Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anything for the 17.

Nothing really as far as I can see, a rebalancing of times here and there, no changes to the number of stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Anything for the 17.

Heard a rumour the 17 is meant to get a fairly hefty increase in frequency becoming every 20 mins M-F during the day and every 30 mins evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

There are some great changes coming as part of this phase.

At a glance:

Route 17 - Gets a big increase in departures especially on Sunday where it’s up from 8 departures per day to almost 30.

Route 104 - Increase in weekend times particularly on Sunday. Extended to Clontarf

Route 114 - Similar number of departures but now operates on Sundays

Route 161 - Now has a few more departures throughout the day Monday to Friday. No weekend service.

Route 220 - Doubling in frequency and extended to DCU

Route 236 - Doubling the number of departures Monday to Friday

Route 238 - Increase in frequency

Route 239 - Doubling in frequency and now operating on Sunday

Route 270 - Slight change in frequency

Overall this is a great boost in service for bus passengers especially off peak and weekends.

Maybe I got a bit confused, there certainly looks like more 17s now but there seems to be gaps of 40 minutes from BlackRock at times of the day.

thomasj wrote: »
    Maybe I got a bit confused, there certainly looks like more 17s now but there seems to be gaps of 40 minutes from BlackRock at times of the day.

It’s roughly every 20 minutes until after 6pm and then becomes every 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

Where can these timetables be found?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Where can these timetables be found?

Transport For Ireland Journey Planner

KD345 wrote: »
    Transport For Ireland Journey Planner

It gets a bit confusing looking them up because it shows up both the current Dublin bus times and the new planned times.

thomasj wrote: »
    It gets a bit confusing looking them up because it shows up both the current Dublin bus times and the new planned times.

Yes I could only find the current DB times

Yes I could only find the current DB times

No the new times are definitely there. The existing services say operated by Dublin bus the new ones don't . But it you need to pick a date like after the 20th February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

The 17 timetable increases are to be welcomed of course but I suspect most regular users of it would be happy with the existing frequency if it was more reliable. In that respect I'm not sure a different operator will change anything on it.

john boye wrote: »
    The 17 timetable increases are to be welcomed of course but I suspect most regular users of it would be happy with the existing frequency if it was more reliable. In that respect I'm not sure a different operator will change anything on it.

Yes but the current timetable is quite inconsistent every 35 mins is the off peak frequency which is quite confusing compared to every 20 or 30 mins where you are more likely to know the times as they are more consistent. Also this route will be far more frequent in evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Is the 220 still serving Shangan Road? Was just thinking the other day how they could extend it to DCU, smart decision imo

john boye wrote: »

I used to use the 17 regularly to get up to Dundrum/Blackrock. It was often unreliable, sometimes had busses not even showing up.

The 175 certainly didn't help its case as it goes from UCD to Dundrum in ~20 mins, whereas the 17 takes longer going through clonskeagh plus the walk from the stop at the Dundrum end.

p_haugh wrote: »
    Is the 220 still serving Shangan Road? Was just thinking the other day how they could extend it to DCU, smart decision imo

Yes, it appears to be looping via Shangan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

Yes but the current timetable is quite inconsistent every 35 mins is the off peak frequency which is quite confusing compared to every 20 or 30 mins where you are more likely to know the times as they are more consistent. Also this route will be far more frequent in evenings and weekends.

Yes like I said the frequency improvements are to be welcomed but I hope they come with a bit more running time or they will suffer the same issues as the current timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SafetyPin

I tried to get a look at the timetables on the journey planner but the pdf won't load, any chance of a link or screenshot? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

KD345 wrote: »
    Route 270 - Slight change in frequency

Going through the journey planner (man that is a pain to search), and I'd switch out "slight" for "practically none"... Okay, the Sunday service starts earlier - very handy - but they seem to have thrown the clockface departures out the window and they are instead a little random in what time of the hour they depart at.

Also, the departure times are still useless for people trying to get to the Centre to start work on the hour. Very disappointed.

SafetyPin wrote: »
    I tried to get a look at the timetables on the journey planner but the pdf won't load, any chance of a link or screenshot? Cheers

It seems to work best on the web app: https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_DM_REQUEST?itdLPxx_template=odvbox&language=en

I went to the departures tab and put in the stop number (say stop 1380 for the start of the 17 to Blackrock). Put the date to any time after the 20th January. It will show two different 17s, one that just says Blackrock DART(GAI I presume) and Blackrock, Outside Train Station(Dublin Bus).

Took me a while to figure it out. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Any word on changes to the 76/A when GAI take over? heard a couple of people mention route changes but they could be mixing it up with bus connects, route could certainly do with some tweaks suffers horrible at peak times with traffic and leaves people behind on the daily due to crush loadings. Even boarded one today before 4pm in clondalkin village and i was the last people let on.

