Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Parsnips wrote: »
    Thanks all for the "Portia" recommendation. Started it last night.....Checked out a few reviews online and all good scores.......So far it seems to be good and very relaxing but I can see it needs to time put in.

Somehow I had never heard of this game up until yesterday. strange

I picked it up on a whim not knowing anything about and enjoyed it immensely, it helps that I love these kinds of games, anything where have to make parts to make something else, was looking at getting Satisfactory next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've wanted to play Satisfactory for a while, but my PC isn't up to spec (have the min CPU but GPU is lacking). So I might take a spin on Portia, for €13 it should be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just a note on My time at Portia, anyone with Game pass can play it for free. I never actually tried it myself just knew it was oft suggested as a nice alternative to the likes of Animal crossing. Might give it a go, not sure it's my cuppa but I'll try anything once.

Whoever it was brought up Hollow Knight yesterday btw ... thanks for the hairs I've pulled out since :D Tidy little platformer but can be so unforgiving! Especially for someone like me with poor spatial awareness/sense of direction - found it a bit frustrating until I got the first map marker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've wanted to play Satisfactory for a while, but my PC isn't up to spec (have the min CPU but GPU is lacking). So I might take a spin on Portia, for €13 it should be worth it.

Geforce Now supports Satisfactory, if you have that service :)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/games/

Should not have bought Portia... It's one of those games that thrives on "just one more little 5 min job", and then it's 4 hours later. It's Stardew Valley x Minecraft with better graphics. I've never played an animal crossing game, but if this is what they're like, I can see why they're popular. Already worth the €13 it cost.

• Advertisement

Should not have bought Portia... It's one of those games that thrives on "just one more little 5 min job", and then it's 4 hours later. It's Stardew Valley x Minecraft with better graphics. I've never played an animal crossing game, but if this is what they're like, I can see why they're popular. Already worth the €13 it cost.

I started it up last night, as I said earlier not really my cuppa but ... 2hrs later I had to force myself to quit out and go to bed :D

Couple of quirky irritations for me - the map for one, it's reverse/upseidedown to what I'm used to in games, must see if there's settings to change that - also, a load screen because I go through a door?? in 2020?? ok, minor complaints but they ruin the flow a little for me. Also find the build aspect a little clunky but that'll just take getting used to. I initially had it installed to my back up HDD and it was slow ... the load screens were taking an age, so I moved it to the main SSD [as it's a fairly small sized game overall] and that sped things up nicely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's exactly the kind of game it is, like factorio.

Where did you get it for 13? I'm tempted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Where did you get it for 13? I'm tempted. :D

It is currently on sale on the PSN store.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Xenji wrote: »
    It is currently on sale on the PSN store.

Stop reminding me ;(

• Advertisement

:P:P:P:P
    I know. seriously addictive stuff.
    I slowed the day down in the settings... Makes it much more relaxed. But then I had to speed the day all the way up again because I was impatient waiting on copper bars.
    I have to say...Its the exact, relaxing chilled out game I was looking for.
    My wife must be looking at me thinking WTF is he on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

That's exactly the kind of game it is, like factorio.

I'm on about my 4th run through Factorio and haven't "finished" yet. Always get to a point where I start running low on steel and circuit boards and decide to start again but plan better this time.

When it happened again last night I decided I needed a break and do something completely different. Played about 30 minutes of CS:GO and then kicked off a new run through Satisfactory, which I swore I wouldn't do until the next major update.

And now I have to try My Time in Portia ? There's no hope for me.

@Potential-Monke
    Satistfactory has gotten a lot smoother over the last few updates. I've a 5-year-old build with a Xeon E3-1230v3 and a 2GB GTX 770 and it runs fine at 1080p, bar the occasional slowdown which I think is related to autosaves. You might get away with it.

Parsnips wrote: »
    :P:P:P:P
    I know. seriously addictive stuff.
    I slowed the day down in the settings... Makes it much more relaxed. But then I had to speed the day all the way up again because I was impatient waiting on copper bars.
    I have to say...Its the exact, relaxing chilled out game I was looking for.
    My wife must be looking at me thinking WTF is he on :)

Ooh, never thought of checking for such an option, will be doing that when I next play, days were definitely way too short - cheers

When I was awaiting square blocks having a sleep sped that up, good to know you can switch it up and down as needed

MOH wrote: »
    @Potential-Monke
    Satistfactory has gotten a lot smoother over the last few updates. I've a 5-year-old build with a Xeon E3-1230v3 and a 2GB GTX 770 and it runs fine at 1080p, bar the occasional slowdown which I think is related to autosaves. You might get away with it.

