Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards.ie Extremely Right-Wing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sure G, but IMHO anyway, I think it better to shine a light on daftness, rather than ignore, or worse censure/censor it. If we do the latter, it all too often gives too much succour to the conspiracy nuts. And then where would we be? That's one reason why I'm so against the German law(and general objection) against any critique of this part of history. The truth will out, so let it.

I was just going to say BOOM to your previous post but this one I quoted said it so much better than I ever could:D

And all off the top of the head I presume..haha

Edit:I really would like if you called me out on any sh1t I post too its would be really appriciated:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Saw this on Twitter comparing Boards.ie to Stormfront.

*Takes a look at boards.ie to see if it's still stormfront-lite*
    Ah, so they've just ditched the "lite"

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/884753135893446656

Stormfront is basically an extreme right wing, white nationalist, white supremacist, neo Nazi website.

My feeling about Boards is that it is actually not Right Wing at all.  In fact, many posters are strongly, and rightly, against any kind of Neo-Nazi or White Supermacist/Nationalist views.

Would anyone on here even admit to being in agreement with White Supremacy?

Where does this reputation come from?

Someone crying wolf yet again, just last week on the Barcelona terrorism attack thread, one particular poster was accusing some other people on that thread of " white supremacy " among other things, despite the fact from reading people,s posts on the thread no one tried to talk about nor promote such stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't agree with people who say that AH mods are biased in favour of those expressing left-wing views. I've been banned from After Hours twice in the last year, for making what were intended as harmless, throwaway jokes (the kind of thing you do on After Hours, basically). The mods misinterpreted both posts as being deadly serious (even though one of them was in a joke thread) and I was given a 24 and 48 hour ban. Whether those bans were fair or not is irrelevant (as is your opinion on it, so please don't bother). The point I'm making is that if the mods were in any way prone to giving preferential treatment to left-leaning posters, I would have (at the very least) been given the benefit of the doubt on at least one of those occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I'll give it a go...

Clearly you do. All too clearly.

Hate to break it to you Ted, but that's precisely what debate means. I suspect that may rankle, but there it is.

You Sir are woefully ignorant on the matter. Sonderzoge(SP?) were a specific type of train and train schedule. Look it up. Read more. Get out of your own head space.

Actually "we" don't. That's the space where the muppet deniers and the muppet exaggerators live. Natural causes. Fcuk me. :rolleyes:

Your "argument" and I use the term loosely - like how politicians approach the term "argument" - is predicated on your previously demonstrated ignorance of the matter. Belsen was constantly populated by new arrivals. This was happening as the whole edifice of Nazism was crumbling around them. Especially then. they had new arrivals and older denizens, hence the disparity. A disparity that was noted at the time. Again in about the most documented and observed camp of all.

Only if you're woefully misinformed. There are. I never saw. I'm no grammar nazi(I bloody despise the type and avoid them in company), but your grasp of language is indicative of your grasp of well recorded pretty objective history.

To be fair S, you can find that broscience/chickthink at either end of the spectrum.

At least here we are in some agreement. I have zero issue with examining that period of time. I most certainly have objections to the more recent and increasing objection to any questioning, even legal restrictions in doing so(EG in Germany itself). However that doesn't mean we should go full retard.

Instead of writing a long winded reply to your nonsensical post.

I will just post this Jewish woman story, she is better placed to know. She was a Jewish prisoner Belsen in 1944.

Marika Frank Abrams, a Jewish woman from Hungary, was transferred from Auschwitz in 1944. Years later she recalled her arrival at Belsen: "... We were each given two blankets and a dish. There was running water and latrines. We were given food that was edible and didn't have to stand for hours to be counted. The conditions were so superior to Auschwitz we felt we were practically in a sanitarium." /3

Nazis gave them three meals a day!
    Inmates normally received three meals a day. Coffee and bread were served in the morning and evening, with cheese and sausage as available. The main mid-day meal consisted of one liter of vegetable stew. Families lived together. Otherwise, men and women were housed in separate barracks. /4

Children were also held there. There were some 500 Jewish children in Belsen's "No. 1 Women's Camp" section when British forces arrived. /5

Her account supports what i said ( the photographs appear to show healthy looking Jewish people at Belsen) are you right wing nutters going to claim this Jewish woman is denying the holocust?

