Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards.ie Extremely Right-Wing?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Saw this on Twitter comparing Boards.ie to Stormfront.

*Takes a look at boards.ie to see if it's still stormfront-lite*
    Ah, so they've just ditched the "lite"

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/884753135893446656

Stormfront is basically an extreme right wing, white nationalist, white supremacist, neo Nazi website.

My feeling about Boards is that it is actually not Right Wing at all. In fact, many posters are strongly, and rightly, against any kind of Neo-Nazi or White Supermacist/Nationalist views.

Would anyone on here even admit to being in agreement with White Supremacy?

Where does this reputation come from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You get all sorts on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

You get all sorts on boards

Enough to compare the entire site to extreme Right Wing sites like Stormfront?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I hope not, otherwise it's gonna fly around in circles

I'd say they are marginalized views and not really all that common.

Most of the threads on here have nothing to do with race or politics at all.

So it's surely not justified to compare Boards to some NeoNazi site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

While the number of right wing weirdos on boards is depressing, that number is small enough that you would need to be very delicate indeed to liken it to stormfront...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Boards is somewhere in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'm a Wight-Supremacist and proud of it.
    #gonightking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Racist posts crop up frequently enough. Sometimes supported by mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a little more right-wing than you would typically expect from online Ireland.

Largely down to quite a bit of sock-puppeting a multi-accounting designed to give the impression of support for particular viewpoints. People with strongly right-wing views have a tendency to engage in a kind of guerilla posting where they'll use account for a short while, then close it and reappear on another account. To the outside observer there appears to be a large number of right-wing posters engaging on a topic, when in reality there may be 2 or 3 individuals behind 10-20 accounts.

The extreme left engage in this too, but to a lesser degree.

You also have to remember that one of the rules of Twitter is that you must use as much hyperbole as possible. There is no middle ground on Twitter. Everyone is either a Nazi or a Communist. So view the quoted Tweet in the OP in that context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I always thought of Boards as a hang out for the Far Left or Liberal brigades.

So..... Meh, no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Boards has been called both 'extreme right wing' and 'extreme left wing' multiple times over the years, in other words you can't keep all the people happy all the time, the best you can do is have both sides complaining in roughly equal amounts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Moral of the story? Don't believe everything you read on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Saw this on Twitter comparing Boards.ie to Stormfront.

I read this as "Stormont......and assumed it was something to do with Shinnerbots......:D:D:D....
    Saruhashi wrote: »

Would anyone on here even admit to being in agreement with Withe Supremacy?

Where does this reputation come from?

and yes, I believe in "Withe Supremacy" which I believe was at its peak in 1982......
    Peter Withe (born 30 August 1951 in Liverpool) is a much-travelled English footballer who played as a striker between 1971 and 1990. He has also worked as a manager, predominantly in south-east Asia.

The highlights of his career came at Aston Villa, where he was a key player in the Football League title triumph of 1980–81 and scored his side's only goal in their 1982 European Cup Final victory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

From my experience, boards is mainly lefties and Joe reds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Blowfish wrote: »
    Boards has been called both 'extreme right wing' and 'extreme left wing' multiple times over the years, in other words you can't keep all the people happy all the time, the best you can do is have both sides complaining in roughly equal amounts.

So if both sides are unhappy, your doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Tbh it is one of the more liberal sites iv'e come across in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Meh, some left wing fella doesnt win his argument on boards and decides to calls it neo nazi, breitbart etc to his followers on twitter.
    Hardly earth shattering stuff

Jawgap wrote: »
    and yes, I believe in "Withe Supremacy" which I believe was at its peak in 1982......

Hey, I am so against it I can't even spell it properly!

Get on my level!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I guess it depends on your point of view. If you enter one of the "muslim" threads you'll see loads of right wing nutjobs advocating for everything from mass deportations to registering every muslim. You'll also see people arguing with them.

So if you're right wing you'll see a load of lefties ganging up on some perfectional rational right wing people.

If you're left wing you'll see a load of right wing guys ganging up on some lefties.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Er, Boards.ie is a forum website covering a plethora of wide ranging subjects involving thousands of people with very different ideas and opinions. Equating it with another website that is about an extremely narrow, fringe political group is not comparing like with like; in fact it's downright idiotic.

And who is 'Casey Explosions' anyway?! Some gob****e on Twitter posting a constant stream of inane twaddle is hardly to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

judeboy101 wrote: »
    From my experience, boards is mainly lefties and Joe reds.

I think on boards.ie you see the enemy you want to see…

Grayson wrote: »
    I guess it depends on your point of view. If you enter one of the "muslim" threads you'll see loads of right wing nutjobs advocating for everything from mass deportations to registering every muslim. You'll also see people arguing with them.

So if you're right wing you'll see a load of lefties ganging up on some perfectional rational right wing people.

If you're left wing you'll see a load of right wing guys ganging up on some lefties.

OK but if you go to Stormfront (don't) I can guarantee you that you won't find people promoting left wing views.

You won't find people on Stormfront saying "this White Supremacy thing is garbage". They are ALL white supremacists.

That's the difference with Boards. You get to see the arguments taking place. You get to see both sides fighting it out and you can make up your own mind.

It's not one sided so it can't be described as being comparable to a white supremacy site. As far as I have seen, anyone posting Far Right views here will be openly challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can't we agree that we're all just a bunch of lonely spoofers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Amazing assertion, Boards is rabid left wing in both tone and editorial bent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Last time I checked, the only clear bias on boards.ie was a penchant for penis jokes.

They mostly lean left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

osarusan wrote: »
    Can't we agree that we're all just a bunch of lonely spoofers?

lonely spoofers would be a brilliant username for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd say most people including myself are centre right leaning with all the goings on at the minute. Of course to anyone on the left that means your a neo-nazi.

The centre right is essentially the sane middleground.

Advertisement