Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Drive Alone On A Provisional In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

can't remember the date, but I believe there is a cut-off, whereby if you've received your first provisional prior to it, you do not require someone to be with you. But anyone receiving a Learners Permit since must be accompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Figures from the RSA show that over 6000 learner drivers were issued with penalty points in the 3 years up to November 2016, for driving unaccompanied.

So no you can't and yes there is a possible penalty if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

What's even more amazing is that this (almost ten years out of date information) is still on a driving school website - see post #4 in the thread by bananabread12. No wonder people can be confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really is an outdated system that should be scrapped.

Only fully qualified drivers should be allowed drive.

Would you got into a plane if the pilot only had a "learner licence"?

Also, there's too much of an attitude in Ireland that it's ok to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

No it's illegal and I certainly did no such thing for about 8 months in the lead up to my driving test...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

bill66 wrote: »
    Figures from the RSA show that over 6000 learner drivers were issued with penalty points in the 3 years up to November 2016, for driving unaccompanied.

So no you can't and yes there is a possible penalty if you do.

I'd wager a lot of those drivers had done something silly to bring them to the attention of AGS & their provisional status was then subsequently discovered, as opposed to being hit with the full penalty after stopping at a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah shur be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Professional lessons and you can only drive once you have passed your test. That's how its done in other countries.

I drove years ago on a provisional and failed my test but crazily enough it was ok to drive home after being told you're not fit to be on the road!

Then moved to The Netherlands and system there is very strict.

Can only do test after you have completed so many lessons.

Instructors are all regulated, as is the syllabus and instructors are actually examined every year.

They also teach people how to drive on motorways properly. Look at Ireland how people drive on motoroways. Awful.

Driving on middle lane on the M50.
    Joining motorway traffic moving at 120km per hour at 50-80kmh.
    Thinking there is a slow and fast lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm driving about 8 or 9 years now, I've only got my full licence about 3 years ago, it just before the N plate debacle, I never had any form of plates up, I had L plates for my first 3 days of driving and with the grief I got on the roads I took them down... :)

I live in Co Dublin and went in and out no bother, in that time I have been breathalysed, stopped at checkpoints and the like and never been asked for my licence once...

If I was to start driving now I would not do it, but I do understand why people do it and or need to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

This is so different in the UK. People generally wouldn't dream about driving alone without passing their test over there. As has already been stated anybody who does it is effectively driving uninsured. This is incredibly careless and inconsiderate and I can't believe so many parents let their sons / daughters do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Not on paper but you can. I never had a passenger with me for the full 6 months of learning and passed number of gardai. And still see solo learners stopped up beside gardai at red lights with no action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

That's if they tell them :pac:

If you don't declare something to your insurance, the company may fail to pay out for a claim or cancel your insurance leading to far higher premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I don't know any Learner Drivers who drive accompanied in Dublin or who have ever had any problems ......... most don't ever even put up L-Plates .......... checkpoints involve saying "I don't have my license on me" with the Guard giving the driver 10 days to produce at a Garda station of choice .......... wait a week or so and produce your license (Learner or not) and that's that!

Really is a banana republic :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I never drove alone on a provisional. I think it's very irresponsible to do so. If you're that great a driver, go and pass your test

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

This is so different in the UK. People generally wouldn't dream about driving alone without passing their test over there. As has already been stated anybody who does it is effectively driving uninsured. This is incredibly careless and inconsiderate and I can't believe so many parents let their sons / daughters do it.

Out of interest, what is the waiting time like in the UK? I would have thought the long waiting times in Ireland to be one of the major causes to learner drivers driving unaccompanied.

A friend of mine did his driving test in Australia, failed first time, did it again a few days later and passed. In Ireland he would have had to wait at least 3 months to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is the reason most of our parents are shíte drivers...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fieldog wrote: »

Don't blame someone else giving them an easy ticket. At the end of the day, they still did the driving themselves. Only they can be responsible for however crap they are at it. There's plenty of shít drivers that passed the test too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Fieldog wrote: »

The drivers of that generation are the most sought after demographic by all insurers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I thought I had heard that insurance was still valid, despite it being against the law, if L/N plates aren't displayed? Or maybe it's just N plates?

It is still valid. Driving without insurance is extremely illegal, it wouldn't be "null and void" at all. There might be some issues with some insurance payouts however. The reason a lot of people don't put them up is because if police see them with an L up and noone in the passenger seat they can tell immediately they're in the wrong, but with no L up they can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

It is still valid. Driving without insurance is extremely illegal, it wouldn't be "null and void" at all. There might be some issues with some insurance payouts however. The reason a lot of people don't put them up is because if police see them with an L up and noone in the passenger seat they can tell immediately they're in the wrong, but with no L up they can't tell.

You should read the small print very very closely on the policy if you're taking the risk of driving on your own as a learner

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/motor-cover-rules-hang-you-out-to-dry-34410272.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

AidanadiA wrote: »
    If you drive on a provisional licence without a sponsor/full licence holder your insurance policy is null and void, also if you don't have your L/N plates on display.

I passed my driving test last year, during the time I had my provisional licence I never drove with out my sponsor and the car always had L plates on.

That's not true, Insurance is still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will pay out to third party but will most likely go after policy holder for any cost incurred.

Also they will not pay for policy holders damage or costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know a lot of people do it but what exactly is the law?

My uncle believes you can drive alone on a Provisional License/Learner Permit in Ireland but ONLY if it's not your first one i.e - you can drive alone if it's your second Provisional ect. I told him he was wrong?

What exactly is the deal here? Seems very confusing...

It's a learners permit not a provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I know a lot of people do it but what exactly is the law?

My uncle believes you can drive alone on a Provisional License/Learner Permit in Ireland but ONLY if it's not your first one i.e - you can drive alone if it's your second Provisional ect. I told him he was wrong?

What exactly is the deal here? Seems very confusing...

Absolutely not. It's against the law. You must be accompanied at all times by a Full Licensed driver who has held their license for at least two years.

Also there's no such thing as a Provisional Licence anymore. It's a Learners Permit. You're permitted to learn how drive with an experienced driver, not to go out on your own.

And before anyone tries to rubbish me remember I sell car insurance for a living so I know I thing or two about the law in relation to driving etc.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    That's not true, Insurance is still valid.

No it's not. You're breaking the law so the policy is likely to be void/cancelled.

That's if they tell them :pac:

That's non disclosure and you will end up a world of trouble.

When you take out a policy you will be asked to send in a copy of your drivers licence and the insurer will see the points on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

I thought I had heard that insurance was still valid, despite it being against the law, if L/N plates aren't displayed? Or maybe it's just N plates?

I was in with Insurance Ireland getting a quote and they told me their policy is null and void if L plates or N plates aren't displayed.

Advertisement