Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's also on Game Pass as of today.

Loads coming out this month, MS Flight Sim, Resi 7, Spiritfarer, Wasteland 3 to name a few.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/18/coming-soon-to-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-and-console-august-2020-wave-2/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_8.18

• Registered Users Posts: 29,634 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kiith wrote: »

Loads coming out this month, MS Flight Sim, Resi 7, Spiritfarer, Wasteland 3 to name a few.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/18/coming-soon-to-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-and-console-august-2020-wave-2/?ocid=XGP_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_8.18

Uuugghhh damn you sexy gamepass! *Shakes my first at our like a cartoon villain that has gotten away again*

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Kiith wrote: »

PC gamepass is a ridiculous deal at a fiver a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Uuugghhh damn you sexy gamepass! *Shakes my first at our like a cartoon villain that has gotten away again*
    Get an Xbox One dude. Have your PS4/PS5 as your main console and use the Xbox for the gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,634 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Get an Xbox One dude. Have your PS4/PS5 as your main console and use the Xbox for the gamepass.

Tempting but i can't fit another console in my current setup unless i started swapping consoles which would be too messy. I've never been tempted to stray from PlayStation but gamepass seems intel unreal. It's okay though, we have ps now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

PC gamepass is a ridiculous deal at a fiver a month.

First month was just €1 for me, €3.99 from there on, if that deal still exists. I definitely get more value than that from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A XBox One is worth it just to play Ninja Gaiden Black. That game is still incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I hope they stay 'behind'

urdLVES.png
    What a weird thing to post. Are you trolling us robert?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I hope they stay 'behind'

urdLVES.png

When I was playing that game. I honestly thought that was a man until the game mentioned she was female.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Poor girl could use a feed of spuds. She's wasting away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    What a weird thing to post. Are you trolling us robert?
    Since you like it here's an old one I've been adding on to https://i.imgur.com/ZdlVzT9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

J. Marston wrote: »
    Poor girl could use a feed of spuds. She's wasting away.

Might be that she also looks about 12

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Battletoads isn't getting the best reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It looks like pure scutter. Fúck nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This gameplay trailer for an upcoming Chinese developed action game has been getting a bit of coverage the last few days. The Chinese myths and mysticism angle makes a refreshing change.

Nostalgia? The original was a pretty great NES game.

This.... looks like a busy mess and nothing like the original. It's like being going to see the Colin Farrell Total Recall because you are nostalgic for the original.

Since you like it here's an old one I've been adding on to https://i.imgur.com/ZdlVzT9.jpg
    As long as you're having fun I guess!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This.... looks like a busy mess and nothing like the original. It's like being going to see the Colin Farrell Total Recall because you are nostalgic for the original.

Was it? Cos the only thing I could tell you about the original was the infamy of that racing level, which seems to dictate a lot of the nostalgic chatter. Otherwise what made that NES game distinct? Just a tight beat em up?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Was it? Cos the only thing I could tell you about the original was the infamy of that racing level, which seems to dictate a lot of the nostalgic chatter. Otherwise what made that NES game distinct? Just a tight beat em up?

It's a bit like Contra. The difficulty is blown way out of proportion. That's not to say the speeder section isn't tough, it is, but there's also a very easy to find warp zone during it to cut it short and it's perfectly beatable and hugely satisfying when you do. There are tougher NES games and also ones that are just plain unfair where Battletoads never is.

As a NES game it's one of the better third party games. The core beat'em up action is really fun and the sections outside of that are all really inventive. It's also a technical tour de force for the system and just a really solidly made game.

It's being sold on the back of nostalgia and people's fondness for the original.

Also, there's a big difference between going back to watch a classic movie and going back to play a classic game - you only have to sit back and watch a movie, you have to actually interact with a game that most likely has completely outdated and clunky controls and graphics that are mostly likely completely terrible compared to how you remember.

• Advertisement

It's being sold on the back of nostalgia and people's fondness for the original.

Also, there's a big difference between going back to watch a classic movie and going back to play a classic game - you only have to sit back and watch a movie, you have to actually interact with a game that most likely has completely outdated and clunky controls and graphics that are mostly likely completely terrible compared to how you remember.

I was kind of agreeing with you. I doubt fans of the original Battletoads are going to look at this and get nostalgic, it looks like it captures nothing of what made that game great.

As for going back to old games, I believe a good game will never age just like a good film. I'd rather play Megaman 2 or even battletoads over most of the triple A games from the last 5 years.

