Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought most story driven games these days use motion capture by the voice actors. Days Gone, Uncharted, God of War... Maybe it's mostly Sony thing?

Sony would have the big bucks.

But mostly these guys are animation or anime dubbers and the way they work is in a booth by themselves without the other actor. It's a testament to how good they are that they can come across convincing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,630 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Damn Sony taking all our ps plus sub money and spending it on mo cap and review scores.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Going back to something from a few days ago... playing the excellent CrossCode at the moment and it does remind me of my increasingly tricky relationship with retro games.

I can watch films from any era with nary a bother, but gotta be honest I find it harder and hard to go back to old games. A lot of my favourite games are from generations gone, and there’s definitely lots of exceptional ones I can still play and enjoy wholeheartedly. But I feel the very language and vocabulary of games - everything from the basic controls (seriously - older 3D games from the PS1 / N64 era often feel nigh-on unplayable now) - have evolved and become second nature to me that it’s hard to go backwards. It’s easy of course to see ways which games have regressed or oversimplified in the quest for quality of life improvements... but countless ways they’re just so much smoother and less abrasive to play these days too. Even masterfully difficult games like Dark Souls or Cuphead IMO have many modern sensibilities behind their challenging and in some ways old-school design. I love a challenge in gaming, but I just don’t find the MegaMan school of challenge (for example) at all appealing any more.

So playing CrossCode - which is a slicker, faster, more welcoming take on the classic JRPG without sacrificing mechanical, challenge or systemic depth - it’s just a reminder of how tricky it’d be to go back to many of the games that inspired it. As sacrilegious as it may seem, I find the save states and rewind functions on the likes of the Switch or the speed up button in the FF rereleases ways that truly make some older games tolerable and enjoyable through a modern perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

First trailer for the Dragon's Dogma anime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Going back to something from a few days ago... playing the excellent CrossCode at the moment and it does remind me of my increasingly tricky relationship with retro games.

I can watch films from any era with nary a bother, but gotta be honest I find it harder and hard to go back to old games. A lot of my favourite games are from generations gone, and there’s definitely lots of exceptional ones I can still play and enjoy wholeheartedly. But I feel the very language and vocabulary of games - everything from the basic controls (seriously - older 3D games from the PS1 / N64 era often feel nigh-on unplayable now) - have evolved and become second nature to me that it’s hard to go backwards. It’s easy of course to see ways which games have regressed or oversimplified in the quest for quality of life improvements... but countless ways they’re just so much smoother and less abrasive to play these days too. Even masterfully difficult games like Dark Souls or Cuphead IMO have many modern sensibilities behind their challenging and in some ways old-school design. I love a challenge in gaming, but I just don’t find the MegaMan school of challenge (for example) at all appealing any more.

So playing CrossCode - which is a slicker, faster, more welcoming take on the classic JRPG without sacrificing mechanical, challenge or systemic depth - it’s just a reminder of how tricky it’d be to go back to many of the games that inspired it. As sacrilegious as it may seem, I find the save states and rewind functions on the likes of the Switch or the speed up button in the FF rereleases ways that truly make some older games tolerable and enjoyable through a modern perspective.

Not gotten that far in it then, because it gets way more annoying than any old game later on.

• Advertisement

Anyone play PGA 2K21? I always like the idea of a relaxing Golf Game and the Golf Club games were great (in theory) but the putting was Dark Souls like :pac:

This looks a tad easier but can't find proper comparing the this and Golf Club 2019. We had some great rounds on Golf Club 2 on the Boards Society with lads on here but the putting killed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Isn't PGA 2K21 just The Golf Club rebranded? I've not looked too much into it but I remember hearing that a few months ago. I'll pick it up in a few months no doubt. Getting 10 under+ every round gets a bit old so hopefully they make it harder not easier

Isn't PGA 2K21 just The Golf Club rebranded? I've not looked too much into it but I remember hearing that a few months ago. I'll pick it up in a few months no doubt. Getting 10 under+ every round gets a bit old so hopefully they make it harder not easier

Yupp, 2K took over and splashed lots of MTX at it. I always found the putting to be all over the place, very hard to be consistent so if I heard it's still the same in this, it would be an instant pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone play PGA 2K21? I always like the idea of a relaxing Golf Game and the Golf Club games were great (in theory) but the putting was Dark Souls like :pac:

This looks a tad easier but can't find proper comparing the this and Golf Club 2019. We had some great rounds on Golf Club 2 on the Boards Society with lads on here but the putting killed it for me.

I was going to pick it up but there only seems to have a very limited number of licensed pros and courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭recyclops

i cant see any reason to pick it up over the golf club games that i already have tbh. IGN review says they did make it slightly more accessible but still resembles a sim

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    i cant see any reason to pick it up over the golf club games that i already have tbh. IGN review says they did make it slightly more accessible but still resembles a sim

I completely forgot i have a week trial for ps now and golf club 2019 is on that. Might be worth a go as i only played GC 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I completely forgot i have a week trial for ps now and golf club 2019 is on that. Might be worth a go as i only played GC 2.
    Is there any multiplayer in GC 2? If there is maybe we can have a round sometime :)

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Is there any multiplayer in GC 2? If there is maybe we can have a round sometime :)

I sold it long ago but the live rounds with lads on here was a great laugh.

Anyone play Puss! on steam.

It's complete bat**** insanity but also a really fun simple game. I'd recommend it and recommend going in cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Jesus. It gets worse.

