Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is august the start of autumn in Ireland and not the rest of Europe.

Options
  • 01-08-2017 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Does anyone find it odd why in Ireland august is the start of autumn while in the UK, and elsewhere in Europe it is still summer, in Ireland the different seasons start a month earlier than everywhere else, why is that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's this silly idea that we should stick to pagan seasons.

Today is climatically not Autumn, it's still Summer and will be until mid September.

Met Eireann also have summer as June, July August.

A lot of it stems from people's belief that February 1st is the first day of Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Theres only one season in Ireland.the ****ing rainy season.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Celtic calendar was based around hours of sunlight, as opposed to the actual weather. Summer solstice is in June, so June is the middle of summer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The EU pen pushers have swooped in and taken so much of our individuality and our culture and now we can't even have our own fecking summers anymore?

I think this is the last straw. If they try to force us to harmonise our summers we should vote to have an Ixit. I already have beef with them over the foreign sunny weather they have been sending our direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Yes even at school the teachers used to say spring begins in February, summer begins in may, autumn begins in August, and winter begins in november, while in the UK all those months are in winter, spring, summer and autumn respectively, those are the seasons those months should be in, and yet in this country they are in the wrong seasons, it needs to be changed so every month is in the correct season.

• Advertisement

The EU pen pushers have swooped in and taken so much of our individuality and our culture and now we can't even have our own fecking summers anymore?

I think this is the last straw. If they try to force us to harmonise our summers we should vote to have an Ixit. I already have beef with them over the foreign sunny weather they have been sending our direction.

It is nothing to do with the EU.

It's science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Not this thread again!!! Been done to death at this stage. It must be the silly season all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Because Ireland doesn't really have summers, come on. A bit of sunshine between all the pis5es doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's this silly idea that we should stick to pagan seasons.
    Seasons are a social construct as much as a meteorological one. Some places have as many as 7 seasons.
    Today is climatically not Autumn
    I saw dead leaves on the footpath. :)
    Met Eireann also have summer as June, July August.
    As do many meteorological agencies - easier to record as equinoxes and solstices can fall on different days each year.
    Mutant z wrote: »
    Yes even at school the teachers used to say spring begins in February, summer begins in may, autumn begins in August, and winter begins in november, while in the UK all those months are in winter, spring, summer and autumn respectively, those are the seasons those months should be in, and yet in this country they are in the wrong seasons, it needs to be changed so every month is in the correct season.
    Actually, in Britain, May Day was the start of summer.
    The EU pen pushers
    You do realise that every EU is done by consensus - these are things we have agreed to, not forced upon us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Theres only one season in Ireland.the ****ing rainy season.

What about Duck and Rabbit seasons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nobody is dictating when anybody considers any season to begin or end.

This nonsense comes up every February, May, August, and November.

Meteorology it is still Summer. Old traditions say otherwise. It's hardly earth shattering or impacting on any of our lives which ever we choose to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

August is often the hottest month of the year, ergo, summer, no possible argument.

Victor wrote: »
    AQctually, in Britain, May Day was the start of summer.

May is spring in the UK, summer doesnt start there until early to mid june, but most certainly isn't in may like it is over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nobody is dictating when anybody considers any season to begin or end.

This nonsense comes up every February, May, August, and November.

Meteorology it is still Summer. Old traditions say otherwise. It's hardly earth shattering or impacting on any of our lives which ever we choose to go by.

Everyone who thinks August is the start of Autumn should read the above post.

August is one of the top 3 warmest months and therefore Met Eireann classify August as being in summer, just as May is in Spring, February is in Winter and November is the last month of Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You do realise that every EU is done by consensus - these are things we have agreed to, not forced upon us.

Since the Lisbon treaty they can more easily force things on us. Anyway they all meet in secret in an underground dungeon place with torches on the wall and decide which unpopular measures they support but would never publicly own up to supporting they're going to bring in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

In terms of daylight hours it actually makes sense to view the seasons in Ireland as being Feb/Mar/Apr for Spring, May/June/July for Summer, Aug/Sept/Oct as Autumn and Nov/Dec/Jan as Winter.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Everyone who thinks August is the start of Autumn should read the above post.

