Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Racking up the hours in Monster Hunter Rise and getting into some of the late/post game stuff (‘the real Monster Hunter starts here’ stuff). If you’d told be even a few months ago that a MH game would be my favourite big franchise game in bloody ages I wouldn’t have believed you. But I really can’t get enough of it.

It has some truly incredible boss design and the best, most satisfying loot grind I’ve personally come across in gaming. If you have a Switch and are at all curious about giving the series a go, I thoroughly recommend doing so - just give it an hour or two leeway til you’re over the tutorial hump :)

Very tempted to go back and give World a go in 60FPS glory... but not sure I could readjust to life without the wirebug and Palimute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

It can be a very addictive game. Very nicely paced out progression of weapons/armours, you can see what parts you need and hunt specific monsters. And that great rush when you finally down a new breed and see what its parts unlock for you. Im on the fence of picking up Rise or getting back into World (only 170 hours played and still not cleared all the game has to offer).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't remember who warned me about the Tutorial, as I got around to playing with the Monster Hunter demo cos ... YIKES. It really is horrendous. Like they just threw it together at the last minute and presumed it good enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Racking up the hours in Monster Hunter Rise and getting into some of the late/post game stuff (‘the real Monster Hunter starts here’ stuff). If you’d told be even a few months ago that a MH game would be my favourite big franchise game in bloody ages I wouldn’t have believed you. But I really can’t get enough of it.

It has some truly incredible boss design and the best, most satisfying loot grind I’ve personally come across in gaming. If you have a Switch and are at all curious about giving the series a go, I thoroughly recommend doing so - just give it an hour or two leeway til you’re over the tutorial hump :)

Very tempted to go back and give World a go in 60FPS glory... but not sure I could readjust to life without the wirebug and Palimute :pac:

120+ fps glory on PC, incredible game with a really great endgame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just a word of warning, you'd want a beast of a machine to run this in 60 FPS. It's a real system hog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just a word of warning, you'd want a beast of a machine to run this in 60 FPS. It's a real system hog!

It runs 60fps on PS5 does it not?

This is a misconception a lot of people make but they are missing out on one simple fix.
    Turn off volume rendering quality [its a horrible misty fog anyways] almost doubles your framerate it also gives you a vastly sharper and cleaner image.

My machine is far from a beast but never drops below 120 fps and usually sits closer to 180 fps @ 1440P spec is 8600K & 1080TI.
    PC version also has a big modding scene with some really useful quality of life mods.

I can't remember who warned me about the Tutorial, as I got around to playing with the Monster Hunter demo cos ... YIKES. It really is horrendous. Like they just threw it together at the last minute and presumed it good enough.

Yeah it really is an awful start to the game and does it no justice whatsoever.
    Once you get by the first few hours the game really starts to take shape.
    Possibly the best loot progression system of any looter game.
    Plus with the Guiding Lands endgame zone the endgame is potentially infinite and a great way to play without loading screens.
    Really it has to be experienced to be appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It runs 60fps on PS5 does it not?

This is my understanding too, and I own the game on PS4 anyway so would just play it there (not to mention it’s a PS Plus freebie).

It’s one of those games though where the changes in Rise have become so intuitive and natural that I’m mostly curious about whether that renders World sorta redundant.

This is my understanding too, and I own the game on PS4 anyway so would just play it there (not to mention it’s a PS Plus freebie).

It’s one of those games though where the changes in Rise have become so intuitive and natural that I’m mostly curious about whether that renders World sorta redundant.

There are some annoying things they dropped/changed from world for Rise alright but if you enjoy the gameplay loop in general you really should enjoy the guiding lands endgame zone and also something to aim for as you progress through the campaign.

I have 498 hours put into MHW and tempted to download it again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I have a severe craving to play silent hill 1 again. Found discs on eBay but ther so expensive and I think the TV I have will make it unplayable cause original resident evil 2 wasn’t great on it.
    Anyone know any other ways to play it online or anything?

• Advertisement

RubyGlee wrote: »
    I have a severe craving to play silent hill 1 again. Found discs on eBay but ther so expensive and I think the TV I have will make it unplayable cause original resident evil 2 wasn’t great on it.