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone see the new Black ops trailer? It has an uncanny valley accurate version of Ronald Reagan in the game. It got me to thinking, what would be the story there with Using his likeness? would they have to have ran that by his family / estate, or are historical figures fair game? and if so, I assume theres some sort of decency limit to what can legally be done?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There shouldn’t be any need to get permission. Not an expert on this topic, but a late historical figure surely is fair game for representation - look how many unflattering portrayals of Richard Nixon are out there. Heck, there are plenty of unauthorised fictional portrayals of living people too (The Social Network, for example).

Also: anything that had the blessing of the Reagan estate would be something that would immediately set off the loudest alarm bells possible regarding its politics :p Curious to see if his presence here is just window dressing or something substantial to the storytelling. It is CoD so one would not be optimistic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it can depend? I wanna say sports stars often have their likeness' copyrighted, IIRC the footballer Messi was in some legal bother over that a few years ago. So if I'm right there are cases where if you don't have permission you could be in legal trouble, but it's probably not relevant for public figures. This is America though and given you can file a lawsuit over anything, if the Reagan Estate felt suitably aggrieved they might be tempted to sue. He is practically worshipped by a large chunk of the US population.

Funny though, as I was more curious about the suspiciously Robert Redford looking character in the trailer - I don't think it is meant to be him, and maybe it was just me, but he looked very like a younger version. An actor, like a sports star, might be protective of unlicensed use of their likeness.

It's not the first time CoD has done this. Patrick McNamara was featured heavily in black Ops and not in a flattering light. JFK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I got my 2060 back, installing flight sim sure is an ordeal. I think I will spend more time on this downloading screen than I actually spend looking for the places I've lived.

In fact I'm pretty sure I could fly to them all in real time and it would be faster lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »

Funny though, as I was more curious about the suspiciously Robert Redford looking character in the trailer - I don't think it is meant to be him, and maybe it was just me, but he looked very like a younger version. An actor, like a sports star, might be protective of unlicensed use of their likeness.

I thought he was a strange mix of Brad Pitt and Robert Redford.
    They do a great trailer in fairness to them, hopefully overall the game package as a whole is as substantial as Modern Warfare's entry. I've never been a zombies fan myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought he was a strange mix of Brad Pitt and Robert Redford.
    They do a great trailer in fairness to them, hopefully overall the game package as a whole is as substantial as Modern Warfare's entry. I've never been a zombies fan myself.

Ha, right I see it as I look again. Which further asks about likenesses as coincidentally, Redford & Pitt co-starred as Cold War CIA(?) spies in "Spy Game", an old(!) 2001 film from Tony Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Some games still hold up. I got a gpd xd+ last year to kill time travelling. Replayed resident evil, got some classic GBA games too. I found resident evil great for a replay but no way would I replay Final Fantasy 7, good for the time but the thought of that grind. No thanks. Those classic animated games like Zelda are timeless. 3D is tricker but there are some good ones. It depends what you are willing to tolerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Some games still hold up. I got a gpd xd+ last year to kill time travelling. Replayed resident evil, got some classic GBA games too. I found resident evil great for a replay but no way would I replay Final Fantasy 7, good for the time but the thought of that grind. No thanks. Those classic animated games like Zelda are timeless. 3D is tricker but there are some good ones. It depends what you are willing to tolerate.

I found both the original RE and original FF7 fun to play again last year although for FF7 the fast forward and skipping battles are a must. I love the fact that classic games on the switch have a quick save option, I don't think they take anything away from old games as they are just allowing for how gaming has changed. Zelda a link to the past still holds up amazingly well today. I think if a game is a masterpiece then it's always a masterpiece, the original ps1 Tombraider is hard to play today but it's still a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Original FF7 is my all time Favourite Game.
    As a result I wouldnt touch the remake. impossible to live up to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Parsnips wrote: »

The remake (for the most part) is actually a faithful enough recreation, FF7 is my favourite game also.

My only concern is with the "Fates" the shadows that appear in the game, they have a smell of Kingdom Hearts BS off it.

It's meant to be a very good game. Just give it a go. You might like it. And it also doesn't negate the fact that the original exists and can still be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've never understood this attitude that some people have with remakes. I really enjoyed the FF7 remake but love the original more. The fact that the remake exists doesn't take anything away from the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Greyfox wrote: »
    I've never understood this attitude that some people have with remakes. I really enjoyed the FF7 remake but love the original more. The fact that the remake exists doesn't take anything away from the original.

Game remakes don't bother me near as much as movie remakes. Some of those are just downright pointless. With games it makes more sense I think, in that you're getting much the same experience but with [usually] better graphics, higher fps, a smoother overall experience. They often use the same voice actors and stay faithful enough to the look and feel of the game. With movies they often completely change the mood/feel of the original with a whole new cast, director, producer etc Reckon many more gamers would be pee'd off if they did same in the game world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It wasn't a remake but the biggest crime against a game's artistic integrity and vision has got to be the Silent Hill HD collection.

Which is in general why I'm against touching old titles most of the time. Just make new stuff, even if it's very similar. I think a remake or remaster are OK only if there was a ton of glitches in the original or some deal-breaker jankyness. Unfortunately the things that actually need remasters and remakes often don't get them; they're picked on their profitability instead of their need. I mean FF7... it wasn't remade to fix anything or expand on it. It's considered almost a perfect game. It's remake is purely to capitalise on their most famous title. They already added quicksaves and quality of life features people liked in later versions of the original. Honestly a solid PC versions from the start is all you really need. They age better.

They'll never remake or remaster Biohazard Outbreak series. Something that desperately needs a PC version with custom servers and no loading screens. But there's just not enough money in it so screw it. Let's lose the source code again!

Advertisement