Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I've really enjoyed Squadrons in VR, but in non VR mode i found it pretty average. Being in the cockpit of an x-wing or tie fighter in VR is good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ace combat has first person mode as well which is actually the better way to play when you get used to it as it's easier to read the altitude HUD.

What I've gathered from my friends is squadrons is disappointing while ace combat is way better.

I preferred Squadrons, but then I am huge fan of X-Wing/TIE Fighter and I will take anything that is even remotely similar. Like I said earlier they are fairly different kinds of game within that genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What I've gathered from my friends is squadrons is disappointing while ace combat is way better.

I just assumed you wouldn't be friends with someone who didn't rate Ace Combat in the first place!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I just assumed you wouldn't be friends with someone who didn't rate Ace Combat in the first place!

True but then good taste and not being clinically insane go hand in hand with liking Ace Combat.

True but then good taste and not being clinically insane go hand in hand with liking Ace Combat.

I got into Ace Combat with AC4 on the PS2. Friend of mine bought it and dropped it immediately when he found out the sticks controlled the pitch/roll/yaw and that you couldn't just push left to turn left. I just took it off him. Worked out well as I have been a massive fan ever since.

Also we aren't friends anymore and Assault Horizon is almost as offensive as RE6, I am definitely not a massive fan of that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Getting to a point where I might need to consider a moderator's coup and ban any mention of AC7 from this forum given how many conversations have been derailed by that bloody game :p

(Also, Squadrons in VR is truly spectacular)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is it this generation's Atari Jaguar reference? (there's one for the oldies :D )

I've never played an AC game. I might, might have played a demo of one of them on those Demo CDs you used to get with the official PS1 magazine fado fado...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Does anyone remember when UBISOFT tried to challenge Ace Combat with those Tom Clany HAWX games?

I'll be honest I loved that you could play the demo in co-op, that alone almost convinced me to buy one of them, but my friend chickened out buying it so I settled for battlestations pacific instead (another game who's original was an early xbox 360 demo darling with battlestations midway)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is it this generation's Atari Jaguar reference? (there's one for the oldies :D )

I've never played an AC game. I might, might have played a demo of one of them on those Demo CDs you used to get with the official PS1 magazine fado fado...

How does it feel existing while living such an empty life?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Does anyone remember when UBISOFT tried to challenge Ace Combat with those Tom Clany HAWX games?

I'll be honest I loved that you could play the demo in co-op, that alone almost convinced me to buy one of them, but my friend chickened out buying it so I settled for battlestations pacific instead (another game who's original was an early xbox 360 demo darling with battlestations midway)

I played the first one, it was alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Hero or Ninja......choose wisely.

Well, I accept Ninja as the correct term, however, the intro doesn't sound right.

I'm more accustomed to the "Hero Turtles" intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Off topic but, the first film, which was released cut here, was Ninja, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I skimmed that and somehow misread it as Ubisoft tried to challenge Ace Combat with Tony Hawk's games.

Confusion ensued.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MOH wrote: »
    I skimmed that and somehow misread it as Ubisoft tried to challenge Ace Combat with Tony Hawk's games.

Confusion ensued.

Them Tony Hawks games were good for their time but nothing special if you were to play them now.

And just to add I loved Tony Hawk games back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really enjoyed that game. Just the right amount of weirdness and great combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Them Tony Hawks games were good for their time but nothing special if you were to play them now.

And just to add I loved Tony Hawk games back in the day.

Disagree, the recent remake was my number 2 game of the year (above two other remakes, FFVII and RE3)

A game that plays that well is basically timeless imo

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

J. Marston wrote: »

This game deserves a second chance. The marketing for it when it released was terrible and made it seem like the most generic shooter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I want to buy a new game for the few days Easter holidays. It will either be AC Valhalla or Ghost of Tsushima.

I loved the Witcher and Rdr2 and even Skyrim years ago. I didn't really like/couldn't get into AC Unity.

Which game would be the best for me?
    I thinking Got but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

micah537 wrote: »
    I want to buy a new game for the few days Easter holidays. It will either be AC Valhalla or Ghost of Tsushima.

I loved the Witcher and Rdr2 and even Skyrim years ago. I didn't really like/couldn't get into AC Unity.

Which game would be the best for me?
    I thinking Got but not sure

Have you played God of War? That's better than both of the above.

Also if you have Plus, Horizon Zero Dawn is free if you haven't played that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Have you played God of War? That's better than both of the above.

Also if you have Plus, Horizon Zero Dawn is free if you haven't played that?

Don't think HZD is free yet. Think it's sometime in April

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't think HZD is free yet. Think it's sometime in April

Thought I read on the PS thread this morning it was? My mistake if not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Having never played Ghosts, and having played Vahalla most of the way through now, I can safely say that Ghosts is better.

Vahalla is one of the blandest AssCreed games in a while, making mistakes that I thought were removed from the series post origins. It's deeply disappointing.

I saw the world map to Valhalla, fúck that. Pointless bloated busy work.

Ghosts has some of that stuff but is far, far more reserved with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've had it in my Steam library forever and I've no idea how it got there. Should probably play it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Adyx wrote: »
    I've had it in my Steam library forever and I've no idea how it got there. Should probably play it some day.
    I got it from the SEGA Make War Not Love promo in 2016. I think it was cheesy but fun.

The free PS4 theme with Subnautica is very nice.

The free PS4 theme with Subnautica is very nice.

Ah you reminded me it's currently free on PS4 along with some other games.

I saw the world map to Valhalla, fúck that. Pointless bloated busy work.

Ghosts has some of that stuff but is far, far more reserved with it.

It is actually not as bad as the last few AC games, most of the stuff on the map is in some way useful and isn't just endless collectables. GoT is still far better though, I actually wanted to find everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement