Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Not quite sure what impact this will have but Sony announces partnership with Discord

https://www.sie.com/en/blog/announcing-playstations-new-partnership-with-discord/

Huh wasnt there rumours microsoft were about to buy out Discord a month back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Impressive join date. Dec 2000. I didn't even have a computer back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Discord pulled out of talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus Soma is ****ing tense. Fairly early on but it's way scarier, intense and exciting than Allen Isolation. I dropped that game sometime around hiding from Androids who i found such a boring enemy. This is way more 'enjoyable'.

Soma's fantastic. I had no idea what I was getting into when I played it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep absolutely adored Soma. Wasn't expecting it to be so good and great to have a game with some hard sci fi rather than the space elves and wizards that usually passes for videogame sci fi.

Impressive join date. Dec 2000. I didn't even have a computer back then.

I'm old

(random)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

n00bs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What's turning me off Soma is the lack of firepower. I'm bumbling about in a creepy environment with what looks like an electronic spanner. I actually had to quit, load up a new game+ of the Evil Within 2 and blow the crap out of stuff with my OP character.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    What's turning me off Soma is the lack of firepower. I'm bumbling about in a creepy environment with what looks like an electronic spanner. I actually had to quit, load up a new game+ of the Evil Within 2 and blow the crap out of stuff with my OP character.

I actually love when 'walking simulators' can ditch the combat. Sometimes they feel they need to tack it on which can wreck a game like this. The enemies in this can be a bit annoying but I've come across very few so far and when I have, it was quick getting past them (Still early so all that can still change).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

n00bs

*coughs politely* :p

I'm not that old

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just announced on the Bombcast that Giant Bomb is effectively finished with Vinny, Brad and Alex all leaving. Have to say, as far as these things go, feels like a right punch in the gut. Have been listening to their stuff for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭brady12

Just announced on the Bombcast that Giant Bomb is effectively finished with Vinny, Brad and Alex all leaving. Have to say, as far as these things go, feels like a right punch in the gut. Have been listening to their stuff for years and years.

Same listening with prob 15 years ? Looked forward to Wednesday's every week for pod . Wonder what happens now

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm old

(random)
    n00bs

Sheesh. Kids these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I used to watch all their videos but I've lost interest in recent years. They used to have lots of extra series that were worth subscribing for but they all stopped. Ended up with the shows that used to be free all behind a paywall. Pandemic didn't help obviously. Too many of them doing solo videos when the best thing about the site was the group dynamic.

I think I'm about 70% through Soma (according to a progress guide and absolutely loving the story. The 2 biggest scares I've gotten was when my touch created a shadow that moved in front of me and when i forgot a friendly robot was following me and turned around to get caught rotten.

This is really after cementing the fact that I'm over the hide and seek horror games. I'd much rather the story be horrific than have the odd 'hide until big bad goes away'. Those parts just annoy me now a days. I think Outlast 1 was the last one i enjoyed. Thankfully those moments are few and far between so I'm still really enjoying this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't wait to hear the reaction when you finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really want to see what everyone is talking about regarding Soma and specifically the ending, but I can't put myself through a horror game just to find out. I don't find horror entertaining.

I really want to see what everyone is talking about regarding Soma and specifically the ending, but I can't put myself through a horror game just to find out. I don't find horror entertaining.

It's more that it's a really great piece of sci-fi. The horror is just an added bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I may be tempted by safe mode, because like a lot of people online, I don't have the patience for the waity sneaky games. It'll only take 1 jump scare to get me to turn it off. Yes, I'm a wuss, but I'm a proud wuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really hate jump scares as well but despite this very much enjoyed Until Dawn. It was like appearing in a remake of a 1980s slasher movie.

Until Dawn is a weird game that works in spite of itself. It's complete crap and nothing but schlocky jump scares. But as a result it emulates those schlocky 80's slasher flicks perfectly. Seems like a bit of a fluke as Supermassive haven't made anything great before or since.

I can tell you that Soma isn't jump scares, it's genuinely terrifying. You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think I'm about 70% through Soma (according to a progress guide and absolutely loving the story. The 2 biggest scares I've gotten was when my touch created a shadow that moved in front of me and when i forgot a friendly robot was following me and turned around to get caught rotten.

This is really after cementing the fact that I'm over the hide and seek horror games. I'd much rather the story be horrific than have the odd 'hide until big bad goes away'. Those parts just annoy me now a days. I think Outlast 1 was the last one i enjoyed. Thankfully those moments are few and far between so I'm still really enjoying this.

Yeah I'm bored of these too, it's annoying all the RE games have the hide and seek element to them now as well. It's more annoying than scary I find.

Yeah I'm bored of these too, it's annoying all the RE games have the hide and seek element to them now as well. It's more annoying than scary I find.

I actually didn't mind it in Resi 7, forgot there was even hide and seek sections in that as I was so immersed in the game.

In comparison, playing Alien Isolation, I remember playing and then seeing the androids and thinking oh, hide and seek section. I suppose it just depends on how into a game you are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Installing Soma now. Love a good sci-fi horror setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I actually didn't mind it in Resi 7, forgot there was even hide and seek sections in that as I was so immersed in the game.

In comparison, playing Alien Isolation, I remember playing and then seeing the androids and thinking oh, hide and seek section. I suppose it just depends on how into a game you are.

The hiding sections worked in Alien Isolation when it was the alien but when it came to the androids... they ruined that game. There was no tension, it was just irritating.

Tbf, by the end of the game I even found the alien annoying because I just wanted to finished with the game.

Is there hiding sections in Soma? I only remember running like a mofo a couple of times from things in that game. I don't remember hiding.

The hiding sections worked in Alien Isolation when it was the alien but when it came to the androids... they ruined that game. There was no tension, it was just irritating.

Tbf, by the end of the game I even found the alien annoying because I just wanted to finished with the game.

Is there hiding sections in Soma? I only remember running like a mofo a couple of times from things in that game. I don't remember hiding.

There's some hiding to let enemies pass and then leg it but mostly is being attacked and legging it like you say :) The screen effect when someone is chasing you is horrific, feels horrible, in a good way :)

Just finished Soma, Jesus Christ, absolutely incredible. I don't even know what emotion I'm feeling right now, maybe all of them? Anyway, I'm gonna go and lie awake in bed for a few hours and ponder my existence...

• Advertisement

I will admit the whole coin flip angle has stuck with me since the first time I've played the game.

Advertisement