Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Well done on the PB! Flying it!

Thanks ReeReeG! How's the running going for you now, post marathon? Any plans (besides DCM :p)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah just enjoying running with no plan for a bit I think, although having read all the 5k reports on here now, there's a good chance I will try for a PB at parkrun this weekend! Why not :angel:

Btw, thanks for the Strava follow ;)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yeah just enjoying running with no plan for a bit I think, although having read all the 5k reports on here now, there's a good chance I will try for a PB at parkrun this weekend! Why not :angel:

Btw, thanks for the Strava follow ;)

Same to you! Nice to recognise a few people on there now ;)

Good luck with the parkrun attempt if you go for it! No bother to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done on the PB ! 5k's are so tough. The trick, I think, is to do more of them, and to replicate that feeling in training with tough intervals. The good thing is, if it all goes pear shaped, there's always another one next week :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done, congrats on the PB:D

• Advertisement

Well done, congrats on the PB:D
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done on the PB ! 5k's are so tough. The trick, I think, is to do more of them, and to replicate that feeling in training with tough intervals. The good thing is, if it all goes pear shaped, there's always another one next week :D.

Thanks you two!

BG I think you're onto something here. I have almost a fear of the pain of the 5k, so I tend to avoid them like the plague. Probably need to just do a load of them and toughen up! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, that’s a great result. You had a much better race than me, reltively speaking! Do t know what you are disappointed about at all. Terrific run that suggests you have loads more potential to discover. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »
    Monday 21st - Recovery run
    3 miles / 11:22 avg pace / 139 (149) HR avg (max)
    Conscious that I haven't been the smartest in terms of tapering for the race tomorrow, I kept this to a gentle recovery run too.

Tuesday 22nd - Race Day! Bob Heffernan 5K
    8 miles including warm up and cool down

What a glorious evening to be out running. Arrived and was amazed at how many of the runners were wearing club gear and, well, looking like real runners. Started to feel a bit out of my depth, if I'm honest. But what of it, we were all there to run and no one was going to be paying any attention to me anyway.

The Race

I somehow thought that this race went by gun time so I started my watch as soon as the gun went off, resulting in my Garmin being out for the whole thing. Nearly tripped over a shoe that someone had lost at the start line (tough break for whoever that was!).

Straightaway the effort seemed high. Too high? I wasn't sure if it was tiredness, or just that a 5K should be hard from the start. I wasn't really feeling it, but I knew I'd be disgusted with myself if I gave in, so I tried to hold the pace at least. It was pretty manageable for about the first 3km or so and then I started to feel it, and the doubts/thoughts of slowing down started to creep in. Strangely the legs felt perfect, just had no spring in them. The breathing was getting tough though. This seems to be par for the course for me, when I struggle it's aerobically more than anything. I think I more or less kept the pace fairly steady despite this, but the Garmin was all over the place.

Passed a few people. I had been shoulder-to-shoulder with another woman since just after the start, and she fell slightly behind me but kept close. Coming into the last 500m she pulled beside me again and then moved on.

I had no kick whatsoever, I've never felt so flat in a race. Saw the clock and pushed as best I could, thinking I had just barely missed my target. Came through and found a grassy corner to sit down on for a few minutes, felt fairly wobbly. Quickly settled though, and once I'd eaten a very welcome free granola bar I actually felt great doing my cool down jog a little later.

So, the target going in had been 23:30. I thought crossing the line I had missed this by a couple of seconds, but then it turned out the race was chip timed after all. Woop!

Official time: 23:23 (PB)
    Previous race PB was 25:44 (a year ago), though I did a park run in 24:36 last summer.

I guess I'm pleased? I dunno, this one feels a bit anticlimactic. I guess racing when coming off my highest mileage week ever wasn't going to be brilliant anyway. But it wasn't a goal race, and I got the time I was aiming for, I just didn't feel good out there. Felt a bit like my body was stuck in a lower gear or something.

Mostly I'm reminded of how completely not enjoyable 5Ks are, which makes me wonder why do more of them? At the same time, I have somehow developed the lofty notion that I want to see a 22:xx 5k time beside my name some time in the future. Oh and if I can have a unicorn too I'd take it ;)

Congratulations on the PB! Sounds like a well-executed race to me. That sub-23 is well within your reach when you’re not coming off your highest mileage week ever and feeling stuck in a lower gear.

