Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

What's the scariest horror survival game one could play?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jordan 199 wrote: »

You could run through house listings in Dublin. Pretty scary to see the price of property up there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This answer will vary wildly from person to person, Alien Isolation and Amnesia Dark Descent would likely be popular choices though.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    You could run through house listings in Dublin. Pretty scary to see the price of property up there ;)

He wants to be scared, not scared to actual death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

System shock 2 or silent hill.

Soma is worth playing as well for something more modern.

Markitron wrote: »
    Amnesia Dark Descent
    The thing about those Amnesia games is that I don't remember playing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Resident Evil 7 VR. Scariest experience I've ever had from any medium. If the Baker family don't getcha, the motion sickness surely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you have access to an older console you could try Fatal Frame (think it was called Project Zero in Europe). That used to freak me out when I played it on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

RE7, RE2 Remake, Alien Isolation, Evil Within 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd recommend Soma over everything else when it comes to scares. It's genuinely scary but also has a cracker of a hard sci-fi plot.

RE2 Remake is the better game but it's pretty campy like all the resi games.

Soma has one of the most depressing endings to a game ever. Up there with the film version of the Mist for me.

• Advertisement

Soma has one of the most depressing endings to a game ever. Up there with the film version of the Mist for me.

I'm a sucker for depressing games' Only played about 10 minutes of this before and never went back but don't know why. Need to give it another go.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm a sucker for depressing games' Only played about 10 minutes of this before and never went back but don't know why. Need to give it another go.

You really should. It's incredible. You probably didn't even get into the game proper.

I think the ending is even better than the Mist. Just so utterly bleak. Really hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You really should. It's incredible. You probably didn't even get into the game proper.

I think the ending is even better than the Mist. Just so utterly bleak. Really hit home.

I have Soma in my library, guessing it was on ps plus at some point? Might give it a bash over the long wkend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Resident Evil 7 VR. Scariest experience I've ever had from any medium. If the Baker family don't getcha, the motion sickness surely will.

It has nothing on alien isolation in vr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Darkwood or Phasmophobia.

Ikenie no Yoru but it would be very hard to track down.

This looks class, Beat Cop, but it's 15 quid on psn and hasn't been on sale since 2019. Would give it a go of bit cheaper. Anyone play it? Sounds kinda like This is The Police. Something about the mundane tasks of writing parking tickets seems relaxing.

Xenji wrote: »
    Darkwood or Phasmophobia.

Ikenie no Yoru but it would be very hard to track down.

Darkwood looks interesting as it's top down. Don't think I ever played a top down video game.

I didn't find SOMA to be at all interesting mechanically, but the story and setting are fantastic. I think the patch they added to make it essentially a walking simulator might actually make it a better game, I might give it another try on that setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Markitron wrote: »
    I didn't find SOMA to be at all interesting mechanically, but the story and setting are fantastic. I think the patch they added to make it essentially a walking simulator might actually make it a better game, I might give it another try on that setting.

Yeah I've had a few friends I recommended it to after that patch dropped. Because I did find it was at points a very frustrating experience from a gameplay perspective

I also replayed it with that patch because honestly some parts you genuinely feel you must have missed something as you were too focused on avoiding the nightmare fuel let loose.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Yeah I've had a few friends I recommended it to after that patch dropped. Because I did find it was at points a very frustrating experience from a gameplay perspective

I also replayed it with that patch because honestly some parts you genuinely feel you must have missed something as you were too focused on avoiding the nightmare fuel let loose.

So you found it better the second time around yea? Did they just remove the enemies completely?

• Advertisement

All you had to do was run like Jiminy from the enemies in the original game. It wasn't really that difficult.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Hhhmm on one hand, I'd like to experience the game as intended but I do find it annoying when I'm trying to explore a place but avoiding an enemy at the same time.

There's maybe 6 enemies in the entire game. The only one I found frustrating was that worm thing right at the end but that was over pretty quickly.

Hhhmm on one hand, I'd like to experience the game as intended but I do find it annoying when I'm trying to explore a place but avoiding an enemy at the same time.

I can't say I found it very annoying from what I remember. You'll have a couple of instances of having to run away from an enemy. The game is hardly crawling with them.

Speaking of not dealing with enemies, i see Amnesia added an adventure mode today.

https://twitter.com/frictionalgames/status/1387783141981622272?s=19

Ign reviewer mode

Ign reviewer mode

I remember the bloke reviewing Alien Isolation complained that it was too hard, then later mentioned in the review that he selected hard difficulty. Gave it a lower score than Colonial Marines.

Top professionalism there.

They're not all bad in ign. Some good people there and a few great journalists got their start there. But they wouldn't go to them ever for reviews now.

They're not all bad in ign. Some good people there and a few great journalists got their start there. But they wouldn't go to them ever for reviews now.

Maybe in the late 90's/early 2000's. Tbf for all I know it could the best site on the planet these days, I haven't visited in about 7 years.

• Advertisement

I've watched a couple of ign reviews on YouTube lately and they've all been by Luke Reilly who was actually quite good. All seem to be fair points. Good have just gotten flukey but I'd definitely give one of his reviews a go if i was looking for one.

Advertisement