Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Drive Alone On A Provisional In Ireland?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I know a lot of people do it but what exactly is the law?

My uncle believes you can drive alone on a Provisional License/Learner Permit in Ireland but ONLY if it's not your first one i.e - you can drive alone if it's your second Provisional ect. I told him he was wrong?

What exactly is the deal here? Seems very confusing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No (wink wink)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

My uncle believes you can drive alone on a Provisional License/Learner Permit in Ireland but ONLY if it's not your first one i.e - you can drive alone if it's your second Provisional ect. I told him he was wrong?

That used to be the case. Accompanied on first. Unaccompanied on second. Accompanied on 3rd. Afair anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

me_irl wrote: »
    Nope.

It says here at http://www.schoolofmotoring.ie/parkschoolofmotoring/main/Provisional_Licence.htm

>>> Car drivers ( category B ) with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car. ( The only exception to this , is where the driver holds a second provisonal driving licence to drive a car). The obligation to be accompanied by a qualified driver is set down in SI 352/99 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 1999 . <<<

Not sure what to think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, it used to be like your uncle thinks but that is all changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No you cannot from below but people take a chance and do:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Safety-for-Permit-Holders/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Page 16 of this document...

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/driver-licensing-in-ireland-a-guide.pdf
    If you are a learner in the car, truck or bus category, you must be accompanied by a qualified
    driver (or sponsor) at all times while driving. A qualified driver or sponsor is an experienced
    driver who has had a full licence for a continuous period of at least two years in the category
    of vehicle being driven by the learner permit holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It says here at http://www.schoolofmotoring.ie/parkschoolofmotoring/main/Provisional_Licence.htm

>>> Car drivers ( category B ) with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car. ( The only exception to this , is where the driver holds a second provisonal driving licence to drive a car). The obligation to be accompanied by a qualified driver is set down in SI 352/99 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 1999 . <<<

Not sure what to think....
    Completely out of date information, pretty poor from a driving school website really. Even provisional licences don't exist any more :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Yes, but don't get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Alun wrote: »
    Completely out of date information, pretty poor from a driving school website really. Even provisional licences don't exist any more :)

One of the larger driving schools around here ACTIVELY teaches new drivers to switch on their fogs, no matter what the weather.

It's not as though they're checked to see that standards are upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To give you the none politically correct boards answer. Your not meant to but it depends on the Garda you met and how you act on the road. If you act the maggot on the road and are rude to the Gardai. You'll end up in a bit of bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Only on country roads. Even if you come across a guard you more than likely went to school with their young fella or you're his favourite player on the club GAA team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What happens to learner drivers now when they're caught?

I know for years people just got a warning but haven't they cracked down on that in recent years?

Big fine and points also car will be taken......

They then point and laugh....

This post has been deleted.
    Big fine and points also car will be taken......

They then point and laugh....

It's two points and €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JustWantNetPlz

It's two points and €80.

Really? Is that all?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Outside Dublin you can ;)

The answer is no but I don't know one person that hasn't drove on their own and I also don't know one person who had ever been punished for this.

Not saying I advocate it but that's just the it is (in the country anyway)

Really? Is that all?

In the past there used be a court appearance involved but they changed it a few years ago to the best of my knowledge. It's on the website I linked below. The RSA website won't load for me. If you don't display L play it's also 2 points and a €60 fine.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/penalty_points.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Really? Is that all?

Then they have to tell their insurance why they have points:)

• Advertisement

Then they have to tell their insurance why they have points:)

That's if they tell them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I was a little late when I started driving and I never ever put an L or a N up, except literally when I was outside the test centres and I took them off when I was coming home again lol. But I don't recommend that, I'm a super cautious driver and don't drive a lot.

I was a little late when I started driving and I never ever put an L or a N up, except literally when I was outside the test centres and I took them off when I was coming home again lol.

Lots of people do this. Some even put the 'L' up with sellotape so it doesn't mark their window!

I was a little late when I started driving and I never ever put an L or a N up, except literally when I was outside the test centres and I took them off when I was coming home again lol. But I don't recommend that, I'm a super cautious driver and don't drive a lot.

How long were ya driving around like that for though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Like 5 years.

Can I ask a question OP? Where are you from?
    Lots of people would have issues driving unaccompanied in Dublin and sometimes a strict Garda from the traffic corps might give the town a visit apart from that people can be fine. Have you any local knowledge of the area?

Can I ask a question OP? Where are you from?
    Lots of people would have issues driving unaccompanied in Dublin and sometimes a strict Garda from the traffic corps might give the town a visit apart from that people can be fine. Have you any local knowledge of the area?

Oh I'm not OP at all, I'm a countryman from Limerick, just nosy and interested was all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I don't know any Learner Drivers who drive accompanied in Dublin or who have ever had any problems ......... most don't ever even put up L-Plates .......... checkpoints involve saying "I don't have my license on me" with the Guard giving the driver 10 days to produce at a Garda station of choice .......... wait a week or so and produce your license (Learner or not) and that's that!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

If you drive on a provisional licence without a sponsor/full licence holder your insurance policy is null and void, also if you don't have your L/N plates on display.

I passed my driving test last year, during the time I had my provisional licence I never drove with out my sponsor and the car always had L plates on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

AidanadiA wrote: »
    If you drive on a provisional licence without a sponsor/full licence holder your insurance policy is null and void, also if you don't have your L/N plates on display.

I passed my driving test last year, during the time I had my provisional licence I never drove with out my sponsor and the car always had L plates on.

I thought I had heard that insurance was still valid, despite it being against the law, if L/N plates aren't displayed? Or maybe it's just N plates?

Advertisement