I have a HD 7850 v2, it's the minimum I believe, and the CPU is still great apparantly (i5 3570k). I might try it at some stage, but Portia has my attention now, and I can't see me stopping anytime soon!

I have a HD 7850 v2, it's the minimum I believe, and the CPU is still great apparantly (i5 3570k). I might try it at some stage, but Portia has my attention now, and I can't see me stopping anytime soon!

Portia is actually a little more demanding than meets the eye, with everything up full ultra it slows up a bit on my Ryzen 2600x + GTX 1660 [6GB card] with 16GB of 3200 RAM. I was surprised by this as I can run the likes of the Witcher 3 on Ultra with less fuss. Shadows will be the main culprit I'd say, chop them first, then anything motion blur related

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

525233.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Does anyone know why Stardew Valley is not currently available in the Irish PS Store?

With all the talk of Portia, I want to get a similar game so i was going to get Stardew Valley as it's playable on the Vita. Seems like a perfect fit for it.

It's not available on the PS Store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Stardew Valley is not currently available in the Irish PS Store?

With all the talk of Portia, I want to get a similar game so i was going to get Stardew Valley as it's playable on the Vita. Seems like a perfect fit for it.

It's not available on the PS Store though.

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1290024053529432064

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1293633476596400128

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thanks. Very annoying!

I have to get Portia now but think those type of games are a better fit for handhelds.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Thanks. Very annoying!

I have to get Portia now but think those type of games are a better fit for handhelds.

I think Stardew would be nice on hand-held but not so sure about Portia, it's not that more basic graphical style with the overhead view, it's full on 3D adventure style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

POrtia is basically crack cocaine, the type of game where you will try to pick plants for a neighbour and then find yourself building a forge because you were diistracted.

The crafting times are stupid tho.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    POrtia is basically crack cocaine, the type of game where you will try to pick plants for a neighbour and then find yourself building a forge because you were diistracted.

The crafting times are stupid tho.

Yes.. I am realising that Portia is a serious Drug.
    You know when a game is good when you spend your time in work thinking about what your going to do in game later. I love when I get a game like that.

I got to the 2nd ruined temple last night and got so much new material and now the pain of not being able to enhance it until I upgrade.

THE PAIN;)

I just spotted that it's 11 euro in the humble store... So curse ye all! :D

I just spotted that it's 11 euro in the humble store... So curse ye all! :D

Free is better :P

Well, ok, not really free as I'm only 'renting' on XBGP but that's only 3.99 p.m.

I remember when I used to physically rent games from the likes of Xtra vision or Chartbusters, €5 a pop for one game for 2 nights. They would do specials like 3 games for the weekend for a tenner, but still much more expensive than these days - we're spoiled really

Free is better :P

Well, ok, not really free as I'm only 'renting' on XBGP but that's only 3.99 p.m.

I remember when I used to physically rent games from the likes of Xtra vision or Chartbusters, €5 a pop for one game for 2 nights. They would do specials like 3 games for the weekend for a tenner, but still much more expensive than these days - we're spoiled really

I don't really mind lobbing money at smaller companies. One thing I would say is, with all the improved pricing, particularly on pc for me has resulted in me buying a lot of games I normally wouldn't. Like I can't fathom why games piracy still exists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't really mind lobbing money at smaller companies. One thing I would say is, with all the improved pricing, particularly on pc for me has resulted in me buying a lot of games I normally wouldn't. Like I can't fathom why games piracy still exists.

I remember free homebrew like happy wheels and doujin stuff from Japan being popular with kids that had a pc 10 to 20 years ago but couldn't afford games. That and runescape.

Now you just need a epic account or else play a freemiun game.

Started Crosscode the other night as it was on Gamepass and someone mentioned it being great here recently. I wasn't impressed in the early going but by tonight I'm hooked. I love that the plot is you playing an mmo without any of the rubbish grind :D

The trials in the monastery can **** right off though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

More Crash 4...

Really like the cutscenes. They have the Pixar-ish look with really expressive animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »
    More Crash 4...

Really like the cutscenes. They have the Pixar-ish look with really expressive animation.

They're really throwing a lot into the game. My worry at this stage is that they f*ck with the formula too much like Crash 3 and it becomes a pain in the hole to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    More Crash 4...

Hoping the humour is better than Ratchet and Clank which I find grating.

This video however is both incredibly try hard pandering while also managing to be inclusive. It's tough to balance that and I actually really liked it and gives me hope the developers can keep the humour up throughout.

Advertisement