Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF7 was faaaaaaar from a perfect game.

But think that the ff7 remake was great in that it took a freshing different take on the game. Like the resident evil remake it differentiated itself enough to be a different experience while not negating the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I fcuking love remnant from the ashes
    there's a boss on a bridge that's a mare
    played it today
    perfect
    I mean perfect
    every dodge, every shot,every move
    perfect
    such a rush

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I fcuking love remnant from the ashes
    there's a boss on a bridge that's a mare
    played it today
    perfect
    I mean perfect
    every dodge, every shot,every move
    perfect
    such a rush

Git gu.... wait a minute :confused:

i wish I'd stay off the internet when I drink, nonetheless I was very proud of myself and no-one in real life cares

gimli2112 wrote: »
    i wish I'd stay off the internet when I drink, nonetheless I was very proud of myself and no-one in real life cares

Not taking away from the achievement. More surprise that you are enjoying a souls like and doing well at it.

• Advertisement

yeah I don't know why but Remnant clicked with me. I only liked Bloodborne from soulslike games but really really loved it, same with this. Maybe it's the guns

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not taking away from the achievement. More surprise that you are enjoying a souls like and doing well at it.

Gimli loves Bloodborne. Did you never see his updates? They were brilliant.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Gimli loves Bloodborne. Did you never see his updates? They were brilliant.

I'm getting confused with the people that hate it and the converts!

Started playing Hollow Knight finally and I'm totally hooked. Just seems like an excellently crafted metroidvania. Looks gorgeous as well. With so many 2D games using that awful mobile phone game aesthetic it's great to see a game with some actual great art direction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Started playing Hollow Knight finally and I'm totally hooked. Just seems like an excellently crafted metroidvania. Looks gorgeous as well. With so many 2D games using that awful mobile phone game aesthetic it's great to see a game with some actual great art direction

It's a spectacular game, but I hope the sequel allows some throttling of its difficulty, and some of its more obtuse / abstract mechanics. I imagine those more use to Dark Souls' intentionally withholding storytelling mightn't have found it so objectionable tho'...

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a spectacular game, but I hope the sequel allows some throttling of its difficulty, and some of its more obtuse / abstract mechanics. I imagine those more use to Dark Souls' intentionally withholding storytelling mightn't have found it so objectionable tho'...

I haven't found it that difficult and don't see too many souls connections. It's mostly standard albeit very good old school japanese boss design. Nothing you wouldn't see in a Konami or Treasure game, although Dark Souls does take a lot from those as well. There's souls elements for sure but I think the team's main influence of Megaman X shines through a lot more. I have played a few of the end game bosses (I got the urge to try the game after helping a friends son through some end game sections).

Think you might be out of luck though with the sequel. I had a look at the video and it looks like a far more technical game with movement and combat abilities tied together. I for one can't wait but I can see it being a little more difficult as a result.

As for the story being abstract, I'm not pushed. It's sets the mood, understanding the story is secondary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love Hollow Knight, and am a firm believer that comparing everything to Dark Souls has become passé... but hard to deny the influence on HK, to be honest. The morbid grandiosity; vague storytelling; decaying grandeur; very particular healing and checkpointing; mysterious NPCs; consistent level of challenge...

I’ve always said one thing, though: Hollow Knight is perhaps the only ‘inspired by Dark Souls’ game that really and truly gets what makes those games special. It’s not just directly lifting mechanics and ideas... it’s about committing wholly to a vision and where it leads. Team Cherry were heavily inspired by From, but they did their own thing with that inspiration... and no other game has quite managed to capture that particular sense of bleak, mysterious beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I absolutely love the Souls series and I love 2D old school modern retro games (or whatever you'd call them) but I couldn't get into Hollow Knight. I mightn't have given it enough of a chance but I got very bored very quickly.

I love Hollow Knight, and am a firm believer that comparing everything to Dark Souls has become passé... but hard to deny the influence on HK, to be honest. The morbid grandiosity; vague storytelling; decaying grandeur; very particular healing and checkpointing; mysterious NPCs; consistent level of challenge...

I’ve always said one thing, though: Hollow Knight is perhaps the only ‘inspired by Dark Souls’ game that really and truly gets what makes those games special. It’s not just directly lifting mechanics and ideas... it’s about committing wholly to a vision and where it leads. Team Cherry were heavily inspired by From, but they did their own thing with that inspiration... and no other game has quite managed to capture that particular sense of bleak, mysterious beauty.

