Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with what you say but what the hell is that about?

Natural red heads produce far more vitamin D in a shorter time, so just walking to the car to get something means I get most of my vitamin D without having to utilise the sun. I don't need direct sunlight either, overcast days do me. I can literally feel my skin burning if I'm in the sun for more than a few minutes.

"Thanks to higher concentrations of red hair and pale skin in cloudy European environments, redheads gained a greater ability to create their own vitamin D. When they go outside, he or she produces more vitamin D in a shorter amount of time than people with other hair colours"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

"Thanks to higher concentrations of red hair and pale skin in cloudy European environments, redheads gained a greater ability to create their own vitamin D. When they go outside, he or she produces more vitamin D in a shorter amount of time than people with other hair colours"

Red Head Redemption 2

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,785 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Re: Golf games, same as any game based on a real life event, the closer they get to reality, the less fun they are. The Golf Club was fun for a while, but waay too realistic. I think Everybodys Golf is so good because it's fun to play.
    I was awful at The Golf Club 2. Played it once and never went back. Everybody's Golf is a joy to play, only thing is my putting sucks. Always did no matter what golf games I played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get my vitamin D from the glow of my monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only potential monke is a ginger I could nearly be sure hes my son :D very similiar lifestyle.

Except he WFH and I am not sure if he has left the house this year and is quite happy with that. Games, anime and work(programming) are all he does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

I really wish my day job was a healthy outdoors job so that I could spend my time off really enjoying sitting on my ass rather than having to get exercise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I really wish my day job was a healthy outdoors job so that I could spend my time off really enjoying sitting on my ass rather than having to get exercise etc

They are always looking for road sweepers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

WRT how much gaming is too much I think you can tell when it's too much if it becomes the only thing you think about or are motivated by.

Not to say anyone here is like that but it's good to be mindful of when it can turn from distraction into obsession. Which doesn't necessarily correspond to hours playing, especially in times like these.

He says after spending about 5 hours raiding this evening on FFXIV.

Dirt 5 Sprint races can suck a huge one.
    I had to go back at the end and play them all one after the other to get the "complete every event" achievement. It was showing on my dash as a "close achievements" tile, teasing me. That was painful.

I know there must be a knack to it, but I really had no interest in trying to figure out what it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pro-Tip for healthy gaming: You don't need to get every achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

WRT how much gaming is too much I think you can tell when it's too much if it becomes the only thing you think about or are motivated by.

Not to say anyone here is like that but it's good to be mindful of when it can turn from distraction into obsession. Which doesn't necessarily correspond to hours playing, especially in times like these.

He says after spending about 5 hours raiding this evening on FFXIV.

That's the one game I'm scared to check my hours played in. Spent a while unemployed a few years ago and used that to fill my days. Not that I'm complaining, I'd say I would have went mad with boredom without it.

I still get tempted to fire it up occasionally, but each time I go back to it I find it a bit less exciting. Probably to be expected considering I've played every expansion to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That's what someone says when they need to GIT GUUUUUDDD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’d be lucky to get 10 hours per week! I think one good thing about not having nearly enough time as I used to is that I have far less FOMO about new releases. I’ve accepted that I won’t be able to play every new game that comes out, and that the 2 consoles I have will provide many more hours of entertainment than I’ll be able to put in.

I don’t mind if a game is long, but generally it means I’ll only play through it once, and I couldn’t care less about trophies.

Mistakes have been made though, I foolishly bought Persona 5 Royal because I enjoyed Persona 5 so much before quickly realising that I can’t dedicate another 100 hours of my life to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Turns out Republic Commando is still fantastic. I was expecting it to have aged quite a bit so I was pleasantly surprised. Looks and runs great on PS5.

Markitron wrote: »
    Turns out Republic Commando is still fantastic. I was expecting it to have aged quite a bit so I was pleasantly surprised. Looks and runs great on PS5.

I never found it fantastic at release. It was a competent squad based shooter when they were thin on the ground on console but even then Rainbow Six on console was far superior. I really don't imagine it's aged that well considering I found it felt really dated when I tried to play it a few years ago. It's probably still fun but won't set the world on fire because it never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I never found it fantastic at release. It was a competent squad based shooter when they were thin on the ground on console but even then Rainbow Six on console was far superior. I really don't imagine it's aged that well considering I found it felt really dated when I tried to play it a few years ago. It's probably still fun but won't set the world on fire because it never did.
    Played it myself a month or so ago on the PC and yea, it's solid and fun but almost inescapably feels like a console-based squad shooter from that period rather than something that should be compared to the more heavy weight PC titles in that sub-genre.

That's not to mention the horrid difficulty spikes that start when the mini-gun wielding Trandoshan Elites turn up midway through and just suddenly surprise you behind a door or collapsing wall, melting you within a second or so. There were also some sections involving the Super Battle Droid spawner units where if you weren't able to close the distance between you and them shortly after they dropped and had the right ammo to kill them fast enough, the fight became a distinctly unfun slog needing some immersion breaking suicide orders to be issued in the hope they could be destroyed while you hold off the current wave.

As I said in another thread, there's definitely some scope to return to that genre with a tie-in to The Bad Batch which, if done in a Bad Company mould, could be fantastic. I'm not going to hold my breath though. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I could be misremembering but wasn't Republic Commando released after a protracted period where "Star Wars video game" was a shorthand for "shovelware?" I too was a bit underwhelmed but after a series of duds could see where and how a vaguely competent shooter in the SW universe would have garnered high praise.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I could be misremembering but wasn't Republic Commando released after a protracted period where "Star Wars video game" was a shorthand for "shovelware?" I too was a bit underwhelmed but after a series of duds could see where and how a vaguely competent shooter in the SW universe would have garnered high praise.

In the 20 months before Republic Commando released, we got Kotor, Kotor 2, Lego Star Wars and Jedi Academy. You are definitely misremembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It was more the fact that there were a lot of games full stop. As Markitron said above, there were some absolute classics released in that period but there was also the direct movie tie-ins, mediocre console releases like Bounty Hunter, Jedi Starfighter and Racer Revenge as well as a slew of handheld releases which are best forgotten.

gizmo wrote: »
    It was more the fact that there were a lot of games full stop. As Markitron said above, there were some absolute classics released in that period but there was also the direct movie tie-ins, mediocre console releases like Bounty Hunter, Jedi Starfighter and Racer Revenge as well as a slew of handheld releases which are best forgotten.

Aside from an absolutely golden period in the early to mid 90s, SW games have always run the gamut from shovelware to all-time classic. Well, up until around 2006. Then things took a really bad turn as Lucasfilm imploded in slow motion.

We might be seeing a bit of a shift again now, Fallen Order and Squadrons were great and BF2 has seemingly turned into a good game too. Hopefully Ubisoft's game is a little more inspired than their usual openworld formula, I have no doubt that fallen order 2 will be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I have no doubt that fallen order 2 will be great.
    Is there going to be a fallen order 2??

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Is there going to be a fallen order 2??

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's pretty much an open secret at this point. The first was commercial and critical success so it was really a no-brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In the 20 months before Republic Commando released, we got Kotor, Kotor 2, Lego Star Wars and Jedi Academy. You are definitely misremembering.

Fair enough; though as gizmo said there was still a lot of shovelware out there, especially around the prequels as they were released. Which is likely what I was thinking about it; Rep Commando stood out from that era of SW tie-ins

Fair enough; though as gizmo said there was still a lot of shovelware out there, especially around the prequels as they were released. Which is likely what I was thinking about it; Rep Commando stood out from that era of SW tie-ins

Yea the handheld titles were all ****e, and definitely shovelware. I don't think RC stood out as some diamond in the rough though. RC, Lego Star Wars and Kotor 2 came out with 2 months of each other. If you go back from when RC released to when Episode 1 came out, you can add Jedi Knight 2, Rogue Squadron 2 and maybe Episode 1 Racer to list of great games I mentioned in the last post. Of the rest of them, I'd really only call Demolition and the Kart Racer shovelware. Starfighter and it's sequel are good games. The Episode 1 and 3 tie-ins are solid, if unspectacular. Bounty Hunter, Racer Revenge, Battle for Naboo and Clone Wars are all decent 7/10's. Jedi Power Battles and Obi-Wan are probably marginal but they weirdly both have their fans.

Again, I'm disregarding the handheld titles because they just never registered with me in the first place, so that's a bit of a caveat I suppose.

The second trilogy tie-ins were all terrible with the exception of Republic Commando. As a result it got ignored and then got some user buzz for actually not being crap and being a bit decent. And then that got warped into hidden gem, which it isn't. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Currently playing silent hill 3 on ps now. Haven’t played it since it first came out on ps2. Still terrifies me. Want to play the first one now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Given Disney's recent approach to churning out Star Wars movies/series, if it wasn't shorthand before, I think we can expect it in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My friend Paddy interviewed Benjamin Byron Davis who plays Dutch in the Red Dead games if anyone fancies a watch/listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Agreed. If you start to procrastinate, that's a sign to stop. Once it stops being fun and becomes a dreaded checklist, I don't bother my hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement