Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Started Ace Combat 7 last night !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

YoshiSays wrote: »

Enjoy, Iceman! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    It's not a terrible game, just really really boring.

But that's what makes it one of the worst games ever. It's not well made at all but is functional despite bad level design, glitches and boss fights and set pieces that barely work.

It's bad but it doesn't have the balls to be so bad you can laugh at it. It's just the worst kind of triple A bland there is and that's waaaaaaaay more boring than a terrible game which would at least be funny or interesting. There is absolutely nothing interesting about RE6.

Me and my friend were playing a bit in the Leon Campaign. Trapping a gun store with NPCs and zombies outside trying to get in. There were these long pauses were nothing was happening and then just shooting a zombie that might sneak it.

I said to my friend: 'remember that bit when you are trapped in the house with Luis and it's really tense and exciting. That's this. But boring.'

That sums up Resi 6.

Loving the 60 FPS, blue skies and top gun vibes in Ace Combat 7. It feels a bit "Starship Troopers" too, script wise. It's relaxing. Not sure how good/bad this is on Xbox. Seems very smooth on Xbox series x and free on Gamepass. And the console is just silent.

I've noticed that I find 60 FPS games much more relaxing and appealing. And any console noise is a big no no for me. Maybe I've got got really bad ADHD these days.

That and blue skies and I'm good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Loving the 60 FPS, blue skies and top gun vibes in Ace Combat 7. It feels a bit "Starship Troopers" too, script wise. It's relaxing. Not sure how good/bad this is on Xbox. Seems very smooth on Xbox series x and free on Gamepass. And the console is just silent.

I've noticed that I find 60 FPS games much more relaxing and appealing. And any console noise is a big no no for me. Maybe I've got got really bad ADHD these days.

That and blue skies and I'm good.

The problem with the console versions is that they are limited to 1080p, **** knows why. I love the game and yes, 60 fps should be the priority, but I still can't see why it is so resolution-constrained on the Pro and the 1X, it's not exactly a looker. I think it was limited to 720p on the standard XB1, which I would find unplayable.

• Advertisement

The base consoles have pretty ropey framerates. glad I played it on PC although the early unpatched version had major framerate issues on the night time level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Is Resident Evil 6 the worst Resident Evil game?

It's pretty bad but it has some redeeming features. It has an excellent Mercenaries mode and some portions of the campaigns were entertaining. I like it but it is on the whole a pretty diastrous title.

I prefer it to the fleeting mess that was last year's RE3 remake.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

What parts of the campaign were entertaining? The whole campaign was garbage of varying levels of rotten fish smell.

I feel it's one of the most uninteresting and boring games of the last 20 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What parts of the campaign were entertaining? The whole campaign was garbage of varying levels of rotten fish smell.

I enjoyed bits of Leon and Chris's campaign, specifically some of the bosses. Don't get me wrong, I know the game is quite bad but it wasn't entirely unenjoyable.

This video offers the game a reasoned & sympathetic hearing:

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Well I enjoyed none of it and certain sections were pretty much some of the worst I've ever played in any game. The giant monster fight sequence with Chris sticking out in my mind as bafflingly bad.

And I hated all the boss fights. It's a Capcom game and a resident evil game. I was at least hoping for decent boss fights but there's no trick to any of them. They are all just bullet sponges.

I'd love an indepth feature written about what went wrong because it's obviously half finished.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed bits of Leon and Chris's campaign, specifically some of the bosses. Don't get me wrong, I know the game is quite bad but it wasn't entirely unenjoyable.

Oh god there's resident evil 6 apologists now that aren't just fans of mercenaries!

I can be a bit hyperbolic at times but I really mean that other than Chris punching a shark qte the entire game is irredeemable garbage.

You could have posted a YT video titled 'Why Covid is actually a good thing' and I would legitimately have found it less ridiculous than this.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh god there's resident evil 6 apologists now that aren't just fans of mercenaries!

I can be a bit hyperbolic at times but I really mean that other than Chris punching a shark qte the entire game is irredeemable garbage.

RE6 apologists have been a thing for a while now, I think some people just need to be the contrarian. They usually cite the TPS mechanics, the co op and mercenaries whilst completely ignoring all of horrible game design surrounding these ultimately pointless facets of the game.

Markitron wrote: »
    You could have posted a YT video titled 'Why Covid is actually a good thing' and I would legitimately have found it less ridiculous than this.

I've said multiple times that the game is bad. When I go back to it, it's solely for the mercenaries mode. I'm just saying that some of it was fun and that's obviously subjective. If you hated it, fine. The QTE's alone warrant censure but for some daft reason, they reintroduced that into the RE3 remake.