True, I was coming at it more just from the basic gameplay. It's more Megaman X than Dark Souls, whereas something like Dead Cells or Salt and Sanctuary is more dark souls.

I actually much prefer that it's more Megaman X. It's not as punishing either and the controls as a result are so tight that there's no ambiguity when you take damage. It's always your fault (well it always is but you never question it in this game). It's more that if you can't handle Souls games then it shouldn't put you off trying hollow knight.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I absolutely love the Souls series and I love 2D old school modern retro games (or whatever you'd call them) but I couldn't get into Hollow Knight. I mightn't have given it enough of a chance but I got very bored very quickly.

It's got a cold start and takes a long time to get going. The first boss and first few abilities are a good bit into it. Stick with it though, it does just keep getting better and better. I initially bounced off it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

Remnant may be souls with guns, but's it's also fair and FUN. It's souls done right, enjoyable without getting frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I meant Hollow Knight as "Dark Souls" in terms of narrative or world building, its approach to storytelling through abstraction and intentional withholding of information. Not gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Went back to Ori and the will o the wisps last week, Id initially started but dropped off, as it seemed a bit overly difficult, plus a bit less focused than the first one, with the addition of sidequests etc.
    I'm glad I did, that stuff quickly streamlined itself and I'm really enjoying the tight, fast platforming action. The extra skills always seem to come, just as things are feeling a little stale. Highly doubt this is a spoiler, but just in case,
    The water wheel area was really cool, with its switches and levers to rotate the area, and alter the landscape, plus the resulting escape sequence wasn't nearly as punishing as the ones from the first game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Iron Harvest is out today, was hoping to get it but it doesn't look like a gtx 770 will run it :(.

Iron Harvest is out today, was hoping to get it but it doesn't look like a gtx 770 will run it :(.

I tried the beta and even on Low settings my wee gaming laptop struggled. Lots of artifacts and popping assets so I suspect it wasn't widely QA'ed on lower machines. Looks great though, tempted to get it anyways just to reward someone making an epic SP RTS game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I tried the beta and even on Low settings my wee gaming laptop struggled. Lots of artifacts and popping assets so I suspect it wasn't widely QA'ed on lower machines. Looks great though, tempted to get it anyways just to reward someone making an epic SP RTS game.

What card has your laptop got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'd forgotten about that game, cheers for the reminder! Just grabbed it on XBGP for PC.

Went back to Ori and the will o the wisps last week, Id initially started but dropped off, as it seemed a bit overly difficult, plus a bit less focused than the first one, with the addition of sidequests etc.
    I'm glad I did, that stuff quickly streamlined itself and I'm really enjoying the tight, fast platforming action. The extra skills always seem to come, just as things are feeling a little stale. Highly doubt this is a spoiler, but just in case,
    The water wheel area was really cool, with its switches and levers to rotate the area, and alter the landscape, plus the resulting escape sequence wasn't nearly as punishing as the ones from the first game.

Another game I need to get back to, I stopped playing once I got the Witcher 3, but I have finished the main of that game and taking my time with the DLC. Some platform action will be a nice change up

The min spec suggests a GTX 960, the 770 is as good if not slightly better than that card. Might get away with low to mid settings

What card has your laptop got?

It's a bockity old 5 year old Lenovo so it's a ... ahem, and don't laugh ... a GT730M 2 GB :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

giphy.gif

(kidding)

It's a bockity old 5 year old Lenovo so it's a ... ahem, and don't laugh ... a GT730M 2 GB :o:pac:

Untitled-1.png

As a console pleb this makes no sense to me, it like reading Hebrew. :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

tenor.gif?itemid=5540011

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hollow Knight is great but I found it too big. Apparently there are huge amounts to do regarding endings, secret endings and super secret endings. I packed it in after a while despite enjoying it.

• Advertisement

Before I got my current PC I was using an 8yr old Acer laptop with an even crappier GT640m. I put that thing through some torture over the years :D But it occasionally surprised me. Managed to play games like The Witcher 2, World of Tanks, GRID and others that it shouldn't have been capable of, albeit with a LOT of tweaking on the lower end. The thing still runs, it's my back up if anything goes tits up with the PC ... but I would hate having to have to use it now

Advertisement