Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

May be like was vs. Canelo..

150.5 on weigh in and apparently 150 in the ring.

I don't think Floyd was cutting weight so to speak, but he was trying and putting work in and sweating and reaching a state of fighting fit. It happened to be 149.5

I doubt 3 months ago he was 150 or so. More 155/156 looking at him.

Anyway, maybe we'll get fight weights later when due in the ring..

I'd be a little surprised he is 150 or 149.5.

I reckon 153..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

walshb wrote: »
    I don't think Floyd was cutting weight so to speak, but he was trying and putting work in and sweating and reaching a state of fighting fit. It happened to be 149.5

I doubt 3 months ago he was 150 or so. More 155/156 looking at him.

Anyway, maybe we'll get fight weights later when due in the ring..

I'd be a little surprised he is 150 or 149.5.

I reckon 153..

Where is that 3 lbs to come from, though, in 24 hours. Unless he was cutting it. I can see .5 to 1lb

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gervonta Davis missed weight by 2 pounds and stripped of his title. His opponent can still win the belt. Mayweather not happy with that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm sure he's was fighting and training and sweating in the last few weeks. How much sweating did he do on weigh-in day? Probably not a whole lot. I could understand a fighter close to the limit having to watch his food/water on weigh-in day and putting on in the next day.
    But if he was 149. There's was no need for him to be hungry or dehydrated in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not a fan of mcgregors mouth and I know it is part of the show. However he is Irish and successful and I'll be rooting for him in about 24 hours.

And more importantly his opponent is a woman beater. No brainer really.

cletus wrote: »
    Where is that 3 lbs to come from, though, in 24 hours. Unless he was cutting it. I can see .5 to 1lb

3 lbs probably from lazing around and relaxing. Hydrating via liquids..not rehydrating. Food for fuel and energy...

Close to 153..

3 lbs probably from lazing around and relaxing. Hydrating via liquids..not rehydrating. Food for fuel and energy...

Close to 153..

In 24 hours? Just don't see it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Agreed, he didn't look dehydrated so he'd need a huge calorie intake in order to put on 3lbs. I'd say 1lb max he can put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gintonious wrote: »
    Stressed, rattled, doesn't matter.

I don't know what you were watching, or if you have seen a Mayweather event before, he always gets booed. Rattled my arse.

He did what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

walshb wrote:
    Anyone think the smart money is DQ win for Floyd?

Even as a non gambler, this is something that has been going through my mind recently.

Not for the reasons that you stated, but due to instinct. The clinch will be interesting as Conor will have to ignore his trained instincts not to use elbows or knees. I could see a scenario where Conor momentarily forgets he's in a boxing match, catches Floyd with an elbow and knocks him down. DQ win for Floyd the result obviously.

Of course I will add that I don't expect this to happen but certainly it's a possibility.

3lbs is feck all if you're relaxing and chilling and ingesting.

I don't think Conor should be gorging himself back to say 170.

8-10 lbs is more than enough in 30 hrs or so..

McGregor won't be gorging to put weight back on. Vast majority of what he lost is water weight, his body will absorb that relatively quickly, homeostasis will take care of that :D

If Floyd didn't cut for this weigh in, 3lbs is a lot to put on in a day. What do you think that weight would consist of? He's not putting on muscle in that length of time, nor is he laying down fat stores. If he puts on 3lbs of water weight without having cut it first, he really will be bloated

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah 4lb is close to 2kg... fook me I wish I could put on 2kg in 24 hours before I play a match! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mayweather said he weighed 153 in interview with Ariel Helwani the other night.

Also nice to see Imelda May being brought in. She's an aunt to one of Conors friends or at least an old friend of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have been trying to convince myself that this will be anything other than the usual boring, unexciting but masterful Floyd performance. I'd thought initially he might TKO him due to ref or corner storage but I don't think he'll work hard enough for it or risk his hands on McGregor's big hard dome. McGregor's only chance is to swarm him from the beginning and swing for the fences from the first bell. Floyd will just cover up and take everything he's got on the gloves and arms for a round or two before going to work.

Mayweather UD 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Off topic but if anyone looking to buy a phone, theres a shop in dublin that will refund you the cost of the phone plus give you the phone....if mcgregor wins haha

McGregor won't be gorging to put weight back on. Vast majority of what he lost is water weight, his body will absorb that relatively quickly, homeostasis will take care of that :D

If Floyd didn't cut for this weigh in, 3lbs is a lot to put on in a day. What do you think that weight would consist of? He's not putting on muscle in that length of time, nor is he laying down fat stores. If he puts on 3lbs of water weight without having cut it first, he really will be bloated

I don't necessarily mean gorging in a gluttonous way..

But 17/20 lbs in 30 hrs is excessive IMO..if that's what he puts on

I don't necessarily mean gorging in a gluttonous way..

But 17/20 lbs in 30 hrs is excessive IMO..if that's what he puts on

Like I said though, most of that is water, he won't be eating 20lbs of sausages and chips

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He can only put on weight by hydrating and eating if he was under hydrated or under fed today. And I see no reason why he would be.
    I can see any reason why his behaviour would be different Friday to Saturday.

McGregor won't be putting on any weight. It's putting back on water he shed. No gorging, no excess. Just rehydrate, eat and drink as normal and it goes back on.

Only partially putting the weight back would be retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

jasus do some lads not even understand how weight cut works

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Mayweather said he weighed 153 in interview with Ariel Helwani the other night.

Also nice to see Imelda May being brought in. She's an aunt to one of Conors friends or at least an old friend of his.

A bit sh!t of her to cancel her gig in England at such short notice when people will have already paid for hotels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Well I've completely changed my mind, Conor to win in round 5.

I'm 100% convinced he'll win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

McGregor to clip him behind the ear with the left hand to knock him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A bit sh!t of her to cancel her gig in England at such short notice when people will have already paid for hotels etc

True, but it's also a chance for her to sing the Irish national anthem, for an Irish sporting giant (yeah, I said it) in front of a massive international audience.

Still **** for anyone that really wanted to see her, but chances to see her are a dime a dozen. This is a once off opportunity for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Will she be doing Ireland's Call as well?

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Will she be doing Ireland's Call as well?

Whatever she's doing I'll have the mute button ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

So I have a NOWTV box, that I've never used before but decided to bust it out for the PPV.

Turns out SKY are contracting the fight to a company called 'Neulion' for the streaming of the fight as you can see here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-sky-sports-box-office-events-on-now-tv

But would you f*ckin believe it, their site is down when you try to order the fight.

http://skyboxoffice.neulion.com/

Unbelievable. Absolute amateurs, and makes me worry for the stream quality very much, if their website has crashed.

Edit: back up again now, but you'd think they'd have a server that can handle the traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The sites not down for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thought I read she was due to play a festival so not as bad as cancelling a standalone gig.

Plus it's too big a stage to turn down. Fair play to her.

Advertisement