Didn't realise I hadn't updated this for almost three weeks, oops. I was away for a little over a week anyway so running was minimal (although I managed to get out a few times - love it as a way to see a new place). I missed about half of what was on the plan for the week away. Despite that, I ended up with 157 miles for May which is the highest mileage I've run in a month so far, and ran my first race since January!

| 2017 | 2018
    January | 14.5 | 124
    February | 61 | 121
    March | 90 | 152
    April | 116 | 129
    May | 113 | 157
    June | 114 |
    July | 143 |
    August | 84 |
    September | 104 |
    October | 113 |
    November | 137 |
    December | 36 |

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, that’s a great result. You had a much better race than me, reltively speaking! Do t know what you are disappointed about at all. Terrific run that suggests you have loads more potential to discover. Well done.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Congratulations on the PB! Sounds like a well-executed race to me. That sub-23 is well within your reach when you’re not coming off your highest mileage week ever and feeling stuck in a lower gear.

Thanks both of you! Ah I was only moaning really, just had a slightly dissatisfied feeling after it but nothing major. It's bloody ages ago now anyway so on to the next thing!

Going to post up a proper recap for last week, because I got back to proper training so there's actually stuff to record!

Monday 4th - Easy run + 8 x 100m strides
    6 miles / 10:15 avg pace / 154 (178) HR avg (max)
    Up all night travelling home from holidays. Went out for a run when I got back but I was clearly struggling, as the HR shows. The humidity didn't help.

Tuesday 5th - Easy out/slightly less easy back
    5.15 miles / 9:38 avg pace / 147 (161) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:30, 9:55, 9:38, 9:14, 9:08
    Short on time so improvised this. Easy first half and picked it up a little on the way back but kept the effort low enough. Lovely running. Garmin gave me a new VO2 max! Amazing night's sleep the night before, always makes a big difference. If only I could manage that more often!

Wednesday 6th - Very easy run
    5.1 miles / 10:39 avg pace / 144 (152) HR avg (max)
    Just aimed to keep the HR below 150 throughout. Almost managed it, just two tiny blips over. Felt fairly comfortable but definitely slowed as I went on for the same HR - heat may have been a factor!

Thursday 7th - VO2 Max Session: 3x1k + 3x800m @ 3k-5k effort (jog 50-90% interval time recovery) - 9 miles total
    Target pace: 7:40 - 7:20
    Reps: 1000s (pace): 7:29, 7:31, 7:19. 800s (pace): 7:15, 7:24, 7:20
    Very nearly postponed this and turned it into an easy run because it was hot and I was tired, but I decided I'd start the session and see. Almost always a good call, that! Did this on the grass track. It was tough but not too tough. I was definitely tired for the last two, but I hit the paces. None of it felt fast, but the speed endurance isn't great all the same. Very hot day though. I walked the start of each recovery instead of jogging - not sure if that makes much difference or not.

Friday 8th - Recovery run
    5.15 miles / 11:13 avg pace / 146 (157) HR avg (max)
    Legs were tired from the session yesterday. If I'm honest this probably wasn't always a true recovery effort, even though the pace was slow. It was first thing in the morning and I always find that a bit tougher.

Saturday 9th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    12.85 miles / 10:02 avg pace / 155 (173) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 9:19, 10:22, 10:04, 10:08, 10:19, 10:18, 10:02, 9:46, 9:53, 9:57, 10:03, 9:56 (10:27/8:36)
    A funny one, this. I was fairly destroyed after it, which I don't really feel the distance warranted! It was really hot and sunny though, and I had no water. I ran out along the seafront to Raheny, which was fine, but the way back was a real struggle.

Sunday 10th - Rest
    Total laziness! Much of it spent glued to the French Open Final :D

Weekly mileage: 43.25 miles

Highest mileage week so far, and only the second time every going above 40. And apart from being tired on a few occasions from the hot weather and lack of sleep, I feel great. Body seems to be handling the increase well, which I'm delighted about. What's more I really enjoyed most of it. It's brief anyway as the plan goes straight into cut back mode now for the final two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm struggling with the prospect of cutting back! Not sure if my taper will really be a taper! :pac:

Some nice running going on here. Hope you'd a lovely holbop.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm struggling with the prospect of cutting back! Not sure if my taper will really be a taper! :pac:

I know what you mean! Feels a bit like, having put in all this work you don't want to stop! Also getting into a rhythm of doing a bit more and don't want to get out of it again. Still, what's that saying about trusting the plan...

Some nice running going on here. Hope you'd a lovely holbop.

Oh it was great! I'd heartily recommend it as a place, as long as you can get over the eye-watering prices of everything :eek: It made for a very sensible trip altogether though, no mad nights out (too expensive)! Landscape is totally out of this world though, I'm keen to go back and see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done that is great running. The mileage on the meno plan will be no trouble to you, if that's the one you decide on! Glad you'd a nice trip, fair play on the holiday running too :)

Oh it was great! I'd heartily recommend it as a place, as long as you can get over the eye-watering prices of everything :eek: It made for a very sensible trip altogether though, no mad nights out (too expensive)! Landscape is totally out of this world though, I'm keen to go back and see more.

For some reason, I thought you were in Croatia and was surprised to hear it was expensive. Your comments on TBO's log made me realise :p

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done that is great running. The mileage on the meno plan will be no trouble to you, if that's the one you decide on! Glad you'd a nice trip, fair play on the holiday running too :)

Ah, thank you! Oh the holiday running was minimal - only got out 3 times in 9 days. But any more than that and I'd have been in trouble I think... :pac:

For some reason, I thought you were in Croatia and was surprised to hear it was expensive. Your comments on TBO's log made me realise :p

Ha! Oops, didn't realise I hadn't explained that! Croatia is definitely on the list though, I still haven't been. I'm pretty sure once you're back a whole week it's time to start planning the next holiday, right? :p

Somehow it's taper time already - last week was the second last of the plan. It feels really weird to be tapering like this for a 10k. I was tempted to ignore the taper actually, but given that I've followed the plan reasonably closely this far I figured I might as well stick with it and see what happens.

Monday 11th - Easy + 8 x 100m strides
    6.05 miles / 10:31 avg pace / 142 (168) HR avg (max)
    Benefits of this forum: reading other people's approach to their training. Read a comment from Swashbuckler about how he started to get the hang of strides and mulled it over as I ran these. The prompt was the word 'smooth'. Have to say they felt great, and I was wrecked before I started so that's good going as far as I'm concerned.

Tuesday 12th - Recovery
    4 miles / 10:49 avg pace / 131 (143) HR avg (max)
    I think that might just be the lowest average HR I've ever seen for a run! Not quite sure where it came from but it was certainly a proper recovery effort.

Wednesday 13th - Pilates
    Missed pilates for the last two weeks and wow did I know about it today. It was so much harder than normal! :( Rest day on the plan so no running.

Thursday 14th - VO2 Max Session: 4x800m + 2x600m @ 3k-5k effort (jog 50-90% interval time recovery)
    7.8 miles / 9:59 avg pace / 160 (191) HR avg (max)
    Target pace: 7:40 - 7:20
    Reps: 800s (pace): 7:43, 7:25, 7:28, 7:27. 600s (pace): 7:14, 7:15
    Another hot day for the session. This was easier than last week's though. Did it on the grass track. Again I didn't feel like I was moving quickly at all, but the speed endurance felt like it wasn't there to go faster/longer. Focused on keeping it relatively smooth and controlled this time, not all out. Tried to keep something back to finish faster. The first one was too slow but then I got the hang of it.
    Quite happy with this really, it felt very manageable.I was less tired on the recoveries than last week too.

Friday 15th - Recovery run
    4.05 miles / 10:50 avg pace / 135 (149) HR avg (max)
    Easy, lazy ramble after work.

Saturday 16th - Easy/General aerobic run
    8.4 miles / 10:23 avg pace / 147 (158) HR avg (max)
    Got up and out for this first thing in the morning. Easy effort but the legs were tired and I felt tired overall after it. Probably just morning sluggishness though. Then it was off to see The National for the afternoon/evening! Pretty sure this isn't the first time they've been mentioned on this log actually. Obviously need to diversify my gig-going :pac:

Sunday 17th - Rest

Weekly mileage: 30.3 miles

I felt like I was doing nothing for most of this week. On the plus side though, it's not too long since a 30 mile week would have been normal and now it really feels like taking it easy. Another easy week coming up and then race next weekend. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

You will ace the 10k, no doubt but for this week enjoy the taper! You may as well, you'll be more or less launching straight into DCM training after the 10k so put your feet up a little this week and catch up with glossy magazines or whatever your thing is ;)

The very best of luck with the 10k at the weekend. You've put an excellent training block in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I think you're doing Dunshaughlin also? Best of luck and I'll keep an eye out for you :)

• Advertisement

Thanks you two! And same to you ReeReeG :) I'll be sure to say hi if I spot you/manage to figure out who anyone from here is!
    Looks like it's going to be a warm one :eek:

You're well rested and primed to go. Let's hope the early evening cools down a bit tomorrow! Best of luck. :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You're well rested and primed to go. Let's hope the early evening cools down a bit tomorrow! Best of luck. :)

I'm just back in from a very gentle jog and I felt the heat enough on that, I'm now officially terrified for the race tomorrow!! :eek:

Monday 18th - Race pace session: 4 x 100m strides + 1200m @ 10k race pace
    6 miles / 10:39 avg pace / 145 (179) HR avg (max)
    I was feeling a bit off before starting this - heavy legs and slightly queasy in the stomach. No idea why the legs should be an issue given the taper, but they don’t seem to have much energy! Still, the race pace section felt fine. Averaged 7:46 pace for it (goal was 7:46 - 8:01).

Tuesday 19th - Recovery
    3.3 miles / 10:51 avg pace / 137 (147) HR avg (max)
    Unremarkable! Starting to feel a teeny tiny bit niggly again in both legs so did the warm up routine the physio gave me a few months ago, and felt noticeably better after it all.

Wednesday 20th - Recovery + Pilates
    4 miles / 11:04 avg pace / 144 (154) HR avg (max)
    Rolled out of bed for this recovery shuffle, and as per usual everything felt tougher in my sleepy state. Pilates at lunchtime was ok though, infinitely better than last week!

Thursday 21st - Rest
    As per the plan!

Friday 22nd - Easy shakeout + a few strides
    3 miles / 10:39 avg pace / 146 (172) HR avg (max)
    Well that's it! Nothing left now but to show up for the race tomorrow :eek:

I’m so bored of hardly running at all over the last week or two. I don’t even care about the race much at this stage, I’m just dying to get back to training properly!

Saturday 23rd - Race! Dunshaughlin 10k
    10.45 miles including w/u and c/d / HR for the race: 185 avg + 194 max

I keep having zero desire to write a race report for this, but there are a few things it would be no harm to remember/record so I'll jot down a few notes.

First a quick summary: wasn't feeling good before this (nothing serious but quite lightheaded/dizzy) but was ok once I got moving. Warm evening but not unbearable. I'm not going to give a mile-by-mile recap because it was unremarkable really. 'Steady' is the word, and that's not a word that should be associated with a race (not a 10k anyway). Not bad, not great. I struggled on the drag from mile 4.5 - 5 but settled back after that. Left it late enough to pick it up at the end but found I had a lot left then, so probably could have gone earlier. My head was spinning when I finished and I had to sit down for a bit, but it settled.

Chip time: 49:39 (PB! Previous one was 53:00)
    Mile splits: 8:04, 7:57, 8:02, 7:52, 8:12, 7:55 (7:30 pace/1:38 for the last .2)

Thoughts:
    - happy to have gotten the sub 50 (had only raced one 10k before, a year ago in 53:00), but I guess I was hoping for closer to 49:00, or even just under it.
    - I revived an old technique from piano lessons long ago, of more or less counting a beat in my head to keep time. Good distraction and it helped to focus on that. Get to 100, and start again.
    - I felt fairly strong, which is good, but then my pace was slower than planned, so no major surprise that it wasn't that tough.
    - Too conservative. Again. I started slow and kept waiting for the right point to speed up, and I just never did. Not that I couldn't, I just didn't. Too afraid of the suffering that would be involved, or of judging it wrong and not being able to keep going. This has been the story of nearly every race I've done, and it's not going to change unless I do something to change it. Do more races and take more risks in them maybe, let them be less important. I guess that will have to wait till after marathon training now though.
    - VDOT for this is worse than for my last two races

Performance-related grumbling aside I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience of the race! Probably the nicest one I've done. Lovely support through the village, amazing spread afterwards and just a great, friendly atmosphere overall. I look forward to doing it again.