H. H. Asquith

I've said multiple times that the game is bad. When I go back to it, it's solely for the mercenaries mode. I'm just saying that some of it was fun and that's obviously subjective. If you hated it, fine. The QTE's alone warrant censure but for some daft reason, they reintroduced that into the RE3 remake.

Not attacking you, just the entire concept of a video about RE6 telling people they are wrong and it is actually good.

RE6 had a ridiculously overblown QTE every minute, I was genuinely concerned I was going to break the analogue stick on my controller from all the rotating it I had to do. I'm not saying RE3R didn't have QTE's, but I only played it about 6 months ago and I can't remember any of them. I really don't think there is any comparison there.

Markitron wrote: »
    ? RE6 had a ridiculously overblown QTE every minute, I was genuinely concerned I was going to break the analogue stick on my controller from all the rotating it I had to do.

I'm not saying RE3R didn't have QTE's, but I only played it about 6 months ago and I can't remember any of them. I really don't think there is any comparison there.

They're there. There's even a section where Nemesis grabs Jill and you have to hold the stick upwards for several seconds. Any time Jill gets grabbed by a zombie, you have to mash a button.

It's a shame as RE2R hit the nail on the head with the defence items and that had to be removed for some reason.

H. H. Asquith

They're there. There's even a section where Nemesis grabs Jill and you have to hold the stick upwards for several seconds. Any time Jill gets grabbed by a zombie, you have to mash a button.

It's a shame as RE2R hit the nail on the head with the defence items and that had to be removed for some reason.

That's really not the same thing as RE6, and not really any different to when a zombie grabs you in most of the classic RE games. As far as the defence items go, they got rid of them to promote use of the dodge button. Personally I would have preferred they kept the defence item as-is from RE2R, but I can see their logic in replacing it as it is a memorable feature of the original and worked well enough with increased number of enemies.

I can kind of see why they did that as the dodge mechanic was a new thing for the original Resi 3.

And the defense items were originally Resi Remake on the Gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm playing it on the Xbox, but would love to try it in PSVR.

I'm playing it on the Xbox, but would love to try it in PSVR.

Unfortunately the VR is mode is limited to a handful of non-campaign missions.

Project wingman is pretty much ace combat in vr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Anyone else who added EA games to their XBGP for PC? I'm having issues with it already, tried dowloading 'A way out' and it's giving errors, download won't even begin, tried the usual restarting [PC and XB client] and still errors .... any ideas? I managed to download 'Unravel' and it runs just fine.

Skipped though a load of games on Gamepass. Couldn't settle on any of them. ADHD city. Went to 3D World on Switch. Happy place. I did race a steam train in Forza 4 through the snow which was excellent. Think Playground games are doing a fantasy open world game. Should be interesting to see what the come up with. They certainly have the technical chops..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone else who added EA games to their XBGP for PC? I'm having issues with it already, tried dowloading 'A way out' and it's giving errors, download won't even begin, tried the usual restarting [PC and XB client] and still errors .... any ideas? I managed to download 'Unravel' and it runs just fine.

I had errors with Jade Empire, it kept failing to install after it downloaded

I'll have to get back playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I have been playing it on and off, but I'm going to start afresh and play some of it every day. A great game from what I've played of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a good 20 hour game somewhere in RE6. Just needs an editor to chop away two thirds of the rest.

Everybody seems to like this game so i'm looking forward to playing it. It's in my backlog.

A game best enjoyed wearing headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

xtal191 wrote: »
    I had errors with Jade Empire, it kept failing to install after it downloaded

This [A way out] won't even begin downloading, it's an instant error, tried again and still same.

KdMkP7c.png?1

^ One of my Porsche 911's with its brake discs a glowin' that I own in Forza Horizon 4. A superb car that's a thrill to drive around the twisty turny roads. I went back playing it yesterday to compete in some events and to increase my car collection of 387 cars. Still a beautiful game to play, but I'm going to install it on my Series X for faster loading times.

And on another note, the Aurora Borealis in the night sky of the Fortune Island expansion is amazing.

There's a good 20 hour game somewhere in RE6. Just needs an editor to chop away two thirds of the rest.

Then the editor needs to take the remaining third, take out and replace all the combat, encounter designs, environmental designs, story, dialogue, pacing, progression systems and boss battles.

Maybe then it might be possible to salvage something from it
    I'll have to get back playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I have been playing it on and off, but I'm going to start afresh and play some of it every day. A great game from what I've played of it so far.

My favourite game of 2017. The main reason I bought a Series X is because I will need one eventually for the sequel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement