Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Drive Alone On A Provisional In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

If the other driver was at fault, you wouldn't be asking your insurer to provide you with indemnity, so they wouldn't have had an issue with you.

The outcome would have been no different, Insurance-wise, even if the L-Driver had been at fault except for the fact that it would have been the L-Drivers Insurance handling the claim ......... the Gardai may (probably not) have followed up on the criminal offence of the L-Driver driving unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The reason the Gardai don't randomly pull drivers with L/N Plates driving unaccompanied (Motorway or otherwise) is for the simple reason that a vehicle displaying an L/N Plate could be, and in a lot of cases is, a shared vehicle, ie. Mother/Father with Daughter/Son or Husband/Wife etc. with one driver holding a Full Licence whilst the other driver has a Learner Permit .......... the Gardai simply don't have the time or motivation to constantly stop vehicles with L/N Plates.

It's amazing that those removable L and N plates are beyond so many people's abilities. A guard once told me it's illegal to display L plates of you're not a learner, but it's one of those rules they never bother with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That will go a long way to stop parents fronting a policy for their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Roll on everyone saying "I took they keys without telling them" wonder will they still prosecute the car owner?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

McGaggs wrote: »
    It's amazing that those removable L and N plates are beyond so many people's abilities. A guard once told me it's illegal to display L plates of you're not a learner, but it's one of those rules they never bother with.

Well, the gaurd is wrong. I'd looked it up before and there's only requirements listed about who needs to display it, that doesn't mean everyone else needs to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I must admit I did it while I was waiting on a date for my driving test. For about 3 months. Only really to and from work (about 3KM). And the odd time from Cork to Kerry and back. Passed the test first time with only 2 grade 2s. Often passed Gardai with my L plates and they never said anything.

I do think it built my confidence and everyone said to do it. My instructor hinted at it but never really encouraged it.. Still think the law should be enforced though. I wouldn't encourage other people to break the law...

Also think it's absolutely ridiculous that Learners can't go on motorways (accompanied!). How can anyone learn to drive on one otherwise. Many towns in Ireland do not have dual carriageways to practise merging etc on. I insisted on getting an instructor to take me out on a 120KM/hr dual carriageway in Cork once I had all my 12 lessons finished (before I passed my test) ...just because I wanted to learn how to drive on a dual carriageway/motorway properly.

Not having a go at you but it is wrong what you did.

Until you past the test, you're not a qualified driver and therefore should not be on the road.

As for motorways, they should be part of the syllabus and the test and they are not for some strange reason and the result is that you have a nation where the vast majority of people here do not know how to join or exit a motorway properly nor maintain correct lane discipline.

If you drive in the middle lane of the M50, which you see most people doing, even when empty at night then you don't know how to drive on a motorway.

That said, I don't agree that accompanied learners should be allowed. What can a companion do?

It should only be with instructors and ideally in a dual controlled car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bluewolf wrote: »
    I never drove alone on a provisional. I think it's very irresponsible to do so. If you're that great a driver, go and pass your test

I don't know when you passed your test but is you did it around the same time as me (1996) then you would have been an army of 1 with that opinion.

Everyone drove around on their provisional on their own until they passed the test.

In fact I'd suggest that some of the folks in their late 30s and 40s who frown on this behaviour had no issues doing it themselves back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The reason the Gardai don't randomly pull drivers with L/N Plates driving unaccompanied (Motorway or otherwise) is for the simple reason that a vehicle displaying an L/N Plate could be, and in a lot of cases is, a shared vehicle, ie. Mother/Father with Daughter/Son or Husband/Wife etc. with one driver holding a Full Licence whilst the other driver has a Learner Permit .......... the Gardai simply don't have the time or motivation to constantly stop vehicles with L/N Plates.

I was told once that if you're an adult learner you don't really have to worry about being pulled for driving alone cos they'll assume it's your kid's L plate. Which came in handy for me if I needed to do a big shop.

I don't know when you passed your test but is you did it around the same time as me (1996) then you would have been an army of 1 with that opinion.

Everyone drove around on their provisional on their own until they passed the test.

In fact I'd suggest that some of the folks in their late 30s and 40s who frown on this behaviour had no issues doing it themselves back in the day.

I like to call it full license snobbery.

• Advertisement

I like to call it full license snobbery.

So you think it's right that unqualified drivers just drive on our roads?

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you think it's right that unqualified drivers just drive on our roads?

I'd be a hypocrite if I said no.

Lots of qualified drivers drive like ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Roll on everyone saying "I took they keys without telling them" wonder will they still prosecute the car owner?

so the provisional driver gets charged with theft as well as driving alone?

I'd be a hypocrite if I said no.

Lots of qualified drivers drive like ****e.

Agree with you that qualified drivers are poor. That's because the test and manner of teaching is poor.

That said, people who are not qualified should not be driving dangerous vehicles.

so the provisional driver gets charged with theft as well as driving alone?

Well thats up to the owner to want a prosecution.
    Agree with you that qualified drivers are poor. That's because the test and manner of teaching is poor.

That said, people who are not qualified should not be driving dangerous vehicles.

Depends on the driver, I was more than confident to drive a 1.5 litre car as my first car with only 3 lessons and on the M50 within 2 weeks, I actually feel driving on the motorway helped me in my test.

Well thats up to the owner to want a prosecution.

Depends on the driver, I was more than confident to drive a 1.5 litre car as my first car with only 3 lessons and on the M50 within 2 weeks, I actually feel driving on the motorway helped me in my test.

Its not up the to owner. if they are stopped by a garda driving on their own either the owner has given permission, in which case they are prosecuted, or the owner hasnt given permission, in which case the driver is prosecuted for theft. the garda dont need the owners permission to prosecute.

Its not up the to owner. if they are stopped by a garda driving on their own either the owner has given permission, in which case they are prosecuted, or the owner hasnt given permission, in which case the driver is prosecuted for theft. the garda dont need the owners permission to prosecute.

Garda will always ask the owner, especially in a case like that where a family is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't think learners should be on the motorway. Not because it's dangerous, but because it's too easy. You don't learn anything on a motorway except how to get up to speed and stay there.

That may have worked in your case but the majority of learners could not handle a motorway after 3 lessons (I really doubt you did it right too) and rules have to reflect that.

Garda will always ask the owner, especially in a case like that where a family is involved.

But they dont have to.

• Advertisement

But they dont have to.

I know plenty of Garda family included who wouldnt be arsed pushing for a prosecution.

That may have worked in your case but the majority of learners could not handle a motorway after 3 lessons (I really doubt you did it right too) and rules have to reflect that.

It's not rocket science :rolleyes:

I know plenty of Garda family included who wouldnt be arsed pushing for a prosecution.

with the introduction of a new law making it an offense to let a learner driver drive alone hopefully that will change.

with the introduction of a new law making it an offense to let a learner driver drive alone hopefully that will change.

It won't.

It's not rocket science :rolleyes:

No, but I'd hazard a guess that you still probably drive wrong on a motorway.

Do you join traffic at 100-120km if they traffic is moving at that speed?
    Do you stay in the driving lane?
    Do you join an exit lane as soon as it starts?
    Do you never stop in the hard shoulder?

I've dealt with cases where uninsured partners/boyfriends have taken the car without permission and crashed them. The owner of the car in each instance followed through in assisting the Gardai with an unauthorised taking prosecution. The insurer honoured the theft claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I was behind a young lad last night on the N11, who was driving a tractor, wearing a good suit. He pulled in to the car park of a local hotel which was hosting a grad night. I appreciate he may have had a full licence, but I still had a little chuckle to myself at the thought he put in to it. No date with him, mind you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kylith wrote: »
    I don't think learners should be on the motorway. Not because it's dangerous, but because it's too easy. You don't learn anything on a motorway except how to get up to speed and stay there.

I find there's a lot more observation and anticipation needed on a motorway.

• Advertisement

I was behind a young lad last night on the N11, who was driving a tractor, wearing a good suit. He pulled in to the car park of a local hotel which was hosting a grad night. I appreciate he may have had a full licence, but I still had a little chuckle to myself at the thought he put in to it. No date with him, mind you

I heard that guy used to have a girlfriend. They shared a common love of farm machinery.

However they broke up and she became an ex-tractor fan.

Advertisement