Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

Kyleboy wrote: »
    Why is it comical? The route extension was to incorporate ucd and St Vincent's hospital, what route would you suggest?

Did it need to go all the way to Donnybrook if it could have turned around in ucd? Also (and I'm not being smart here, it's a genuine question) why was that extension reversed so soon after it was introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Presumably the sheer length of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Something I would love to see is consideration towards staff and have it that toilet facilities are available.

I'm on a duty today where I have no toilet for over 6hrs 15 mins if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

john boye wrote: »
    Did it need to go all the way to Donnybrook if it could have turned around in ucd? Also (and I'm not being smart here, it's a genuine question) why was that extension reversed so soon after it was introduced?

It was originally supposed to be from St Vincent's via Sandymount but the hospital objected to that so via ucd was the compromise. It didn't carry from Sandymount to ucd as the 3 was operating back then so maybe that was the reason it was pulled so quickly?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It was originally supposed to be from St Vincent's via Sandymount but the hospital objected to that so via ucd was the compromise. It didn't carry from Sandymount to ucd as the 3 was operating back then so maybe that was the reason it was pulled so quickly?.

How come the hospital objected? Was it meant to terminate on the hospital grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How come the hospital objected? Was it meant to terminate on the hospital grounds?

Not 100%sure as it was about 12 years ago, i think the issue was more to do with the buses laying over at the terminus.They had been terminating at the stops opposite tesco from what i can remember. I'm not on that route myself so i ask one of the lads on the route and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

DB may decide to extend their current depots. Plenty of room for expansion in Harristown for example as it's surrounded by green fields.

One of them even has tarmac, vacant at night. It is called Runway 28.

Not 100%sure as it was about 12 years ago, i think the issue was more to do with the buses laying over at the terminus.They had been terminating at the stops opposite tesco from what i can remember. I'm not on that route myself so i ask one of the lads on the route and see what they say.

The idea did sounds like it would have ran parallel to the 3 or today it would have ran parallel to the 47

Something I would love to see is consideration towards staff and have it that toilet facilities are available.

I'm on a duty today where I have no toilet for over 6hrs 15 mins if I'm lucky.

I can't think of any DB route that has a terminus is not within walking distance of a pub, cafe, shopping centre or petrol station. Also I wonder can drivers on the 7 and 111 use the toilets for the Luas drivers in Bride's Glen

I can't think of any DB route that has a terminus is not within walking distance of a pub, cafe, shopping centre or petrol station. Also I wonder can drivers on the 7 and 111 use the toilets for the Luas drivers in Bride's Glen

Right simple answer is not many at all have toilets at either end.

Luas are for luas staff so no we can't use them as they are locked.

Would you honestly want to go into any of the pubs you talk of in uniform.
    Most wouldn't want you using them anyway.

Plenty of pubs around but many terminus nothing nearby and then you speak of cafe it's customer use only exactly like the pub.

• Advertisement

I can think of a good few just off the top of my head. Also how are the pub and Cafe owners going to feel about multiple drivers coming in to use their facilities for free every day? And is it reasonable to expect drivers to have to buy something every time they need to use the loo?

Would you honestly want to go into any of the pubs you talk of in uniform.
    Most wouldn't want you using them anyway.

Plenty of pubs around but many terminus nothing nearby and then you speak of cafe it's customer use only exactly like the pub.

That's true but surely pubs and cafes would have the decency to allow drivers use the jax. I go into pubs from time to time to use the jax and have never had any problems despite the signs. Also what so bad about going into a pub in DB uniform are there rules against this, can a driver not have a carvery for lunch? I know the gym in Monkstown for example let's 4 drivers use their max.

Luas should also have the decency to let bus drivers use their loos all transport workers at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've seen Gardai often use my local cafe.

bk wrote: »

I'm sure the Gards can do a lot of things that bus drivers can't!

bk wrote: »

Totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

That's true but surely pubs and cafes would have the decency to allow drivers use the jax. I go into pubs from time to time to use the jax and have never had any problems despite the signs. Also what so bad about going into a pub in DB uniform are there rules against this, can a driver not have a carvery for lunch? I know the gym in Monkstown for example let's 4 drivers use their max.

Luas should also have the decency to let bus drivers use their loos all transport workers at the end of the day.

Brides Glen Luas were asked to share answer was NO.
    When the 14's used to terminate on Parnell square West we used to go into the rotunda but then they refused us entry as well because a patient's husband complained on the Joe Duffy show!!

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Brides Glen Luas were asked to share answer was NO.
    When the 14's used to terminate on Parnell square West we used to go into the rotunda but then they refused us entry as well because a patient's husband complained on the Joe Duffy show!!

That's a disgrace not much solidarity is it from Luas drivers, why would they refuse. If I were a 7 or 111 driver and with SIPTU I would move to the NBRU for that in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Go Ahead Ireland branded 03 Mercedes single decker bus out doing driver training this morning on the Naas Road. First time I've seen them out anyway.

That's a disgrace not much solidarity is it from Luas drivers, why would they refuse. If I were a 7 or 111 driver and with SIPTU I would move to the NBRU for that in protest.

I doubt it's Luas drivers themselves who are refusing them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Go Ahead Ireland branded 03 Mercedes single decker bus out doing driver training this morning on the Naas Road. First time I've seen them out anyway.

There's a handful of them parked at Harris's just off the Naas road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ex-Oxford Bus Company, apparently, filling the gap while they wait for their own buses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I don't know about your company, but my company don't regularly allow people from neighbouring businesses come in and use their facilities when they would like to.

devnull wrote: »
    I don't know about your company, but my company don't regularly allow people from neighbouring businesses come in and use their facilities when they would like to.

No both Luas and bus drivers are both de facto NTA workers. TFL provides toilets for drivers of all bus companies.

Ex-Oxford Bus Company, apparently, filling the gap while they wait for their own buses.

Likely going to be for driver training with the NTA owned for passenger service only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

Likely going to be for driver training with the NTA owned for passenger service only.

Has anyone any substance to the "Go-Ahead can't find drivers" rumour?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

No both Luas and bus drivers are both de facto NTA workers. TFL provides toilets for drivers of all bus companies.

So do you reckon that DB are going to allow GA staff in then?

Can't see it myself.

Qrt wrote: »
    Has anyone any substance to the "Go-Ahead can't find drivers" rumour?

And what makes others think they can?

Well can you put that to the powers that be as we get nowhere.

I'm at it a long time now and learnt very quickly the driver is the last thought in any matter whatsoever.

There should be facilities without having to try blag ones way into some private person's business etc to get to use a toilet.

It's actually quite bizarre one would think ah sure it's fine they can't be going that long without a break or toilet break.

As I mentioned before there are duties where one part could be as little as an hour and another part could be 5 to 6 hours.

A driver between traveling to work and getting into the city for example could be without a toilet for anywhere from 4 to even 7 hours.
    It's not right.

Sure in the winter it can happen a lot where one would need to go after only going 20 minutes before.

Can't see it myself.

I highly doubt it but there does be the odd private coach into donnybrook or wherever to sit up on special runs.

• Advertisement

Can't see it myself.

DB staff don't have toilets so I don't think that makes sense

Advertisement