Google for an emulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Had a look at the Cemu and Yuzu emulators a bit recently.

I thought Cemu was broken playing BOTW because of the sound so looked up a playthrough and it actually sounds like that. Didn't grab me whatsoever. I put it down after two hours or so and will never play it again.

how was the speed as I tried BOTW and it was unplayable?
    my PC is not the worst 2700X, Vega 64 and it ran like a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You can play it on a Vita but you'd have to get it sorted quick sharp before they close the store.

Skerries wrote: »

It ran fine for me on my 3600 and 3060ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You can play it on a Vita but you'd have to get it sorted quick sharp before they close the store.

This, the Vita is the king when it comes to PS1 games. Maybe you could hack a PS1 mini? I'm assuming that thing has been hacked to bits at this point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Skerries wrote: »

I played 100 hours of BOTW via Cemu on my i5 / gtx1070 and it was near perfect at 1080p. Fantastic game.

I think there's something about amd gpus. You have to use vulcan instead of opengl or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If you've had PSplus for a while check to see if you have the game in your library. It was given to us way back in 2012.
    Playable on PSP, Vita, PSTV and PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

OpenGL support on AMD gpus is terrible tbh. I remember Wolfenstein 2014 just being unplayable on my r9 390

I've got a grin from ear to ear playing Rain on Your Parade on game pass. It's just silly fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

For silent hill yeah hacked ps1 mini would be your best bet

With the rumours of Blue point doing a Metal Gear Solid remake, would that make it the most remade game, with Twin Snakes being the other remake of it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the rumours of Blue point doing a Metal Gear Solid remake, would that make it the most remade game, with Twin Snakes being the other remake of it?

Hasn't the original Resident Evil game been remade a good few times?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hasn't the original Resident Evil game been remade a good few times?

Just once, in 2002, but depends on how you define remake I suppose. It has been remastered and re-released multiple times but the GameCube one is the only one that is an actual remake from the ground up. This remake has also been remastered and re-released a few times itself.

You could make the argument that Goldeneye has had two remakes, but I think it is better that we just pretend these don't exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not even close.

Off the top of my Head Ys 1 and 2 have been remade multiple times. Original releases, The MSX2/FM-7 remake. Then the master system remake, PC-9801 remake, Famicom, FM Towns Marty. You have the Ys books 1 and 2 collection then on the PC Engine followed by a MS-DOS release and then a the YS 1 and 2 chronicles release that was on PC and PSP. And I'm probably forgetting loads.

Not even close.

Off the top of my Head Ys 1 and 2 have been remade multiple times. Original releases, The MSX2/FM-7 remake. Then the master system remake, PC-9801 remake, Famicom, FM Towns Marty. You have the Ys books 1 and 2 collection then on the PC Engine followed by a MS-DOS release and then a the YS 1 and 2 chronicles release that was on PC and PSP. And I'm probably forgetting loads.

I think he meant games that people have actually heard of

Not too familiar with the Ys games, but yeah was looking for remakes rather than ports/remasters.

And I think I heard about them enough to know the pronunciation. :D

I guess Myst could be in this as well with another remake supposedly on the way

Markitron wrote: »
    I think he meant games that people have actually heard of

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure) has been remade about 5 times now, there were plenty of rumors since late last year of Sony buying Bluepoint.

• Advertisement

Not too familiar with the Ys games, but yeah was looking for remakes rather than ports/remasters.

And I think I heard about them enough to know the pronunciation. :D

I guess Myst could be in this as well with another remake supposedly on the way

I was actually talking about remakes, Falcom changed Ys significantly for each of those games and updated graphics and gameplay a lot. They love remaking the first two Ys games. They're pretty great games, the latest version Ys Chronicles is fantastic.

I even forgot a Saturn remake.

If I was talking about ports it would be probably be a contender there as well with all the japanese home computers it's been released on.

The first Final Fantasy would be another contender. Original release of Famicom, Wonderswan remaster, PS1 remaster, GBA remaster. Probably another I'm missing.

Advertisement