I was kind of agreeing with you. I doubt fans of the original Battletoads are going to look at this and get nostalgic, it looks like it captures nothing of what made that game great.

As for going back to old games, I believe a good game will never age just like a good film. I'd rather play Megaman 2 or even battletoads over most of the triple A games from the last 5 years.

Revisiting the likes of Battletoads or Megaman would hold zero interest for me. Enjoyed them at the time but they're in the past for me. Any time I've booted up old games from my youth thinking they were going to be just as good as I remembered them, it has been a colossal disappointment. I'm not a huge fan of triple AAA franchises at the moment - most are tired and repetitive at this stage - but I'd still rather boot up a game from at least the last decade because I know that, generally, the controls are going to be easy enough to use and the user interface is going to be decent enough. There's plenty to play beyond your standard triple franchises to keep anyone busy.

Tbh, a good chunk of my playing time is squads with my kids in Fortnite because with them on a Switch each and me on the PS, we can all sit on the couch playing together. It's the best fun I've had gaming in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

that does sound like fun, except of course you have to play Fortnite

I find you can enjoy any mediocre games multiplayer depending on the company and have a ball.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    that does sound like fun, except of course you have to play Fortnite

Fortnite is just the handiest game for us all to be able to play together because it's cross-platform and it's free. It's more about having a laugh with the kids than anything else. It can be fairly addictive though because the rounds are generally only ever about a quarter of an hour long so it's easy to get stuck in that 'ah, one more game' loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can't really stand BR. There's a bunch of unnecessary RNG looting between fights. Watching my friend sometimes she's just drestroying objects and looking for new weapons for 10 minutes. Prefer to get right to the damn fighting and with everyone having equal access to weapons. Can only stand long waits between engagements in something like mili sims because it's about position control rather than kills or shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Such a waste, it could have been something decent, even going for that style someone like the scott pilgrim devs would have done a better job

Coming out after games like Streets of Rage 4 is especially embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Question about SimplyGames. Does anyone know if you pre-order a game from them that you will get it on release day? Thanking you in advance (as Roman Bellic would say).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tbf, you've stated repeatedly on here that you've abdicated completely from the adult world and I'm pretty sure you said in another thread that you would rather live fulll time in a fantasy world so you'd hardly be indicative of the average 37 year old.

For me, the exaggerated sexuality of some of the female characters in the Arkham games is toe-curling.

I never claimed to be indicative of the "average" 37 year old (might have as well said "normal"). Never. If anything, I always claim to be the opposite of what is considered "normal" or, your word, "average". But, and this is not directed straight at you, but at everyone arguing this point in general, why is it that you can have your opinion and demands of what is featured in games (made up things), but my view or wants are wrong in some way? A born male can be multiple genders, but theres something possibly wrong with me for wanting T&A in some games?

As someone else pointed out, most DC female characters have sexualised origins in either writing or description. People now want this toned down because why? We're a more woke world? It doesn't suit your own agenda because you've "grown up"? I agree, there are some games out there that are too much, mostly the aforementioned Japanese games which do spend a lot of time focusing on dodgy sexual territory of underage (by Western standards) girls/women in games. But that has been explained, regardless of how you feel about it.

Tell me, what could Catwoman wear, while being a cat burglar? Loose clothes? Wouldn't work out too well for her. And yes, sex still sells, its still all around us but ever so slightly hidden from general masses because of reactions like this, and the intent to make others feel bad or wrong for what they enjoy. Look at teenage fashion. Go near a young ones nightclub (ie: mostly 18/19 and definitely some 16/17 year olds who get in). Its worse than what is in western sexualised games. At least the women in the Arkham games were all 18+, whereas in real life thats not always the case, even here in Ireland.

So have your view, but jump down off that soap box of what is right and wrong. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Stop judging. Do your thing, let others do theirs. Have your view, but don't be putting others down for their views. We've evolved as a race somewhat, but some still feel the need to tell others how to live their lives, or what they should/shouldn't be into/like.

Just for note, if the next Arkham game had full nudity just for the sake of it, I too would think its too much, but there was nothing in the Arkham games that I hadn't more or less seen in the animated Batman series as a child. Just more realistic looking.

• Advertisement

Tell me, what could Catwoman wear, while being a cat burglar?
    Probably whatever the artist,producer or director decides she should wear......

Advertisement