• Advertisement

Any word on changes to the 76/A when GAI take over? heard a couple of people mention route changes but they could be mixing it up with bus connects, route could certainly do with some tweaks suffers horrible at peak times with traffic and leaves people behind on the daily due to crush loadings. Even boarded one today before 4pm in clondalkin village and i was the last people let on.

Probably won't hear anything until ~2 weeks before the changeover, the same as the other routes that switched over.

So if they're changing on the 2nd Feb, we should hear around the 19th

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well theres a disrepancy in the Grifeen area. Bus just completely drives through it, was suggesting to link with the start of the 151 line, and then add stops on the Ballyowen road so that it links back up with the 25s. Wouldn't add too much time to a bus that I've never seen beyond 25% capacity.

Its the NTA you'd need to be onto. GAI aren't involved in route design.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Is the 18 not swapping in the next batch? Is it the last route to swap?

stop wrote: »
    Is the 18 not swapping in the next batch? Is it the last route to swap?

Yes along with the 76/a which are meant to transfer on 10th February but this date could change

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Its the NTA you'd need to be onto. GAI aren't involved in route design.

I contacted both. Only GAI bothered replying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Could someone help me in a discussion with co worker. At induction we where told the driving hours where changed for city buses from 4 and a half to 5 and a half we where also told the max we could work is 90 hours in two weeks. My co worker has worked more then this and when I said that was against regs he said that was also changed but I can't find any proof of this other then his rota.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Here we go wrote: »
    Could someone help me in a discussion with co worker. At induction we where told the driving hours where changed for city buses from 4 and a half to 5 and a half we where also told the max we could work is 90 hours in two weeks. My co worker has worked more then this and when I said that was against regs he said that was also changed but I can't find any proof of this other then his rota.

See here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108432687&postcount=2661

90 hours is still the max, it is set by an EU Regulation and can't be changed by domestic regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Here we go wrote: »

A wise man once said..."A verbal agreement ain't worth the paper it's not written on" and ne'er a truer word was ever spoken.

Assuming you have been provided with a written and signed,contract of employment,then I would make that the first stop in any further investigation.

I would strongly advise against Canteen/Cab/Footplate consultations with friendly co-workers and assorted other experts in a variety of the sciences.....It rarely ends well.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

GM228 wrote: »
    See here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108432687&postcount=2661

90 hours is still the max, it is set by an EU Regulation and can't be changed by domestic regulation.

I agree this is set by EU law, but does the 90 hour across 2 weeks Driving limit not form part of the EU rules, governing routes of 50km route length or more?

Local bus services under 50km are therefore not covered by this, same reason they are exempt from tachographs etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A wise man once said..."A verbal agreement ain't worth the paper it's not written on" and ne'er a truer word was ever spoken.

Assuming you have been provided with a written and signed,contract of employment,then I would make that the first stop in any further investigation.

I would strongly advise against Canteen/Cab/Footplate consultations with friendly co-workers and assorted other experts in a variety of the sciences.....It rarely ends well.

Pub and canteen talk should always be dismissed outright, a few examples of things I've learned from pub and canteen talk over the last few years:

-Asylum seekers get a house when they come into the country
    -You can get €500 a week on disability allowance
    -You can tell the GP you are depressed and they'll put you on disability
    -You can get a funeral grant to pay for the funeral even if you've had insurance: "no questions asked"
    -Social Welfare will pay for your electricity and heat bills and even (different person said your bins) when you're on rent subsidy or a council house.
    -The PSC and FT card has your fingerprints and DNA signature (I asked this person if they remember their prints being taken or getting a cheek swab during SAFE registration, they said no, so how can they have your prints or DNA?, I also pointed out to them that they've been to the US which means the US govt has their prints, so why is it ok for a foreign govt to have them but not yours?)

I've watched as the introduction of smart phones and social media has meant much narrower attention spans and much bigger spread of misinformation, a deadly combination. People are too lazy to read enough to look up the actual information even though it's at their fingertips now more than ever (but involves some reading, TLDR! SNORE!) and when something pops up quickly on the screen that feeds an existing belief or emotional prejudice it's hoovered right up

There is often a lot of nonsense going around about working condition laws and labour rights, I point out to people the laws not classified information acts of the oireachtas and ministerial orders are posted online and can be googled...but they don't wanna bother reading them it's hassle and ugh effort. They'll burn energy having a 20 min argument about it but not do 5 minutes of reading to resolve it. Having the correct info is boring LOLZ! Anyway I was watching love island.......Ok so I'm being a bit unfair...but not by much.

Advertisement