

My google searches of "Playstation Japanese minigames" etc is too broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a game on PS1 or PS2, can't remember which, where it's just countless minigames. It was very Japanese but it was just full of bizarre minigames.

My google searches of "Playstation Japanese minigames" etc is too broad.

Take a look at this list, maybe it'll jog your memory :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_party_video_games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Incredible Crisis?

Advertisement