Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Recruitment closed for new applications.

Doesn't sound like they're struggling to find drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Any confirmation of payment rates I've been hearing 14.50 per hour rising to 16 per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Recruitment closed for new applications.

Doesn't sound like they're struggling to find drivers...

No doubt the argument will quickly move from finding to retaining :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

GM228 wrote: »
    No doubt the argument will quickly move from finding to retaining :pac:

AFAIAA,GAD had over 1,000 applications,apparently with 60% from B Licence holders.
    There are 5 Training Citaros now in place,but,of course...they can't get drivers....:rolleyes:

This big bad company,headquartered in ,of all places, ENGLAND :eek:!,will be thr ruination of Irelands Public Transport......meanwhile,elsewhere in the World....

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/bus-captains-to-get-more-say-in-schedules
    Go-Ahead Singapore will look to give its bus captains more say in their schedules - from which shift hours they prefer to work to the duration of their meal breaks.

The company's managing director Nigel Wood said that by doing so, its 700 bus captains will be more motivated and more likely to stay with the company.

Shocking stuff indeed....when he should have the whip out !

Even worse comes later in the piece.....
    Mr Wood said during a tour of the company's Loyang depot last Thursday that it will match drivers with routes that fit their requests, such as to have a short meal break of 30 minutes or a longer one of 11/2 hours. "We (will) take their feedback... and build schedules that are more family-or staff-friendly."

Some drivers may also want a "split-shift", which is to drive in the morning and then have a three- to four-hour break before resuming work in the evening.

Hopefully the Irish National Transport Authority will prevent this company implementing any of this colonial type of stuff here,as it would damage the moral fibre of our native aspiring Busdrivers.....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1714922

Still open for applicants on jobs.ie

The job itself actually disappeared from there sometime last week but has now resurfaced, and only updated today 22.06.18.

• Advertisement

What exactly are the pay rates. I heard 14.50 to start but what does it rise to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is a pic of the training bus with Go-Ahead near Dublin Airport. I found this on Flickr tonight.

42957704591_9df8fddbc1_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61975840@N04/42957704591/in/faves-155839993@N04/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Here is a pic of the training bus with Go-Ahead near Dublin Airport. I found this on Flickr tonight.

42957704591_9df8fddbc1_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61975840@N04/42957704591/in/faves-155839993@N04/

Former London Bus by the looks of things

Formerly of Oxford Bus Company. I think they've shipped around five of them over for training.

Also, it's not quite visible in the picture, but because Go-Ahead's depot has yet to open, the legal lettering on the nearside currently gives the address of their solicitors' office.

Formerly of Oxford Bus Company. I think they've shipped around five of them over for training.

Also, it's not quite visible in the picture, but because Go-Ahead's depot has yet to open, the legal lettering on the nearside currently gives the address of their solicitors' office.

Really I assumed it was a London bus as it's rare to see a dual door bus in the UK outside London. Looks in good shape for 03.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Really I assumed it was a London bus as it's rare to see a dual door bus in the UK outside London. Looks in good shape for 03.

Might have been in London before Oxford.

Very typical of operators to keep buses in London for first few years of their life then cascade them elsewhere, often removing the centre doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Reason they look fresh is the new shiny wrap and that model was kept same for so long.

Has anyone here started training etc with go ahead yet. If so what's it like so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Training bus went through Tallaght Village earlier today. 2003 registered, single deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I got the call today..I don’t start with them till September

ax586 wrote: »
    I got the call today..I don’t start with them till September

Congrats. Do you already have the D licence, or are they training you?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Thanks..yea I’ve the full D license already.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

What money do they offer?

It starts at €14.50 per hour goes up each year then for 5 years but that's the mystery nobody seems to know by how much at what the top rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

ax586 wrote: »
    Thanks..yea I’ve the full D license already.

Congrats on that. What was the interview like? how many interviewed you?

Just wondering what sort of training did they say you'd be getting, route training etc?

• Advertisement

Intreview is handy enough. Assessment on rules of the road etc. Then medical takes about 3 hrs in total though.

soundman45 wrote: »
    Then medical takes about 3 hrs in total though.

Like most medicals that require a urine test, much of that three hours is taken up by grown men being plied with water because they can't pee.

Also as some previous posters here would have you believe they drop you off in dunlaoire and time you to see how long it takes you to get back to Ballymount as when.you work for them apparently you finish your shift in bray and walk back to Ballymount not like the privileged dublin bus workers that drove back to depots.

walk back to Ballymount not like the privileged dublin bus workers that drove back to depots.

Not always some DB drivers take the bus back to the depot as a passenger on an in service rather than dead running back to the depot. Driver changes in DL or Bray driver takes 46a back to the depot for break if there's enough time or to collect car or bike at the end of a shift or takes bus home from DL at the end of a shift. Hardly any buses serve Ballymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ITV2

The reliable 56A does.

Go Ahead have released an update on their progress - key points highlighted below.
    https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/newsroom-2/go-ahead-ireland-enjoys-surge-recruitment-depot-nears-completion/

Go Ahead have seen approx 1,300 applicants for employment in the company.
    In 2017, GAI won a competitive tender, run by the National Transport Authority, to take over the operation of 24 Outer Dublin Metropolitan Area (ODMA) bus routes. As part of the contract agreement GAI committed to working collaboratively as they establish their business operation in Ireland. In early July, the company will officially open their new bus depot in Ballymount, Dublin 12, where the majority of colleagues will be based.

"In order to service the 24 bus routes, we began recruiting for approximately 350 bus drivers in April and as of today we have received in excess of 1,300 applicants from both licence and non-licence holders. We are delighted at the quality of applications and numbers interested in having a career with us here in GAI", concluded Ed Wills.

Go-Ahead Ireland has signed an agreement with SIPTU to provide GAI with sole recognition for its employees
    After a detailed consultation process GAI is pleased to announce an agreement with SIPTU (Services Industrial Professional and Technical Union). The agreement ensures our drivers and general operatives are represented in a mutually beneficial manner. We look forward to working alongside SIPTU now and into the future on matters relating to collective bargaining", said Ed Wills, Managing Director of GAI at today's announcement.

It's also been confirmed that Go-Ahead Ireland will begin to operate the 24 routes from September 2018 and complete the process by January 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

It starts at €14.50 per hour goes up each year then for 5 years but that's the mystery nobody seems to know by how much at what the top rate is.

That's yellow pack wages for someone in such a responsible job.

It should be more like 20 Euro per Hour.

It's good the have recognised a trade union from the beginning. Starting rate is just that and if there is a decent rate of increase for staff it shouldn't be a problem to retain drivers. So many dublin bus employees want to see this fail and are happy to post negative comments here but the reality will be the NTA and Go Ahead will not let this happen if anything I would say bus operator's with contacts coming up for renewal will be at risk of being taken over by Go Ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

It's good the have recognised a trade union from the beginning. Starting rate is just that and if there is a decent rate of increase for staff it shouldn't be a problem to retain drivers. So many dublin bus employees want to see this fail and are happy to post negative comments here but the reality will be the NTA and Go Ahead will not let this happen if anything I would say bus operator's with contacts coming up for renewal will be at risk of being taken over by Go Ahead.

It's almost guaranteed to fail in the long term.

You only have to look at the UK and other countries to see that.

Privatization of public services has been a disaster just about everywhere its been tried.

• Advertisement

Dr Brown wrote: »
    It's almost guaranteed to fail in the long term.

You only have to look at the UK and other countries to see that.

Privatization of public services has been a disaster just about everywhere its been tried.

It is not privatisation as nothing is being sold.

Advertisement