Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Drive Alone On A Provisional In Ireland?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was behind a young lad last night on the N11, who was driving a tractor, wearing a good suit. He pulled in to the car park of a local hotel which was hosting a grad night. I appreciate he may have had a full licence, but I still had a little chuckle to myself at the thought he put in to it. No date with him, mind you

It doesn't mean he didn't have.
    The lads with the tractor generally do in my experience!

PS, I'm referring to a date and not a licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, but I'd hazard a guess that you still probably drive wrong on a motorway.

Do you join traffic at 100-120km if they traffic is moving at that speed?
    Do you stay in the driving lane?
    Do you join an exit lane as soon as it starts?
    Do you never stop in the hard shoulder?

I follow the speed limit as noted on the ramp.
    I move to the middle lane as its usually going at the correct limit.
    I join as early as possible as people who swoop in last minute do my head in.
    Why would I stop in the hard shoulder unless I've and emergency?

Regardless if I "drive wrong" which is a ridiculous statement considering the nutters in Audis and BMWs on the road I'm still safe and stick to the limit, make sure I have space to move if I need to over take, even if I had 10+ lessons I still wouldn't have gotten motorway experience so it's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I follow the speed limit as noted on the ramp.
    I move to the middle lane as its usually going at the correct limit.
    I join as early as possible as people who swoop in last minute do my head in.
    Why would I stop in the hard shoulder unless I've and emergency?

Regardless if I "drive wrong" which is a ridiculous statement considering the nutters in Audis and BMWs on the road I'm still safe and stick to the limit, make sure I have space to move if I need to over take, even if I had 10+ lessons I still wouldn't have gotten motorway experience so it's the only way.

Look I'm not having a go at you but without seeing you drive I am guessing that going on a motorway after three lessons, when your driving skills are definitely not enough, would mean that may have bad habits that follow you.

However, moving to the middle lane if the left hand land is empty is wrong.

No doubt there are a lot worse things on the road.

Agree with you about the lessons. It's wrong that motorway driving is not taught and tested in Ireland.

Look I'm not having a go at you but without seeing you drive I am guessing that going on a motorway after three lessons, when your driving skills are definitely not enough, would mean that may have bad habits that follow you.

However, moving to the middle lane if the left hand land is empty is wrong.

No doubt there are a lot worse things on the road.

Agree with you about the lessons. It's wrong that motorway driving is not taught and tested in Ireland.

You never mentioned if the left lane was empty though so that was a trick question, there is rarely any space on the left lane due to merging cars, I arrive on the M50 from the red cow heading towards Tallaght at 5:30-6 there is no chance of staying in that lane without constant braking.

You never mentioned if the left lane was empty though so that was a trick question, there is rarely any space on the left lane due to merging cars, I arrive on the M50 from the red cow heading towards Tallaght at 5:30-6 there is no chance of staying in that lane without constant braking.

I know that problem, caused by people thinking they can drive any slow speed in the 1st lane and it causes all sorts of problems.

Irish people seem to think there are "slow" and "fast" lanes.

You also see plenty of people at off peak hours driving in overtaking lanes when the driving lane is empty and that drives me mad.

• Advertisement

I know that problem, caused by people thinking they can drive any slow speed in the 1st lane and it causes all sorts of problems.

Irish people seem to think there are "slow" and "fast" lanes.

You also see plenty of people at off peak hours driving in overtaking lanes when the driving lane is empty and that drives me mad.

You should be a Garda :D

You should be a Garda :D

Ha Ha yes.

I would love a day on the M50 and M7 in a Garda Traffic Corp car.

Record tickets and convictions for driving too slow, lane hogging, tailgating, stopping on hard shoudlder, joining motorway too slow, and exiting too late.

Advertisement