August is one of the top 3 warmest months and therefore Met Eireann classify August as being in summer, just as May is in Spring, February is in Winter and November is the last month of Autumn.

The average temperatures of those months should concur with that, those are the correct seasons for those months, Met Eireann judge it on a scientific basis and not on a certain calender.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Seasons are as follows:
    Spring- March 21st to June 20th
    Summer- June 21st to September 20th
    Autumn- September 21st to December 20th
    Winter - December 21st to March 20th.

Equinox and solstice.

Seasons are a social construct as much as a meteorological one. Some places have as many as 7 seasons.

Care to name these imaginary seasons?

Most likely the wind blew them down and leaves die then.

Actually, in Britain, May Day was the start of summer.

This is totally not true.

UK met office use the Equinoxes and solstices as season change dates So Summer started on June 21 and ends on September 20/21. Link Here

Irish Meteorological Services has rounded it down to June July and August as summer as shown below, which is an excerpt from website page about seasons.
    Seasons

The change from winter to spring or from summer to autumn is gradual and the general trend is subject to reversals which may last for a week or more. For Climatological purposes, on the basis of air temperature, seasons are regarded as three - month periods as follows: December to February - winter, March to May - spring, June to August - summer and September to November - autumn. This is a common grouping in the meteorological practice of many countries in the middle and northern latitudes.

In terms of daylight hours it actually makes sense to view the seasons in Ireland as being Feb/Mar/Apr for Spring, May/June/July for Summer, Aug/Sept/Oct as Autumn and Nov/Dec/Jan as Winter.

Seasons are not determined by daylight hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Seasons are as follows:
    Spring- March 21st to June 20th
    Summer- June 21st to September 20th
    Autumn- September 21st to December 20th
    Winter - December 21st to March 20th.

Equinox and solstice.

Wrong. Those are astronomical seasons.

Meteorological season are correct: https://www.met.ie/education/pdfs_eng/YP%20Fun%20Facts%20Seasons.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What I wrote last time

Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
    For me it's the trends of both light, temperature and phenology that make August autumn and February Spring. Autumn is the 2nd warmest month alright, but it's the fact that it's starting to get cooler again, combined with the noticeable decrease in light and how the plants are changing from growth to filling and fruiting, it creates a different feeling to the previous months, the opposite case for February

September is on average much warmer than may, but it's still on a negative trend. Temps decrease from a max in July to a min in January, lagging behind the decreasing insolation, this is reflected by the plants and all together the trends make the seasons for me. It depends what the season means for you I gues

What I wrote last time

Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
    For me it's the trends of both light, temperature and phenology that make August autumn and February Spring. Autumn is the 2nd warmest month alright, but it's the fact that it's starting to get cooler again, combined with the noticeable decrease in light and how the plants are changing from growth to filling and fruiting, it creates a different feeling to the previous months, the opposite case for February

September is on average much warmer than may, but it's still on a negative trend. Temps decrease from a max in July to a min in January, lagging behind the decreasing insolation, this is reflected by the plants and all together the trends make the seasons for me. It depends what the season means for you I gues

That's because it's the last month of Summer and changeover to Autumn.

I don't see how you can say that August is starting to get cooler whilst also being the second warmest month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's because it's the last month of Summer and changeover to Autumn.

I don't see how you can say that August is starting to get cooler whilst also being the second warmest month.

Because it comes after the warmest, if you look at the temperature graph you see August is where the slope changes direction

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Because it is Autumn - had to stick the heat on last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Care to name these imaginary seasons?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season
    In temperate and subpolar regions, four calendar-based seasons are generally recognized: spring, summer, autumn or fall, and winter. Ecologists often use a six-season model for temperate climate regions: prevernal, vernal, estival, serotinal, autumnal, and hibernal. Many tropical regions have two seasons: the rainy, wet, or monsoon season and the dry season. Some have a third cool, mild, or harmattan season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In dry conditions trees drop leaves to reduce water loss. It's quite normal to have dead leaves dropped in high summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Spring - March/April/May

Summer - June/July/August

Autumn - September/October/November

Winter - December/January/February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

All hail Lugh, the bringer of light. Let's go build a wicker man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Summer ends when the wee'uns go back to school. The coastal waters of Ireland are at thier warmest in August and September.

Advertisement