Reasons for the deaths at Belsen.
    early February 1945 a large transport of Hungarian Jews was admitted while the disinfection facility was out of order. As a result, typhus broke out and quickly spread beyond control. The worst killer was typhus, but typhoid fever and dysentery also claimed many lives

I think in all fairness boards is moderated to a left(centre left) standard but a lot of the posters are free to express right(centre right) opinions.

The majority of posters IMHO are left leaning but obviously when stuff like Islamic terrorism happens right wing views are more prevalent,nothing wrong with that.

The extreme seems to be coming from re-regs and the left leaning posters latch onto these views(and ignore more moderate right wing views) and project it onto all other posters who are right leaning giving the impression of a far right bias forum when this really isnt the case.

This is all in my humble opinion,which like arseholes we all have one.

IMHO boards is straight down the middle right now and when I joined last year was more left and now is shifting more right...just like society is in general.....
    Good job Boards.ie...yis are not far off the attitudes of the people.

• Advertisement

Instead of writing a long winded reply to your nonsensical post.

I will just post this Jewish woman story, she is better placed to know. She was a Jew prisoner Belsen in 1944.

Marika Frank Abrams, a Jewish woman from Hungary, was transferred from Auschwitz in 1944. Years later she recalled her arrival at Belsen: "... We were each given two blankets and a dish. There was running water and latrines. We were given food that was edible and didn't have to stand for hours to be counted. The conditions were so superior to Auschwitz we felt we were practically in a sanitarium." /3

Nazis gave them three meals a day!
    Inmates normally received three meals a day. Coffee and bread were served in the morning and evening, with cheese and sausage as available. The main mid-day meal consisted of one liter of vegetable stew. Families lived together. Otherwise, men and women were housed in separate barracks. /4

Children were also held there. There were some 500 Jewish children in Belsen's "No. 1 Women's Camp" section when British forces arrived. /5

Her account supports what i said!

Reasons for the deaths at Belsen.
    early February 1945 a large transport of Hungarian Jews was admitted while the disinfection facility was out of order. As a result, typhus broke out and quickly spread beyond control. The worst killer was typhus, but typhoid fever and dysentery also claimed many lives

You are a lunatic!!!!!

WTF was the Jewish woman doing in a prison camp!!!!

I dont care how "good" it was..what the fvck was she there in the first place?

OMG..

What are you trying to say here because its getting fairly disgusting?

gitzy16v wrote: »
    You are a lunatic!!!!!

WTF was the Jewish woman doing in a prison camp!!!!

I dont care how "good" it was..what the fvck was she there in the first place?

OMG..

What are you trying to say here because its getting fairly disgusting?

I'm a lunatic and yet i just posted a first hand account of the conditions she experienced in 1944. Is she not real, is she a holocust denier for claiming the Nazis gave her 3 meals a day? Considering this was at a time, when the Nazis are losing the war, they looked after her and feed her.

I'm a lunatic and yet i just posted a first hand account of the conditions she experienced in 1944. Is she not real, is she a holocust denier for claiming the Nazis gave her 3 meals a day? Considering this was at a time, when the Nazis are losing the war, they looked after her and feed her.

What are you trying to say?

The Nazis were not that bad?

What are you trying to say?

The Nazis were not that bad?

They feed this Jewish lady three meals a day. She was not starving? If Nazis goal was to wipe out the Jewish people, why would they even feed her one meal a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They feed this Jewish lady three meals a day. She was not starving? If Nazis goal was to wipe out the Jewish people, why would they even feed her one meal a day?

In fairness you've been doggedly asking people to provide proof for something that is honestly one of the most pored over and researched events in modern human history; There's no dearth of serious historical research of the holocaust.

But, yet, we're supposed to take your arguments seriously, based on a handful of photos - that may or may not prove anything - and the alleged experiences of one woman.

If you want to challenge commonly accepted versions of history, then, absolutely, go right ahead, but as the "challenger" you should have overwhelming and convincing arguments and evidence at your disposal: not cherry picked obsufucations that suit your agenda and selection bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the make up on this forum reflects mainstream opinion which is slightly to the right of center.

Or "pragmatic" in other words. The good thing about Ireland is that it is neither hard left nor hard right.

Ok what about all the Jews who died?

Ah no fvck it Arghus said it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I always got the vibe that Boards.ie leans left, if either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

They extracted labour/slave labour where possible. As long as you could still work you were kept alive. Additionally, it was intended to have a pool of exchange prisoners available at Belson.

It was a warped efficiency on the part of the Nazis to utilise free forced labour from people it was known would ultimately be worked to death to extract maximum value from them. Elsewhere they were used in deranged medical experiments. You wont find post war testimonys from prisoners who were cooked alive to advance medical knowledge.

Arghus wrote: »
    In fairness you've been doggedly asking people to provide proof for something that is honestly one of the most pored over and researched events in modern human history; There's no dearth of serious historical research of the holocaust.

But, yet, we're supposed to take your arguments seriously, based on a handful of photos - that may or may not prove anything - and the alleged experiences of one woman.

If you want to challenge commonly accepted versions of history, then, absolutely, go right ahead, but as the "challenger" you should have overwhelming and convincing arguments and evidence at your disposal: not cherry picked obsufucations that suit your agenda and selection bias.

I dont need to read a book written by someone after the war. We have real time photographs, taken then, that show healthy looking Jewish people. The Jewish woman story of her time at Belsen is just another confirmation i was spot on. Best evidence is from someone who was actually there, and not someone writing about it who was not there, decades later.

I dont need to read a book written by someone after the war. We have real time photographs, taken then, that show healthy looking Jewish people. The Jewish woman story of her time at Belsen is just another confirmation i was spot on. Best evidence is someone who was actually there, and not someone writing about we believed happened decades later.

Genuine Q.
    Does 1 womans story change all the historical evidence of the Nazi concentration camps?

I dont need to read a book written by someone after the war. We have real time photographs, taken then, that show healthy looking Jewish people. The Jewish woman story of her time at Belsen is just another confirmation i was spot on. Best evidence is from someone who was actually there, and not someone writing about it who was not there, decades later.

So you don't need to read about it and only need confirmation of things that you already believe. You don't sound very objective.

Best evidence? That might satisfy you, but it does not satisfy me. There's inumerable other first hand accounts that are completely at odds with that woman's version of events.

So you don't need to read about it and only need confirmation of things that you already believe. You don't sound very objective.

Best evidence? That might satisfy you, but it satisfy me. There's inumerable other first hand accounts that are completely at odds with that woman's version of events.

Can you provide me a source of another survivor of Belsen? I have hard time finding anyone online claiming the Nazis gassed Jews at Belsen or murdered them in the hundreds.

Genuine Q.
    Does 1 womans story change all the historical evidence of the Nazi concentration camps?

What evidence are you talking about the Nazis slaughtered 6 million Jews? It's a documented fact look it up Europe only had 9 million Jews 5 years prior to WW2. And we know at least 1.5 to 2 million Jews escaped to different safer countries between 1939 and 1945 ( you left with seven million) There is no way in hell the Nazis could have killed six million Jews? Even the staunchest supporters of the holocaust look it up claim 3.5 to 4 million Jews are left in Europe after the war. If i was to do the math that would mean 12 million Jews and there is no evidence for that number ( Europe) existing prior to WW2. Did no Jews die because of ill-health or war either?

What are your sources for these population figures?

As regards to Bergan-Belsen, if you are claiming that you can't find online accounts of the horror, death and suffering that occured there - then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Literally google it, you'll find enough reading material to keep you busy for a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And here come the sock puppets.

What are your sources for these population figures?

As regards to Bergan-Belsen, if you are claiming that you can't find online accounts of the horror, death and suffering that occured there - then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Literally google it, you'll find enough reading material to keep you busy for a long, long time.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005161 Holocust Memorial

In 1933, approximately 9.5 million Jews lived in Europe, comprising 1.7% of the total European population. Alamanc from 1938 has it at 9.3 million 5 years later. So we know it was about 9 million thereabouts. Curiously the Alamanac in 1948 only had 200,000 Jews dying during WW2. They claimed there was still around 9 million Jews living in Europe just after the war. It only jumped to 6 million deaths years later. Israel did not come a state till 1948.

You guys support mass murder at Belsen, surely there was plenty of Jewish eyewitnesses to this Please post your best evidence i open to be wrong.

The opening paragraph of the article of the source that you provided reads:
    In 1933, approximately 9.5 million Jews lived in Europe, comprising 1.7% of the total European population. This number represented more than 60 percent of the world's Jewish population at that time, estimated at 15.3 million.

and its final sentence reads:
    In little more than a decade, most of Europe would be conquered, occupied, or annexed by Nazi Germany and its Axis partners, and the majority of European Jews—two out of every three—would be dead

So roughly two thirds of roughly nine million - well that makes six million.

Fantastic job there with your source. I suppose considering that we started off the evening with you defending the extreme left and then the extreme right - the fact that your own sources refute your own arguments shouldn't come as that much of a surprise: more just a natural progression of illogical thought.

Accounts of Belsen? Here, let me help you:

go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

What evidence are you talking about the Nazis slaughtered 6 million Jews?

And what are your views on Josef Mengele?
    Do you believe he carried out human experimentation at Auschwitz extermination camp?
    Do you believe he built a pathology lab and experimented on twins(children) dwarfs and people with physical abnormalities?
    Do you believe he sewed the children together back to back to create conjoined twins?
    What about injecting their eyes with chemicals?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

he only wing I am interested is a chicken wing (might head up the Harbour master at lunch for some- yum yum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Politics should be banned in AH.

I don't believe boards has become extremely right wing, though it obviously has become more political, or at least the politics seems to have overflowed into other areas - this thread is a perfect example - the question was asked if boards has become extremely right wing, yet the current topic is on Jews - don't see why this cannot be restricted to the politics areas, and save the rest of us some grief.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can you provide me a source of another survivor of Belsen? I have hard time finding anyone online claiming the Nazis gassed Jews at Belsen or murdered them in the hundreds.
    And you would have a hard time. Belsen had no gas chambers. It wasn't that kind of camp. Belsen was for a large part of the war seen as a "model" camp. For a start it was in the German homeland so more "public". It was also a camp that had many purposes throughout its operational life. It first started as a small camp for slave labour. When the war started it was then expanded into a POW camp(for Polish and French POWs). After the invasion of the Soviet Union it was expanded further to house Soviet POWs. By 42/43(?) it was expanded further to serve as a holding camp and "hospital" camp for slave labour/POWs from other camps. Slave labour/POWs that were seen as still economically useful. EG As Are Am Eye points out Belsen was intended to have a pool of exchange prisoners for leverage and hard currency. Depending on which group someone belonged to and at what time period someone was there the experiences in the camp could vary quite a bit. At times it was seen as the "best of a bad lot" as far as concentration camps went.

It's not as simplistic to say Belsen was either; a death camp or it was a holiday camp. Reality is never that simplistic and anyone who considers it to be is either misinformed or a fool.
    I think the make up on this forum reflects mainstream opinion which is slightly to the right of center.

Or "pragmatic" in other words. The good thing about Ireland is that it is neither hard left nor hard right.
    +1000 We tend to be centrists, with the odd swing from left/right and thank the fates for that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

begbysback wrote: »
    this thread is a perfect example - the question was asked if boards has become extremely right wing, yet the current topic is on Jews
    Indeed, but B, that's how conversations work. They flow around a subject and go off on tangents. Personally speaking I could never quite understand the rigid "off topic" viewpoint/restriction on general subjects where such wanderings are likely to occur. In specialist topics sure. I mean a thread on say cycling that ended up talking about cats would be daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Indeed, but B, that's how conversations work. They flow around a subject and go off on tangents. Personally speaking I could never quite understand the rigid "off topic" viewpoint/restriction on general subjects where such wanderings are likely to occur. In specialist topics sure. I mean a thread on say cycling that ended up talking about cats would be daft.
    The problem is that AH, while you have discussions that naturally drift across and away from topics, but you also have posters who will try and shoehorn their particular gripe into any thread at all, and turn that into the topic instead.

That shoehorning, at least, should be clamped down on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

The longer this thread goes on, the more appropriate this tweet seems.

Haha. Yeah, I was starting to think the same over the past few pages.

I will say the good thing about Boards is you can read both sides of an argument, you can read some level headed opinions and you can read some rather worrying nonsense.

Advertisement