Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The cake is a lie. What the hell does that mean?

If you genuinely do not know then don’t google it. The only purpose that phrase serves is to identify humourless morons from 2008 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

“Wololo....”

- Priest unit, Age of Empires

Timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

"I'm fully aware of what I'm doing. Can't you see? Man committed a sin... disturbing the life cycle of nature... The original sin that man is responsible to... To protect the life cycle. I have made a creature to rule over mankind...This is the final battle. Show yourself! Our new ruler the Emperor!"

-Goldman, House of the Dead 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm playing GTA Vice City at the moment. I took a stroll by the beach, folk were strolling, roller-skating while the palm trees were gently swaying in the breeze.

I love the radio stations, especially V Rock but I listen to most of the radio stations.

I stopped playing the storyline as the controls drove me mad, which is a shame as I would have loved to complete it.

I rarely play the game now, but when I do, I go for a cruise listening to great choons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's the first game I remember you could listen to Stranglehold by Ted Nugent. I used to love driving round with that blaring. Then Battlefield Hardline took it to next level. There was a game mode involving cars (hotwire). Nothing quite like being perched out the front seat passenger window, with an rpg on your shoulder with that playing in the background.

• Advertisement

Oh. This is awkward. Guess it has to be me who says it then: everyone is just ignoring the fact someone just very casually dropped the n word and is awkwardly trying to cover it with, um, humour. Can I try?

"Your words are sincere but that does not make them true."

Connor Kenway, Assassin's Creed III
    Context. It was a quote from a game, made by a character of high skin melatonin levels which apparently is allowed. If you want more context you should watch Chris Rocks comedy routine "Niggas vs. Black People".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Context is it being used within an artistic context, not a quote casually being thrown into a thread, completely unprompted.

Have deleted the post. Have a bit of cop on, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

World's gone mad.

Yes, I understand the context. It's still wrong. The word is routed in painful history for black people. I've also seen the Chris Rock's skit (it's a famous one) and the joke of it all is that many non black people didn't actually understand it and so think they can use it as a pass to say the n word. Even Chris Rock said he stopped doing that for this reason.
    So can you clarify please so I understand, you feel we are all somehow racist because we weren't outraged and offended by a post of a quote from a game using a word ,when taken out of context, can be deemed racist? We are basically all racist or complicit for not voicing outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This reminds me of the time in shchool when a teacher asked to see the tape I was listening to on my walkman. Well, Mr. 2Pac does like to have the n word in his song titles which the teacher saw, confiscated the tape and gave me detention for being racist :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Context. It was a quote from a game, made by a character of high skin melatonin levels which apparently is allowed. If you want more context you should watch Chris Rocks comedy routine "Niggas vs. Black People".

I'm not sure how that Chris Rock sketch helps to put the quote into context.

I'm not offended by the quote but funnily enough, it been talked about here has made wonder about the scriptwriting of the GTA series and from a brief look at it, it seems a bit dodge tbh. A bunch of white producers/writers giving scripts to black actors to embellish with words that they, the white people involved, can't be seen to be using but desperately want in their game to help it have the edginess that the promotion of the game thrives on.

Does this help tie the conversation back to a gaming discussion?

Liamalone wrote: »
    World's gone mad.
    So can you clarify please so I understand, you feel we are all somehow racist because we weren't outraged and offended by a post of a quote from a game using a word ,when taken out of context, can be deemed racist? We are basically all racist or complicit for not voicing outrage?

I swear to god, I thought I was reading the comments section on The Journal for a second there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's not about being offended. It's not about being racist if you're not outraged. It's just saying that *perhaps* we shouldn't casually use the n-word in a totally random, unprompted forum quote with absolutely zero context.

And yes, the writing in GTA is nearly universally awful anyway :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Markitron wrote: »
    I swear to god, I thought I was reading the comments section on The Journal for a second there

Please don't take the Lord's name in vain, it is offensive.

Please don't take the Lord's name in vain, it is offensive.

You shouldn't push your religious beliefs on others, that's even more offensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Nah, nobody has decried "FF/FG/Greens asleep at the wheel......" or "OPEN THE PUBS!!!!!" yet.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Nah, nobody has decried "FF/FG/Greens asleep at the wheel......" or "OPEN THE PUBS!!!!!" yet.

Scamdemic!!! It's a hoax, more people die on the toilet than die from Covid. It's the great reset! There taken your civil libraries!!!

Liamalone wrote: »
    World's gone mad.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Scamdemic!!! It's a hoax, more people die on the toilet than die from Covid. It's the great reset! There taken your civil libraries!!!

Now that's a Journal.ie bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I like turtles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I like turtles.

Hero or Ninja......choose wisely.

• Advertisement

So is Star Wars Squadrons like the Ace Combat games that people on here are always scuttering on about? I spent a whole 99 cents to get a month's EA Play to try it out and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it at all.

Can't believe I wasted 99 cents on it.

Mod note: Enough of this nonsense. Last few posts deleted.

So is Star Wars Squadrons like the Ace Combat games that people on here are always scuttering on about? I spent a whole 99 cents to get a month's EA Play to try it out and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it at all.

If you are into the genre, then no, they are nothing alike. If you are someone that never plays flight sims then yea you could consider them similar enough.

Ace Combat would be a bit faster paced with slightly more of an action emphasis than Squadrons, but they are still both sims at the end of the day. It would be closer to squadrons than something like Rogue Squadron.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

not really ace combat would be much tighter paced and scripted then squadrons, in part due to the nature you are controlling jets that are always moving, so the events tend to be brought to you or you always heading towards it.

Squadrons sort of falls between a dumbed down spin off of the x wing tie fighter series and the rogue squadron series that was popular on nintendo consoles.

Also Squadrons was designed with VR in mind which is why they enforce the cockpit only view etc, Ace Combat is not so it plays more cinematically with a third person camera etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    not really ace combat would be much tighter paced and scripted then squadrons, in part due to the nature you are controlling jets that are always moving, so the events tend to be brought to you or you always heading towards it.

Squadrons sort of falls between a dumbed down spin off of the x wing tie fighter series and the rogue squadron series that was popular on nintendo consoles.

Also Squadrons was designed with VR in mind which is why they enforce the cockpit only view etc, Ace Combat is not so it plays more cinematically with a third person camera etc.

Ace combat has first person mode as well which is actually the better way to play when you get used to it as it's easier to read the altitude HUD.

What I've gathered from my friends is squadrons is disappointing while ace combat is way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

OK now it is more like the comments section of the Daily Mail which is way less amusing than The Journal..................

Nothing is less amusing than The Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ace combat has first person mode as well which is actually the better way to play when you get used to it as it's easier to read the altitude HUD.

What I've gathered from my friends is squadrons is disappointing while ace combat is way better.

Yeah but It doesnt enforce the first person mode as the only mode.

Squadrons is first person only primarily because of the VR implementation (Project Wingman does the same, when you play the campaign in VR its locked to first person)

I think Squadrons is substantially better when played in VR where a lot of the limitations it has in normal flat screen mode are circumvented, without VR it is a disapointing title, but with VR the gameplay and presentation work a lot better raising it to a solid title.

In contrast Ace Combat and Project Wingman are good games regardless of how they are played.

Advertisement