Sunday 24th - Easy run
    4 miles / 10:27 avg pace / 148 (160) HR avg (max)
    Legs felt pretty much grand, though the heat in the mid afternoon was fairly energy-sapping!

Weekly mileage: 30.9 miles

Now it's time for the real fun to start :D

Saturday 23rd - Race! Dunshaughlin 10k
    10.45 miles including w/u and c/d / HR for the race: 185 avg + 194 max

I keep having zero desire to write a race report for this, but there are a few things it would be no harm to remember/record so I'll jot down a few notes.

First a quick summary: wasn't feeling good before this (nothing serious but quite lightheaded/dizzy) but was ok once I got moving. Warm evening but not unbearable. I'm not going to give a mile-by-mile recap because it was unremarkable really. 'Steady' is the word, and that's not a word that should be associated with a race (not a 10k anyway). Not bad, not great. I struggled on the drag from mile 4.5 - 5 but settled back after that. Left it late enough to pick it up at the end but found I had a lot left then, so probably could have gone earlier. My head was spinning when I finished and I had to sit down for a bit, but it settled.

Chip time: 49:39 (PB! Previous one was 53:00)
    Mile splits: 8:04, 7:57, 8:02, 7:52, 8:12, 7:55 (7:30 pace/1:38 for the last .2)

Thoughts:
    - happy to have gotten the sub 50 (had only raced one 10k before, a year ago in 53:00), but I guess I was hoping for closer to 49:00, or even just under it.
    - I revived an old technique from piano lessons long ago, of more or less counting a beat in my head to keep time. Good distraction and it helped to focus on that. Get to 100, and start again.
    - I felt fairly strong, which is good, but then my pace was slower than planned, so no major surprise that it wasn't that tough.
    - Too conservative. Again. I started slow and kept waiting for the right point to speed up, and I just never did. Not that I couldn't, I just didn't. Too afraid of the suffering that would be involved, or of judging it wrong and not being able to keep going. This has been the story of nearly every race I've done, and it's not going to change unless I do something to change it. Do more races and take more risks in them maybe, let them be less important. I guess that will have to wait till after marathon training now though.
    - VDOT for this is worse than for my last two races

Performance-related grumbling aside I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience of the race! Probably the nicest one I've done. Lovely support through the village, amazing spread afterwards and just a great, friendly atmosphere overall. I look forward to doing it again.

Sunday 24th - Easy run
    4 miles / 10:27 avg pace / 148 (160) HR avg (max)
    Legs felt pretty much grand, though the heat in the mid afternoon was fairly energy-sapping!

Weekly mileage: 30.9 miles

Now it's time for the real fun to start :D

It's a near 4 minute PB, a great testament to the great work you have put in. Enjoy it! Great that you feel you had more to give. Learning to hurt only takes 1 race...the first one you do it! Then you realise that recovery comes quickly and you are so proud of taking yourself to the limits. More PBs to come. Huge congratulations

Woot! Nice going on the four-minute PB.

It's hard to take risks in a goal race, for sure. It's something I'll do in one race, judge the effort quite well, then overdo in the next race and blow up and then have to build up to doing it again. It's why doing as many 5ks as possible is great. I got into the mindset of, "so what if I blow up? I'll try again next week." Certainly, being race fit is only half the battle.

Still and all, my ramblings aside, a four-minute PB AND a sub50 and you're starting marathon training soon - all really great progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Belated congrats on the PB

Your in good company
    "It was a joyful last mile," she said in her book Paula: My Story So Far, about the real-life race, and she surely earned that joy. She had talked herself through near-exhaustion by counting to 100, by aiming at landmarks, and by thoughts like, "No matter how exhausted I might feel, a half-an-hour run is one I can manage." She pushed all the way, under 5 minutes for the last mile, never tempted to save anything for another day.

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20797745/paulas-greatest-marathon/

Remember reading this years back and giving it a bash, its a great little trick to use at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Excellent result!! I love that race! and I'm not at all jealous that you've beaten my PB as well as your own :D, massive congrats on the sub 50 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Excellent result!! I love that race! and I'm not at all jealous that you've beaten my PB as well as your own :D, massive congrats on the sub 50 10k.

I’d blame the pacer on your PB.........

Advertisement