Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is august the start of autumn in Ireland and not the rest of Europe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Isn't the 21st of Sept technically the last day of Summer?

I find September and early October the most pleasant months weather wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

weather patterns have changed
    definitely think we should change it
    children get quite confused by it in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 13,392 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It follows growth if you had to live off growing grass you'd see how they follow the Seasons and had them bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

February feels like Spring to me because that's when the flowers start coming up and the lambs start appearing in the fields. I just can't wrap my head around February being winter, now matter what anyone says. The days are getting longer and it puts me in a good mood after the dark dreary winter.

In other countries they still have snow in February so it's normal for them to see it as winter. I think in Ireland the seasons follow the farming calendar
    Spring - plant the harvest
    Summer - it grows
    Autumn - harvest the crops
    Winter - everything looks dead

I will never accept that June is Spring :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Theres only one season in Ireland.the ****ing rainy season.
    That's not true.

the rain is colder in winter

Seriously we have 5 seasons. The fifth being that little winter we get around the start of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Autumn my bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

September is a great month though. The first week at least when the kiddies go back to school. A guaranteed heatwave (Indian summer) that week :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I'm the same as you Paddy Cow, the 1st of February will always be the 1st day of Spring to me. I know the weather can still be quiet wintry, but the stretch in the evenings and the lambs hopping about in the fields def gives me the feeling of Spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I follow the astronomical seasons.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I fully accept that the correct scientific/meteorological way is Summer as June July and August etc, and that that's how it's done worldwide, so that's what I use. But I have to admit that in my own head it seems more logical to divide the year based on daylight which is much more predictable and exact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Its thanks to business speaking tits.

Once upon a time a product would be available in the spring..

Now it is Q1,2,3 or 4.

A product for release in "Q4" could be any fecking date depending if you go by seasons or office bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Esel wrote: »
    I follow the astronomical seasons.

Bit of an ol' chill in the solar winds lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bit of an ol' chill in the solar winds lately.

Solar wind chill is not to be sneezed at.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Of course we should remember that while it's summer here, the other half of the solar system is in the dephts of winter. And vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Given the seasons seem to be pushing on a bit anyway in terms of what sort of weather "constants" we get during each season, it would seem sensible to push what months we consider in which season on a bit anyway, at least in line with the rest of Europe. On the other hand, given the four seasons don't really mean much outside a Vivaldi concert, it probably doesn't matter a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

murpho999 wrote: »
    It is nothing to do with the EU.

It's science.

Are the combines in the fields not big enough for science?
    Are the ripe blackberries in the ditches beyond its visual spectrum?
    Is the back-to-school stuff in shops not scientific?

It very much is a BS harmonisation attempt by a creeping meglomaniac outfit who used to be a help but of late have been an ever increasing hindrance. We are very much moving into the Irish autumn. I live in Ireland ergo I don't care what way other countries want to do their calendar. I certainly feel no obligation to look over my shoulder to copy them and cast out millenia of my own people's tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why is august the start of autumn in Ireland and not the rest of Europe..

Not sure that its officially the start of Autumn (although it feels like it), but I am always fascinated the way Summer kicks off in August across the water, while our summer is gently coming to a close! The weather certainly feels autumnal today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Winter winter winter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If you go on the basis that all four seasons are, in theory, the same length (91 days), and that June 21st is midsummer's day (as it is widely known), that would imply that "summer" would have started 45 days before (May 8th). Therefore....
    Summer begins May 8th
    Autumn begins August 7th
    Winter begins November 7th
    Spring begins February 6th

Probably a major oversimplification on my part, but that's my take on it. However; For me, august has always been classed as summer (though looking out the window at the moment would convince you otherwise).
    :(

For me;
    Spring = March to May
    "Summer" (!) = June to August
    Autumn = September to November
    Winter = December to February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

topper75 wrote: »
    Are the combines in the fields not big enough for science?
    Are the ripe blackberries in the ditches beyond its visual spectrum?
    Is the back-to-school stuff in shops not scientific?

It very much is a BS harmonisation attempt by a creeping meglomaniac outfit who used to be a help but of late have been an ever increasing hindrance. We are very much moving into the Irish autumn. I live in Ireland ergo I don't care what way other countries want to do their calendar. I certainly feel no obligation to look over my shoulder to copy them and cast out millenia of my own people's tradition.

Where is anybody asking you to accept a date for a season? Where is this harmonisation attempt you refer to? Do your own thing. You don't care when others consider a season to begin and you can rest assured that they really don't give a damn when you think a season starts either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Where is anybody asking you to accept a date for a season? Where is this harmonisation attempt you refer to? Do your own thing. You don't care when others consider a season to begin and you can rest assured that they really don't give a damn when you think a season starts either.

I'm still waiting for summer - we've had less sunshine here, [southern England], than Shetland. I know what summer is - and this ain't it!
    As a Remainer, I'd happily blame the EU for this unseasonable weather, [we seem to be blaming them for everything else over here], but I don't think that will wash.
    Speaking of washing, I want a few good days to hang mine out on the line.

blueser wrote: »
    If you go on the basis that all four seasons are, in theory, the same length (91 days), and that June 21st is midsummer's day (as it is widely known), that would imply that "summer" would have started 45 days before (May 8th). Therefore....
    Summer begins May 8th
    Autumn begins August 7th
    Winter begins November 7th
    Spring begins February 6th

Probably a major oversimplification on my part, but that's my take on it. However; For me, august has always been classed as summer (though looking out the window at the moment would convince you otherwise).
    :(

For me;
    Spring = March to May
    "Summer" (!) = June to August
    Autumn = September to November
    Winter = December to February
    That's pretty much the Irish seasons, just off by about a week but we won't get that pedantic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Seasons are as follows:
    Spring- March 21st to June 20th
    Summer- June 21st to September 20th
    Autumn- September 21st to December 20th
    Winter - December 21st to March 20th.

Equinox and solstice.

Interesting that Summer begins on midsummer's eve; is summer just 2 days? Likewise with winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

1st February isn't Spring, it's definitely closer to Winter than Spring ...

There are bursts of Spring-like weather from the latter part of February but only a novice would put away the winter jacket before Paddy's Day!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    1st February isn't Spring, it's definitely closer to Winter than Spring ...

There are bursts of Spring-like weather from the latter part of February but only a novice would put away the winter jacket before Paddy's Day!
    I wouldn't be putting away the winter jacket after Paddy's Day. The heat goes off in my house in April and that's just for financial reasons :o If I could afford it, I would be putting the heat back on in the last couple of weeks in August because people can claim all they want that August is the hottest month but it can turn fecking cold (the days might be warmer but they're also shorter and the evenings can be quite chilly). Unfortunately I have storage heaters so can't just turn them on to warm up the place :( They go on at the end of September and stay on until April. My electricity bills are insane but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

August is summer because it's peak holiday taking time, the worst time to go travelling anywhere due to crowds. It's silly season in politics. The 6-1 News is a half hour long and presented by Angus O' Fabulous or whatever he's called. It's summer because when you think back to when you were a kid, some of the best, school free days occurred in August. It was all sun, Mr. Freezes' and 99's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

The OP is all new news to me.

The school Summer holidays are June, July & August or just July & August.
    July, August & early September are the warmest times of the year.

Sometimes a later Easter is in May and Easter is always in Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Tis the season to be Jolly

tra la la la la, la la la la

• Registered Users Posts: 13,392 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tis the season to be Jolly

tra la la la la, la la la la

Sure the Christmas Holidays are nearly over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's Autumn, shaddap.

Season of mellow fruitfulness. Of course it's not cold!

Advertisement