Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesports

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It can still be manually tuned in, if you’re inclined. They did say they’ve plans to put the ROI version in HD at a later date - with Premier Sports (re-) entering the Irish market in their own right and FreeSports due to become available on eir Vision on 1st August, I could see them putting Irish advertising at a later date - they are an Irish company after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

There has been Irish advertising on the FreeSports ROI version for about a month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

When is this due to arrive on freesat?

Confirmation it will be after Sky's launch (15th July)

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/freesports-confirms-hd-freesat-channel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

There has been Irish advertising on the FreeSports ROI version for about a month or so

Pain in the backside, Irish advertising, that's why Freesports HD wont be on ROI Sky Epg and it's also why we only have CH4 in standard def. Cant see them paying for extra transponder space to create ROI HD versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Some difference in quality between freesports on sky epg on channel 429 and the HD version in other channels even the Uk SD version is better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The HD on Virgin media in the UK averages 8.3 mbps, whether the satellite stream will be the same is unknown unless someone has a way of measuring the test broadcast.

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=C060&pid=3006&live=209&lang=fr

subjectively it feels comparable with Quest HD which is 9.2 mbps at 1920 x 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The HD on Virgin media in the UK averages 8.3 mbps, whether the satellite stream will be the same is unknown unless someone has a way of measuring the test broadcast.

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=C060&pid=3006&live=209&lang=fr

subjectively it feels comparable with Quest HD which is 9.2 mbps at 1920 x 1080.

My PC pulls up to 9.2Mb/s from my TV server when tuned to Freesports HD using FTA tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

galtee boy wrote: »
    Pain in the backside, Irish advertising, that's why Freesports HD wont be on ROI Sky Epg and it's also why we only have CH4 in standard def. Cant see them paying for extra transponder space to create ROI HD versions.

I'd have thought the reason why it's not on the Irish EPG is because they can't geoblock the FTA stream when the rugby is on.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd have thought the reason why it's not on the Irish EPG is because they can't geoblock the FTA stream when the rugby is on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if that's the reason, why haven't they a problem with the standard def version on 429 when the rugby will be on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if that's the reason, why haven't they a problem with the standard def version on 429 when the rugby will be on ?

The Freesports on the Irish EPG is encrypted. Its not the same one that they have on UK EPG's which is FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Surely answer if you live in ROI is to get a Freesat box and get UK Freesat HD FTA. That's what I would do. Living in NI I get Feesat both via an aerial and Sky.

Surely answer if you live in ROI is to get a Freesat box and get UK Freesat HD FTA. That's what I would do. Living in NI I get Feesat both via an aerial and Sky.

Every home should have a Freesat box

They do. They’ve been blocking it ever since FreeSports went on the Irish EPG (Pro14 that is - they also have the Leinster Senior Schools Cup in their own right which is not blocked). It’s why they very quickly pulled the UK version when it was put on the Irish EPG originally and there was a bit of a delay before the separate ROI version launched.

Interesting news about the separate ROI advertising - I expect Premier to start chasing more ROI rights over the next while particularly once the separate Irish Premier Sports starts on August 1st. Also now that they can play out separate programming I’d maybe expect them to fill those Pro14 slots with alternative programming.

icdg wrote: »
    They do. They’ve been blocking it ever since FreeSports went on the Irish EPG (Pro14 that is - they also have the Leinster Senior Schools Cup in their own right which is not blocked). It’s why they very quickly pulled the UK version when it was put on the Irish EPG originally and there was a bit of a delay before the separate ROI version launched.

Interesting news about the separate ROI advertising - I expect Premier to start chasing more ROI rights over the next while particularly once the separate Irish Premier Sports starts on August 1st. Also now that they can play out separate programming I’d maybe expect them to fill those Pro14 slots with alternative programming.

Ok, thanks everyone for the replies, it all makes sense now.

EPG now including Freesports HD and it's now on Sky UK EPG at Ch 422 I think. Humax boxes may update tonight.

EPG now including Freesports HD and it's now on Sky UK EPG at Ch 422 I think. Humax boxes may update tonight.

Already on Freesat at 252.

That's SD, pay attention :)

Well on my Humax, Freesports HD is on 252 since this morning and there is no sign of the SD version. You can check your own box when you get a chance and prove me wrong.

I'm using a Manhattan box, looks like you got updated unusually quickly- apparently Tuesday 3 Am in the typical update for this. Anyway I'll reboot and see what happens

edit - nope still SD on 252.

Weirdly when I pick the channel on the Freesat list at 252 and then flick to FTA Freesports HD it also shows 252! So if I try to return to Freesports SD it doesn't change but if I go via another channel then it does show 252 in SD again...Schrodinger's station at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Advertisement

In HD in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Ye, just did a Freesat retune on the humax foxsat,
    FreeSports HD now on 252

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Nice to see Freesports HD has finally arrived .What would be nice to see The Horror Channel and Yesterday go HD

Any time now would be good for an apology 😎😎😎.

Soooooooooooooooo sorry :)

Soooooooooooooooo sorry :)

Only a bit of banter, hope you get Freesports HD up and running on your Manhattan.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Nice to see Freesports HD has finally arrived .What would be nice to see The Horror Channel and Yesterday go HD[/quote

The priority should be getting channel 4 HD back ]

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

Freesports gone from Sky Ireland today.

Anyone know if its permanent?

Apparently so. They are saying it is due to viewing figures. It may be more realistically to do with Premier Sports needing the extra EPG position for LaLiga TV. Still available on eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can it be tuned in under other channels in HD?

It is still FTA HD.

Advertisement